Author Topic: Clean your house! The support thread.  (Read 28356 times)

Weez

Re: Clean your house! The support thread.
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:44 AM »
Wow guys - you've all been really busy.  Hopefully some of your enthusiasm will rub off on me and motivate me to keep at it.  Although reading this thread has reminded me of some of the tasks that I've been meaning to get done...

However, today I have tidied the kitchen (after DH gave DS breakfast  ::)), done 2 loads of washing and emptied the dishwasher.  I've also been reading up on my new duties as I've just taken on the role of treasurer for a group DS is in.  Hopefully, before the end of today, I'll complete a list of tasks that need done for that group and I need to pick up some food essentials.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
I need lots of support today...

I wrenched my back out last weekend and Tuesday was just starting to feel better...then Tuesday night I had a small family emergency and had to do a bunch of literal running around....so now my back is messed up again.

I've been putting a heating pad and taking Advil. It feels a little better today. I have been forcing myself to get up and actually do something. My kitchen is a wreck from not getting straightened up Tuesday and yesterday was Grocery Shopping Day sooooo...

Now I have to clean cause it's all piled up.

At least my laundry is caught up.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

whylime13

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »
For those who are on facebook, there is a 30 day 30 item challenge through the causes app:

http://www.causes.com/causes/524064?m=ffa8b0b1

The 30 days started yesterday, so its not too late to join.  I'm in and am looking forward to the end of the month when I can actually put things in and out of my closets.

There is a way to participate with this group if you are not on facebook, I just don't know what it is, or you could do a side by side challenge here on ehell.

Namárië

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »
ginlyn, I hope your back feels better soon! Go easy on yourself; a little cleaning is better than no cleaning!

Thanks for the link, whylime! lol, I think I can accomplish that in one day... I have a huge pile of clothing to donate from when I cleaned out my closet over the weekend.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
I am a horrible housekeeper.  I hate doing the dusting, vacuuming, window cleaning etc.

I'm good with laundry - it gets washed, dried, folded and put away the same day.  I'm OK with dishes that go in the dishwasher and it gets run and unpacked in decent time.  I'm not so good with things that need to be handwashed.  They sit on the counter until I either need them or I run out of space for more things.

Right now, the inside of the house is being neglected because I'm working on gardening outside of the house.  So the only time inside work gets done is if it is raining.

My plan once it is too cold to work in the garden:  Tackle one room in the house a week.  The kitchen may get two weeks, since the fridge needs to be cleaned out, too.  I do OK with throwing out food that has spoiled but it needs to be emptied and wiped down.  The bathrooms are small so I may try to do both of them in the one week.  Take stuff out of cupboards and drawers, go through it and throw out/recycle/give away/sell at the consignment store anything I haven't used in the last year.  Once every room has been tackled, HIRE someone to come in and clean for me once a month or so.  I'll have to keep the house tidy so they have the room to actually clean.

I could totally see myself becoming a hoarder if I don't keep on top of it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »
I am a horrible housekeeper.  I hate doing the dusting, vacuuming, window cleaning etc.

I'm good with laundry - it gets washed, dried, folded and put away the same day.  I'm OK with dishes that go in the dishwasher and it gets run and unpacked in decent time.  I'm not so good with things that need to be handwashed.  They sit on the counter until I either need them or I run out of space for more things.

Hey, are you me?  This is how I am.  And to add to it, we just listed our house for sale, so we've spent the last three weeks decluttering, staging, etc.  A friend was kind enough to lend us a spot in her basement to store things.  I will say that, now that we have so much less in the house, I'm finding it much easier to keep on top of things.  On the other hand, the kids don't have access to a lot of their toys (thank goodness school's back in session, so we're not trying to find things to do all day, just after nap!).

I will reread this thread for encouragement as I attempt to keep the house "show-worthy." 

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 04:28:36 PM »
This past summer, DH and I agreed that our 22 y.o. sofa and the two huge matching chairs were officially dead. He used a circular saw on the sofa.  ;D We loaded the wood pieces and the yucky foam cushions into the lawn tractor cart. He drove the 2 loads of dead furniture to the burning pile in the back of our property and cremated it. (insert evil laugh here)

I've been so looking forward to that furniture going bye-bye!

Since then I've been very slowly going through things (clutter piles and boxes of paper that I didn't know what else to do with because I was in a hurry at the time I filled the boxes).

The past couple of weeks I've been making a list of 10-12 little things that have been bugging me the most. Then on the weekend, I do them as quickly as possible. If I do anything else during the weekend, I write it at the bottom of the list. It makes for a good record that I've actually been accomplishing some things. 

Coralreef

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 04:31:32 PM »
The past couple of weeks I've been making a list of 10-12 little things that have been bugging me the most. Then on the weekend, I do them as quickly as possible. If I do anything else during the weekend, I write it at the bottom of the list. It makes for a good record that I've actually been accomplishing some things. 
I like the list idea.  It seems like a good way to prevent running around and asking myself what I'm forgetting to do.   ;)

[/right

Amava

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »
I continued vaccuuming today. I did the stairs and the whole first floor!
I also cleaned some windows, the bathroom counter & sink, and some mirrors.

Weez

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »
I like the list idea.  It seems like a good way to prevent running around and asking myself what I'm forgetting to do.   ;)

The only problem is when you spend so much time adding everything you can think of to the list that you run out of time or motivation to actually do any of them.  Not that I've ever done that.   :P

desireesgranny

• www.TickerFactory.com
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »
I finally gave away 4 bags of clothing that were cluttering up my house. And I still have bags and bags to go.  :-[

I am proud of myself for actually getting rid of them because I usually hem and haw about getting old clothing out of here. It's like I think somebody is going to wear them again when they've been in the basement for years.

I also think that watching "Hoarders" was an impetus to getting those bags out of here.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »
That's why I try <sigh> to keep the list to the 10-12 most irritating ones. It is really hard not to get carried away. But I thought if those 10 or so get done, Yea!. (I swear that I hear "Nyah, nyah!" from some of those irritants......there is this box of whoknowswhat that has been setting near the laundry room door since whoknowswhen. It's been saying neenerneenerneener to me for a long time. It will be the only thing on my clutter list for this coming weekend. )

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 07:47:48 AM »
Today, my goal is laundry and dishes, at least one load of each. I got one load of laundry done yesterday, and took DH's truck for an oil change. With only 2 people creating stuff to wash, it takes a little while to build up enough to be "worth doing" (some days, we end up with only 1 dirty cup and a couple of dirty forks, LOL...those are usually take-out days though).

My other main goal for today is to find somewhere for my mom to sleep. She came to visit, expecting to sleep on her air mattress while here (guest room got converted to nursery...no bed, just a crib)...air mattress won't hold air. I don't feel right about my 53 yr old mother sleeping on the couch...granted, its a comfy couch, but making her sleep there just feels wrong (only other bed is mine & DH's). I gotta either find a cot or a new air mattress for her. This is today's serious mission.

Syfygeek

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »
I am so excited about this thread.  My DS moved out 2 weeks ago, and I've slowly found myself cleaning- it's so much easier when I can crank up the music (and not hear him complain).

I'm turning his room into a laundry center/exercise room.  I'm bad about piling clothes on top of the dryer instead of putting them away.  Then they get wrinkled, fall off, etc. and I have to wash them again. I have a folding table I'm putting in his room to put clothes on then fold and hang.  I'm also moving half my clothes into that closet.

He left his shelving unit, so I'm going to take all the books out of the linen closet and put them on the shelves, so I can see what I have and start paring down. And actually have a place for towels and linens.

I plan to do this this weekend, wish me luck, and I'll let you know how it goes.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Namárië

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
I didn't do any cleaning yesterday or today.  :-[ My kitchen is a giant, slobbery mess, and I know I am going to be grumpy with myself on Monday when I come back.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com