Author Topic: Clean your house! The support thread.  (Read 28138 times)

Namárië

Clean your house! The support thread.
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »
Ok, I know I am not the only one on here suffering from CHAOS syndrome (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). I am a terrible housekeeper, and I am not afraid to admit it (in a forum where I am anonymous :P). 

But now I am slowwwwwly cleaning my Pit of Chaos apartment, and I thought that if anyone else is feeling similarly motivated (or would like some motivation), we could cheer each other on until we reach the goal of being able to have people over without embarrassment—reciprocal hosting at last! The Etiquette Gods will be pleased.

So this morning, I cleaned out the litterboxes, and then wiped down my bathroom quickly. What did you do today? What are you planning on doing? Do you have any good organization/declutter resources?
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
Re: Clean your house! The support thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »
Okay, over the past 3 day weekend and 4 large trash bags of clothes later, I did get my cave of doom, er closet cleaned out and organized.  I also started to tackle the spare room as I want to convert it to an office/reading room. This is still a work in progress but I can see 90% of the floor now!!

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:14 PM »
I filled tossed a bag of stuff/trash that was taking up space in the laundry room.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »
My Big Plan is that next week I will start cleaning out my storage rooms in the basement.  In the meantime if I manage to get my LR vacuumed today (like I set out to do about 4 hours ago) - I'll be happy!!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 02:12:33 PM »
Just did three loads of laundry. Did you know the hamper has a bottom in it?
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
This week I'm going to clean out my jewelry cabinet. 

I organized about half of it into some pretty containers I bought on vacation and the other half is shoved in this drawered cabinet I got years ago at target with some cute jewelry holders sitting on top.  I want to go through it and get rid of the stuff I don't use or recycle it so I can make different jewelry out of it.  Then organize the drawers into some sense of logic so its easy to find things. 
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »
I have a bunch of books I want to sell to Half Price Books that I need to take in.  This weekend, I'm planning on re-organizing The Room...getting stuff into file folders to put in a filing cabinet, putting craft supplies in rubbermaid bins, getting a folding table in there to replace the desk etc. 

As for what I did recently, I put away all the clean pots and pans that were piling up on the countertop.  Now I've remembered why I was okay with letting them sit there; I hate the color of my countertops!  :P

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 02:34:44 PM »
Sunday I tackled the small storage room in the basement.  I got all my sewing stuff loosely sorted (the fabric is in boxes marked "fabric" and will eventually be sorted by type and a lot of it gotten rid of.) I donated several boxes of books a few weeks ago - a friend of my sister's is trying to start a used book store - and I got the remaining books on the shelves.

The main floor of my house is in pretty good shape but 2 Saturdays from now I've scheduled my Fall Cleaning where I move all the furniture and take up the rugs and deep-clean everything. I should rent a rug shampooer soon for the upstairs too.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Namárië

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 03:21:12 PM »
All right! We a regular cleaning machines! :D

:D I learned that on Sunday!
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Melxb

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »
I'm planning on organizing my closet this weekend.  I am a bad bad shoe owner.  I wear shoes and then throw them in my closet.  The pile of shoes in my closet is literally 2 feet high.  :o  This weekend, even if it takes me all weekend, I am going to throw out any clothes that are old/stained/do not fit/I do not like anymore and ditto for the shoes.  Plus, I'm going to ORGANIZE my shoes.  I tend to use the same pairs over and over again and I KNOW that I have so many more pairs that I can use.

Baby steps here.  Just baby steps.

Next:  The tupperware cabinet in the kitchen. Again.... :o

Everlee

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »
After my last rummage sale a couple weeks ago I said screw it, I'm sick of keeping stuff for rummages and donated about two car loads worth of stuff to a church rummage.  I kept all the books and took them to my local used bookstore and got rid of over half of them.  Over $40 worth of credit came my way.   ;D
I also cleaned my kitchen counter a couple days ago.  I was so proud of it that I took a picture to send to the husband.
He gets home from his work trip Saturday so I am planning a major house cleaning between now and then that I am NOT looking forward to...

Namárië

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
I'm planning on organizing my closet this weekend.  I am a bad bad shoe owner.  I wear shoes and then throw them in my closet.  The pile of shoes in my closet is literally 2 feet high.  :o  This weekend, even if it takes me all weekend, I am going to throw out any clothes that are old/stained/do not fit/I do not like anymore and ditto for the shoes.  Plus, I'm going to ORGANIZE my shoes.  I tend to use the same pairs over and over again and I KNOW that I have so many more pairs that I can use.

If you have lots of boots and hanging space, check out these: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10000125&N=&Ntt=boot I just ordered some, and I am going to hang them above my monstrously tall shoe sorter shelf.
Competence is a trap!

workingmum

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »
I've been in my apartment for 5 weeks now - moved from a 4 bed 2 bath house to a 2 bed apartment. I really need to organise the linen cupboard so i can get the bags of curtains and linens in the laundry put away so i can get into the laundry to put shelving in so i can get rid of the rest of the boxes out of my and DD's bedrooms... ugh! Sounds like a  horridly big job when i put it that way  :o
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »

LOL!  When I have more than 3 loads to do, I call the whole mess "Mount Wash-more"
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »
Just posting here to see everyone else's efforts. You guys are awesome!

I should be grocery shopping right now. And then I should clean my fridge so I can fit the groceries in it. And the cupboards... and the counters.... ::sigh:: It is easier to read about someone else's cleaning binge than start my own. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.