Author Topic: what exactly are light refreshments????  (Read 13964 times)

Hopefull

what exactly are light refreshments????
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:59:58 AM »
I am having an open house from 2 pm to 5pm for my hair accessories {bows} that I make. I put on the invitation that I will be serving light refreshments. Also said people are welcome to stay for as little or as much time as they want.
My question is what do you consider light refreshments???
I was thinking of some veggie platters, this awesome chicken appetiser, coffee cake, bottles of water, sodas, tea, and some fresh fruit.  Does this sound adequate?
I felt this thrill going up my leg!

missmolly

Re: what exactly are light refreshments????
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:10:55 AM »
That sounds great. When I see that phrase I assume an afternoon tea, casual finger-food sort of vibe.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 01:15:40 AM »

I would usually assume more than chips and salsa, but not enough to make a full meal. What you described sounds fine.

bellawitch

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:20:35 AM »
Sounds nice, but one thing consider. A friend of mine sells books from her home and in Nov does her open house. The people were nibbling while browsing and one of her foods had a bit of a messy factor. Several books got stained and had to later be sold at a discount. So think of set up, may be let the bows be in the first room, that being the first order of business, then the flow leds them to where they may purchase if they desire and the last room they can sit, relax. eat, look at brouchures. And always keep the messy factor in mind!!!!!

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »
POD to Bellawitch.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

high dudgeon

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
I might add some crackers, bread, pretzels or chips, to be on the safe side. Cheap, not messy, and pretty much liked by everyone.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »
Light refreshment to me, means less than a meal more than just dessert.

I think your menu is fine except I'd add on just a few more easy munchies.    Since you want people to stay and buy things I'd be sure to add something a bit more "filling" so people are inclined to linger a bit more.

Suggestions:
chips and dip
cheese and crackers
bread and bread dip
Bruschetta
Hummus & Pita

And since you sell hair ribbons what about adding something sort of ribbon-esque to the table?  What about a little bowl of ribbon candy?  Or dessert cupcakes with little bow decorations on top.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"