News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 30, 2016, 08:24:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 1340215 times)

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #5670 on: July 28, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »
At my business, a residential/commercial cleaning company, I will get texts from people interested in our services. I always text back please call to make sure its legit. A person inquiring about our services wanted me to charge their credit card $3000.00 USD and keep $300 for our cleaning services and they would be right over for the $2700.00 in cash.  I texted back that they would be meet with the police.  They have tried it twice with texts from different accounts and emails. They would also add a local address that was real but the house was for sale and they wanted it cleaned because they just moved from the area.

That is why I never advertise our company on Craigslist.

You know the thing with these people is sometimes even if you agree to the deal they still never show up...it's like they then can't believe their good fortune at your ignorance.  Very strange these crooks.  I can't go into the details about what I know about this but truly, you charge their card and you never see them.  In a few days/weeks you get a notice from credit card processing company that card is stolen/phony, etc. and being charged back to your account. I'm sure there are scammers that show up for the money but not always apparently.   

They missed the lesson in con artist school that says you have them get the cash for you, then they wire/Western Union the funds. That way by the time you get the fraud alert and charge-back they do have the cash.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5671 on: July 28, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »
Quite frankly, I don't care if someone blocks me on Facebook.  People who matter to me wouldn't do it without talking to me first, and if someone blocks me because they disagree with my opinion, good riddance.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5672 on: July 28, 2016, 02:32:44 PM »
Quite frankly, I don't care if someone blocks me on Facebook.  People who matter to me wouldn't do it without talking to me first, and if someone blocks me because they disagree with my opinion, good riddance.

POD POD POD

I have a friend that starts out her political commentary by saying if you don't like my opinion block me.  In her case I think it is a ploy for attention right off the bat.  Buy yes, if someone blocked her because of that I would think good riddance also. 

I personally do not posts rants on FB, when I post (and it is rare) it is usually pictures of the grandkids doing something fun or something so funny I had to post a picture of it. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5673 on: July 28, 2016, 03:23:30 PM »
Facecrooks is a good site to get FB scam information. Here is their current Top 10 Facebook scams to avoid. This particular one is #1.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #5674 on: Yesterday at 06:39:39 AM »

Exactly!!!   I used to see that banner, and my first thought was 'So?'  Why would I care who blocks me?   

sbagirl

« Reply #5675 on: Yesterday at 08:13:13 AM »
I had a VM recently from “Officer Bethany.”  Officer Bethany had a rather sexy-sounding female voice and the message went like this:

“A lawsuit has been filed against [slight pause, then a man’s louder, very deep voice] YOU [back to woman’s voice] and if YOU don’t contact me immediately, YOU may lose money  …. Blah, blah, etc.”

The word “you” was in the man’s voice every time throughout the message.  It was rather amusing.  And no, I didn’t return the call.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5676 on: Yesterday at 12:53:50 PM »
Years ago my ex-BIL told my dad he had filed a restraining order against my dad.  My dad was quite understandably upset, as he only wanted to visit with the grandkids.  However, some research showed that XBIL was lying, as Dad would have been notified through official channels, e.g. served with official paperwork if this was really the case.  XBIL was rapidly proven to be a huge liar, but he did it so badly most of us were well aware to not trust anything he said. 

Hillia

« Reply #5677 on: Yesterday at 02:12:48 PM »
My mother's brother and his wife were in poor health in their later years due to a lifetime of bad decisions.  When my aunt needed full time help, my mother moved in with them to take care of her because my uncle couldn't (heart disease, diabetes, general failure).  Aunt died a few weeks later, and was followed a month or so later by Uncle.  Mom had spent 3 or so months at this time doing all the cleaning and cooking, laundry, errands, driving to dr's appts, picking up and dispensing medication, etc.  After they died, mom stayed on and was helping clean the house to get it ready for sale, no easy task after 40 years of occupancy by a pack rat.  There were 4 daughters, 2 who lived locally and 2 who didn't.  The 2 local daughters did what they could to help, but one was very fragile emotionally and basically sat around the house crying, and the other was a single woman barely getting by; she couldn't afford to miss much work.  The other 2 daughters came in for a few days, then left.  Mom stayed and continued cleaning and working on the house. The youngest daughter, who was one of the out of towners, got her knickers in a knot over perceived injustices in the way their parents' estate was divided.  When she got home, she wrote my mother an extremely nasty, pseudo-legal letter, asking who had given her permission to stay in the house (the executrix of the estate), how much rent she was paying, and demanding an accounting of various items that were in the house.  Daughter had worked for many years as a legal secretary, so she knew how to word the letter so that it looked official.  Mom called me in a panic, thinking she was on the verge of being arrested or forcibly removed from the house.  I told her the letter had no legal standing unless it was backed by a court order from a judge, and if Daughter persisted in being a witch, she should submit a counter bill for 90 days of 24 hour nursing care (mom was an RN) as well as personal care attendant, housecleaning, and nutritional support services.  Fortunately the oldest daughter/executrix stepped in and checked her sister before I had to take action.

floridamom

« Reply #5678 on: Yesterday at 03:54:15 PM »
A little background: Hubby is self employed.  He owns his own ice cream truck and has been in business for 10 yrs. Every 5 yrs he has to renew his fictitious business name. 

Yesterday, Hubs gets a notice in the mail saying fictitious name is up for renewal and the fee is $125! It is official looking and saying "2016 - Fictitious Name Instruction Form... Important! Follow Instructions Exactly.. etc" also it quotes some FL statues and need to respond by a certain date.   But you have to read it carefully.. In small print..it says "Florida Assumed Name Services is not a government agency and does not have a contract with any governmental agency to provide this service"  Hubs was getting upset with the price.  We both remember that the renewal fee was around $50 and due at the end of the year.  I went to the state website.  Sure enough, it is due at the end of the year and the fee is $50 not $125 as this notice is stating.  I did some internet research and it is a SCAM!!  Sadly, alot of small businesses have fallen for it :(

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #5679 on: Yesterday at 04:16:01 PM »
A little background: Hubby is self employed.  He owns his own ice cream truck and has been in business for 10 yrs. Every 5 yrs he has to renew his fictitious business name. 

Yesterday, Hubs gets a notice in the mail saying fictitious name is up for renewal and the fee is $125! It is official looking and saying "2016 - Fictitious Name Instruction Form... Important! Follow Instructions Exactly.. etc" also it quotes some FL statues and need to respond by a certain date.   But you have to read it carefully.. In small print..it says "Florida Assumed Name Services is not a government agency and does not have a contract with any governmental agency to provide this service"  Hubs was getting upset with the price.  We both remember that the renewal fee was around $50 and due at the end of the year.  I went to the state website.  Sure enough, it is due at the end of the year and the fee is $50 not $125 as this notice is stating.  I did some internet research and it is a SCAM!!  Sadly, alot of small businesses have fallen for it :(

This is like those garbage letters you get about Legal Postings you have to have at Place of Business for labor laws. They are outrageous prices for things you can literally just print off from the internet. They send the in brightly colored "DUE NOW" "IMMEDIATE ATTENTION REQUIRED" and then the fine print is all "this is an advertisement and not a bill". They love to make them look like invoices so that an unsuspecting (brand spanking new apparently) A/P will just pony up...