Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

making assumptions about family relationsships

<< < (27/27)

SoCalVal:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on August 13, 2012, 06:42:06 PM ---I've had an Aunt and Niece in the same class/grade before. The aunt liked to play it up a bit when they were little. They are quite good friends now.

--- End quote ---

I was in a college class with my youngest aunt once (the one I mention upthread).  We ran into each other on the first day of class, not knowing the other was attending the school.  She was embarrassed to be know as my aunt so she asked me not to tell anyone (at the time this happened, we would've been the same age since it was a summer class, I would've just had my 18th birthday and her birthday would not yet have happened so she also would've still been 18).  I thought it was hilarious, but I didn't tell anyone in class, as she wished.

wonderfullyanonymous:
One night I was ringing out a Hispanic couple with three children. There were 2 older, and an infant. The whole family looked alike, same features, skin color, hair, except for the baby. While the baby had the features, she was lighter skinned, brown eyes, but FLAMING red hair.

I said, I'm really sorry, but I have to ask, where did she get that red hair? I said, I can tell she is yours, her features are exact to the 2 older kids, and she resembles you two. 

They laughed, and she said she has an uncle with the same hair color.

I guess that's not the first time who got that question.

No, they said, it wasn't.

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: wonderfullyanonymous on August 14, 2012, 08:02:47 AM ---One night I was ringing out a Hispanic couple with three children. There were 2 older, and an infant. The whole family looked alike, same features, skin color, hair, except for the baby. While the baby had the features, she was lighter skinned, brown eyes, but FLAMING red hair.

I said, I'm really sorry, but I have to ask, where did she get that red hair? I said, I can tell she is yours, her features are exact to the 2 older kids, and she resembles you two. 

They laughed, and she said she has an uncle with the same hair color.

I guess that's not the first time who got that question.

No, they said, it wasn't.

--- End quote ---
Brett has the most gorgeous hair color - but he is going to have trouble naming it on any official document. Depending on the light it he is a towhead, dirty blond, strawberry blond, red head. One of BIL's relatives was marveling at the mystery of genetics and mentioned that Brett looks like an exact cross between Sis and BIL except for the hair no-one in either family is a towhead or redhead. Sis and I burst out laughing. Sis was a towhead, Mom and I both have dark hair with natural red highlights. Then we started counting off the towheads and red heads in each of the four branches of our family that we really know. 2 of those branches are Irish decent, 1 is Scottish both with a couple of  Arcadian great-great grandparents. I'm the only one on Dad's side in the 1st cousins that had dark hair as a child out of 5. On Mom's side there are 26 or so first cousins and only 3 of us had dark hair as children. Most of the towheads darkened in adolescence to dirty blond/light brown.

*new*mommyagain36:
About a month ago DS (18) and I were at a family members church gathering.  My hubby and toddler daughter were also with us.  Several hours into the day an elderly woman approached me in the ladies room and said "he's a little young for you dear."  Confused, I asked for clarification.  She had assumed my son was my boyfriend!  I smiled and said, "he's my son, ma'am" and walked out barely able to hold in my laughter.  That was definitely "an interesting assumption!" on her part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version