Author Topic: Potato Salad Recipe and other quick side dishes for hamburger???  (Read 2253 times)

mrsbrandt

• I can run under a 9 minute mile!!!
    • Brandts Online
Hi everyone,

I'm surprising DH with some OmahaSteak Hamburgers (his uncle recommended them) for Father's Day (we're celebrating on Friday).  I was wondering what side dishes you'd recommend with them and also if you could share the recipes?  I'd love to make a homemade potato salad, and I was wondering if you had any amazing recipes.  Thanks so much.

Meena

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Potato Salad Recipe and other quick side dishes for hamburger???
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:12:15 PM »
I love potato salad with olive oil instead of mayo:

Mediteranean potato salad
==============
5-6 potatoes
3/4 cups olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1-3 garlic cloves, crushed
salt, pepper
optional: chopped parsley or chopped mint leaves

boil the potatoes, peel, chop into cubes
whisk remaining ingreds together, and pour over cubes when still warm. serve at room temp.

side dishes: I would recommend something like brocolli spears lightly steamed

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jamiescudder

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
My family loves baked beans with their burgers. Then again, they love baked beans with just about anything. They're quick and easy to make, unfortunately we always make them by eyeballing our ingredients, there's no recipe. Here's the closest I can come.

Open your canned pork 'n' beans and drain them. Dump them in a baking dish. Add some ketchup, I'd suggest starting with somewhere around 1/4 cup. Put in a small squirt of mustard. Sprinkle some garlic powder on. Dice up an onion and toss in however much looks right. Add some brown sugar, again start with 1/4 cup. Stir it all together and taste it to see if you need to make any changes. Lay some bacon strips across the top and bake at 350 for an hour, or lower the temperature and bake longer.

The best potato salad that I've ever had was my SIL's. She refuses to give out the recipe, but DH can get really close in copying it.

Start with chopped boiled potatoes. Throw in some chopped hard boiled eggs and some diced bread and butter pickles. DH swears that you can't substitute sweet relish or sweet pickles. Stir in dressing and refrigerate for at least a few hours, butter overnight.

For the dressing mix together some mayonnaise and canned evaporated milk. Add a little apple cider vinegar. Put in some of the juice off the pickles. Toss in a little sugar. I can't remember now if a squirt of mustard goes in or not. Whisk it all together and taste to be sure that flavor is right.

My mom's potato salad usually gets rave reviews from friends and family. I think that I just got tired of it, since every time that she goes somewhere that potato salad would be appropriate she's asked to make it. Her recipe is as follows.

Start with chopped boiled potatoes. Add chopped boiled egg and diced onion. Toss in some diced pickles. (Bread and butter pickles are the favorite, but sweet pickles and sweet relish have been used.) Add enough miracle whip to coat everything. Put in a squirt of mustard and sprinkle some garlic on. Mix it all together. Taste to be sure that flavor is right. Refrigerate for at least a couple hours, better overnight.

ImSusan615

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »
For my sister's potato salad, she peels, dices, and boils red potatoes.  Drain and cool. Add some chopped hard boiled eggs, diced cucumbers, chopped celery, chopped onion, and sliced green olives (the red from the pimentos is a nice touch).  Mix in the mustard and mayo and you're done.  Very tasty.

veryfluffy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:59:49 AM »
Potato salad is wonderful with new potatoes -- best if you can get charlotte potatoes or jersey royals, or red fir apple potatoes are good too, if a bit odd looking. Boil (in their skins, obviously) and slice into 1 cm chunks with the skins on. I just add a ton of snipped chives, and dress with olive oil and mayonnaise and a good amount of coarsely ground black pepper.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »
Not to hijack, but does anyone have a good recipe for classic potato salad?  No pickles, please.

ImSusan615

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:12:08 PM »
Not to hijack, but does anyone have a good recipe for classic potato salad?  No pickles, please.

Jais, do you mean a classic mustard potato salad?  Because that's just potatos, hard boiled eggs, mustard and mayo.  It's common to add things in it to jazz it up, like onion, celery, and lots of other things like you've seen above.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 12:34:50 PM »
My Potato Salad (ok, it's my Mom's but she's not on EH ;))

Red Potatos, chopped in 1/4 boiled, drained and cooled
Celery, diced
Red Onion, diced
Mix the above together
And then add :
Enough Mayo to lightly coat the mixture - I've been using the low fat mayo and it works just fine
Dill, Salt and Pepper to Taste.

So easy to make and YUMMY even better the next day when the flavors have "set"