Author Topic: Bus stop beandip again  (Read 4137 times)

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
Bus stop beandip again
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
I have look the for my post about this woman, but I cannot find it.  The beandip is still not working.

Background:  There is a mom at my kids' bus stop.  She and her DH do not work.  However, they are always getting the newest fad thing, while getting every state benefit there is.  Per earlier suggestions for you guys, this year I have been bringing an IPOD or book.  She will interrupt me to talk about things she wants.

Now, she wants to make sure her youngest get into Headstart so that he can learn what he needs to know before starting kinder.  I almost but my tongue all the way off to NOT tell her that since both parents are home all day that he should have no issues learning what he needs to know.  Is that okay to say?

rashea

• Super Hero!
Re: Bus stop beandip again
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:53:23 PM »
Nope, don't say it.

Just keep beandipping.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

drebay

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
That's what I thougt. 

whatsanenigma

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
Just because both parents are home, that doesn't necessarily mean the kid will learn what he needs to learn.

Some people pay more attention to their kids than other people do. And if she's always talking about getting these gadgets, maybe she's the type who supervises her kids in the sense of keeping them safe but not in the sense of interacting with them-maybe she's playing with the gadgets.

If the right kind of TV sh9w is on, the kid might pick some up from there, but we don't know what shows she has on the TV.

So, I wouldn't discourage her from the Head Start thing. If you have to talk with her, maybe this is even a good topic to get you away from the gadget talk.

drebay

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
I do understand that some parents are like that.  I believe that that is exactly how she is.  She justs wants Headstart because A) She doesn't have to pay for it, and B) she will then have no kids in the house for half a day.  This is not an assumption, but something she has stated directly to me.  That is why I was hoping that I could be just as direct back to her. 

LEMon

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
In my opinion ...
She'll never hear you.  You are just a warm body with a set of ears.  She doesn't want your opinion or even to hear you speak is my guess, she just wants to talk at you. 

Once I get that feeling and thought through my head, I get much better at beandipping and ignoring such folks.  Why listen and mess up my happy thoughts?

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
Please keep in mind that the child may be better off in Head Start.

pinkunicorn

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »
Please keep in mind that the child may be better off in Head Start.

POD. No matter what her motives are for putting her child in HS, it's an awesome program. And if the child is usually home all day, having no interaction with other kids and maybe minimal interaction with Mom and Dad, HS will definitely help him get ready for school, socially and academically.

Head Start is not just "free daycare". It's a hand up for children and their families. Head Start provides access to many programs that people don't realize are available to them. It helps parents learn how to be involved in their children's lives and to become better parents and better citizens.

Studies have shown that children who take part in Head Start and Early Head Start do better socially and academically, and families who have Head Start kids are often able to help themselves out of their extremely low-income situation. When I left HS, the program was looking at more ways to expand and accept median-income families as well.
Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out!

drebay

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »
Oh, I do understand the need for Headstart.  She would use it for free daycare, and so others can teach her child the basics.