News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 08:30:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When is too early to mow your lawn?  (Read 103471 times)

fffirefly

Re: When is too early to mow your lawn?
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2010, 08:53:45 AM »
I live in AZ and at least in my area many people start mowing as early as 6AM. I've only noticed if I happened to be outside at that time though. A lot of people use electric mowers so I can't hear them unless I'm outside and it's one of my direct neighbors. It's 645 right now and already over 90. It will be about 110 in a couple of hours so waiting much longer starts to get dangerous. Waiting for another day isn't really an option - on average there are over 100 days of over 100 degrees in AZ.

Personally, I use an electric mower with an extension cord. It's very quiet.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2010, 09:35:52 AM »
7:00am on weekdays, 8:00am on weekends, but would prefer 9am, and not after 9pm.  I do not think a pass should be given for hot weather unless it is unusually hot for your area, i.e. 5 or more degrees over the normal high for that time of year.

I live in the south in very hot, humid, never cools down in the evenings climate.  When we bought our house we took in the consideration of the size of the lawn, the HOA requirements to keep the lawn mowed and green, and the that heat index frequently hits between 100-110 degrees in the late summer.  Your neighbors had this knowledge when they chose to purchase and should have thought about lawn maitnenance in the heat and how they would accomplish that without disturbing others.  

When we put an offer on our house, it was January.  When we actually bought the house, it was March.  Our yard was under a blanket of snow until April/May of that year.  We had no idea what sort of yard maintenance would be required until the snow melted and we saw what was underneath it.  I think it's unfair to assume that these neighbors knew what it would be like when they bought.  You can know that it tends to get hot in the summer (a few weeks ago our heat index was 104, so I'm familiar with the sort of heat being described here), and you can assume that some sort of yard maintenance would be required, but unless you're planting/landscaping your yard from scratch, you can't always know exactly what's required.

Knowing where you live, I think that's a cop out.  You know that in Minnesota it gets hot in the summer and that lawns need to be mowed.  I think it is SS to expect a pass because you didn't know what you bought.  99% of the homes where we are have grass that needs to be mowed weekly.  The heat index you describe is not average for the area, it has been unusually hot. 

I'm with the person that says the responsibility still exists.  If one lives in a hot climate and has grass, mowing is one of the drawbacks.  But they also need to take care not to bother neighbours.  For me, 6:30 mowing would be extremely annoying. 

If it bothers some of the neighours from the OP, then I think the OP has an obligation to break up the mowing duties so that neighbours are not inconvenienced. 

My point is that I didn't know what kind of landscape maintenance would be required when we bought our house and what precisely that maintenance would require (mowing once a week?  Crazy!  Growing up, my dad maybe mowed every other week...sometimes not even that!).  I can see other people not knowing either, especially if you've lived in apartments where you don't have to worry about mowing/trimming/snow removal/etc.   

Also, in my neighborhood, 6:30 am mowing wouldn't be surprising, and I might not even notice it.  We're in the flight path for MSP, so there's always lots of ambient noise about.

high dudgeon

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »
Maybe having a huge lawn with the weather restrictions and the HOA restrictions and living within earshot of the neighbors just isn't feasible without being rude? Maybe a different form of landscaping (xeriscaping, a non-grass ground covering that does not require frequent mowing, woodland or prairie areas, a large patio area) might suit your lifestyle better? Or maybe hiring someone who can mow during the day on a riding mower might also be an option?

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
DH and I just got a cordless electric mower. Our state had a trade in, bring in the gas mower and get a massive discount on an electric. It is VERY quiet. I was unnerved at how quiet it is... And no extension cord!

alegria

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »
Sometimes living around other people requires understanding and patience.  If someone is insistent that they have perfect peace and quiet at all times, no matter what else is going on in the world, then they need to buy 50 acres out in the middle of nowhere and put their house exactly in the middle.

If you live in typical USA suburbia, you have neighbor houses that are anywhere from 10 - 500 feet away from you.  Babies cry, dogs bark, lawnmowers run, diesel trucks start up, and motorcycles drive by.  That's all part of living, and it's what you need to deal with if you are living in that situation.  If you can't muster up empathy or understanding for people who need to mow their lawn at 7am in order to (a) comply with HOA guidelines and (b) not get sick from the heat, then you need to (a) move (b) pay their HOA fines or (c) mow their lawn for them at a time convenient to you.

No, it's not an ideal situation to have to mow your yard at 7am on a Saturday morning.  Personal safety trumps etiquette every time, however, and I think this situation is firmly in the camp of personal safety at this time.

kingsrings

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »
ITA w/Alegria.

noexitwounds

• She of the Radically Different Perspective
  • I have a plan. I just haven't thought of it yet.
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
No, it's not an ideal situation to have to mow your yard at 7am on a Saturday morning.  Personal safety trumps etiquette every time, however, and I think this situation is firmly in the camp of personal safety at this time.

POD. And anyone who suggests otherwise is being completely unreasonable.

ETA: And I say this as someone who wears earplugs 24/7 and often has to use earmuff noise dampeners (like those used in construction) to deal with ambient noise because of a hearing condition I suffer. Lawn mowers are like nails on a chalkboard to me, physically PAINFUL, and I still understand that early morning mowing is just a necessity for health reasons in some locations, including the area I grew up (Southern California).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 11:35:31 AM by noexitwounds »
Did you know that cats can make one thousand different sounds and dogs can only make ten? Cats, man. Not to be trusted. -- Jake Jensen, The Losers

high dudgeon

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
Please cite the specific post where anyone asked for absolute perfect peace and quiet. We're not talking about that at all. We're talking about a very loud, continuous, jarring mechanical noise that's going to effect everyone within earshot, even if they are inside their homes with all the windows shut and the AC on. It's going to wake up anyone but the deepest sleepers several hours earlier than they may be expecting and that's a lot to ask of your neighbors. Their jobs don't start later because it's hot. They can't necessarily go to bed earlier because it's hot. I just don't see how the heat changes the rules of etiquette.

Of course we need to be patient and understanding toward our neighbors. Part of that is being patient and understanding enough to wait until a reasonable hour to make such a loud and disturbing noise so that it is not during traditional sleeping hours.

The real problem is the HOA and their ridiculous insistence on perfect lawns during the summers. On the other than, the residents agreed to the terms of the HOA when they bought, and they presumably knew what the summer weather was like, so I think it's up to residents of the HOA to either have a plan to deal with the situation, or to change the HOA. Or accept the fines. Or change the yard so that it doesn't require mowing. Or hire a service to mow at a reasonable hour. There are plenty of options that aren't rude, even if they aren't as easy or convenient as doing whatever you want, whenever you want. Or accept that you are being rude to your neighbors and politeness is less important to you than finding another option.

O'Dell

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »
Sometimes living around other people requires understanding and patience.  If someone is insistent that they have perfect peace and quiet at all times, no matter what else is going on in the world, then they need to buy 50 acres out in the middle of nowhere and put their house exactly in the middle.

If you live in typical USA suburbia, you have neighbor houses that are anywhere from 10 - 500 feet away from you.  Babies cry, dogs bark, lawnmowers run, diesel trucks start up, and motorcycles drive by.  That's all part of living, and it's what you need to deal with if you are living in that situation.  If you can't muster up empathy or understanding for people who need to mow their lawn at 7am in order to (a) comply with HOA guidelines and (b) not get sick from the heat, then you need to (a) move (b) pay their HOA fines or (c) mow their lawn for them at a time convenient to you.

No, it's not an ideal situation to have to mow your yard at 7am on a Saturday morning.  Personal safety trumps etiquette every time, however, and I think this situation is firmly in the camp of personal safety at this time.

Well said!

With all the talk of snow, this thread is making me think of the etiquette of snow removal. It's not uncommon where I live for people to be out with snow blowers and/or plows very early in the morning 6-7am and late at night 10pm or even after 11pm. Driveways and sidewalks have to be cleared and weather doesn't obey the clock. Sometimes a person absolutely needs to get their driveway clear before they can get out of their driveway to go to work. In an area with a lot of manufacturing and 24/7 shifts, that can be at any time. And of course the city snow plows and salt trucks can be out at any time and they can be quite loud.

Granted snow tends to dampen the sound somewhat, but closed windows and air conditioners running do the same in the summer. Anytime between 7am and 11pm seems reasonable to me as long as the heat advisories are in effect daily.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

kingsrings

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
Please cite the specific post where anyone asked for absolute perfect peace and quiet. We're not talking about that at all. We're talking about a very loud, continuous, jarring mechanical noise that's going to effect everyone within earshot, even if they are inside their homes with all the windows shut and the AC on. It's going to wake up anyone but the deepest sleepers several hours earlier than they may be expecting and that's a lot to ask of your neighbors. Their jobs don't start later because it's hot. They can't necessarily go to bed earlier because it's hot. I just don't see how the heat changes the rules of etiquette.

Of course we need to be patient and understanding toward our neighbors. Part of that is being patient and understanding enough to wait until a reasonable hour to make such a loud and disturbing noise so that it is not during traditional sleeping hours.

The real problem is the HOA and their ridiculous insistence on perfect lawns during the summers. On the other than, the residents agreed to the terms of the HOA when they bought, and they presumably knew what the summer weather was like, so I think it's up to residents of the HOA to either have a plan to deal with the situation, or to change the HOA. Or accept the fines. Or change the yard so that it doesn't require mowing. Or hire a service to mow at a reasonable hour. There are plenty of options that aren't rude, even if they aren't as easy or convenient as doing whatever you want, whenever you want. Or accept that you are being rude to your neighbors and politeness is less important to you than finding another option.

But this is a safety concern. A "reasonable hour" might be dangerous because of the heat that has set in at that time.

noexitwounds

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2010, 12:44:11 PM »
Please cite the specific post where anyone asked for absolute perfect peace and quiet. We're not talking about that at all. We're talking about a very loud, continuous, jarring mechanical noise that's going to effect everyone within earshot, even if they are inside their homes with all the windows shut and the AC on. It's going to wake up anyone but the deepest sleepers several hours earlier than they may be expecting and that's a lot to ask of your neighbors. [...] so I think it's up to residents of the HOA to either have a plan to deal with the situation, or to change the HOA. Or accept the fines. Or change the yard so that it doesn't require mowing. Or hire a service to mow at a reasonable hour. There are plenty of options that aren't rude, even if they aren't as easy or convenient as doing whatever you want, whenever you want. Or accept that you are being rude to your neighbors and politeness is less important to you than finding another option.

But this is a safety concern. A "reasonable hour" might be dangerous because of the heat that has set in at that time.

POD. I mean, I contest that lawn mowers wake up "anyone but the deepest sleepers" to begin with. But even if that's true the options offered by highdungeon aren't realistic in a lot of cases.

- Change the HOA: Impossible for a single person to do this.
- Accept the fines: And what if they can't afford the fines?
- Change the yard: (1) The HOA may require grass. (2) Changing the yard costs MONEY -- what if they can't afford to re-landscape?
- Hire a service: And what if they can't afford to hire someone?

Safety trumps etiquette. This is true whether we're talking about the safety of mowing in 100 degree weather at 10AM, or about having the money to EITHER buy groceries OR pay for a service to mow the lawn/pay the fines/change the yard but not both.

As for the "you knew what the lawn/weather would be like when you moved in" argument I could just as easily say that people who moved into that neighborhood did so knowing the only really safe time to mow the lawn would be just after dawn so in moving in they accepted that lawn mowers will be run at 6:30 in the morning. "You knew the score" isn't really a good argument for either side.
Did you know that cats can make one thousand different sounds and dogs can only make ten? Cats, man. Not to be trusted. -- Jake Jensen, The Losers

high dudgeon

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2010, 01:07:27 PM »
Sorry, I just can't agree that etiquette only applies when it's cheap and convenient. It's not a safety concern, because there are other options to deal with the situation, other than mowing early when the neighbors are likely to be sleeping.

noexitwounds

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »
Sorry, I just can't agree that etiquette only applies when it's cheap and convenient. It's not a safety concern, because there are other options to deal with the situation, other than mowing early when the neighbors are likely to be sleeping.

And if those options all mean that the person involved doesn't have money for groceries at the end of the month?

high dudgeon

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
Then they do what they have to, and recognize that they are being rude.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2010, 01:40:39 PM »

And if those options all mean that the person involved doesn't have money for groceries at the end of the month?

Ok, I'll admit right off that this is an "interesting assumption" and maybe it's different where you or the OP lives, but the neighborhood in question has a both an HOA and yards that take 2.5 hours to mow (I'm assuming this is by someone mowing at a normal pace, in which case this sounds like an enormous yard). Neither of those factors sounds like a low-income neighborhood to me; in fact, they both suggest well-off to wealthy neighborhoods. It's always possible that one or more of the residents is on the brink of starvation, but is it likely? General etiquette is based on the norms, not the rare exceptions.

Also, one suggestion that has been repeated several times is absolutely free of cost--split up the mowing into shorter segments. The mowing could be split up over two or more days so it can be started later, or it could be done during a hotter part of the day with frequent breaks to cool off. If there are multiple people in the household who can run the mower, then it could even be traded off--person A mows for 30 minutes, then person B mows while person A cools off, then A takes over while B cools off; repeat until done. And before anyone suggests I don't understand the heat issues, I've lived my whole life in an area with very hot and humid summers. There are still ways to get things done during the heat that don't involve waking the neighbors.