News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 10:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Are you sure that's what you want to name the baby?"  (Read 14604 times)

xena2560

Re: "Are you sure that's what you want to name the baby?"
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »
Knew folks who wanted to give a kid ::normal name::  ::Lord of the Rings Name::

Everyone at the gathering was like, "Hobbit?"

mygwyn

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2010, 03:12:46 PM »
My daughter is named for both of her grandmothers.  Her first name is for my MIL (Virginia), her middle name is for my mother (Gwyn).  It was decided by my husband and me that she would be called by her middle name. 

My daughter is now almost 13 years old and my MIL has never called her by Gwyn, always G or GG.  My husband does it, too (he's extremely close to his mother). 

Now I wish sometimes that I hadn't honored either of them.   I should have gotten a clue when none of the 13 others were named after any of their grandparents.

You can only do what you think is best at the time.  It isn't really any one else's business.

Dexter is a lovely name.  I wish all of you the best.

ChristiKayAnn

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2010, 03:05:02 PM »

Well if it was a boy they could go with Sam and for a girl they could go with Rosie (Sam's wife) or Elinor (Sam's daughter.)

xena2560

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »
thankfully, it was only a middle name which most kids don't have to disclose.  The name had another association, which was what was intended, but it was an eye opening moment.

magicdomino

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
Is anyone else quietly reciting hobbit names?  Samwise, Frodo, Bilbo, Merry, Pippin,  . . .  ;)

anonymoose

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2010, 10:47:56 PM »
Is anyone else quietly reciting hobbit names?  Samwise, Frodo, Bilbo, Merry, Pippin,  . . .  ;)

I hope they didn't name him after Fatty Bolger!

xena2560

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
Actually, the kid wound up with something completely different.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »
There's one name test I think all baby's names should go through: Does it sound okay preceded by 'Dr.', 'the Honorable Judge', or 'President'?

If it sounds fine with any of those, it should be good enough for anybody. For the OP, the name Dexter passes the test handily, and is also the name of the lead singer of The Offspring. So he gets extra cool points by association.

Nurvingiel

« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2010, 12:22:16 AM »

Well if it was a boy they could go with Sam and for a girl they could go with Rosie (Sam's wife) or Elinor (Sam's daughter.)
IIRC a bunch of kids born in the 70s got stuck with names like Galadriel. Not a good name unless you're an elf and the Lady of Lórien.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2010, 05:13:14 AM »
There's one name test I think all baby's names should go through: Does it sound okay preceded by 'Dr.', 'the Honorable Judge', or 'President'?

If it sounds fine with any of those, it should be good enough for anybody. For the OP, the name Dexter passes the test handily, and is also the name of the lead singer of The Offspring. So he gets extra cool points by association.

Interesting-I don't think the first name of the US Secretary of State in the last administration would have passed this smell test.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

xena2560

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
It's a rule of thumb, not a constant.  My personal preference is to name a kid something unusual but heard of before.  My one sibling, Katrina, was named because the name had been popular among the dutch founders of my state - kind of like Katrina Von Tassel in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.