Author Topic: Curse my love of foreign comedians! (warning: adult language)  (Read 2432 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: Curse my love of foreign comedians! (warning: adult language)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 05:14:37 AM »
One of my best friends is a U.S. citizen who moved here (to Australia) 2 years ago. She honestly can't tell the difference between NZ, Aussie or South African accents.  It confuses the hell out of her, because - as is common in Sydney - her coworkers include severals Kiwis and a couple of Saffas.  To her everybody sounds the same and she thinks they're all Australian (seeing as she moved to Australia!), until she hears otherwise.

I have similar difficulty differentiating between U.S. and Canadian accents.  I also have similar difficulty differentiating between certain Eastern European accents.    But coming from a smaller country (NZ) I think we're a bit more aware of the differences because we're the itty bitty minority.  In the U.S. there are so many different regional accent that just being aware of that is impressive! 

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 05:18:14 AM »
Hilarious! ;D Thanks for the link!

I love, love, love Adam Hills! I discovered him through the Aussie accent clip as well, and since the Kiwi accent is exactly the same, it was love at first sight :D

Kiwis and Aussies do NOT have the same accent. We love each other dearly, will take the mickey at any chance we get, but for darwins sake, don't ever say we speak the same.

LOL! Oh, Kiwis and Aussies definitely don't speak the same! I've lived in NZ, I know ;) However, the Kiwi accent is exactly the same as the Aussie accent in that we go up at the end of each sentence as if it were a question. AND we ask questions that don't need answering. So the jokes he makes in that skit would work just as well for the Kiwi accent :)

Yeah, it's just like Americans and Canadians!  They all sound the same.
We do not! I'm from BC and sound very, very alike to someone from west coast American states. Maybe there's a "west coast" accent. However, I don't sound like I'm from Texas, or Louisiana, or Halifax or Quebec or Manitoba for that matter.  :P

North America: It is diverse, really. ;)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 05:47:24 AM »

I love, love, love Adam Hills! I discovered him through the Aussie accent clip as well, and since the Kiwi accent is exactly the same, it was love at first sight :D

Kiwis and Aussies do NOT have the same accent. We love each other dearly, will take the mickey at any chance we get, but for darwins sake, don't ever say we speak the same.

LOL! Oh, Kiwis and Aussies definitely don't speak the same! I've lived in NZ, I know ;) However, the Kiwi accent is exactly the same as the Aussie accent in that we go up at the end of each sentence as if it were a question. AND we ask questions that don't need answering. So the jokes he makes in that skit would work just as well for the Kiwi accent :)

Yeah, it's just like Americans and Canadians!  They all sound the same.
We do not! I'm from BC and sound very, very alike to someone from west coast American states. Maybe there's a "west coast" accent. However, I don't sound like I'm from Texas, or Louisiana, or Halifax or Quebec or Manitoba for that matter.  :P

Yeah, that's why I came back with my new post (just above yours) to explain.    ;D

You're all very diverse, but we'd never pick up the subtle nuances.... just like you don't with ours. 

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Tashigi

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 02:16:57 PM »
/goes into a foxhole, though in any case, I'm American and have no concept of "real" language. Figures. :P

All I remember about the Kiwi accent is that it sounds "softer." And I've only heard about the swapping the "i" with an "e". This is why I was not a Linguistics major...

The accent might be softer, I grant you .....

Those large gentlemen over there (points to the hulks on the EH sports field), they are the 'All Blacks.' They, however, are definately soft and cuddly. Go say hello.

(sniggers and wanders off into the stands to watch the game and make sheep noises)

Soft and cuddly? Only to their mamas. ;)

And I would willingly say hello to an All Blacks player. And an All Whites player for that matter... 2010 FIFA World Cup was GLORIOUS. /drools in remembrance

Funny thing is, my first encounter with a Kiwi was a rather eccentric female English literature professor, who basically got one over the entire class's collective heads by making us guess what part of England she was from and then informing us that she was in fact from New Zealand. Which made her later lecture on the particular peculiarities of English culture very, very funny. But I did note that her accent didn't seem quite "right"; it wasn't as pronounced as the other English people I'd met before her (most of them spoke with an Oxford accent, I believe...).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:24:07 PM by Tashigi »

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 03:03:51 AM »

Yeah, it's just like Americans and Canadians!  They all sound the same.
We do not! I'm from BC and sound very, very alike to someone from west coast American states. Maybe there's a "west coast" accent. However, I don't sound like I'm from Texas, or Louisiana, or Halifax or Quebec or Manitoba for that matter.  :P

Yeah, that's why I came back with my new post (just above yours) to explain.    ;D

You're all very diverse, but we'd never pick up the subtle nuances.... just like you don't with ours.  
Oops, missed yours! I'll admit I have a tin ear when it comes to non-North American accents.

One of my best friends is a U.S. citizen who moved here (to Australia) 2 years ago. She honestly can't tell the difference between NZ, Aussie or South African accents.  It confuses the hell out of her, because - as is common in Sydney - her coworkers include severals Kiwis and a couple of Saffas.  To her everybody sounds the same and she thinks they're all Australian (seeing as she moved to Australia!), until she hears otherwise.

I have similar difficulty differentiating between U.S. and Canadian accents.  I also have similar difficulty differentiating between certain Eastern European accents.    But coming from a smaller country (NZ) I think we're a bit more aware of the differences because we're the itty bitty minority.  In the U.S. there are so many different regional accent that just being aware of that is impressive!  
I can recognize South African accents... as long as the person in question speaks Afrikaans and has an accent close to Sharlto Copley's. Okay, I can recognize some South African accents. ;D

I can't tell a lot of Eastern European accents apart either. Or Swedish vs Norwegian for that matter. I think that you need to hear a specific accent a lot before you can differentiate it from other similar accents.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:06 PM »
I'm in the States and can distinguish *some* non-American English accents. I can tell Cockney from Liverpudlian from Scottish and NZ/Australia, but don't ask me to identify a person from Manchester vs. someone from Oxfordshire, or someone from Melbourne vs. someone from Auckland.

Then again, in my own country, I can't distinguish among Southern accents -- Georgians, Kentuckians, Virginians and Alabamans all sound alike to me. Ditto North Dakota vs. Minnesota vs. Wisconsin, or Boston vs. Rhode Island (and I'm *from* Boston!). So I wouldn't expect someone from outside the country to get those little nuances.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

hellgirl

• Procrastinator-extraordinaire!
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 12:45:37 AM »
That was funny  ;D

And as a happy bonus he was introducing Tripod. If you've never heard them (and you like Australian comedy) it's well worth the timewaste  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSqFqhUzutg&feature=related
Not a great version, but the quickest I could find.