Author Topic: Clean your house! The support thread.  (Read 28453 times)

Mazdoy

Re: Clean your house! The support thread.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
My house has been one big clutter mess since the baby arrived but today I managed to clean out a cupboard in the kitchen!  Woo hoo!!  Now to tackle the wardrobes (and everything else!).

veryfluffy

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 05:51:07 PM »
I cleaned the fridge today. Threw out a load of expired stuff (half a jar of mincemeat left from last christmas!), washed and disinfected every bit. But it's terribly uneconomical to do this: I keep opening the fridge and just stand there gazing inside at how shiny and clean it all is!

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »
This is on my list for when I finally start feeling good from this surgery that was supposed to make me feel better.  Im going to put everything away from our move (we've lived here for five years) and find a place for everything, and if there isn't a place, I'll make one or get rid of it.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »
Plus, I'm going to ORGANIZE my shoes.  I tend to use the same pairs over and over again and I KNOW that I have so many more pairs that I can use.

One of my friends has DOZENS of the clear plastic containers that are shoe box sized. She has a few shelves in her closet devoted to these boxes... and each box is labeled with masking tape and a sharpie (ex. 'black kitten heel,' '4" red peeptoe heels,' 'black kitty flats,' etc.)

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »
I was the one who wrote a post about cleaning house, and this is as good a place as any to chime in about the last 24 hours:

*Cat boxes cleaned, scrubbed, and changed out
*Living room/dining room/hallway bare of stuff, vacuumed, ready for the carpet cleaners
*Kitchen cleaned
*All dishes collected from around apartment and run through dishwasher
*Last load of laundry is in the dryer
*Six bags and two tubs of recycling delivered to the recycling plant

That leaves just the bedrooms (which aren't too bad), two bathrooms, and the washer/dryer nook to clean   ;D ;D :D.  I CAN do this!

gui
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:20:57 PM by guihong »

Cutenoob

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »
Well, last night I used Comet to clean the @#$%^% coffee stain off the counter top.

Our counters here in the apartment are super chintzy.  They will absorb any color and stain easily, and will not let those stains go. :(.  The coffee machine is DH's baby, and he gets coffee crud all over the counter, below the machine, next to sink..you get idea.

Now there is no coffee crud on the counter top.  Say THAT 3 times fast.

I also put away all the dishes, got the next dishload started and have tidied up the counter/kitchen area.

Oh:  for hampers, I bought this one:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TFKMJA/ref=oss_product
It has 3 compartments, fits in a nook in our hallway, has sturdy bags...I love it!!!
But I had to put signs up on Darks Go Here and Whites Go There for DH.  *shakes head*   Can't win them all, I guess.

Dorrie78

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 09:01:55 PM »
I confirmed with my local library tonight that they happily accept book donations - I've got two huge boxes full of books to donate and many more books to go. I'm trying to clear off an old, ugly book shelf that would actually be perfect to hide in a closet and store shoes. I will be so much happier when I clear out at least half of my books. I have a long way to go.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »
We've been gathering items for a garage sale this weekend.  With everything we've had going on, our advertising is pretty much going to consist of Facebook announcement(s) and a couple of signs on the corner and our lawn.  Once that's done, we'll decide what gets kept for a proper garage sale in the spring, and what's going to Goodwill or Purple Heart next chance we get.  I think things will look a lot better once we've got the boxes of stuff out of here!  I hate to think how much we've probably spent hauling some of this stuff through the last few moves!  When we came out here, we took up a full sized truck.  When we move next (whenever that is), I want it to be a smaller moving van.  Four people should not have THAT MUCH STUFF.

blueberrypancakes

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »
threw out 3 large bags of "stuff".   Currently going through mounds of laundry and will have a nice pile going for donations.  Tomorrow - The bird cages, litterbox, and hermie tank get cleaned, and I'll get started on the inside and outside fridges.

Watching several episodes of Hoarders was extremely motivational, I must say.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 05:47:03 AM »
today i reorganized the dishes in the sink, rinsed everything, threw out the gunk, wiped down the sink. DS will do the dishes today. I also removed all the clutter from the "table" (more like a folding shelf; it is meant to be a little table but there is no room to actually sit in our kitchen, so i use it as a counter) and wiped down the table. that's all i had time to do before leaving for work.

I watched some of the "hoarders" yesterday and it made me want to clean my entire house. and take three showers. really sad.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Coralreef

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »
I highly recommend the book "Clutter's last stand" by Don Aslett.  It's my de-junking guide.  It's well written, humorous and it makes you think WHY you keep what you keep. 

For the coming weekend, I want to clean up the flowerbeds of weeds (maybe 20 minutes, I only have a small one), vaccum, clean the bird cages.  I live alone and pick up as I go, so cleaning day is short and sweet.

[/right

Mini

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »
Since Monday I shampooed half my dining room carpet -- only half since I had to stop and wait for it to dry, then had some errands to run yesterday that prevented me from getting to the rest of it.
Got rid of 6 boxes of books ( thought it would bother me a bit more than it is but I'm okay with it)
Organized 2 of the bookcases
Cleaned my utility room
Got rid of 1 bag of hubby's clothes (that bothered me a lot more than the books!)
A bag of his diabetes supplies (went to my fil)
Filled a garbage can with junk that was laying around
and finally finished my thank you cards from his visitation  and funeral! 
My Mantra for the month:
When bored and suffering from insomnia stay away from eBay stay away from eBay stay away from eBay.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »
We've been slowly but surely cleaning out our apartment of all of the "stuff" we don't need (I figure if we haven't used something after the 3 years we've been there, we probably don't need it!) and creating better storage spaces for the stuff we do need.  The new rule is that everything has to have "someplace to live" and WOW cleaning is so much easier when you don't have to think about "ok where does this go?" 

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »
Well, last night I used Comet to clean the @#$%^% coffee stain off the counter top.

Our counters here in the apartment are super chintzy.  They will absorb any color and stain easily, and will not let those stains go. :(.  The coffee machine is DH's baby, and he gets coffee crud all over the counter, below the machine, next to sink..you get idea.

I had a similar problem.  Could you keep the coffe maker on a tray that would contain coffee crud?  A tray might be easier to keep & get clean than laminate counter tops.  (When I make Kool Aid I put a tray under the pitcher to keep the tile counter from getting stained red)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:01:57 AM by HeebyJeebyLeebee »
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
that vacuuming I was going to do yesterday?  Going to do it NOW, right after I throw in a load of laundry.

Everyone else seems to be making great progress!  Woohoo!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~