Author Topic: Always a step behind, so it seems. (long)  (Read 22963 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Always a step behind, so it seems. (long)
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 11:00:59 PM »
So tomorrow he'll get given to the end of November.

NO!

"No, I will give you five days to get your stuff out.  If it isn't out by then, I'll dispose of it myself."

Then in five days exactly, get those locks changed!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 07:45:03 AM »
Onlyme,
I think giving him another month only enforces his stance that these dates are guidelines.  It is fine to say it only once, but you need be more definitive then "I'll give you some more time."

If you've already told him that he has till end of November, then I think you are stuck with that timeline.  If you haven't, then I think you need to give him a specific date he needs to be out.  And honestly, I think another month is too long, especially since he has mentioned a December vacation.  I can easily see end of November coming and him saying "well, I won't be here in December so can I just leave my stuff here until I get back." type scenarion. 

Kaymyth

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
Onlyme,
I think giving him another month only enforces his stance that these dates are guidelines.  It is fine to say it only once, but you need be more definitive then "I'll give you some more time."

If you've already told him that he has till end of November, then I think you are stuck with that timeline.  If you haven't, then I think you need to give him a specific date he needs to be out.  And honestly, I think another month is too long, especially since he has mentioned a December vacation.  I can easily see end of November coming and him saying "well, I won't be here in December so can I just leave my stuff here until I get back." type scenarion. 

Poddy McPodderson from the land of Podonia!

Tell him, "You have until Friday; that is your extra time.  On Saturday morning I have an appointment to get the locks changed."  End of conversation.  And then tomorrow, call the locksmith and make the appointment.  Preferably with Unwanted Roommate in listening distance.

*Evil!myth quietly sings the Twisted Christmas carol, "We Wish You Weren't Living With Us"*

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »
LOL!

We wish you a scary Halloween,
We wish you a good Thanksgiving,
We wish you a Merry Christmas,
But just not with us!!

Good boxes we bring,
For packing your things,
But just not with us!!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »
why would you give him until the end of november? Then you've only proven him right that end of Oct was "only a guideline."

It doesnt make any sense to me - can you clarify?

I agree.  Set a deadline and stick with it.  Because come November 30, he'll be saying "but it was just a guideline."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Kaymyth

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »
LOL!

We wish you a scary Halloween,
We wish you a good Thanksgiving,
But just not with us!!

Good boxes we bring,
For packing your things,
But just not with us!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhm0zRykHCY

;D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

boxy

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »
It might be in the best interest of everyone involved to give him notice in writing, i.e., this is official notice that you must vacate in the next 30 days on such-and-such a date. 

Should this end up in court you will have the paper trail documenting that you followed the law.  You cannot simply lock him out - especially since you had such a vague and inconsistent verbal notice.  Typically judges favor tenants and that's a costly road if this guy has any material possessions of value.  It might be to your advantage to check with a lawyer on the best way to cover yourself from future litigation.

Do the right thing, use your brain and think logically. 

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 07:29:46 AM »
It might be in the best interest of everyone involved to give him notice in writing, i.e., this is official notice that you must vacate in the next 30 days on such-and-such a date. 

Should this end up in court you will have the paper trail documenting that you followed the law.  You cannot simply lock him out - especially since you had such a vague and inconsistent verbal notice.  Typically judges favor tenants and that's a costly road if this guy has any material possessions of value.  It might be to your advantage to check with a lawyer on the best way to cover yourself from future litigation.

Do the right thing, use your brain and think logically. 

I totally agree with putting it in writing & staying firm (thats the critical bit)

Boxy - I don't know if you meant that or not, but that last line comes across as a bit rude & condescending.

Only me

Re: Always a step behind, so it seems. (long)*UPdate #24
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »
Hi

So I finally put something in writing once he refused to move out, because he hasn't been given enough time. I have found out some legal stuff (I'll post after this is over), but basically he's screwed and doesn't realize it.

Now all I have to do is make up my mind if he's out this weekend or at the end of November. But thanks to all who have written so far, cause I usually get good advice from this board. My friend wonder why I am so calm and good about being polite, and well its the good adviced i read here.

Thanks again, and I'll see about posting when this is over.
Onlyme.

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
I would give him till the end of Nov. Even though he is a pain to be around. This way you have given him ample notice and if he can get out then its his problem.

boxy

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »
Boxy - I don't know if you meant that or not, but that last line comes across as a bit rude & condescending.
Ack, that's the problem with posts, there's no vocal inflection and, as in this case, what I meant in my head didn't come across very well on screen.  The words "do the right thing, use your brain and think logically" should be read in tone of helpfulness.  Kind of like wait, stop for a sec and gather your thoughts, you can do this, it's going to be okay, just don't rush in too soon.

My sincere apology for it coming across wrong. 

Nellop

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »
I'm just bumping this because it's nearly the end of the month and I am very keen to hear what's happened!

I'm hoping that in a few days the housemate from hell is gone!
I tell funny stories and draw terrible drawings:

http://exacerbationofthesituation.blogspot.com

Only me

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
Hi Nellop (and all),

He's out in 4 days and has signed a form stating that.

A couple of weeks ago he was preening about how he could just move out when he decided, even though he had given notice. I got him to agree to Dec 1 to move out and then pointed out where he has no protection under Landlord /Tenant agreement. He was still trying to be smug until I pointed out that he wasn't cover, that I had the exceptions in our area to the Landlord tenant acts and that I didn't have to bring it up on the internet for him to see. I handed him the printed legislation with the exceptions to the act highlighted. His face kind of feel and he's been trying to be nice now.

He was trying to agrue with the legislation and how it applied and I pointed out that 1) I knew about the law because of personal circumstances, not because I deal with lawyers all day at work (they are my clients) 2) just to make sure I was understanding what the legislation was I talked to a lawyer, I talked to the Landlord/Tenant board and I called the local police and all verified my understanding.

I am personally still pissed that I have to go thru this and struggling at time to let it go. I am getting better, but I know that come Wednesday I will be much better.

thanks for asking, Onlyme

Nellop

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 12:54:27 PM »
Yay!

Sounds like he's finally realised that he can't do whatever he wants :D

Great news Onlyme! Really chuffed that it's all worked out for you.
I tell funny stories and draw terrible drawings:

http://exacerbationofthesituation.blogspot.com