Author Topic: Have you got a man to do that?  (Read 11715 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Have you got a man to do that?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »
My reaction would have been to quote "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" and watch his head spin  (often attributed to Gloria Steinem)
I had that t-shirt when I was a teen!

I'm the one who knows how to use the stud finder (I found Sweet Pattootie didn't I?  >:D ) when hanging pictures.
;D

Our new kitchen counters were installed yesterday.  At one point, while trying to fit straight counter edges into wavy walls, they needed a drill.  I said, "Oh good! DH just bought me a new hammer drill."  The installation guys were cool.  I fitted the chuck into the drill & started to remove the offending screws.  DH said, "Let those guys do it!"  (DH didn't think I couldn't do it, just that the guys were getting paid to do it.)  I stopped cold, but one of the guys said, "Naw, ya gotta let her use it first.  It's her new drill."  So I removed the first screw & they did the hard work. ;D Doz guys rock!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:25:20 PM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
I can understand the reactions to joke though, so I wouldn't ssume the people with witty reples wouldn't be offended. It is a way to cope with the frustration at how absolutely dumb that kind of statement is. There is just so much material there!
POD!  There are just so many witty ways to reply, most of which would go right over his neanderthal unibrow. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »
Would I have said something else? Nah, not to a delivery guy, not about this. He's just making conversation.

I wouldn't call saying "I think you need a man" just "making conversation". I'd call it directly insulting.

True, it's completely within reason to interpret it as an insult. But I choose not to - the guy doesn't know me nor my furniture assembly skills, ergo it's not an insult directed personally at me. If he's of the opinion that women are incapable of anything to do with tools - then it's still not personal - it's very 1954 but whatevah... he's not someone I have to deal with on a regular basis, he's not someone whose opinion I give a flying hoot about, he's a nobody. And, as soon as he's out the door, he's gonna be a forgotten nobody.
I think I'd be tempted to reply, "Naw, but I'll need him once I get this bed put together." <waggle eyebrows>

When I was young, back in the Jurasic Era, I was studying to get my BS in civil engineering.  I did my homework on the bus I took to college.  An older man I did not know noticed me studying and asked me what I was studying.  I said I was going to be a civil engineer.  Older Man said he worked in construction all his life and women did not belong on construction sites.  He asked me, "How many two-by-fours can you carry?"  Smart Alec Kitty replied, "Not many, so it's a good thing they won't be paying me to carry two-by-fours."  What I really wanted to reply was, "Depends upon how long they are ..." but I thought that would go right over his head. >:D

BTW - Once I started working in my field and in the field (out on jobsites), most of the men said there weren't enough women on construction sites, especially attractive, young women.  Definitely needed more of them around. ;D

Marcus Aurelius

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »
Makes me wanna see someone's reaction to my friend Cheryl calling in her man.

Cheryl is a beefy, broadshouldered chick who can heft her washing machine onto her shoulders, and sometimes does, either for chock value of because she wants to clean behind it. her husband is a bit taller than her (he's 5'10ish and she's 5'8ish.) but is pale, long haired and kinda whispy. Cheryl is the beefy one in the relationship. In fact people have (Very meanly) joked about her being "into girls" (much nastier phrasing) She laughs it off, but it hurts her husband a lot. To him, she is the most beautiful creature in the world, and he's astounded that the rest of the population doesn't agree with him.

Cheryl tends to put furniture together, not because he can't, but because she genuinely enjoys it. (She volunteered to come assemble all m Ikea furniture when I redo my room, and was disappointed when i said I could handle it.) On the other hand, he would be useful.... for keeping the kids out of Mommy's hair while she put together the bed.  >:D They have six. As I said... He thinks she's just about perfect and I'm careful to knock on any closed doors in their house to make sure I don't witness him prooving it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
I have not only assembled my own flatpack furniture, I modify it to suit my needs.  If I want it to have a shelf there, it's by goddess going to have a shelf there!

And having seen how simple furniture frames are once I get them stripped down for re-upholstery, I have no doubt that I could build them from scrap.  Not a recliner or a hideabed, since they need special hardware, but simple stuff, yes.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:21 PM »
I'd love to see the look on my friend Nance's face if someone said that to her.   She took shop in high school, which back in the 60's was unusual for a girl, but she pushed to be allowed to take it because she wanted to learn to do stuff herself, and told me she often helped her daddy work on the family car.    And now, having never married and owning a house, most of the work the house has needed, she's done it herself.   Actually this week she's been prying off the bad shingles on the roof over her kitchen and replacing it, doing ALL the labor herself.  And she's planning on putting up shingles and downspouts herself.    

She's also installed ceiling fans, made an entertainment hutch and arbor out of unused doors that were in her garage.   

I can just see her snorting and telling him she doesn't need a man and the only one she'd want is the one in her very vivid imagination.  :D :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 11:30:43 PM »
True, it's completely within reason to interpret it as an insult. But I choose not to - the guy doesn't know me nor my furniture assembly skills, ergo it's not an insult directed personally at me. If he's of the opinion that women are incapable of anything to do with tools - then it's still not personal - it's very 1954 but whatevah... he's not someone I have to deal with on a regular basis, he's not someone whose opinion I give a flying hoot about, he's a nobody. And, as soon as he's out the door, he's gonna be a forgotten nobody.

I'd rather someone who actually knows something about my assembly skills make a direct insult about them than someone just write me off entirely because of my gender where that has nothing to do with the job in question.  I might decide that the guy's not worth making a fuss over, but that doesn't change that it absolutely is an insult, and an offensive one.

I'm a single gal with my own house, so I've done my share of furniture assembly.  My brother helped me put my bedroom set together, because he was here when it was delivered, and I was better at figuring out the instructions and doing things right anyway.  He was better at a few points where you just needed more hand strength than I could muster!

Ms_Shell

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »

I think I'd be tempted to reply, "Naw, but I'll need him once I get this bed put together." <waggle eyebrows>
[/quote]

Tee hee!!! Love it!!
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

dman

• Alas, my children! This is the day you shall always remember as the day that you almost...
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 12:31:43 PM »
What really burns my rear is when I  comment on some power tool that I have or would like to purchse, the women that I work with will ask "why would YOU need tools?"  Um, because I am single & am quite capable of doing these things on my own.
I have ripped apart a back deck & rebuilt it, converted a closet into a pantry, assembled any flat packed items that I purchase and do minor repairs.  But for some reason my dds refuse to allow me to buy a chainsaw.  So guess what is on my Christmas list every year?

JoW

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
I'm female.  I'm an engineer.  I get questions like that all the time.  My standard response is "I'm sorry.  I don't understand the question."  Usually the questioner ends up tripping all over themselves being s*xist, realizing it, then trying to apologize.

For this specific incident my answer would probably be "Why would I need a man to assemble furniture?"   Let him sputter over that for a few minutes. 

LeeLieLow

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 04:02:31 PM »
My friend Sally took delivery of her flat packed computer hutch and was asked if she had someone to help her put it together.  She told the delivery man that her female friend (me) was going to help her.  He said, good, women know how to follow the directions.  He was also being sexist, but against men.  He was right, we put it together without any problem even though it took us a few work sessions, it was a BIG computer hutch.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
Sis and BIL own a custom home construction/remodel company. He runs it. Guess who puts the furnature and kids toys together. - Sis. She has been know to call me for help if she needs extra hands.

Once at their old house I was helping BIL wire some outdoor speakers. I told him he better double check a measurement or he and Sis were going to reenact a fight our parents had had when Dad ruined a custom piece of furniture by drilling in the wrong place. Sis cracked up and told him to listen to me. I was right.

It was like a replay they had just had similar custom made furniture built in and the mistake was the same. Both BIL and Dad measured from the corner but the corners were in different places on different sides of the wall. I warned both but only BIL listened. He remeasured from the door outside. I was right. He wanted the wires to come out of the bottom cupboard to the patio.

Bedroom
-------------------------|
Outside wall              |-------------------------------
                                | Back corner of cupboard
                                |_____________________
     Was drilling          | front of cupboard
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

JadeAngel

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
I once changed a flat tyre on a Monaro while three perfectly healthy and able men stood around and watched. When we were finished the garage guy came over and told me I hadn't gotten the wheel nuts on tight enough. I handed him the tyre iron and told him now that he'd gotten up from his folding chair by the door, to knock himself out (since it had taken all my intestinal fortitude not to do it for him).  ;D

DIY capability is not actually located in the Y chromosome. As long as a girl can read and has some good power tools she can pretty much do anything a man can do (with a lot less belching!), the furniture guy was being patronizing and I would have told him to stuff his opinion up his flatpack and get out of my house so I could get started on assembling the bed and then remove and reinstall the bathroom shelves before giving my car an oil change.

>:D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2010, 11:57:11 PM »
You know it's funny, anytime I've gone to Home Depot, I've gotten more respect from the male employees who have helped me find things than the females.   

Last time I was there it was to get another gallon of paint in the same color I'd chosen the last time, so I just grabbed the finish I wanted of the right brand and brought it up to the counter with the chip.    Now the time before that I had a woman give me the third degree because I didn't want to buy their Fresh Aire paints that were more expensive, then she tried to talk me out of the semi-gloss finish because people said it was too shiny.    When I insisted it's what I wanted she assured me I could return it if I changed my mind, like she was sure I would.   Well, I haven't.  :)

So anyroads, the most recent time I had a guy that strongly resembles Tommy Lee Jones assist me, and when I brought the gallon and paint card up, TLJ cheerily asks for confirmation that it's the finish and color I wanted before mixing.   Upon getting an affirmative, he didn't argue or try to talk me out of it at all, just mixed my paint for me.  :)

Another time a guy was pleasantly helping me find a piece of hardware I was looking for to complete a project (fixing a table, needed to replace a screw in 2 of the legs) and a woman came up and sneered, "You know we sell legs with the screws already in them! It would be easier!  Everyone's in here looking to fix stuff recently.  Why don't they just buy new stuff?"  ::)   Well cause with the economy being what it is, it's cheaper to buy a few screws than it is a brand new table and why complain when it's bringing the store business, ye dingbat?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jocelyn

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 12:56:33 PM »
I am reminded of the time a friend purchased a grill. Several hours later she called and said, 'So the instructions say 'With your helper supporting the weight of the lid...' and I actually started searching through the parts for the 'helper' when I realized what they meant.'  ;D So there might be some sense in telling a customer '"you're going to need someone to help you support the weight of things as you put them together', but if the woman can hoist the box and carry it out of the store, it's probably not going to require Burly Bob to help her put it together.

I'm always tempted to ask, 'Just what part of this task would require the anatomy I do not possess?'