Author Topic: Police officer responds to a breaking & entering...  (Read 1832 times)

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Police officer responds to a breaking & entering...
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
... but it turns into something sweet.  I'm going to rate it a two tissue article, possibly more.

http://www.pantagraph.com/app/blogs/main/?p=5426

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
Re: Police officer responds to a breaking & entering...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:15:06 PM »
Im glad it turned out but the cynic in me still would have liked a line about verifying the information.  Not to cozy with the notion that if in uniform a cop will take you at your word that you belong somewhere.

I think i am a bad bad person.

pinkunicorn

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:02:38 PM »
Maybe he did, but it's not really a news-worthy line. Or maybe the cop realized the soldier was telling the truth when he asked him to call his mom. :)

That is a way-cool story, though! I think it actually turned into an even better surprise than the soldier had planned for.
Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out!

kitty-cat

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »
I heard this on my way to campus this morning on the local radio station.

Thank goodness I'm not diabetic, I would have gone into a coma from the sweetness.

NE Florida

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:32:51 PM »
Im glad it turned out but the cynic in me still would have liked a line about verifying the information.  Not to cozy with the notion that if in uniform a cop will take you at your word that you belong somewhere.

I think i am a bad bad person.

It's not like the officer helped the kid break into the house. For all we know, the kid showed the officer his license, which listed the correct address. (Then again, his parents could have done what my grandparents did... they moved across town while my Dad was overseas and didn't tell him - really confused him when he came home on leave, and they didn't go the way he was expecting them to go when they left the airport!)

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

Ereine

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:05:25 AM »
I'm probably a horrible person but all I could think was that it's kind of cruel to make the mother worry that something was wrong with her house. Wouldn't have showing up at home be a nice surprise enough, without breaking in and involving the police? (I don't really like surprises or practical jokes though)

NestHolder

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:50:36 AM »
It is a sweet story (and I notice that the cop very cleverly kept the young man in place until he could confirm his story), but Iam I a bad person for wondering how it would have worked out if the soldier had been black?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
It is a sweet story (and I notice that the cop very cleverly kept the young man in place until he could confirm his story), but Iam I a bad person for wondering how it would have worked out if the soldier had been black?

Well, it's not a *nice* thought, is it? Kind of assuming the policeman involved was racist without any evidence to the fact, right?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

NestHolder

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »

Well, it's not a *nice* thought, is it? Kind of assuming the policeman involved was racist without any evidence to the fact, right?

Indeed it isn't a nice thought.  But is it completely unrealistic?  This individual police officer may be able to assess situations without allowing any prejudice into his thoughts, but how many of us can do that?