Author Topic: Using caps  (Read 5104 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: Using caps
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
I usually type out my post and then go back to do the bold, italic, etc. since I have to use the mouse to click the spell check and post buttons anyway.

I have been guilty of using all caps for one or two words (very rarely and never an entire sentence) when I feel even "bold" is not strong enough :-\ :P.

If even bold italics or underlined italics don't feel strong enough, I figure it's time to stop and take a deep breath, and if I still feel that way, rewrite the sentence to find more emphatic words.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
I do find that thinking about this technical aspect, helps me to think about the content of my post as well, and whether I really need to post that sentiment (in a good way, I mean). I'm kind of glad there's no forum function for a collection of 'draft' posts, because I think mine would be full of rejected thoughts.  :P
~Lynn2000

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
I usually type out my post and then go back to do the bold, italic, etc. since I have to use the mouse to click the spell check and post buttons anyway.

I have been guilty of using all caps for one or two words (very rarely and never an entire sentence) when I feel even "bold" is not strong enough :-\ :P.

If even bold italics or underlined italics don't feel strong enough, I figure it's time to stop and take a deep breath, and if I still feel that way, rewrite the sentence to find more emphatic words.

Like I said, it's rare I do this and never a full sentence. Just a few times in all the years I've been here and it's usually using all caps for words like "no" or "yes"

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
I don't believe that anything should be in caps, even lol, etc. unless you are angry and want to show it. And yes, I read the etc in the earlier post as etcetera, not internet slang etc without the caps lock. I personally hate when people use caps as it does make me feel as if I'm being shouted at.

Acronyms should be in caps if they are for several words that are in caps. For instance, "FBI" is for "Federal Bureau of Investigation", whereas "lol" is for "laugh out loud".

I use the buttons after I write a post as a way to force myself to proofread. Still, things get by me. Sigh.

static

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
Forgive me if the following is a tad incoherent; I have fairly strong feelings about this issue, and my mind's been a bit all over the place as I try to get what I really want to say down with the bare minimum of flippancy and sarcasm.

It has long been netiquette that the use of caps is YELLING. The only exception, as far as I know, is when someone uses internet slang such as LOL, AFAIK, etc.

The use of caps=yelling is not new so for the life of me I don't understand why people persist.

What is common knowledge for one, or even for many, is not necessarily common knowledge for all; different internet communities will have differing standards and expectations*, depending on numerous factors ranging from the average age of their membership, to real-life cultural background.

I can understand that people may not like it (I personally find it to be unsightly and distracting), especially given the range of other options available, but this feels a little like people are making a mountain our of a molehill to me.

Speaking personally, I feel that conext matters in situations like these - sometimes, it may be ambiguous as to whether a poster was intending to yell - in others, the context can make it fairly clear that they were being emphatic. Naturally, though, people have gut reactions to these things, and can't help feeling the way they feel.

On that note, my feeling is that that this
no caps unless you want to be gagged.
is a somewhat extreme response to the issue at hand.

*As the other replies in this thread have shown, the feeling from E-Hell is that they would rather not be "yelled" at, and posters joining the forum should be made aware of this fact if they want to integrate smoothly into the community.

Personally, however, I feel that presenting it as an essentially bannable offence is taking things a little too far. Would a polite, yet high-profile request to avoid it not be more reasonable?

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »
First of all, nobody is automatically gagged for using caps but there are enough repeated offenders that, despite all requests not to, persist. Why I don't know other than perhaps they believe the standard doesn't apply to them or they don't care. I do not like gagging/banning posters but enough is enough.

As for your claim that a lot of people are unaware that using all caps indicates yelling, then those people aren't interested in netiquette and it's up to them to learn. However you are correct that each forum has different standards and the standard here is not to use caps unless they want to convey they are really yelling.

There are other options. Italics and/or bold for emphasis. As for ambiguity, it's rare and the posters who respect the cap rule will clarify that they are yelling and that's fine. Other times it's quite obvious, as in "GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME YOU CREEP!" or something similar. However, it's usually along the lines of "He was SUCH a jerk. Since when is MY time LESS important than HIS?" and on and on.

As for a high profile request, this is a sticky thread in the forum announcements folder.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

poundcake

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
I have to watch myself with this. It's an automatic reaction to hit that caps key when I'm writing about something and I'm all worked up, and it's just a stylistic thing several friends and I do as a joke. Like, "CRUD MONKEYS! THIS IS A TYPING IN ALL CAPS SITUATION." Like when you're live-blogging political debates. Or just saw the insane se.xism of the 50 Shades of Grey trailer. It's gotten so we even do it by hand in birthday cards to each other.  :D