Author Topic: Polite teenage boys bolster Grandma's impression of new country  (Read 1733 times)

bookfrog

Polite teenage boys bolster Grandma's impression of new country
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:41:57 PM »
Background: My grandparents joined us here in North America a few years back.  This was the practical thing to do, as they have no family under 70 remaining in Old Country and they were missing us.  However, immigrating when you are 70+ and lived in the same city almost all your life is rarely easy. End Background

After a while, my grandmother and I were talking.  She told me that she was walking to the grocery store and saw some teenage boys loitering by the door.  She was a bit apprehensive, as teenage boys do not have the best reputation.  Imagine her surprise when one of said boys jumped to open and hold the door for her with a big, polite smile! She said that was the day she realized North America had its good points too (other than her family being there).

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
Re: Polite teenage boys bolster Grandma's impression of new country
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »
Nice!

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

heartmug

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
Great story!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

CinnamonGirl

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:45:11 PM »
That is so sweet!

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:01:50 AM »
Awesome! 

To be honest, out of all the various demographics, in my city, I have found teenaged boys young men of all creeds, races, or nationalities to be the most polite.
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"