News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 23, 2017, 02:11:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have you ever seen someone on another forum using your username?  (Read 2884 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Have you ever seen someone on another forum using your username?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 11:08:13 AM »
My real name, there are three others in the world, at least three others with internet access.

DS is unique, no one else with his name in the world, and his first and last names are fairly common.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Coralline

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
I googled Snowfire and while I ran into a 1958 Western movie, a British ointment for chapped skin & lips, a snowplow, and several auto type businesses, I didn't find any other forum posters, at least in the first couple of pages of results. I picked the name from one of my favorite roses & it also sounds like a Tayledras use name & I'm a Mercedes Lackey fan. (She actually had a Snowfire as a very minor character in one book, but I had started using it long before that.)

another Mercedes Lackey fan

And another Mercedes Lackey fan...so is Ambrosia Hino (aka DD - I made sure she had GOOD books to read as a child).  But I am not just a fan of Mercedes Lackey.  With a military spouse who had a father & mother's brother as military members before him, the Vor seemed a relatively good *fit* for the household.

Could you please explain "Vor" for this non-American, non-military person? I've always wondered what your name means.

Lois McMaster Bujold has a series out where the aristocracy/military caste is referred to as the Vor (not all Vor are aristocrats - but all aristocrats are members of the military caste).  Traditionally, only the Vor caste bore arms - but with an invasion force occupying them for a few years, that got things loosened up a bit...as anyone who volunteered to be a guerilla fighter, under the circumstances.  The stories more or less start a generation or two after the end of the invasion and...well...no spoilers. 

It makes sense (more or less) in the context of the book/universe - but I married into a family with two retired military members (FIL and MIL's brother) and VorGuy had already spent time in the military, then we went to college (he had GI bill) and both of us ended up in the military afterward for a while.  I got out just before 6 years and he retired in 2005.   So, it seemed to "fit"our family, too.

Run a search on Vorkosigan universe and Bujold...if you want to find the books, check out Baen Publishing.  They aren't everyone's cup of tea - they aren't Weber, Drake, or Ringo books with stories set during wars - but somewhat more about the changes that the invasion and other things going on made in a society.  And the changes that it continues to make across some thirty-odd years in the life of the main family (a woman and later, her son).

Thanks, that very interesting. I'm going to check it out.

TootsNYC

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »
Somebody used a mimic of mine here--like, with a space in front, or a dash in the middle.

Otherwise, I haven't seen either of the two I use elsewhere.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 02:33:16 AM »
No, but I've seen people using my real name...  (It's not super rare or eligible for the baby names thread, but it also not a very common name.  Although it's getting more so.)

It makes me grrrr, even though I have absolutely no right to.   What can I say?  I'm possessive about my name, even though plenty of other people share it.   ::)

Are you aware that there is a Giraffe message board?  www.giraffeboards.com
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

spookycatlady

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 06:05:16 AM »
I've seen many a crazy cat lady, but no spooky ones... It was bestowed on me by a highly inappropriate and completely wrong-for-me crush I had about 17 years ago. The crush is long forgotten and out of my life, but the name still makes me laugh.

I used to go by a particular the name  on one forum and used it in another venue because my standard was taken. The regular user of *that* name in the new venue was quite put out and made a big stink about it.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »
My handle is very common in various forums, from what I've seen.  I had to add some numbers to it to be able to use it with on-line dating sites way back when.

My real name is both very uncommon (first) and very common (last).  My first name is so uncommon that when you google it with my last name, all references returned are me.  So when I ventured into social media, with Facebook, I elected not to use my first name and use Em as a substitute for my first initial.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Bijou

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
I googled my real name and find I am really quite clever, and have written lots of academic papers and books I know not what of...
How do you google it?  What phrasing would you use?  When I tried one of mine it just came up with a bunch of definitions for the word.  Thanks
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 10:08:16 AM »
I googled my real name and find I am really quite clever, and have written lots of academic papers and books I know not what of...
How do you google it?  What phrasing would you use?  When I tried one of mine it just came up with a bunch of definitions for the word.  Thanks
If I were looking for my real name, I'd do this: "Jane Doe."  The quotes tell  google that you want to look for that exact phrase, not the two words separately. I would also look for any variations I use. "Jane D. Doe," "J. D. Doe," or "Janie Doe."  Google also understand "or" as long as it is capitalized. "Jane Doe" OR "Janie Doe."

For a username, if it's a common word, I would try things like
Bijou username OR "user name."
Bijou "screen name"
Bijou forum
Bijou "message board"

You can also exclude terms.
Bijou -definition - dictionary
However, that might exclude someone you want to find, such as a Bijou who posted a link to Ann line dictionary

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Rose

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
All the time.  ;)

lilfox

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »
I used a different screen name years ago in the only two other forums I ever participated in.  Unfortunately it was already taken when I signed up here, but I've never seen that person post.  I probably could have used a derivative with an underscore or something, but I didn't know at the time that the other account was dormant. No idea if my username shows up in other forums, but it's not me.

My first name is super, super common in the US (1M+), my last name is super common, and the combination is still pretty darn common.  Even using my middle initial there are a number of "us" that show up in Google, and some of them also publish research papers, fortunately in other fields or it would get confusing fast.  Someone at ehell uses my first name and last initial as a username and it always catches my eye.   :D

If I used my married name professionally, I'd almost be one of a kind, and DH and the kids are the only ones with their combination first and last names.

bopper

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
There are other "boppers" out there!

squeakers

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
No, but I've seen people using my real name...  (It's not super rare or eligible for the baby names thread, but it also not a very common name.  Although it's getting more so.)

It makes me grrrr, even though I have absolutely no right to.   What can I say?  I'm possessive about my name, even though plenty of other people share it.   ::)

Are you aware that there is a Giraffe message board?  www.giraffeboards.com

Snark board! For the Straight Dope Message Board  ( http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/) and any other board... but since its inception a few decades back (it seems) it complains about a lot of stuff... carry an umbrella (protection for storms and has a pointy end).

As far as my username here ... it is pretty close to many.  My usual user name, well, I found only one other person using it the last time I checked (about 2 years ago). And only on 1 forum.  I don't recall if they posted more than once because it was a vanity search and I just went "huhn".
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

mime

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 01:49:09 PM »
I find my preferred user name is already taken from time to time when I register on a website, but have never came across someone actively using it. It's always a little disappointing because I want the simplicity of the same username everywhere, but no such luck for me. I usually have to modify it a bit to get something that works.

Whenever I encounter another "mime", I always wonder "are they actually a mime, too? Do I know them?" Not that we all know each other, but over the years I was part of a group that worked with many other mimes, and trained countless performers from several countries and feel like it's just a two degrees of separation kind of thing.

As for my real name, I'm aware of only 1 other person in my country (US) with it. A marathon runner. Not aware of any others in the world. Similar for my DH, but it was funny when his name came up in a television show. It was used as the name of a mutual friend of the characters on the show who were gossiping about something or other. Kinda funny to hear his name pop up!

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2017, 11:36:34 AM »
-- yes, though I use it in more places. I'm "Mediancat" on a number of forums, and it's also the alias I use when I write fanfiction.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts