Author Topic: Clean your house! The support thread.  (Read 28443 times)

Namárië

Re: Clean your house! The support thread.
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »
Yeah! We are awesome!!

I meant to do a lot more last night than I actually did... but I finished all of my laundry! All my clothes are clean! AND I have extra hangers! (Due to the sizable pile of clothes to be donated!)

I also wiped down all the surfaces in my bedroom... they were really grotty. Yuck!

Today I am going to vacuum everywhere and hopefully clean up some of my paper mess in the entryway and dish mess in the kitchen before my boyfriend comes over!

Just thinking about how much I've gotten done since last Friday makes me really happy. Even if I was lazy and started with the most fun thing—redecorating my Christmas Summer Tree into an Autumn Tree!

Also, MDefarge, your plan of "everything has to have someplace to live" reminds me of a great book on organization/decluttering that I need to read again—Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern. She's really big on that, and also having "zones" for each activity performed in a room—makes sense!
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
Last night, I sorted the dirty clothes basket into multiple baskets...but now instead of one giant heap, its "delicates", "jeans", and "regular" (I don't usually seperate colors from whites, unless I'm going to be bleaching or something's really new).

I also went outside with DH, and picked up the backyard. After feeding the dogs and refilling their water bowl, went around picking up shredded plastic bags, from nights we don't get home until its too dark to go out there to feed them, and throw bags of food out the window to them (they think its a great game >:D). Oh, and replaced my Oreo's tether with a new, longer, and heavier duty one. My 60 lb dog broke a 150 lb-rated tether...the new one is rated 250 lbs. Now, she has access to roughly 97% of the backyard, she gets stopped just short of the fence that she has a tendency to dig out from under.

Today is probably a wash, because I have to go pick out a new cell phone (current one broke) and have childbirth class tonight. Tomorrow, I promised DH that I'd take his truck for an oil change.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »
I cleaned out one of my kitchen storage closets of excess baking pans. I think they must multiply in there.

I also have been cleaning out my pantry of old food. Funny how things get pushed to the back....

Weeding out my closet and my kids rooms is next. I spent last week cleaning the house. I messed my back up something horrible last night so I'm taking it easy. Thank God for dishwashers.

I cleaned out my bathroom last week and threw out a bunch of stuff that I never use (hair rollers).

I've been trying to clear off my kitchen counters and dining room table of clutter every night.

Today at the store, I am going to buy some small baskets for the kids to put their mp3 players and phones. That way we dont have "Where's my ____" every morning. Put your stuff in the basket!

I'm going to have my DH put some hooks in the hallway for their backpacks. Right now they just sort of put it whereever.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Amava

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 11:47:08 AM »
I had thought to clean a lot today, but I'm so tired from running around for my business that I don't have much energy left.

HOWEVER! Thanks to this thread, I am going to do at least one thing. I don't know what yet - I'm cooking dinner currently and after that, I'll see, but I AM going to do at least one thing. Under the motto: one thing is better than nothing.

I'll let you all know later what I chose!  ;D

Cutenoob

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 12:06:36 PM »
Well, last night I used Comet to clean the @#$%^% coffee stain off the counter top.

Our counters here in the apartment are super chintzy.  They will absorb any color and stain easily, and will not let those stains go. :(.  The coffee machine is DH's baby, and he gets coffee crud all over the counter, below the machine, next to sink..you get idea.

I had a similar problem.  Could you keep the coffe maker on a tray that would contain coffee crud?  A tray might be easier to keep & get clean than laminate counter tops.  (When I make Kool Aid I put a tray under the pitcher to keep the tile counter from getting stained red)

I could try this.  I might have to rearrange some things, since our countertop is horridly small.  But that's a good idea.  Why can't I just tell honey to clean up after himself?  ;)

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »

Also, MDefarge, your plan of "everything has to have someplace to live" reminds me of a great book on organization/decluttering that I need to read again—Organizing from the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern. She's really big on that, and also having "zones" for each activity performed in a room—makes sense!

Ohh, I'll have to look into it.  I've been reading this one -The Complete Idiot's Guide to Organizing Your Life and have found it really helpful! http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Organizing-Your/dp/1592579663/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284571574&sr=8-1

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »
Well, last night I used Comet to clean the @#$%^% coffee stain off the counter top.

Our counters here in the apartment are super chintzy.  They will absorb any color and stain easily, and will not let those stains go. :(.  The coffee machine is DH's baby, and he gets coffee crud all over the counter, below the machine, next to sink..you get idea.

I had a similar problem.  Could you keep the coffe maker on a tray that would contain coffee crud?  A tray might be easier to keep & get clean than laminate counter tops.  (When I make Kool Aid I put a tray under the pitcher to keep the tile counter from getting stained red)

I could try this.  I might have to rearrange some things, since our countertop is horridly small.  But that's a good idea.  Why can't I just tell honey to clean up after himself?  ;)

LOL!  Cause you already know he won't.  I have the same problem with Sweet Pattootie & his morning cereal - he gets sugar EVERYWHERE!! 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »
My goal for the next couple of weeks is to get the kids' "hang out" room cleaned out.  It's a crowded mess, and we're having a big party in about a month and I just can't see fitting all of their friends in there like it is. 

Now that I'm sitting here typing, maybe I should switch that room with my work space, which might work better for the party.  Hmm...

I'll post when I know what I'm going to do.

Amava

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
I ended up decluttering the hallway and vacuuming!

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 07:14:20 PM »
I don't have a whole lot of house to keep clean; mainly I just have to keep up with the dishes and the laundry, and vacuum and clean every once in a while.

Today I did a load of dishes.

Tonight, before DH gets home from class I am going to do another load of dishes, sweep and mop the kitchen, and clean the stove top. And throw on one load of laundry so we have clean clothes since I'm going to be out of the house most of tomorrow.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:06 PM »
From some of the PPs, I'm gathering some of y'all have already heard of FlyLady.  But for those who haven't, she's a really awesome way to get your clutter and your life in order.

Today I'm doing a big load of dishes and unloading them when they're done, something I struggle with!  I need to take a few 15 minute sessions to do the floors and clear off my dresser, which still has a bunch of Stuff on it from a recent trip.

snowfire

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »
Raked up a bunch of fallen apples from the yard so that DH can mow it. (I did the front yard mowing yesterday).  I then took two grocery sacks of the apples down to the folks to do black bear rehabilitation.

Over the last week:  Totally cleaned out our fridge so that we could get the new one in place.  The old one went up to our cabin to replace the 1972 vintage avocado green one.

Cleaned the oven/stove thoroughly.  The new one is sitting in our breakfast nook waiting for us to do the swap.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 01:03:12 AM »
Well, I swept and mopped the kitchen, and started the laundry (washed but not dried), but that's about it.

I meant to do another load of dishes, but I had put a plastic container in there that had had old food in it (old enough that some here would have tossed it, but these are $5 containers and I can't afford to toss too many), and well, I ended up throwing it out anyway and rewashing that load.

Now it all has to be put off until Friday because I'll be out of the house almost the entire day tomorrow. My goal is to be up around 9:30 tomorrow (we keep late hours due to DH's work schedule), do a 10 minute workout video, shower, dress, and cook lunch by 12:30-ish when DH gets home. And unload/load the dishwasher. Then I have to get groceries, and I'm going to try this new thing, real novel idea: putting the groceries away as soon as I get home.  :o

I know those seem like odd things to include but I've been struggling with depression and just getting showered and dressed seem like chores some days! If I'm up and dressed and cooking when DH gets home from school I consider that a good day.

LOL I guess I'm including organizing and improving myself, too. I do find that when I'm succeeding in one area (cleaning, weight loss, etc) everything else tends to fall into place. So for me, getting up and exercising is part of my grand plan to keep the house clean.

I'm not sure that made much sense....

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 08:55:05 AM »
Dishes last night and I'm on my third load of laundry since yesterday morning.  I'm trying to get into a routine where I start a load to wash before work, switch it to the dryer after work, start a 2nd load to wash then throw that one in the dryer before bed.  I did that yesterday.  This morning I started a third load but now I have 2 clean loads sitting on my bed waiting to get put away. *sigh* I know what I'm doing tonight when I get home...
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Coralreef

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »

LOL I guess I'm including organizing and improving myself, too. I do find that when I'm succeeding in one area (cleaning, weight loss, etc) everything else tends to fall into place. So for me, getting up and exercising is part of my grand plan to keep the house clean.

I'm not sure that made much sense....
It makes perfect sense to me.  I don't need much sleep most of the time, so early in the morning (6am) I go take a walk with the furballs called dogs for about an hour.  When I get back home, I'm ready to start my day because I've removed the cobwebs from my brain and I'm not tense.  I guess the outside air does the trick for me. 
Game plan for tonight : vacuum floors and dusting after the doggies' walk. 

[/right