Author Topic: Kid Friendly dish  (Read 2964 times)

djinnidjream

Kid Friendly dish
« on: December 24, 2006, 08:58:05 AM »
The day after Christmas, I am getting together with my Sister and our cousins so all of our kids can get together.  We are chipping in for a sub or pizza and we need to bring a kid friendly dish to pass.  I blame my pregnancy addle-brain, but I'm drawing a blank.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

xbsgirl3

Re: Kid Friendly dish
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 09:26:18 AM »
Pigs in a blanket??

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 10:33:56 AM »
This varies so much by age and temperment that it's hard to answer.  In the last two years, my boys' (9 and 11) tastes changed dramatically.  They'll eat a wide variety of things -- on the other hand, their friend will eat nothing but burgers and pizza.

Finger foods are good.  The pigs ina blanket suggestion is great.  Cut up fruit would be good to go with the sub or pizza.

I make BBQ "chicken nuggets" that are good too.  You can serve them with some sauces for dipping (depending on the children's ages!)  Take a packaged chicken breast and cut it into 3/4"x1 1/2" strips.  Crush a bag of BBQ potato chips into a coarse dust.  Beat an egg and dip the chicken strips into the egg.  Put the dipped strips and the crushed chips into a bag and shake until all the strips are coated.  (Both the crushing and shaking are good tasks for kids, even fairly small ones.)  Bake in a 350 degree oven until the chicken is cooked (I forget the time, but it's probably about 15 minutes.)

Sauces: BBQ, Bleu Cheese Dressing, mayo, mustard, ketchup
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 01:26:45 PM »
How about some ants on a log?

Celery filled with peanut butter and topped with a few raisons...

Other then that mac n cheese can be a huge hit!

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 02:56:56 PM »
Raw carrots and ranch, cheese slices, fruit, packs of fruit snacks...
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

willow2483

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:11:57 PM »
I second mac and cheese!  There are lots of easy recipes for it too, if you want to put more effort into it than required by Kraft.  I used to love the kind in the box with hot dogs cut up in it (Polka Dots!).  Pigs in a blanket are good too, or maybe find an easy baked ziti recipe, but inside of ziti, use a fun shaped pasta (there's some kind that looks like little flowers, but I can't remember what it's called).

djinnidjream

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 09:04:49 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier, but I made  "fruit salad".  All that is is two cans of canned fruit mixed with Cool-Whip (the flavored ones make it taste even better, except chocolate).  Went over well!
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey