News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 07:28:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: If you had a can of hominy, what would you do with it?  (Read 4966 times)

magicdomino

Re: If you had a can of hominy, what would you do with it?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 06:27:03 PM »
Thirding pozole.  I make it from leftover roast pork, especially if it is a cut with a bone in it.

Lurkergirl

• http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59628
    • I write about my life with chronic pain
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »
We have 2 ways we use it.  I prefer mine.  I make a batch of Green Chili and add it to that.  Or my husband likes to boil it up on the stove with butter salt and pepper and make breakfast sausage with it.  So they will all eat hominy with sausage on the side.  I am one of the ones who doesn't like the bland taste of it alone.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
That's hilarious, Monkey Mama.  It does kind of look like canned teeth, but it doesn't taste like it.  The poster who said corn tortillas is closer to the truth :)

kareng57

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »
Out of curiosity I once ordered hominy-grits as a side dish for breakfast while travelling in the US.  Blecchh.

Of course there are a lot of other things you can do with hominy but I agree with some PPs - it might be better to donate it to the food bank rather than opening it and tossing it after deciding that you don't like it.  These things do happen.  Dh hates maple-flavoured bacon but is always buying it by mistake.  Naturally no one ever notices it till it's opened and we smell the maple while it's frying, and there's nothing that can be done about it by then.

caroled

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 04:02:27 PM »
 As a GRITS girl, ( girl raised in the south   ;)) I never did like hominy growing up. I may have to give it another try in the form of pozole.... sounds fantastic!

As for those of you who have mentioned it looking like corn, tasting like corn tortillas and referencing grits, here's why.

Hominy is made from corn, either yellow corn or white corn. Corn is dried, and then soaked in a lye/water solution.It is perfectly safe to eat as it has been soaked and washed thouroughly and then cooked and canned.
 During the soaking the kernels swell and give the hominy its appearance, and yes they do look like big teeth ;D.

If after being made into hominy , it is dried for a second time and then ground, the ensueing result is hominy grits.

And I would have suggested a food drive donation as well.

Animala

• Rowr!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »
As a GRITS girl, ( girl raised in the south   ;)) I never did like hominy growing up.

I adore grits and really it all depends on how you cook it.  I love them but I never order them in a restaurant they always bring out some thin white stuff that resembles cream of rice or something.  I was taught if a fork doesn't stand up in the pan then they aren't done yet.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
You guys are really making me want grits, which is a sad sad craving to have in Chicago.  So who's flying up to make me a bowl?  :D

caroled

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 04:22:46 AM »
Say it isn't so.... You are this close to me ( Indianapolis) and you can't get grits???

We need to do something about that! ;D

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 07:07:31 AM »
Well, we can get grits - but they're just not good southern grits.