Author Topic: Sometimes....the only option is to laugh....  (Read 1072 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Sometimes....the only option is to laugh....
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
BG: I have two computers in my office. I do 95% of my work on the Mac, the rest on the PC.

There is only one other PC in the building. Because the two see limited use and are "oldish" machines, we don't install every update because it just eats up memory. They haven't had any software updates in 5+ years.

Also very, very relevant - I am NOT in IT. I am a clerk. A geeky clerk, but a clerk. Not IT, nope, nohow.
End BG

I arrive at work today and am walking through Other Department. Coworker glares at me and barks "Your computer....." and shakes his finger at the PC in Other Department.

"That's not my computer!" I protest. (Really, it's not. The only relation to me is that I set up a spreadsheet on it - a spreadsheet, I might add, that other people use, not me.)

"What's wrong with it?" I sigh, since the chorus of responses was "But you use PCs more than us!"

"It won't work! It's updating!"

{good grief, thinks I, now we're really in trouble}
"Uh....someone must have accidently told it to update when they tried to close to update notice. They shouldn't have done that...."

Other coworker chimes in "Well, we upgraded the memory, so we installed the updates."  :o

"So...let me get this right..."and by now, this is so preposterous that I'm laughing. "You are all yelling at me for a computer that *is not mine* is not working because of something *someone else* did to it."

Yeah, pretty much.  :D

"When it finished updating and restarts itself, I'll look at it" is all I can promise.

A little while later, I wander over, tap the space bar and discover that yes, the system has installed the updates, restarted and is now functioning perfectly.

So I went back to coworker and told him "By the way, I fixed that computer for you."  ;)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
Re: Sometimes....the only option is to laugh....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:17:42 AM »
That happens to me, a *lot*. I'm the geeky girl who has the latest phone and actually understands computers, so if anything goes wrong, rather than calling tech support in the capital city and waiting two hours for a response, they pull me away from my work and get me to look at it.

Also, I speak fluent Geek, so I can explain the problem to the Tech guys in terms that make it easy for them to fix, instead of just saying 'It's BROKEN! FIX IT, THAT'S YOUR JOB!!' over and over again, which is my boss' preferred method.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:26:48 PM »
Ooh, I always loved when I had to call IT at my library!  I'm a geek and the half-dozen people in the IT department were all crazy (in a good way), so I enjoyed when I called with a flat-out weird problem.  Which I got to do a lot, because my branch was out in the boonies and all our computers were the hand-me-downs from when nicer branches updated theirs  ::)  Things like connectivity issues were boring, because I could describe what troubleshooting steps I had taken, but I really loved stumping them.  My three favorites:

1) screen turned sideways.  I could not for the life of me find any external buttons or software menus that would fix this!

2) monitor flickered if anyone used the pencil sharpener.

3) printer died (for good) if anyone used the pencil sharpener while something was printing.  This was a real problem - we went through three printers!
- the electric pencil sharpener drew a lot of power, which was bad because
- the single electrical drop in the middle of the room didn't have any power to spare (it had to share with everything on my desk), and
- we couldn't run another electrical drop because the cord went through the attic and
- the attic was infested by hornets  :o

So I can honestly say hornets were responsible for at least two of the three dead printers  :P

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »
I think I would have ditched the electric pencil sharpener and installed an old fashioned hand crank one!

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:02:56 PM by Outdoor Girl »
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CG

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »
1) screen turned sideways.  I could not for the life of me find any external buttons or software menus that would fix this!

I can make my computer go sideways! It's in under the display settings.

We used to turn people's screens upside down if they left their computer unlocked.  You fixed it by pressing Ctrl+Up arrow.