News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 04:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When is too early to mow your lawn?  (Read 103465 times)

Hmmmmm

Re: When is too early to mow your lawn?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 12:15:15 PM »
7:00am on weekdays, 8:00am on weekends, but would prefer 9am, and not after 9pm.  I do not think a pass should be given for hot weather unless it is unusually hot for your area, i.e. 5 or more degrees over the normal high for that time of year.

I live in the south in very hot, humid, never cools down in the evenings climate.  When we bought our house we took in the consideration of the size of the lawn, the HOA requirements to keep the lawn mowed and green, and the that heat index frequently hits between 100-110 degrees in the late summer.  Your neighbors had this knowledge when they chose to purchase and should have thought about lawn maitnenance in the heat and how they would accomplish that without disturbing others.  

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
7:00am on weekdays, 8:00am on weekends, but would prefer 9am, and not after 9pm.  I do not think a pass should be given for hot weather unless it is unusually hot for your area, i.e. 5 or more degrees over the normal high for that time of year.

I live in the south in very hot, humid, never cools down in the evenings climate.  When we bought our house we took in the consideration of the size of the lawn, the HOA requirements to keep the lawn mowed and green, and the that heat index frequently hits between 100-110 degrees in the late summer.  Your neighbors had this knowledge when they chose to purchase and should have thought about lawn maitnenance in the heat and how they would accomplish that without disturbing others.  

When we put an offer on our house, it was January.  When we actually bought the house, it was March.  Our yard was under a blanket of snow until April/May of that year.  We had no idea what sort of yard maintenance would be required until the snow melted and we saw what was underneath it.  I think it's unfair to assume that these neighbors knew what it would be like when they bought.  You can know that it tends to get hot in the summer (a few weeks ago our heat index was 104, so I'm familiar with the sort of heat being described here), and you can assume that some sort of yard maintenance would be required, but unless you're planting/landscaping your yard from scratch, you can't always know exactly what's required.

mich3554

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »
It seems to me that the HOA has really hamstrung you.  You MUST mow your lawns, you MUST keep them watered and you're risking heat stroke if you mow after 9 am.

That doesn't leave a lot of options, but if lots are big enough that it takes 2.5 hours to cut it, it would seem to me that your neighbor would not be mowing their grass right outside your bedroom window.

high dudgeon

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »
I don't think the heat matters. You're still going to be waking up your neighbors if you mow before 9am. Its not like people get up earlier, or workplace hours change because it's hot out. I think it's either time to get a push mower that's quiet, or mow in the evenings like around 8pm, or accept the HOA fines. Or accept that you're putting your own convenience over respect for your neighbors, and mow whenever you want to, even if it's rude to them.

I would very much rather a neighbor not mow their lawn and have to look at longer grass in their yard than have my entire household woken up so early on the weekend.

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 12:53:54 PM »
I suggest splitting up the mowing over several days.  That's what we do, for different reasons.

I do agree that the HOA has hamstrung you.  If you can afford it, I do suggest a riding lawnmower, but that won't make a whole lot of difference unless your lawn is well shaded.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

camlan

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »
There are electric mowers which make almost no noise at all. However, a single charge might not be enough to mow for 2.5 hours straight. But they are an option.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 12:59:34 PM »
I don't think the heat matters. You're still going to be waking up your neighbors if you mow before 9am. Its not like people get up earlier, or workplace hours change because it's hot out. I think it's either time to get a push mower that's quiet, or mow in the evenings like around 8pm, or accept the HOA fines. Or accept that you're putting your own convenience over respect for your neighbors, and mow whenever you want to, even if it's rude to them.

I would very much rather a neighbor not mow their lawn and have to look at longer grass in their yard than have my entire household woken up so early on the weekend.

Are you willing to pay for said neighbor's fines, as well?  

If possible, I say split up the mowing; I wouldn't want to mow for 2.5 hours on any day during the summer, not just the hottest days!  Otherwise, can you put forth a motion to change that particular law of your HOA, or add an amendment about mowing during the hottest days of summe?

dragonflies

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 01:06:25 PM »
OP here, DH mows our lawn starting around 7:00 a.m. during the week.  All of our immediate neighbors work.  The one neighbor that doesn't work has school age children and I see her taking them to school around 6:45.    Our neighbor directly behind us has her mother living there and she mows her lawn at night (with several spot lights).  We don't mind b/c we know its her and her disabled mom.  

The construction trucks are rolling through around 6:30 a.m. (even on weekends).  There is part of the subdivision that is under construction.  

Someone else (in a another section) complained.  We have a quiet push mower and sometimes I can't hear it when I'm inside.  We all have high efficiency windows.  Our houses were all built by the same builder and these windows are standard.  

Someone complained on our community site but all of the responses said its too hot to mow later and they would rather have their neighbor's yard mowed.  You can't let your grass grow to long b/c snakes are a concerned (we have diamondback rattlesnakes, copper heads and water moccosians - and then some other garden variety).  I posted here b/c this isn't a legal issue but purely an etiquette issue.  I wanted to get a feel on other people's responses.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
There is a debate in our neighborhood (its under a HOA but there are no rules about this) on when is it too early to mow the lawn.  Several people say it rude to mow any time earlier than 9:00 a.m.  Some others think that is too late b/c we live in area that has heat advisories that go from 9:00 a.m until 7:00 p.m. or even as late as 9:00 p.m.

For example, today it will be around 108 degrees F in the shade with the heat index and might turn into one of the hottest Augusts we have had since 1875.

We have decent size lots and it takes about 2.5  hours to move and trim.  I have seen some people mow as early as 6:30 a.m. 

Are the early morning mowers rude?

The "after 9am" contingent has to keep their lawns mowed, too--how and when do they do it? IMO, if they have found a way to mow without getting heatstroke or waking the neighbors then you should at least be considering whether you could do the same thing.

I agree with PPs that you could get away with mowing a bit earlier on weekdays, but I have a hard time considering your neighbors unreasonable for not wanting to be woken up by early-morning mowing every single weekend (you said the lawn needs mowing every week in this weather, so do your neighbors never get to sleep late?). And 6:30am is way too early. If your lawn requires 2.5 hours to mow and you won't mow after 9am, then it's time to start looking into other options--split the mowing into smaller increments, get a quiet mower, get faster mower (maybe a big riding mower would cut down on the time and the exertion?), landscape part of the yard in something that doesn't require mowing, hire a lawn-mowing service willing to mow later in the day, find ways to cool down/stay cooler when mowing (e.g. there's no rule you can't take cool-off breaks and soak yourself down with the hose), etc.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »

When we put an offer on our house, it was January.  When we actually bought the house, it was March.  Our yard was under a blanket of snow until April/May of that year.  We had no idea what sort of yard maintenance would be required until the snow melted and we saw what was underneath it.  I think it's unfair to assume that these neighbors knew what it would be like when they bought.  You can know that it tends to get hot in the summer (a few weeks ago our heat index was 104, so I'm familiar with the sort of heat being described here), and you can assume that some sort of yard maintenance would be required, but unless you're planting/landscaping your yard from scratch, you can't always know exactly what's required.

I'm having a hard time imagining an area where it snows so much in the winter that you can't tell where there are sidewalks, flower beds, and the size of a yard  and then in the summer routinely has temps hitting in the 3 digits and not cooling down at all in the evenings, but I guess they exist in some places.  But I'd believe those locations are in the minority.

high dudgeon

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »

Are you willing to pay for said neighbor's fines, as well?  

If possible, I say split up the mowing; I wouldn't want to mow for 2.5 hours on any day during the summer, not just the hottest days!  Otherwise, can you put forth a motion to change that particular law of your HOA, or add an amendment about mowing during the hottest days of summe?

Depends on how much I like them! But I don't think I have an etiquette obligation to do so. Sometimes you have to choose between doing the polite thing and doing what's cheapest and easiest for yourself, and this might be one of those situations. I think the HOA's rules need to be changed as soon as possible, and I would be completely willing to write letters to the HOA board and follow their procedures for rule changes and encourage other neighbors to support the rules change too. On the other hand, this sort of thing is why I'll never live anywhere with a HOA, so it wouldn't be a problem for me personally.

I know in my area, it's illegal to start before 8am, and it's also illegal for construction work to start before that time. If I'm woken up by landscapers or construction workers at 6:30am, I just call the police to file a noise complaint and let them work it out.

Deetee

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »
It really sounds like a no win situation.

I don't like to wake up to lawnmowers, but I would prefer to wake up to lawnmowers than have my neighbours (or myself) passing out from heatstroke. In such a situation 7 on a weekday sounds like the best option.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »

I'm having a hard time imagining an area where it snows so much in the winter that you can't tell where there are sidewalks, flower beds, and the size of a yard  and then in the summer routinely has temps hitting in the 3 digits and not cooling down at all in the evenings, but I guess they exist in some places.  But I'd believe those locations are in the minority.

This year, that's most of the Mid-Atlantic.  My area we had 52 inches of snow in February, then the hottest summer since 1980.  My lawn mowing has been sporadic at best.  Luckily my HOA is flexible on what's "too high."  I have a small enough lawn to just use a trimmer for the whole thing, so I tend to go out around 8pm on Saturday.
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

noexitwounds

• She of the Radically Different Perspective
  • I have a plan. I just haven't thought of it yet.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »
If it's too hot to mow the lawn at a reasonable hour, then people should just do it another day.

It's kinda hard to do it another day when the entire month of August is like that (and in some areas of the southwest U.S. the month of July and half into September too).
Did you know that cats can make one thousand different sounds and dogs can only make ten? Cats, man. Not to be trusted. -- Jake Jensen, The Losers

JaneJensen

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »
We're as hot as Texas, maybe hotter. Going to be 118 today.- not an uncommon occurrence around here.
  I don't have grass at all, only desert landscaping, but my neighbors on each side have grass. If they want to mow at 3 am or 11 pm I don't care. It's hot, and the heat can, and will kill you here. It's not like they can just wait a week for it to cool off. 110+ is how it is. for months.

My answer is: if it's that hot, consistently, day after day, then you can be reasonably sure that people have their houses closed up and windows closed and are running the A/C. So any time - even sunrise would be fine with me.

Now if you live in, say, Seattle, and you are having a temporary string of hot days and people there don't usually run a/c in their house, and open windows to cool, then it would be rude to mow really early.

I guess you just have to know your community and the normal weather. To me, Texas means the a/c is on, the houses are closed up- permanently until at least October. So mow away any time.