Author Topic: Have you got a man to do that?  (Read 11160 times)

The Opinionator

• You keep using that word.
Re: Have you got a man to do that?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »
He replied "I think you need a man."

"Why, does it have to be target pee'd on or something?"

The only assembly I need my DH for is driving the brads in straight when attaching the back cover of cheap bookcases. I do ok, but he's got better aim in general.
Hyzenthlay, you owe me a new laptop ;D. I should have known better than to drink coffee while reading eHell.

Count me as another handy woman. My flatmate was very impressed with me taking apart the furniture and then putting it back together when we moved the last time. Apparently she wasn't as impressed with me saying 'Hon, it's only IKEA.'. You haven't lived until you've had to assemble a 30 year old tent with 3 separate rooms. That was fun.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:49:55 PM by Andra »
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Namárië

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »
I put together every piece of furniture in my bedroom (all 11 of em!), except for the dresser (which I repainted and added resin rose appliqués to). I also modified some of the pieces so that they all had matching knobs, and had to drill about 8 million holes so that they were larger.

The guy who delivered my very large bookcase stared at me incredulously when I said I wasn't going to need help putting it together (I didn't!).  
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 02:03:02 PM »
I am the one who puts together all the furniture (if needed) in our house.  In fact, I even put together my sectional sofa.  I ordered it online from homereserve.com--it all came flat packed and the boxes all fit into my tiny car.  It made a cool time-lapse video too ;D As long as I have my rechargable screwdriver, you can't stop me!

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »
My answer would have been "Really, the salesman said all I'll need is an allen wrench and a screwdriver!".

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »
Would I have said something else? Nah, not to a delivery guy, not about this. He's just making conversation.

I wouldn't call saying "I think you need a man" just "making conversation". I'd call it directly insulting.

jibby

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 03:03:57 PM »
Although my snarky side might have slipped and given one of the PP's suggestions, I honestly think I would have looked confused and asked, "why?".

Seriously.  I taught several fellow (burly, athletic, men's men type) male volunteers how to use basic power tools at Habitat for Humanity.  I've changed my own oil and tires.  I hang drywall.  I'm a girly girl, but my dad always insisted on teaching me "man skills" so I would never need to rely on a man (his sister was/is the epitome of helpless).  There is no possible way I could have refrained from calling out that backwards ogre delivery guy.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:41 PM »
Am I the only one who would have been horribly offended by this blatant sexism?

I am not even usually that aware of it, but to be frankly told that you are not capable of a simple assembly process because you have the wrong "parts" (so to speak  ;)) would make make me see red.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 03:27:08 PM »
Oh no, you're not the only one.  I'd probably be making a call to the delivery company about it, to be honest.  But maybe that's because my reproductive organs don't dictate my ability to wield tools (power or otherwise) -- or to use my brain before I speak.

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
I'm waiting for a feedback form to come through >:D.

I have to say this wasn't small talk in my book. Offensive and sexist comments usually aren't...
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »
"So, do you have a man to put it together for you?" I kind of spluttered and said I was planning to do it myself. He replied "I think you need a man."
Would you have said something else?

"Why, do you know of any?"   >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
My reaction would have been to quote "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" and watch his head spin  (often attributed to Gloria Steinem)

I probably would have just said something like "What an interesting assumption.  I'll manage just fine.  Thank you for your concern."

I'm the handy one too.  I assemble all of Dad's new grilling toys.  I'm the one who gets the digital clocks on the DVD player, the VCR, the stove, and the microwave to display the correct time.  I'm the one who knows how to use the stud finder (I found Sweet Pattootie didn't I?  >:D ) when hanging pictures.  And now I'm the proud ownder of a new electrical wire tester!  WOOT!
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Wavicle

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »
Am I the only one who would have been horribly offended by this blatant sexism?

I am not even usually that aware of it, but to be frankly told that you are not capable of a simple assembly process because you have the wrong "parts" (so to speak  ;)) would make make me see red.

I would have been seeing red as well even though I am awful at DIY/ assembly. My lack of skills/focus have nothing to do with my gender. I probably would have been very flustered and complained to the company immediately.

I can understand the reactions to joke though, so I wouldn't ssume the people with witty reples wouldn't be offended. It is a way to cope with the frustration at how absolutely dumb that kind of statement is. There is just so much material there!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
I tend to be sarcastic when replying to an offensive remark, and sometimes when the remark is so absurd that it makes me think "Did they really just say that?" I tend to laugh at the person making the remark. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:10 PM »
I'd have said, "I've got it, thanks."

When I was 19 I put together a waterbed all by myself. I think I could handle a standard child's bed. :)

Marlene

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
Would I have said something else? Nah, not to a delivery guy, not about this. He's just making conversation.

I wouldn't call saying "I think you need a man" just "making conversation". I'd call it directly insulting.

True, it's completely within reason to interpret it as an insult. But I choose not to - the guy doesn't know me nor my furniture assembly skills, ergo it's not an insult directed personally at me. If he's of the opinion that women are incapable of anything to do with tools - then it's still not personal - it's very 1954 but whatevah... he's not someone I have to deal with on a regular basis, he's not someone whose opinion I give a flying hoot about, he's a nobody. And, as soon as he's out the door, he's gonna be a forgotten nobody.