Author Topic: Curse my love of foreign comedians! (warning: adult language)  (Read 2447 times)

Tashigi

Curse my love of foreign comedians! (warning: adult language)
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »
I got linked to an Australian comedian named Adam Hills by a community that I frequent (way too much). It started out as history and accent jokes but then I just fell in love with this man.

This is the clip that started it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBYnL5fAXE&videos=EfjEUd9mTMs

"I'm afraid we're heading down that thirty years from now judges will be delivering verdicts: 'I find you guilty of murder???'"

His accents are absolutely hilarious and almost spot on (except when he tries to imitate a Korean woman).

And here's a massive show he did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtW-RtMJkwY&feature=related

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
Re: Curse my love of foreign comedians! (warning: adult language)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
He's hilarious! I love it!

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 02:16:18 AM »

I didn't watch the links, but I am very aware of Adam Hills.
He's very good isn't he. The thinking woman's comedian I say.
Have you seen his prosthetic foot?
Stewart/Colbert '16

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:35:21 AM »
I love, love, love Adam Hills! I discovered him through the Aussie accent clip as well, and since the Kiwi accent is exactly the same, it was love at first sight :D

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

sweetgirl

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
he's got a prosthetic leg. Actually I'm aussie and only recently found that out by one of his comedy shows.

O'Dell

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »
Thanks for the link! My husband and I spent last evening watching him. Hilarious!!
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

AdakAK

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 02:46:42 PM »
That was funny.  Plus it reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSqFqhUzutg which always makes me laugh.

saddened

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:01:48 AM »
My favourite of his is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiEycVMKoJo

If you're not familiar with Jimmy Barnes' song Working Class Man it may not be as funny though. Here's the Jimmy Barnes song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erSJGrpfnOI&feature=related

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:35:57 PM »
Now I must share this with all my friends... Thank you!

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 12:55:05 AM »
I love, love, love Adam Hills! I discovered him through the Aussie accent clip as well, and since the Kiwi accent is exactly the same, it was love at first sight :D

Kiwis and Aussies do NOT have the same accent. We love each other dearly, will take the mickey at any chance we get, but for darwins sake, don't ever say we speak the same.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:29:23 AM »

Kiwis and Aussies do NOT have the same accent. We love each other dearly, will take the mickey at any chance we get, but for darwins sake, don't ever say we speak the same.

LOL! Oh, Kiwis and Aussies definitely don't speak the same! I've lived in NZ, I know ;) However, the Kiwi accent is exactly the same as the Aussie accent in that we go up at the end of each sentence as if it were a question. AND we ask questions that don't need answering. So the jokes he makes in that skit would work just as well for the Kiwi accent :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 04:56:28 AM »

LOL! Oh, Kiwis and Aussies definitely don't speak the same! I've lived in NZ, I know ;) However, the Kiwi accent is exactly the same as the Aussie accent in that we go up at the end of each sentence as if it were a question. AND we ask questions that don't need answering. So the jokes he makes in that skit would work just as well for the Kiwi accent :)

Yeah, it's just like Americans and Canadians!  They all sound the same.

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

sweetgirl

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
I luve at sexty sex sexpence street and I love me some feesh and cheeps. Choice bro  :P

Tashigi

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
/goes into a foxhole, though in any case, I'm American and have no concept of "real" language. Figures. :P

All I remember about the Kiwi accent is that it sounds "softer." And I've only heard about the swapping the "i" with an "e". This is why I was not a Linguistics major...

I have to say his bit on women's magazines is really really sweet (and clinched my massive crush on him, despite the facts that A) he's married and with a daughter and B) old enough to be my father): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-o3go0Fl-w&feature=related

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 04:33:12 AM »
/goes into a foxhole, though in any case, I'm American and have no concept of "real" language. Figures. :P

All I remember about the Kiwi accent is that it sounds "softer." And I've only heard about the swapping the "i" with an "e". This is why I was not a Linguistics major...

The accent might be softer, I grant you .....

Those large gentlemen over there (points to the hulks on the EH sports field), they are the 'All Blacks.' They, however, are definately soft and cuddly. Go say hello.

(sniggers and wanders off into the stands to watch the game and make sheep noises)
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.