Author Topic: S/O Gross/unethical pictures  (Read 3478 times)

Mopsy428

S/O Gross/unethical pictures
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »
BG: My cousin "Sarah" lives in a different state, which is about a 12 hour drive from where I live. Her friend "Tammy" lives in my state. I was close to my cousin, but we've grown apart through the years. However, we catch up when she is in town. Usually Tammy tags along with Sarah, so that's how I know Tammy. Tammy and I are Facebook friends. End BG.

I logged into my Facebook, and I see that Tammy has posted this absolutely disgusting picture. To avoid making people sick, I will say she posted a lock of her patient's hair. (That is NOT what she posted, however.) I think it's extremely unethical to post a picture of your patient's hair. If I were the patient and found out, I'd be furious.

I don't know where she works, but should I mention something to her about how it's not appropriate to post those pictures and that if someone she works with finds out, she could be fired? What should I do?

Larrabee

Re: S/O Gross/unethical pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
If you do say something I'd do it privately in a PM or e-mail and I'd phrase it as a question rather than an accusation.

Maybe "Hey Tammy, are you sure you won't get into trouble for that?  What about the confidentiality laws?"

That sounds like you're concerned about her getting into trouble rather than just horrified.

If she's unrepentant, I'd check if its in fact illegal/against an ethical code of some sort and consider reporting it.  I'm about to start a new career in healthcare and I know they take patient confidentiality very very seriously where I live.

O'Dell

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
I wouldn't bother with warning her. If she has a lick of sense, she knows that she could be fired for doing that, and if she doesn't then she likely won't take your comments well.

I'd turn her in to where she works and a larger institution or organization they are affiliated with to make it harder for it to be covered up. The one experience that I've had with someone violating patient privacy is someone that is unstable and it was part of a pattern of poor judgment and unethical actions on her part. I wouldn't risk being someone to sweep that sort of thing under the rug again.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:05:07 PM »
I wouldn't bother with warning her. If she has a lick of sense, she knows that she could be fired for doing that, and if she doesn't then she likely won't take your comments well.

I'd turn her in to where she works and a larger institution or organization they are affiliated with to make it harder for it to be covered up. The one experience that I've had with someone violating patient privacy is someone that is unstable and it was part of a pattern of poor judgment and unethical actions on her part. I wouldn't risk being someone to sweep that sort of thing under the rug again.

This.  If you don't want to be named, do it anonymously.  But it's obvious she is showing poor judgement...can you imagine what she does when no one is looking?

Amava

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »
If we pm you and guess correctly what it really was, do we win a prize?

Just kidding.

I have seen people, who worked in the medical field, post pictures online that almost definitely broke the confidentiality of their job. But I have say that it is the first time I hear of someone who is stupid enough to do it non-anonymously. :o

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »

This.  If you don't want to be named, do it anonymously.  But it's obvious she is showing poor judgement...can you imagine what she does when no one is looking?

ITA.  Get a screencap and crop it so your information doesn't show and it to them.

Larrabee

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »
Hmm, I guess it depends on how well you know or like Tammy, but I think it might be worth giving her a chance to remove the offending image and possibly save her job.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:34:20 PM »
Are you sure Tammy did this and that her account was not hacked or subject to a virus?
Would hate for her to get in trouble or lose her job over something she didn't actually do.

I would just report the pic to facebook and let them handle it.

Darcy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »

This.

She is violating patient privacy, which is both unethical and illegal.

Hillia

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »

This.

POD. She knows perfectly well that this is wrong on many, many levels.  And she's exposing her employer to severe sanctions.  Tell her employer.  If she's that cavalier about patient information, she doesn't deserve to be working in health care.

She is violating patient privacy, which is both unethical and illegal.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »
Well, I guess that as Hanna said, there IS the possibility she was hacked or something. But...it sounds very unethical and apparently illegal, as well. Depending on how well you know her/like her [like: is it like her to do something like this?], you could warn her about it. Or just tell her employer. Either way, that picture needs to come down ASAP.
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Mopsy428

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 05:20:34 PM »
She wasn't identifying a patient, just saying, "This is a _______."

Her account may have been hacked, but the hacker would have to know her occupation. I like Larrabee's suggestion.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »
Are you sure she didn't get the picture from a medical Web site or her old patho textbook?

SiotehCat

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 05:34:32 PM »
Are you sure she didn't get the picture from a medical Web site or her old patho textbook?

This is what I was thinking.

Amava

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »

This is what I was thinking.
Ohhhh!!! That could be! Good thinking!