Author Topic: Helped out by Rail staff  (Read 874 times)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
Helped out by Rail staff
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »
This may be a bit disjointed thanks to flu, but it's the first day I've been up to writing it up. I did want to say thank you to one of the Southern Rail staff members last weekend.

My travel pass is in two halves, a photocard and a travel card. When I checked it on arriving at a station last weekend the holder had fallen apart, leaving me without the travelcard section, trapped at the station with no way to get through the barriers or back on a train.

We spoke to a staff member to try to buy a ticket that could get me home. I was worried about a fine since I honestly didn't know where the card was. DH explained what had happened, since I wasn't doing very well (I was ill, flu-ey, muddle-headed etc. and just wanted to get home). The gentleman checked the records and confirmed I did own a valid card for the journey, so he waived the fine. He couldn't issue me a replacement, so instead issued a discounted day travelcard and a letter confirming my photocard was valid to use with it, which let me finish the journey without problems. Typically we found my own card at my home station.

The only thing he asked was that I tell ten people that they'd helped me out, since everyone always tells people bad things about trains and not the good. Since I'm still housebound, I'm posting it on here.
Pet Hatchery | My books
Killgrace stories - Webserial current date: 3rd October 1929

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Helped out by Rail staff
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »
I hope you are feeling better.

While I only took the train once when I was in the US (Williamsburg to DC), I couldn't have had a better experience: employees were helpful and efficient, everything was neat and clean and the journey was pleasant.