Author Topic: Have you got a man to do that?  (Read 11648 times)

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
Have you got a man to do that?
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:34:25 AM »
We bought my daughter a new bed few weeks ago and I worked from home to take delivery of it.

The bed required some quite simple assembly and I am quite happy to put something with clear instructions together.

The delivery was done by two men, who carried the different parts straight up to her bedroom. When they were leaving, one of them turned around and said "So, do you have a man to put it together for you?" I kind of spluttered and said I was planning to do it myself. He replied "I think you need a man."

At this point I chose to ignore him. Rather than replying to him, I signed the delivery sheet and, thanked them and ushered both men downstairs and out of my house.

45 minutes later the bed was assembled and it's been fine - even if I did it myself  ;D.

Surely I can't be the only female who can assemble simple furniture together? I have no DIY skills as such, but honestly? Fixing few screws and bolts I find quite easy.

I thought it was a rather interesting assumption. Not everyone 'has a man' and some men can't do these jobs (I am looking at my father - a professional builder who loses his cool with flatpacks in about five minutes)!

Would you have said something else?
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

AprilRenee

Re: Have you got a man to do that?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:40:44 AM »
I would have been hard pressed not to say something like "I need a man? Honey, I AM a man, at least until  next month!" just to see what he'd say :P

Seriously, I probably would have gotten really serious looking and cold and said "I WILL do it myself, thanks though"

The interesting assumption line and the "Thanks for your concern" probably would work too.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:21:24 AM »
Are you sure he wasn't flirting with you?

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:41:40 AM »
"So he can stand there and hand me the tools as I need them?"

another handy woman here. I have a very nicely stocked toolbox.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

faithlessone

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 05:50:23 AM »
Count me as a girl who is useless at DIY. I once spent approximately 3 hours trying to put a bookcase together before giving in and calling my housemate's boyfriend to do it.

However, that delivery guy was kinda sexist and rude. I love AprilRenee's suggestion!

Nora

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:50:57 AM »
It's amazing he could hear you all the way in 1954.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:39 AM »
Count me as a girl who is useless at DIY. I once spent approximately 3 hours trying to put a bookcase together before giving in and calling my housemate's boyfriend to do it.

However, that delivery guy was kinda sexist and rude. I love AprilRenee's suggestion!

I am useless at DIY.  I have a husband who is very good at it though. Failing that I call my father in law when something breaks. He also helps me with my computers as I am useless at those too. My FIL did a lovely job installing my new stove when the old one broke. However, I agree what the salesguy said was sexist. It is nobody's business who puts the bed together.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:46:37 AM »

This was my first thought too.  Was he leering as he said "I think you need a man"?
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

missmolly

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
"A Man? Is that a new brand of Hammer?"

"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Marlene

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »
Would I have said something else? Nah, not to a delivery guy, not about this. He's just making conversation. Let it go and brag about your fine work to someone else. "Look honey, I made the bed! Now bring me a beer and the remote, thanks!".

Amava

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
"My wife will be home soon, I'm sure between the two of us we'll manage to get the job done."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
I'm single so there isn't much choice in who does the work, unless my Dad is over to help me.  We work really well together.  I read the directions and he does what I tell him to.   ;D

But in the case of this delivery guy, if he was cute, I might have asked, 'You offering?'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Perfect Circle

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »

This was my first thought too.  Was he leering as he said "I think you need a man"?

I suppose it's possible, but in a way I hope not. Really if he was, his technique was not very good...
Have been misunderstood

Perfect Circle

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »
I would have been hard pressed not to say something like "I need a man? Honey, I AM a man, at least until  next month!" just to see what he'd say :P

I really wish I could think of a witty response on my feet. Most of the time I can't...

Have been misunderstood

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »
He replied "I think you need a man."

"Why, does it have to be target pee'd on or something?"

The only assembly I need my DH for is driving the brads in straight when attaching the back cover of cheap bookcases. I do ok, but he's got better aim in general.