Author Topic: Clean your house! The support thread.  (Read 28967 times)

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
Re: Clean your house! The support thread.
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »
I didn't get any cleaning done yesterday, either, but for a very good reason: I wasn't home!

I woke up, made lunch/dinner, showered, dressed, drove DH to work, and went to the grocery store.

Then I came home, relaxed for about half an hour, took the dog out, picked up friend 1, picked up friend 2, and drove 20 miles to the next town for a fiber arts meeting (we were learning the pattern for Viking apron dresses for our next SCA event). Then we all had to pile in the car and go to Walmart to look at the beads and get a lesson in how to make a proper looks-like-looting-and-rampage Viking necklace, then I had to drive my friends *back* home, and by then it was time to go get DH from work!

This all happened from about noon-midnight, and by then I was sure as heck not doing housework!

Today I have to go *back* to the grocery store, and I need to do laundry and clean the kitchen as usual.

Tomorrow is a quiet day so I think I will devote myself to laundry and scrubbing my stove. It really needs it and I've been meaning to for ages now.

Coralreef

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »
Big, huge day today.  I don't work on Fridays, so I usually take some time to myself but this week I devoted to my house.
Vacuumed, cleaned air conditionner, washed floors, cleaned heating boards, 3 loads of laundry (dried, folded), dusted, cooked for a few lunches next week, walked the dogs (2 hrs total), sorted paperwork that was piled on coffee table, cleaned yard (front and back), went to hardware store for various sundry items, brushed the dogs, cleaned bird cages. Dishes should be done before I go to bed.  That list idea is fantastic... I just wanted to cross out whatever was on it!  ;) 

[/right

snowfire

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2010, 08:06:46 PM »
Not a super huge cleaning day, but a very successful one.  Pulled out our 20 year old stove & loaded it up in the truck to donate. (It still worked, but cannot get parts for it anymore.)  Cleaned the kitchen floor, including removing dust bunnies the size of gerbils from under the stove.  I think they were playing with the lost cat toys which had been batted under there.  :-\

New stove installed and hooked up.  DH is now at the grocery store & we're trying out the new stove in about 10 minutes.  :D

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »
My major accomplishment today was working on my office/The Room (said in ominous tones, naturally).  Took two bags of trash out of it, got my Beanie Babies corralled into a tub, got my craft supplies likewise in a tub, started putting things in stacks for eventual filing in the new filing cabinet and got all the big "stuff" moved out.  The mini-trampoline fits nicely elsewhere, the monitor is going to be recycled, and the drying rack will be smashed and tossed out.  There's actually floor space in there!  And carpet!  It was amazing how much we got done in an hour or so.  We also got everything in our sink washed and dried, though not everything's put away yet. 

As a treat for getting all that accomplished, I'm making a Guinness chocolate cake tomorrow, with Bailey's frosting.  Yum!

Cutenoob

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2010, 11:49:05 PM »
  I'm bad about piling clothes on top of the dryer instead of putting them away.  Then they get wrinkled, fall off, etc. and I have to wash them again.

You know you could toss wrinklies back into dryer with a wet washcloth and un-wrinkle them?

blueberrypancakes

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2010, 12:58:12 AM »
My major accomplishment today was working on my office/The Room (said in ominous tones, naturally).  Took two bags of trash out of it, got my Beanie Babies corralled into a tub, got my craft supplies likewise in a tub, started putting things in stacks for eventual filing in the new filing cabinet and got all the big "stuff" moved out.  The mini-trampoline fits nicely elsewhere, the monitor is going to be recycled, and the drying rack will be smashed and tossed out.  There's actually floor space in there!  And carpet!  It was amazing how much we got done in an hour or so.  We also got everything in our sink washed and dried, though not everything's put away yet. 

As a treat for getting all that accomplished, I'm making a Guinness chocolate cake tomorrow, with Bailey's frosting.  Yum!

......and is there a recipe somewhere for this cake? It sounds fabulous!!!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2010, 07:36:22 AM »

......and is there a recipe somewhere for this cake? It sounds fabulous!!!

http://nookandpantry.blogspot.com/2009/02/guinness-chocolate-cupcake-with-baileys.html

The directions for cooking a cake are down towards the end.  Making it as cupcakes is also tremendously delicious!

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »
This weekend has not been filled with cleaning and clutterbusting.

I got home from work Friday, changed from my lunchroom work clothes to regular at-home clothes, and washed the weeks worth of work clothes. They are still in the washing machine.

My to-do list has had nothing crossed out on it......at least not yet anyway.

However, yesterday, I got to babysit 2 of my grandchildren (OldestDD's&DSIL's). DD was invited to go up in MiddleDD's FIL's 3-seater airplane (he's a pilot). DD and the FIL flew around and around DD's property about 6 or 7 times. GrandsonCole(age 2) got such a kick out of seeing Mama and Uncle Steve* flying over head and waving the light colored hand towel. He was laughing so hard he couldn't wave it anymore and said "Gramma, you do it" and handed me the towel. When DD got home, she said that she got some great pictures(especially of Cole and Gramma on the ground).

*OldestDD's FIL and MiddleDD's FIL are brothers.

BowHuntress

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »
I folded several baskets of laundry and have more to go - Dryer just buzzed.
Got the living room cleaned yesterday and going to pick up the misc stuff that made its way there by a 4 dd today.
I've also done 2 sets of dishes. I am going to try and get my room picked up and swept.

Hopefully sometime this week i will get the dining room done which includes my desk - SCARY!!

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
Today DH did the dishes, so we only have a few little things left to wash before all are clean.  I swept and mopped the kitchen, vacuumed the carpets and rugs, cleaned the dining room, and am now working on this week's laundry.  It has been an awesome, awesome day. 

Now, to get the kids to clean up the toy room.  How long should I let it go before I just do it myself? ;)

Information_queen

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »
Well, I got the laundry done, but it's still sitting on the dryer. I hate that part.

I did my load of dishes yesterday and I worked on cleaning my stove. I ended up pouring some water over the stove top and letting it sit overnight, and then I was able to just wipe most of the nasty stuff off with a paper towel while I defrosted the meat in the microwave for lunch.

And I swept the entry way. I would have mopped, but it was a spontaneous decision about 15 minutes before my husband was due home and I didn't want him walking all over my clean floor  >:(

Today I am going to do dishes, wipe down all the counters, wipe down my stove, clean the bathroom, and sweep and mop the kitchen *again* because it got dirty again. I mean, more than it should have. There is dust on my floor; I think something *poofed* out of the trash can when I shoved all the trash down or something.

Earlier today DH sprayed down the moldy cabinet with bleach; hopefully I can use it again soon.

Tomorrow I need to straighten up the living room, vacuum, and clear off the table for our weekly DnD game.

finecabernet

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »
Love love this thread. I'm a horrendous slob and really need the support. Right now I'm staring at a scary bug terrified it's a cockroach (not sure, but it seems more round than pictures I've seen of cockroaches. I hope).

Got nothing cleaning wise done but did make dinner for the next several days (work during the day and at night, this is at least something).

snowfire

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2010, 09:41:28 PM »
Did one load of laundry last night and two today.  Had to throw the last set in the dryer rather than hang it out because I ran out of daylight and the last load is the bedsheets.

DH & I spent the whole day finishing hanging the drywall & mudding in our last bedroom.  I still have enough mudding to do to keep me entertained for a couple of days, but I'm seeing progress.  (I really want the room done and the honking huge roll of carpet out of my sewing room.)

Information_queen

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2010, 10:28:28 PM »
Well, I got the dishwasher loaded and run, and the counters on one side of the kitchen (the ones that are clear at the moment) and the stove wiped down. I got the bathroom clean and I just need to go put the rugs back down and put everything away.

I forgot I have something to do tonight so the rest can get done tomorrow. There was no hard deadline anyway so long as its finished by tomorrow evening. It's a good feeling knowing I can put off part of it and not feel overwhelmed with what's left to do.

MissRose

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »
Yesterday, I washed a sink full of dishes and have the crock pot soaking that will be washed after work today as it has crusted on chili - leftover was put into a freezer dish then put into a freezer for later eating.  The freshly washed dishes will be put away after work.

I have 1 box of books that I need to take to the local library as a donation.  I also have a large bin bag of clothes (mainly) that needs to be donated to a local thrift/charity shop as I've went through my closets and dresser (and need to sort through a bit more stuff before the box and bag are dropped off).

I then need to move my spring/summer clothes to back of closet as Fall weather is upon me where I live then move my sweaters/sweatshirts/fleeces where they can be accessed easier.

I also need to find my winter coat, hats, gloves, scarves & boots too.