News:

• February 25, 2018, 06:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "email conversations such as this are a bit unprofessional"  (Read 7300 times)

Lynda_34

Re: "email conversations such as this are a bit unprofessional"
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 11:28:15 AM »
I would follow up phone calls with an e mail reviewing what was discussed. 

Also I like the blind CC feature.  This way you're keeping you boss in the loop but she doesn't know it.  I've used it on several occasions. 

Also the e mail demanding I call her etc. can be forwarded with a question about how should this be handled.,  You can still play the I"m new here what are the rules card.

Good luck, I'm sure she feels threatened and is trying to stake her territory.

TaylorMade

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »
I think all this is getting blown way out of proportion
Alot of these suggestions seem to be a way of making the situation worse.

Her email was stupid - no question.  But again
1. Asking to talk about something over the phone is not cause for running to the boss
2. Asking for a phone call if something in her dept is not right (ie; towels that aren't suitable are being sent) is actually understandable.  Perhaps she has a good reason.

Going to the boss over this is way over the top.  Refusing to speak on to her on the phone is just ...not a good business move.

I'm totally with Hanna on this one.    Personally here is what I would do:

Give her a call.  Talk with her and ask her why she prefers phone calls to her cell phone vs. email and radio.   Let her know why you prefer email.  Work together on how the two of you can communicate effectively so that both of you can can get your job done.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »
What if LS starts bullying or yelling at the OP?  Any suggestions for that?
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »
What if LS starts bullying or yelling at the OP?  Any suggestions for that?

"I'm sorry, I can't talk with you when you're being so unprofessional. Please call me when you ready to discuss this. Goodbye." Click.  >:D

"I will not continue this conversation if you cannot speak civilly to me."

Danismom

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »
Perhaps it would be better if we could schedule a meeting in person.  I will email you and boss my availability so we can all sit down together. *click*

AM in AL

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »
For once I've read all responses before responding!

I would respond to her email and ask her two things:
What is unprofessional about using work email to discuss work?
Why they have radios if you aren't to use them?

I would not call her personal cell. I don't think you need to copy your boss (yet), but I would absolutely continue the conversation via email so I had a trail.

I'm sorry to disagree, but I think this tactic might increase hostilites rather than smooth things over professionally with Laundry lady. Since this woman is known for bullying others, it is probably best not to give her something to complain about to your boss.  Rather than confront her with these (totally rational) questions, remember you may not be dealing with a rational person. I'd just pretend her insult never happened, and ask for clarification about contacting someone when she's on a day off, and do it by email.

I see your point - being bullheaded is an issue of mine, and I am slowly learning that sometimes it's better not to engage the crazies. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm willing to humor them too far, either, so in actuality I hope I'd respond in a confused rather than a challenging manner:

I think email conversations are indeed professional, as this way we both have a record of our discussion and know that we're on the same page. I'm not comfortable using your personal cellphone for work-related discussions, so how would you like me to contact your department should an issue arise in the future?

I stand by my opinion that I would not use her personal cell line (because I do want a record of our discussion and I do not want to give her an opportunity to rag on me), and since she is not my boss, I do not have to follow her guidance on how to communicate when the company provides us with radios and an email server. I expect she still might not take it well that I don't call, but that's not my problem. As I just stated in another thread, I believe there would be less SS's in the world if (universal, collective) we all just said no.

And I may be the last person in the world without an unlimited cell account, but do not use my personal cell phone for anything less than a work-related emergency - and do not text me, for Pete's sake, at .10 a pop!

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 02:39:15 PM »
"Sounds like there are a few issues we need to address. I'm scheduled to be off the next couple of days, but let's get together and discuss the issues on Friday. Thanks!"

Basically this is one of those situations where you should just let it roll off your back for the most part. Let her know you will get together with her as she is requesting. Once you have the meeting with her, send her an e-mail to follow up on the interaction contents to CYA.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
I believe your best bet is to have the chat first and then follow it with email if you do agree on procedures for the future.

I do this all the time. Firstly, it can be for my own protection, but more importantly it ensures both parties understood the conversation in the same way.

I would avoid being confrontational for now. See how the talk goes. If not well, then it's time to bring in your manager, but for now I'd really try to manage the situation myself.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

lmyrs

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »
You don't have to bend to her every whim, but you also need to compromise. I'd respond to her email with an email saying that you will be out of the office until Friday and will contact her then. I'd phone her on Friday and the second she starts bullying, you use the line from above about waiting to talk until she's calmer. I'd also go to the boss before the meeting and get a "clarification" that you are following proper procedures by using the radio. If boss has no problem with Laundry Lady's request, just go with it until it causes a problem.

MissManager

• Poster formerly known as GuardLB
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »
I totally didn't think about this before, but the company does rebate management for personal cellphones since some people use it for work. I don't use it because I have 200 employees and don't need them all calling me everytime they have the sniffles. My boss has it an my secretary type people have it so they can find get in touch with me if there is an emergency. I have no way of knowing if she turns in her receipts for work.

MissManager

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 08:17:53 AM »
Update... Well kinda

I was in meetings most of the day because we're about to launch a new program.
My boss and I went to lunch and I asked her if she talked to laundry manager about the towels. She basically told me "yah but y'all handle it" I then told her she seem more aggravated that I called my request on the radio and what is the proper procedure. She said she thought the radio was but again talk to laundry manager. But it laundry manager isn't suppose to be back until Sunday.

MissManager

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 08:28:37 AM »
Sorry the iPhone limits my text space
Later after my meetings laundry manager shows up in my area to borrower 1 of my employees for some reason something about a duvet. My boss ok'd it while I was at the meeting so no biggie. I saw her and smiled at her and she chose not to acknowledge me. I have about 4 other projects to worry about getting ready for the new program and other stuff. So I'll make time for her if she asks to discuss it again, but really I've got more important things the worry about then towels.