Author Topic: Joint Christmas Gifts for Parents - Okay or No?  (Read 4133 times)

Ondine

Joint Christmas Gifts for Parents - Okay or No?
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:06 AM »
I've already started purchasing some of my Christmas gifts, as I have seven people to buy for. I have an odd question about a joint Christmas gift for my parents.

Perseus, his cousin, cousin's fiancee and I are going to a local resort town/city for a fondue night date. The fondue consists of a three course meal - bread and multiple cheese fondues, a main course of exotic meats (aligator, etc) or regular game (venison, chicken, pork, etc), and a dessert course of fruit, cake, and chocolate or caramel sauce.  My parents have graciously allowed for us to use their condo fifteen minutes in a neighbouring town, rather than pay to stay in a hotel in resort town/city.

Now, I think a gift certificate so my parents can go out would be a great Christmas gift, as this is not something they would purchase for themselves, and they go to their condo often.  It's pricey ($50 a person, but you get tons of food), so it would be more than I would normally spend, but well worth it.  Is this a good idea, or should I just purchase seperate gifts?

katycoo

Re: Joint Christmas Gifts for Parents - Okay or No?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 02:08:48 AM »
I think its fine.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 02:27:23 AM »
Sounds good to me. I don't see anything wrong with giving a couple joint gifts, as long as it's something they both would enjoy :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »
I hope there is nothing wrong with giving joint gifts because I have been doing so for years.

I do make sure that it is something that they can both use and enjoy.  I give my parents and FIL and SMIL gift certificates to their favorite restaurants so we can treat them to dinner at their convenience.

I know that DH and I have no problem with joint gifts at all. I would rather be giving a joint gift that 2 separate gifts because that means we don't have to deal with more things and we are trying to cut down on things. If someone gave us a gift certificate to a nice restaurant that is wonderful because DH and I can have a nice evening together.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »
Giving couple gifts is fine, as long as it's for something that both halves of the couple enjoy and can use.  Giving a big basket of chocolate when one of them doesn't eat chocolate is bad, giving a gift certificate to a restaurant they both like (or you expect them both to like) is good. :)

granny weatherwax

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
It sounds a wonderful gift-something they can both enjoy.  ;D

faithlessone

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 02:38:10 PM »
I agree - it's something they'd both like, and it lets them enjoy a nice evening out together. Lovely!

look in the tunk

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »
It's fine. At least I hope so or my parents have been secretly peeved at me for a few years ;)

saki

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »
I think the main thing to to think about with joint gifts is whether it's something that both of them would really enjoy.  E.g. my mother-in-law gave us a "thank you for having me to stay" gift when she stayed with us recently and made it a bottle of a spirit that only my husband drinks.  That's not really a joint gift.  So, if only one of your parents really likes this kind of thing, I'd avoid it.  But if both of them would really enjoy it, go for it!

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »
A joint gift is nice if it takes into account whether or not both parties will like it.  If you think both your parents would enjoy such a gift, I don't see any reason not to give it to them.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »
I agree with the others -- as long as you have reason to believe they will both enjoy it, it sounds like a great gift.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
I've done something similar for my parents before!

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

Nuku

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
Unless the couple seems on the verge of a breakup, I'd say a joint gift that they both can enjoy is always nice. I have an aunt and uncle who I always make up a gift basket of gourmet treats for. And last Christmas, I knitted an afghan for my BF's parents. And I usually give my step-brother's family something that they all can enjoy. (Food is always a good choice if there's a teenager in the house.)

Personally, I kind of like food gifts for Christmas. I bake tons of cookies to give away during the holidays, but I always like getting some treats in return. Especially when it's stuff like gift baskets w/all the non-perishable stuff you need for a pasta dinner or restaurant gift cards. I love to cook, but by December 26, I'm ready to spend less time in the kitchen!

Athos_000

• Cats.... The Perfect Protein?
    • kbaumanart.com
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »
I think it is perfectly fine. My parent's would love something like that (and you have given me an idea, they are both hard to shop for the 'I don't know, we don't need anything' people lol!)

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »
I think it sounds fine. When giving my mom suggestions for DH and I this year, one of the things I suggested was restaurant gift cards because it's nice to be able to have a night out.