Author Topic: Celebration of life what is the dress code?  (Read 15483 times)

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
Celebration of life what is the dress code?
« on: August 27, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »
Im going to a celebration of life service for my favorite grade school teacher who passed away recently. It is being held at my grade school, I dont know if its indoor or outdoor on the field because it didnt specify. I have a feeling it would have to be outside on the field as the multi-purpose room is being used for a salad/dessert reception afterwards, and it wouldnt be big enough to accommodate the large crowd expected, anyway.

What is the dress code for such an event? Ive never been to this kind of service, Ive only ever been to funerals at churches. Im really hoping its not a dress-up occasion, since I have very limited dress wear (even limited dressy-casual), its outdoors in the heat, and plus we all have to walk a distance to get to the school since parking is awful in that area. My teacher was definitely a casual guy too, if that makes a difference.

Im thinking about wearing a blouse, jeans, and non-sneakers. Is this appropriate for this kind of event?

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
Re: Celebration of life what is the dress code?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:01:47 PM »
Do you have slacks?  Jeans may be just a bit to casual, but a blouse and slacks would be fine.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
I'm sorry for the loss of your wonderful teacher.

Your outfit does sound very appropriate. I went to a celebration of life recently (for my beloved piano teacher) and a number of people were wearing exactly that sort of outfit. I went with light tan dress pants and a green dress shirt with cuff links and while I wasn't overdressed, it turned out that I didn't need to dress up as much as I did.

(Then when I arrived home I realized that there was a small hole in the pants below the fly. I don't think it was noticable though. But anyway.)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
I would try not to wear jeans. I feel that, if you end up being underdressed, jeans really accentuates it. I would rather be underdressed in a pair of khakis than jeans, for example. Other than that, I would wear just what you are describing.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »
Your outfit sounds perfect.  The point of life celebrations are to be inclusive and informal, generally, so I wouldn't dress up too much.  Dress for your comfort, and respectfully, and you're fine.  I hope the event goes well!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »
Like others I would try to stay away from jeans if possible.

If you truly must wear jeans, iron them.  It sounds a bit silly, but honestly ironed jeans just look crisper and better then un-ironed jeans, even if they are not particularly wrinkled.

Remember, its always better to be over dressed, then under dressed.

Also, well groomed hair, skin & nails, modest but attractive jewelry and good accessories can really dress up a casual outfit (and can be removed if you realize you are over dressed.)

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
I don't think any of my pants fit me, as I've recently gained weight. Jeans are about all I have, maybe I can find a skirt or dress to wear, but jeans would be the most comfortable.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Well, I'd avoid jeans, shorts, flip-flops, Crocs, and sneakers/gym/shoes.

If jeans are your only pants and you choose to wear them, wear a nice button-down blouse or good shirt with them.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
I don't think any of my pants fit me, as I've recently gained weight. Jeans are about all I have, maybe I can find a skirt or dress to wear, but jeans would be the most comfortable.

I think you're totally fine in jeans.  If you're neat and tidy, no one's going to judge you anyway -- better to have more people there who cared about your teacher than some staying home because they're worried about being underdressed. 

In a school there's probably not anywhere formal to hold the gathering anyway -- it'll be the gym, cafeteria, or outside.  I also think that if they wanted a dressy occasion, they'd have specified it in the announcement/invitation.  But I'm sure that if it's a life celebration, the goal is to be inclusive, not to look down on anyone for not guessing what the right clothes may be  :)

Hexie

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 03:01:54 PM »
First, I'm so sorry for the loss of your teacher.

I think jeans in a nice dark wash would be fine, a nice shirt and non tennis shoes.   

I would stay away from jeans light in color as those are generally much more casual looking.

USC_Gamecock

• Is this thing on?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 04:23:09 PM »
I think jeans are a little too casual, but I think you'll see plenty of people wearing them if the service is held outdoors.  Still, I'd purchase some inexpensive navy or black slacks to wear.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »
I went in jeans, blouse, jewerly, and non-sneakers. There was a variety of dress. The people who spoke and performed of course were dressed more formal. I saw everything from semi-dressy to downright casual. Everything seemed to fit the mood of the event, though.