Author Topic: Clean your house! The support thread.  (Read 28213 times)

Ambrosia Hino

Re: Clean your house! The support thread.
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2010, 06:57:03 AM »
I got a load of dishes run this weekend (don't have enough dirty to run again, since Friday night). My mom helped me run about 7 loads of laundry yesterday (I wasn't feeling good so she took care of swapping loads for a bit while I laid down). Dining room table is cleared off, and most of the kitchen counter as well.

Hopefully, I can get the kitchen & living room under control over the next few days.

I did find out that the freebie crib I was given, is under recall :( so I gotta come up with money for a new crib now. On top of my half-broken cell phone that needs to be replaced. Le sigh...when it rains, it pours.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2010, 08:12:46 AM »
I need some support today as I attempt to tackle my dresser top.  I stacked a whole bunch of stuff on it when I was unpacking after a trip and, um, haven't gotten back to it yet.  I'm determined to just set my timer and go at it after work today.  I'll report back with my progress!

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »
Yesterday my dh got the kids started on their hang out room.  They managed to clear out four bags of garbage from the room and closet.  I'm sorting through the books, a process that defeated me yesterday.  I'm of the opinion that if we have books no one is ever going to pick up then we should pass them on.  Dh seems to think that simply because a book got old, it has the potential to become valuable.  His "valuable" books aren't worth a plug nickel, if you know what I mean.  Intersting to read?  Sure.  Our retirement fund?  Not so much.

This week my big tasks are 1) sorting the books and 2) getting a slew of canning done.  One of the vendors at our farmer's market gave me a good deal on some apples, so apple butter this week!  (If I can get the kids to stop eating them out of hand.  We love a good apple in season.)

I'm also considering renting a small storage space for my business.  We have very little storage space in our house, and I have none at my business, and I have a lot of fixtures and displays that I need to hang onto but that won't always be in use.  Dh might like to have them out of the garage now that winter is closing in.

I think that today I'm going to tidy my bedroom, vacuum the carpet in there, and do the ironing.

Namárië

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »
Kenvee, you can do it!!!
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »
I had a major house cleaning this weekend.

Now, it wasn't too bad since we've only been in the house since June. But we still had so much stuff scattered around, in boxes, in places they didn't really belong, along with things like paint cans and tools sitting around. So I put everything that already had a place to go in its place, like the paint cans and tools in the garage, and my crafting supplies in my work room. I made DF hang some of the shelves and art on the walls, and I organized everything that I could. Then I did the actual cleaning..scrubbing floors, cleaning windows, dusting, doing dishes and laundry, and vacuuming. It took me most of Saturday to do it, but by 9:00 PM the house looked a lot better.

We've still got a lot in boxes (my books, mostly, because I have more books than bookcases), but at least it's more organized and looks more like home, now!

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
I started making a doll dress as a way to get rid of some of my smaller pieces of fabric.  That counts as cleaning, right?  >:D
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Weez

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
Okay, yesterday decluttered the bathroom, tidied out a cupboard and sorted DS's clothes, pulled out the clothes he's outgrown and unpacked all the clothes that he's grown into.  Some of his outgrown clothes have just been washed so once they're dry, I'll get them put into storage (keeping any aside that his little sister might get the good of!).

Today, I've done 2 loads of washing - had to hang them inside though as the rain came on just as the washing machine finished.  The joys of autumn in Scotland!

Still to be done: empty dishwasher; repack changing bag; tidy up clutter that's been abandoned at the top of the stairs; cook dinner.
Tomorrow: more washing (the joys of having a 2-year old and a 6-week old!). 

Thanks everyone, hearing what you've all achieved and what you've got planned is keeping me motivated.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »
This weekend got away from me but I did accomplish a few tasks.

I washed all my dishes in the sink.
Cleaned out two storage units with drawers to be used in my spare room/office
Started organizing said room.

The result was 2 boxes to be donated and 2 bags of garbage.

pwv

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:04 PM »
Last week I made a major monetary commitment to have my living/dining room carpeting replaced with wood flooring, so I now have two weeks to get rid of stuff.

I put out 6 bags of trash this morning, and already have ten or so boxes of stuff for a yard sale, which is scheduled for the weekend before the flooring guys come.

I have one bedroom/storage/blackhole which is piled with boxes of mystery items that I need to clean out and organize so I can move the contents of the living/dining room into it while the floor is being replaced.

EveLGenius

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
Thanks, everybody- this thread is keeping me motivated!

Over the weekend, I:
  -cleaned the hermit crab's cage
  -sorted two bags of kids' clothing to go to the resale store
  -boxed up some stuff to be mailed
  -cleaned the cat door leading to the basement (how that gets so dirty, I don't know)
  -organized half of the crawl space
  -put away tools in the garage
  -cleared off my desk
  -got 90% of the stuff on my dresser put away

I'd really like to give the linoleum a really good scrub, but I don't know when I'll find time for that.  I wonder if the carpet shampooer will work on linoleum?

MissRose

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »
I took the bag of clothes and stuff to my car.

I will take the box of books later to my car after I get some online work done.

After work tomorrow, I will stop by a charity shop and drop off the box & the bag.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »
I need some support today as I attempt to tackle my dresser top.  I stacked a whole bunch of stuff on it when I was unpacking after a trip and, um, haven't gotten back to it yet.  I'm determined to just set my timer and go at it after work today.  I'll report back with my progress!

Isn't it funny how we put things off for so long, then they're done in a snap as soon as we actually focus on doing it? :)  Success!

Now on to my desk... :D

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »
Over the weekend, I baked cupcakes to take to a family reunion. I had to clean Wally's kitchen before and after... On Sunday morning, the kitchen ended up looking like a bag of powdered sugar exploded in the kitchen. I wanted nothing to do with cleaning it (even though I made the mess) so I left it sit over night.

This morning before I left for class, I rinsed everything, loaded the dishwasher (with dishes that hadn't been done from weekend meals and my baking adventures), and started it... and gave the counters a good cleaning. Fortunately, I did all this before showering, as I would have needed another one after (cherry and powdered sugar on pj's = not a crisis, cherry and powdered sugar on white shirt being worn to class and work = crisis). 

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »
I finally got the living room clean and vacuumed and the dishwasher unloaded/loaded, some boxes of trash I'd put on the table disposed of, and the laundry folded and put away.

Unfortunately, the kids have made a mess of the living room again, the upstairs still desperately needs vacuuming, I need to take the trash out, I should run the dishwasher again, and I still haven't gotten much packing done.

Plus, I have a few boxes packed up, and I packed away some of the baby penguins' toys to try to control the mess a bit.  Unfortunately, LittlePenguin opened the boxes and got a bunch of toys out again, undoing all my careful work of sorting what would be packed now and what she could keep for a few more days.  Grr.

MissRose

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2010, 08:01:54 AM »
I am taking the bag of clothes after work today to the charity shop.

Tomorrow, the box of books goes to the local library 1 mile from me as they take donations for their book sales held several times a year.