Author Topic: Hilarious, but also very sweet  (Read 1212 times)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Hilarious, but also very sweet
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
So, while feeling down recently, I began reading two sites that a dear friend linked me to. If you're a fan of Engrish.com, you may enjoy them as well. They're a collection of humourous and often tear-inducingly sweet communiques with Asian-American parents. I stayed up many hours past bedtime reading all of both.

http://www.mymomisafob.com

http://www.mydadisafob.com

FOB, for those of you not familiar with the terminology, means "fresh off the boat" - it refers to an emigrant, usually from Asia, who hasn't integrated into the local culture very much. Most of the humour factor is from the broken English/lost in translation factor, although some of it is culture clash, generation gap, and overall ludicrous situations. It's also an absolute museum of guilt and PA at times.

I hope that this isn't considered racist in the purview of this forum, and I know I'm taking my chances there, but I wanted to share something that cheered me up immeasurably.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: Hilarious, but also very sweet
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »
haha, I like this one:

My mom emailed me after we had a huge fight:

“Ok, you will be fine for everthing. Actually you are excellent so far. I will support you for all. you are my only child. it is not the big deal. I will help you. We need the drama in life. Otherwise the lift will only like the water. We need the different drink. ok? take care. go to sleep.”

Cute!

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »
I'm slain by all the "mommy" and "daddy." My father wanted me to start calling him by his first name when I was 16 - we compromised, and I call him Dad. :-\

Julep

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
Oh, come on. I didn't need another hilarious blog to distract me from my work! LOL, this is priceless. Here's my favorite so far.
http://mydadisafob.com/2010/03/05/lost-in-meaty-translation/

lilihob

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »
I'm British, born here, but my mum's English was learnt along side me, the steak story breaks my heart, I always translate when necessary, how could they not help out their parent." Hung his head in shame" :'(. Bah to that poor man's nasty child >:(.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:49:34 AM »
I'm British, born here, but my mum's English was learnt along side me, the steak story breaks my heart, I always translate when necessary, how could they not help out their parent." Hung his head in shame" :'(. Bah to that poor man's nasty child >:(.

If it makes you feel any better, people in the comments think it's an urban legend!

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:05:25 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, people in the comments think it's an urban legend!

and the OP of the steak story said that it happened to his friend's dad... and that the friend didn't speak English either.
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Nora

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »
Thank you for that! I'm laughing and aaaaaawing all over myself.  ;D

It reminds me when mom and I had just moved to Norway, and she wanted to buy a new hairbrush (børste), but instead managed to ask the very very snobby shop assistant if she could buy her boob (bryst).

Let me tell you, the 9 year old me practically ran out of that store!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

CG

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
Thank you for that! I'm laughing and aaaaaawing all over myself.  ;D

It reminds me when mom and I had just moved to Norway, and she wanted to buy a new hairbrush (børste), but instead managed to ask the very very snobby shop assistant if she could buy her boob (bryst).

Let me tell you, the 9 year old me practically ran out of that store!

A friend of mine accidentally asked his host mother (in Norway) if the hair was standing up on the back of his butt instead of on the back of his head.  ;D

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »
My friend's dad once gave her a birthday card telling her she's a very good tater (he meant daughter).  Ten years later, I still laugh when I think about it.