Author Topic: When is too early to mow your lawn?  (Read 34943 times)

dragonflies

When is too early to mow your lawn?
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
There is a debate in our neighborhood (its under a HOA but there are no rules about this) on when is it too early to mow the lawn.  Several people say it rude to mow any time earlier than 9:00 a.m.  Some others think that is too late b/c we live in area that has heat advisories that go from 9:00 a.m until 7:00 p.m. or even as late as 9:00 p.m.

For example, today it will be around 108 degrees F in the shade with the heat index and might turn into one of the hottest Augusts we have had since 1875.

We have decent size lots and it takes about 2.5  hours to move and trim.  I have seen some people mow as early as 6:30 a.m. 

Are the early morning mowers rude?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: When is too early to mow your lawn?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
my guess would be that with heat advisories that high that it would be best to mow ae early as possible.  I would also guess that it is more likely that people are leaveing the AC on all night and that there is less of ann issue of hearing a lawn mower through an open window in the early morning.  I think special cricumstances make it OK to mow before 9 am, though normally that would be too early.

LibraryLady

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »
No, I don't think so.  These hot days trumps the early morning noise.  Are they mowing on Saturdays or Sundays?  Even if you waited until late afternoon when supposedly it is cooling down, it can stil be too hot.

Now I did get on to a neighbor who mowed at 7:30 on a SAturday morning and asked him to do his early mowing during the week.  However, he was a teacher and had the option of a weekday to mow.  I only had weekends in which I could sleep in.

JMHO

LL

edited to add:  Does the HOA want neat grass or heatstroked people  ???

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »
I think that's way too early.  I do believe that anything before 9 a.m. is too early on a weekend, and maybe 8 a.m. on a week day.  I'm sorry if it's hot outside.  I do understand wanting to mow when it's cooler.  Perhaps, in this climate, it is advisable to just let the lawn go brown (stop watering), thus enabling you to stop mowing. 

little bird

• we defy augury
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
I'm assuming we're talking about mowing on a weekend, yes?  Coming from a very hot climate, I would tend to say that it's ideal if you can wait until 9am but don't think it's rude until you start mowing before 7am.  If it takes 2.5 hours to mow your lot, I would have to advise splitting it into two days so starting at 6:30am isn't necessary.  So yes, I do suppose I think it's rude to mow your lawn at 6:30am.  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:26:24 PM by sparrow bones »
there's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow

I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

meliboea

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:41:20 PM »
There are few things that annoy me more than being woken up by a lawnmower early in the morning. Perhaps being woken up by whippersnippers, hedgetrimmers or mulchers. There are some days where I lie in bed and fantasise about dismembering inconsiderate neighbours who mow their lawns at the crack of dawn.

If it's too hot to mow the lawn at a reasonable hour, then people should just do it another day. Even if your HOA doesn't have rules about this, surely you have local by-laws regarding noise violations?

Thankfully our Summer water restrictions make this a non-issue. There are no lawns left  :P

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:44:31 PM »
In my town, you can't make that much noise outside before 7 am; 8 am on Sundays. Those seem like reasonable times.

I agree with sparrow bones that the mowing should be split up so that there is no need to start at 6:30.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:44:35 PM »
Under normal circumstances I think it would be rude to make any loud noises before 8am, but I do think allowances should be made for extreme weather conditions.  I know that during the summer, my husbands clients (roofing contractors) who work in Arizona and Nevada start work as soon as there is enough sunlight to see by.  That can be as early as 5:30 am.  
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

dragonflies

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »
More background:

Where we live - it doesn't cool down.  Its hotter at 5 pm (100 degrees) then at 8 am (80 degrees).    It has been days and days of this weather straight unless it rains. There is no break until maybe mid September.  We are in Texas.

Not watering the lawn isn't an option.  Per HOA rules, lawn must be watered (read green) or you get a fine.    There are no water restrictions.

Yes, a/c is ran here pretty much from April/May until Sept/Oct.  All houses in this area are new (oldest ones are 5 years old) and all of them have a/c.  All the grass is St. Augustine which grow like a weed during the summer months.  We have to mow once a week.

It is against the law here to turn off the power for non-payment during the summer months similar to the laws up north during the winter months (just to give you an idea).

Days of the week aren't specified.  

We live in a black hole.  Its in a city but not part of the city limits.  Our security is under contract and there aren't any noise limitations.  I doubt the police would come out for someone mowing their lawn.

Some people said they would rather be bothered with the noise rather than to have a neighbor not mow their yard.  

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
Under normal circumstances I think it would be rude to make any loud noises before 8am, but I do think allowances should be made for extreme weather conditions.  I know that during the summer, my husbands clients (roofing contractors) who work in Arizona and Nevada start work as soon as there is enough sunlight to see by.  That can be as early as 5:30 am.  

Assuming we're talking about a lawn mower that one walks behind or pushes, I'm with this.  Though my area typically has highs in the mid-90's for this time of year, lately they've been near the 100's, and today we're expected to go over that.  Our dewpoint has also been unually high, so sweating doesn't do an effective job of cooling the body (basically - it's too humid for seat to evaporate effectively).  While I think 5:30's too early, I don't think 7:00 is.  

Even late in the evening it can still be too hot to do yard work.  Plus, you're losing light, which I consider to be a safety issue.  If I waited until it was cool enough to work in the evening, it would be too dark to work safely.  

If we're talking about a riding mower, then I think it's wiser to wait a little - maybe 8am.

To me, this is a safety issue.  It simply isn't safe to wait until later in the morning to do heavy yard work.  Heat stroke is very serious.
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Dragonflymom

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I think after 7:00 would be ok on a weekday - the school buses and garbage trucks are already out that early anyways and most people are up by then getting ready for work.  Probably 8:00 or so on a weekend.
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

Donovan

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »
I live w/a landscaper.  The crew usually meets at 7:00, hook up, gather up, and are out by 7:30 on a weekday. 

If the route runs into the weekend (depending on weather conditions during the week) they usually meet at 8:00 and are out by 8:30.

Now sometimes during the week they cut my lawn before they leave for the day, so they may start as early as 7:00.  I have checked with my immediate neighbors (we all have 3 - 5 acre lots, so we aren't right on top of one another) and they've all told me they are up by 5:30/6:00 at the latest so it doesn't bother them at all. 

In fact one neighbor goes out about the same time and cuts his lawn.  Says when he hears the mowers going it reminds him to cut his own, and he'd rather get it done before it gets too hot.

R_Suerte

• The more we think we know about, greater the unknown.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »
When is too early to mow your lawn?

I don't think you can ever get a consensous on this issue.

Personally, I think, at this time of  year, starting at 7:00 am would be fine. (I don't start until 8 am but, my yard doesn't take as long as yours.)  Since you say there are no HOA rules and probably no law enforcement issue, this is truly an etiquette issue.  You might upset some late sleepers but, you have to get this done and you are not intentionally making unnecessary noise.  With lots that big, try starting away from other houses, maybe in the middle of the lot.  

wheeitsme

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »
Under normal circumstances I think it would be rude to make any loud noises before 8am, but I do think allowances should be made for extreme weather conditions.  
<snip>  

This. 

It sounds like it's not a situation of "I don't like working when it's hot"  and more of a situation of "Working in this weather will probably make you sick and has been known to result in death by heat stroke".

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »
Under this heat - before it hits 90 as long as the sun is up.

It is currently 94 here - the heat index is 103. I'm zapped from 20 minutes outside at recess. Because of the humidity it takes all night for it to cool down to mid 80's.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future