Author Topic: school readiness help plz????  (Read 356 times)

sweetgirl

school readiness help plz????
« on: August 18, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
Please help. My son is suppose to be starting big school next year, but we've had problems with his daycare and now in the rush to find a placement at another pre school. I've found a few placements but with the Australian school terms different from American we are running it really late and only have till start of february to get him prepared.

How can I prepare him at home with activities, to work coincide with daycare? I cant afford him to go everyday and I want to be able to do things that will benefit what he will learn at pre school. He already knows alot of what is required of him to start kindy, but their are other aspects that need work on. I am looking into a tutor, but other than that I dont know what else I can do. I do his abc's,numbers,colours,animals etc: already and that has come from me, not the school. But I want to know what else I can do to insure he is set to go to kindy next year, and not pushed back a year.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
Re: school readiness help plz????
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »
You'd probably be better off at a homeschooling forum - they will likely have detailed lists of things you can do with him.  Some of our members do homeschool so maybe they can point you in the right direction, otherwise googling "homeschooling for X age group" might do the trick.

Good luck.

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: school readiness help plz????
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
I'd start by contacting the school where he will be going to kindergarten. They will be able to tell you what they are looking for in kindergarten readiness.

If he already knows the alphabet and his colors and such, he sounds like he is pretty prepared. What are the other aspects you are concerned about? Hiring a tutor seems a strong reaction to getting into kindergarten. Is there something specific that is worrying you?

Have you moved from Australia to the US, or the other way round? I'm not quite clear on that, and it would be easier to help you out if we knew.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn