News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 06:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do You Live Alone? Seeking Advice from the Voice of Experience  (Read 6027 times)

Malaika

Re: Do You Live Alone? Seeking Advice from the Voice of Experience
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
I've learned that you can suck bugs up with the vacuum cleaner if you don't want to or can't smash them (but I still miss my bug-killer roommate). 

I also used to check behind my shower curtain but then I learned it was just easier to keep it open.  :)

Animala

• Rowr!
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
I looooved living alone, although part of the time was with the kid.  I liked cooking or not cooking whatever I wanted. I really just love the space and being alone.  I'm really a bit of a hermit.  The down side for me were two things.  First I am a horrible housekeeper so next time i will probably hire someone to come in every so often.  Secondly, and this actually became a big problem, there wasn't anyone to help me when I got sick.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
Secondly, and this actually became a big problem, there wasn't anyone to help me when I got sick.

This is very true, Animala, and my experience as well. On the one hand I'm glad I'm not getting anyone else sick; on the other hand if I need something I have to find someone to get it for me. I don't like imposing on people so I feel bad asking. And the one time I thought I better go to the hospital I ended up calling an ambulance.  Thank heavens for health insurance and really nice paramedics which made the whole process a lot less scary - and (with the insurance) less expensive than I was afraid of. But still, it would have been nicer had there been someone here to help.

So there are pluses and minuses.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »
Secondly, and this actually became a big problem, there wasn't anyone to help me when I got sick.

This is very true, Animala, and my experience as well. On the one hand I'm glad I'm not getting anyone else sick; on the other hand if I need something I have to find someone to get it for me. I don't like imposing on people so I feel bad asking. And the one time I thought I better go to the hospital I ended up calling an ambulance.  Thank heavens for health insurance and really nice paramedics which made the whole process a lot less scary - and (with the insurance) less expensive than I was afraid of. But still, it would have been nicer had there been someone here to help.

So there are pluses and minuses.

I agree; although I've been lucky to have great neighbors I could count on.  One time I spent a week in the hospital and while ok, was very weak.  I had to grocery shop as I had no food, but wasn't able to carry the stuff up two flights of stairs.  so my friend and neighbor downstairs said call when you come back and she brought my stuff up. 

I hate imposting too, but i always offer help to my other live-alone neighbors, so i figure in a pinch, i could ask one of them.

MissRose

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2010, 07:20:03 AM »
I enjoy my independence in my apartment.

I can make my own messes and clean them up.

The food is ALL mine.

The computer, internet, and tv are under my control only, and I don't have to share.

I have my own assigned parking space in the car port.

I can do the laundry when I feel like it.

I go to bed and get up when i feel like it on my days off.

I don't worry that I am bothering others when I have to get up early for work in morning.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2010, 07:55:07 AM »
I've learned that you can suck bugs up with the vacuum cleaner if you don't want to or can't smash them (but I still miss my bug-killer roommate). 

I also used to check behind my shower curtain but then I learned it was just easier to keep it open.  :)

Another bug trick, especially on the ceiling; the original swiffer mop...i call it my bug stick, and the flat part works really welll for squishing bugs you don't want to get near!  you still have to clean the remains up, but better than doing the flailing dance to get away from the live ones!

magicdomino

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »

Yeah, it is surprisingly difficult to drive yourself to the emergency room with a broken arm.   :-\  And I recommend keeping the first aid kit up to date, because it is annoying to have to drive to the drugstore because the cut is bigger than the supply of bandages.