General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Sibling Rivalry

(1/5) > >>

momof2bratz:
I came across this story this morning, and thought it might make an interesting discussion point. The bares bones is that a former X-Factor contestant (Britains version of American Idol) missed his brothers wedding due to having a place in the semi-finals of the show.  I'm kind of torn on this, on the one hand I can understand how upsetting it must feel to have your twin brother not in attendance on your wedding day, and to not even acknowledge it in any way if the article is to be believed. However on the other hand, the original audition stages took place about 6 months before the wedding, and once they knew the brother had made it into the final stages, they had plenty of time to change the wedding date if it meant that much to have him there. Opinions???

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/916572/Olly-Murs-brother-says-hes-a-sell-out.html

PurpleFrog:
It sounds like a bit of sour grapes to me. While I can understand that he'd be disappointed about his brother not attending and not mentioning it, cutting off his family, even those who attended is extreme. The bits about family not hugging him cos they wished they were at X-factor instead almost sound like he feels his brother was on the show just to overshadow his wedding! And as for being unhappy that the family clapped louder at the show than at his wedding, purleese, if my family behaved like a live reality show audience at my wedding I'd bemortified! Different environments entirely.

I may be being a bit harsh, but I don't think he had the right to expect his brother to five up s life altering opportunity for his wedding. Never thought I'd be defending an X-factor contestant I hate the show. Lol.

shhh its me:
   To me personally it reads like the groom brother was really annoyed that his brother was going to miss the wedding and was pitching a fit." I made the semi-finals and will be preforming unfortunately it's the same day as the wedding" (something like what I assume the groom was told) is pretty clear, really you needed it spelled out? I get the impression that the groom keep trying to talk it out until the other brother couldn't stand talking to him anymore.

Inviting the wedding guest list  to the show was uncalled for and the brother should have taken the opportunity to congratulate the HC during the show and taken 5 minutes a some point during the day to call the groom (but if the groom was being hostile at the time I wouldn't call before I had to go on so he may get a pass there) A video gift to the HC would have also been an option.

The groom talking about how many people his brother slept with was below the belt and well it's also uncouth for the contestant brother to have brought it up in the first place.  Less wrong if he didn't mention any names as his brother did , Rebbecca didn't do anything to anyone and it was appalling to mention her if only by first name.

momof2bratz:
Yeah I kinda got the sour grapes vibe too. I figure, auditions take place early on in the year, he must have known his brother was into the final stages by late september, and so by then knew there was a chance the brother might not be able to attend the wedding. If it really meant that much to have the brother there, then he had 3 months in which to move the wedding by a couple of weeks, and so it is grossly unfair of him to heap all of the blame onto his brother for not attending.

Shortcake:

--- Quote from: momof2bratz on August 22, 2010, 12:39:46 PM ---Yeah I kinda got the sour grapes vibe too. I figure, auditions take place early on in the year, he must have known his brother was into the final stages by late september, and so by then knew there was a chance the brother might not be able to attend the wedding. If it really meant that much to have the brother there, then he had 3 months in which to move the wedding by a couple of weeks, and so it is grossly unfair of him to heap all of the blame onto his brother for not attending.

--- End quote ---

POD He sounds like he is jealous of the attention his brother is getting. It was really petty of him to compare the family's clapping and cheering at the show to the way they clapped at his wedding speech! He also assumed his family wasn't giving him hugs because they would have rather have been at the show. I don't know for a fact, but if he behaved the way his words came accross, then I imagine he was doing lots of pouting and complaining. Maybe his family was getting tired of his attitude (I may be making an interesting assumption here I admit  :) )
If he wanted  his brother to be at his wedding, it sounds like he had plenty of time to reschedule. After all, Olly really couldn't reschedule X Factor!
On the other hand, Olly should have called his brother on the wedding day, and said something during the show about wishing his brother and new SIL best wishes or something.
THe fact the brother is not speaking to the whole family  because of this situation, and that he is not speaking to his parents because Olly is living with them really shows how petty the brother is being.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version