News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 04, 2015, 09:57:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grr... When people keep you waiting...  (Read 6076 times)

TracyXJ

Re: Grr... When people keep you waiting...
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »
Thought of another one: my cousin's wife started getting her hair styled five minutes after the start time of her wedding. At least she was getting ready on-site (hotel wedding/reception). The hairdresser was one of the bridesmaids, so it wasn't like she was late getting there or anything. The bride was doing her own makeup and got really fussy about it, I guess, and decided to start again, and wanted her makeup done before her hair started. For that reason, and a few others, the wedding ended up starting nearly an hour late.

I nearly had a delay at my wedding due to hair.  I had an appointment to get my hair done, my mom's hair, and my mom's nails.  We arrived on time for our appointment and my hairdresser was just finishing up with her client.  Ok, a few minutes delay is fine.  My mom heads to the back with a different person to get her nails started (they're supposed to get done while my hair is being done, then my mom's hair would be done).  But now the stylist is telling her current client that they are running a special and since she had a cut and style (it was just blown out), she could get one of these little things put in her hair.  It looked like some sort of little colorful fake hair extension.  The lady is now debating with her daughter what color to get and getting that done.  Meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering when are we getting started on my hair.  I kind of have somewhere I'm supposed to be at a certain time!  At least have an assistant start straightening my hair or something!

My mom's nails got done and I was still sitting there waiting.  My mom was supposed to get her hair washed and styled, but had to just have it quickly sprayed and blown dry for us to make it in time to pick up my dress and get to the wedding site in time to have makeup done. 

Miss Understood

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2015, 11:14:44 PM »
I have a friend from high school ("Diana") who was notoriously late for everything.  She and I were assigned to be partners in a project for Civics class - we were tasked with interviewing someone in an embassy.  I set it up and told Diana to meet me at the Metro station (the one closest to both our homes) at a certain time, and emphasized that the lady at the embassy was doing us a favor and would be waiting for us, so she had to be on time.  I also gave her an earlier than necessary time because I knew she would be late and I was not going to be late for the appointment.  And I didn't want to go alone because I was 16 and a bit shy to interview such a person by myself.

So I am waiting, waiting, waiting, as trains go by, and no Diana.  So finally I went by myself because I was totally unwilling to be late for embassy lady, and interviewed her myself - only to find Diana rushing in at the last minute (when the interview was pretty much over) and receiving the same credit for it that I did, even though she did nothing.

The ironic thing is that we are still long-distance friends and when I met with her a few months ago, she was there before me so maybe she has changed her ways.

Miss Understood

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2015, 11:33:48 PM »
Sorry for the double posts but since they are separate situations I thought I'd keep the posts separate. 

DH and I live in a lovely but antiquated apartment which has only one bathroom.  I have long hair and he has very little hair so when we are going out together we schedule our bathroom time so that we can both be ready to go at the same time.  I used to tend to be the delayer of the two of us because of sleeping in, hair, makeup, accessorizing, etc. 

Now, however, I really try to get ready on the dot and usually succeed - but what I find is that he's not completely ready!  I do all my getting ready and am literally at the door, which he was too a minute ago, but suddenly there are a couple of things he needs to take care of.  In the warmer months it's not a real problem since I can just hang around waiting for him, but in winter it is really annoying since I already have my coat/scarf/hat/gloves/boots on in a heated apartment and I don't know how long the "couple things" might take before I burst into flames.

Biscuitgirl

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »
My first ex husband was a late guy too.  The kicker is his dad is a high ranking military guy.  So growing up as a military brat you'd think he would be early.  Nope.  We were late to every family get together if it wasn't at our house. I was brought up to always be early.  No such thing as fashionably late.

We would do the polite thing and tell the family not to wait up and start eating without us.  I guess they thought they were being polite because they never would.  Then they would complain loudly about it.  Oh well not something I have to worry about anymore since we aren't together.  Now his new wife will have to make do.

pattycake

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2015, 11:55:40 PM »
Friends of mine. Love 'em to death but honest to goodness they'll be late for their own funerals, I am sure. They invite me over for a meal at a certain time. I get there on time - they're still doing housework or yard work or whatever... meal is not ready for a couple hours. Now I absolutely do not arrive early to visit before, and I make sure that I have the previous meal less than 3 or 4 hours before going to their place so that it will tide me over that extra hour or so. But they are good enough friends that I have been known to just go to the pantry and grab something! Often we are waiting for the husband to get home; he's self-employed and his work can be erratic.

Or, same friends, you're supposed to go somewhere with them, or pick them up, or take their kids somewhere... yeah, the last time they asked if I would take the kids with me to church (I forget where they went) I told them, the Pattycake train leaves at 8 am sharp. NOT 8:05 or 8:15. So, I was driving down the road to look down the highway to see if I could see them at 8:05, and she turned the corner and I think was very shocked to see me driving off. They are now somewhat better about being on time when they are asking me to do a favor!

What bugs me the most though is the chronically late either say "Oh that's just me! hee hee!" or they hear other people say "Oh that's just the So-and-Soes" and they are allowed to get away with it just because they always have. I have gotten better about being absolutely firm on time with them. He was only 5 minutes late last time he asked me and his daughter to wait to give him a ride home after he dropped a car off for someone - I was very firm with him - his daughter HAD to be at work at a certain time and if he was late, she would be late! She told me she tries very hard not to be like him in that respect for which I am very thankful as I have had to pick her up or drop her off a few times and she has been very prompt. (She hasn't got her driver's yet, just her learners, and they don't live very far from me. )

o_gal

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2015, 06:34:35 AM »
Thought of another one: my cousin's wife started getting her hair styled five minutes after the start time of her wedding. At least she was getting ready on-site (hotel wedding/reception). The hairdresser was one of the bridesmaids, so it wasn't like she was late getting there or anything. The bride was doing her own makeup and got really fussy about it, I guess, and decided to start again, and wanted her makeup done before her hair started. For that reason, and a few others, the wedding ended up starting nearly an hour late.

I nearly had a delay at my wedding due to hair.  I had an appointment to get my hair done, my mom's hair, and my mom's nails.  We arrived on time for our appointment and my hairdresser was just finishing up with her client.  Ok, a few minutes delay is fine.  My mom heads to the back with a different person to get her nails started (they're supposed to get done while my hair is being done, then my mom's hair would be done).  But now the stylist is telling her current client that they are running a special and since she had a cut and style (it was just blown out), she could get one of these little things put in her hair.  It looked like some sort of little colorful fake hair extension.  The lady is now debating with her daughter what color to get and getting that done.  Meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering when are we getting started on my hair.  I kind of have somewhere I'm supposed to be at a certain time!  At least have an assistant start straightening my hair or something!

My mom's nails got done and I was still sitting there waiting.  My mom was supposed to get her hair washed and styled, but had to just have it quickly sprayed and blown dry for us to make it in time to pick up my dress and get to the wedding site in time to have makeup done.

Sisters! Yeah, happened to me too. In my case, my hairdresser is normally very punctual and had scheduled me at a certain time, and then before mine, took an appointment for a girl having her prom hair done. When she talked to the girl, the girl just wanted a regular wash and style, nothing fancy. She should have been done in plenty of time to do mine.

Well, girl's friends convinced her the day before to have an up-do. She had hair that was barely long enough to pull it off, so my hairdresser was having to take longer than even a regular up-do to get it done. But my hairdresser is full of awesome sauce and had figured out how she could do it. The only problem was that a half hour appointment was rapidly turning into a multi-hour appointment. And she still had my wedding hair to do. Luckily the nail tech could take me first and we got those done, then it was only another 15 minute wait until hairdresser got to me. But my Mom, for whom being on time is late, was fuming about making a bride wait for a prom girl.

Chipmunky

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »
A few funny anecdotes on being late..

I was a late baby. 6 days post due date, and they had to go in and get me via C-Section. My mom was ready to do it herself, she just wanted the pregnancy over with and to hold her baby. It did cause her some entertainment when people asked when she was due in grocery stores and she could look at them and say "3 days ago." They would freak out big time.

My colleague has two children. With her eldest, the labor was going all night, and no signs of the child by morning (turns out the baby wasn't positioned right, so they had to go in to get her anyway). Colleague's husband had, at colleague's insistence, gone home for some sleep overnight, and came in right after the doctors decided to do the C-section. Colleague pulled the oxygen mask away from her face and stated (she's a lawyer too) "let the record reflect, that the delay is not my fault, I had no problems with laboring myself, and we will never let the baby live down how she kept me here for 12 hours before deciding intervention was necessary." ;D

gingerzing

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2015, 08:15:38 AM »
DH.  I should have known since I bragged he was doing better.  Sigh.  Last night.   We had a meeting at 6:30, so needed to be ready to go about 6.

DH was home before I got off work.    I came in about 5PM and he was already changed out of his work clothes.  I started supper about 5:10, but it was one of those things that takes about 10 minutes to prep and needed to simmer for about 20 minutes.  So after I got it started I said, "Supper will be about 20 minutes."  Nothing for me to do while it simmered so I sat down and fiddled with my tablet.   
About 20 minutes later, DH asked if we were going to the meeting.  "Yes, dinner is cooking.  And is that what you are wearing?"  (they were gym shorts and a plain undershirt)  No, of course not. 
So he gets up to change and I check supper.  I come out since the timer rang while I was checking on it.  I go into the tell DH that dinner is done and he is getting ready for a "quick shower".   ???

Then he complains that I need to figure out something for dinner* to fix that is quicker, so we aren't late to meeting.   
Short argument/discussion in which I ask, "Did you not hear me when I said that dinner would be ready in 20 minutes?  Why didn't you take your shower then?" 
We ate and were out the door about 5 minutes later than normal for the meeting.  I drove and was able to "make up time" <wink wink nudge nudge> so that we would make it there with a few minutes to spare rather than a couple minutes late.   Just about a half mile before the house we were going to, DH asked to stop and get a pop.  SIGH.  And we were late by  those couple minutes. 

Yeah, we had a discussion later. 

*Neither of us ate much of the dinner even though it was fine. 
But this was also after he wouldn't eat the night before supper because it was a new recipe that he found out that he didn't like. 
He usually isn't so picky about food, but I think tonight he is getting plain mac and cheese.  (If he complains, he can go pound sand.)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
A few funny anecdotes on being late..

I was a late baby. 6 days post due date, and they had to go in and get me via C-Section. My mom was ready to do it herself, she just wanted the pregnancy over with and to hold her baby. It did cause her some entertainment when people asked when she was due in grocery stores and she could look at them and say "3 days ago." They would freak out big time.

My colleague has two children. With her eldest, the labor was going all night, and no signs of the child by morning (turns out the baby wasn't positioned right, so they had to go in to get her anyway). Colleague's husband had, at colleague's insistence, gone home for some sleep overnight, and came in right after the doctors decided to do the C-section. Colleague pulled the oxygen mask away from her face and stated (she's a lawyer too) "let the record reflect, that the delay is not my fault, I had no problems with laboring myself, and we will never let the baby live down how she kept me here for 12 hours before deciding intervention was necessary." ;D

I was a month and ten days late.  >:D Mum must have been at least reasonably comfortable, because she insisted that so long as I wasn't having problems she didn't have a problem either, and she refused to be induced for anyone else's convenience.

(Edited to add: I think part of her motivation was that I was due on January 1st, and every day I waited put my birthday further away from Christmas. Mum's birthday is December 16th, and she got a lot of combination birthday-and-Christmas presents growing up; my older sister's birthday is December 18th, and Mum fought tooth and nail to stop people doing the same to her. When she originally found out my due date I'm pretty sure she thought "oh no, not again!")
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:39:25 AM by Mel the Redcap »
"Set aphasia to stun!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »
I was a month and three days late being born. Only in my early 20's did I have issues with being late on a regular basis, and that was due to some delayed hormonal changes that caused me to sleep for extended periods. I'm working on DH and his proclivity for lateness, he has gotten much better about being ready to go.

Bert

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »
My first ex husband was a late guy too.  The kicker is his dad is a high ranking military guy.  So growing up as a military brat you'd think he would be early.  Nope.  We were late to every family get together if it wasn't at our house. I was brought up to always be early.  No such thing as fashionably late.

We would do the polite thing and tell the family not to wait up and start eating without us.  I guess they thought they were being polite because they never would.  Then they would complain loudly about it.  Oh well not something I have to worry about anymore since we aren't together.  Now his new wife will have to make do.

While I appreciate the sentiment behind "if we're late, just start without us", I find that in practice, it doesn't work really well.  The host and the on time guests have already said their greetings, poured drinks, sat down to their meal, etc...  Then someone else comes in and the host has to go through all that again, and get up to show them where to put the drinks they brought, say hi to their kids, warm up something again on the stove, etc...

When someone tells me "go ahead and start without me", I mentally have to divide them into two camps.  The first is for the people who could never have made it at the original time.  For example, if dinner is scheduled for 7:00 because that worked better for everyone else, but that person doesn't get off of work until 6:45, and they are 20 minutes away.  I think nothing of that, and just consider the inconvenience a necessary part of wanting them at the dinner. 

The second camp is for chronically late people, who just tell you "If I'm late, start without me", and don't actually have a reason.  I still consider that rude.  How about just be on time?  It's like when someone says "no offense but" and then says something really offensive.

I'm sure you're glad you don't have to deal with that anymore.  I had an ex who would do that with people that she knew.  When she tried it with my family, we had to have a talk about it.  I'm not sure she ever understood what my problem with it was.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2015, 01:59:10 PM »

Same thing happened to me too; when i was a BM in a friend's wedding. I had made my appt well in advance, so I'd be back in enough time to change, and make it to the church for photos. It was all local, so not a long distance to go from any of them.

I get there, and the person ahead of me was late, and she too was in a wedding, and wanted some fancy french braid or something like that. I don't recall, but I know I was very late getting done and back, and literally had to put my dress on, do my makeup and whatnot, in like 10 minutes, and then run to the car and then to the church. I think we either made it with minutes to spare, or were a few mintues late!  I was not happy since i made it on time, and the late one before me caused me to be late!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »
Once when I was on jury duty the part of the process where jurors are selected and asked questions had some up.  A name was called, and a lady who was definitely great with child walks toward the jury box.  The judge asked her when she was due, and she said, "Last week!"  The judge looked over at the two attorneys, and they all said, more or less simultaneously, "Excused!"