News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 06:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Technology Peeves  (Read 1573 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Technology Peeves
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:10 PM »
We live in a more rural area.  Lots of people figure if they've been up for hours, you have been too.  I haven't.  I'm a member of a group where the group leader likes to text blast about upcoming meetings at about 7 a.m. Saturday morning.  Then all the other lovely people who are already up and have been for hours start reply alling to her text. 

When I remember there is a meeting the following week, I just turn the phone down to silent.  If not I can get a dozen text messages between 7 and 7:30 a.m. on a Saturday.  The only day of the week I get to sleep in until 8. 
 :P

Do not disturb is your friend if you have an iphone.  Nothing will come through unless you set a contact to favorite.  So for example, my aunt and grandfather whom I live with are favorites.  Everyone else, nope.  I hear nothing until 9am   

Not sure if Android has something similar, but I would look into it
Maryland

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »
One of our docs has been having issues with his dictation machine, with a lot of static and distortion.  According to him he's waiting on a new machine.  That particular doc wasn't there today, and I swear every doctor in the place must used his machine. 

Firecat

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »
My current cell phone is fine...not great, but fine. Except I hate how easily I seem to be able to remove the time and weather widget from the home screen. I have had to re-add that stupid thing so many times because I somehow managed to remove it without meaning to. Drives me up the wall.

scansons

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 10:12:41 PM »
We live in a more rural area.  Lots of people figure if they've been up for hours, you have been too.  I haven't.  I'm a member of a group where the group leader likes to text blast about upcoming meetings at about 7 a.m. Saturday morning.  Then all the other lovely people who are already up and have been for hours start reply alling to her text. 

When I remember there is a meeting the following week, I just turn the phone down to silent.  If not I can get a dozen text messages between 7 and 7:30 a.m. on a Saturday.  The only day of the week I get to sleep in until 8. 

Do not disturb is your friend if you have an iphone.  Nothing will come through unless you set a contact to favorite.  So for example, my aunt and grandfather whom I live with are favorites.  Everyone else, nope.  I hear nothing until 9am   

No iPhone.  I'm cheep.  I just have a little flip phone that does texting.   

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 11:39:10 PM »
Today I was looking for closet pictures because I am going to make our closet better and I just want to look at some different closets for ideas.  In all these closet pictures is a picture of a really interesting little chest of drawers and I go "Huh, wonder how they did that!" and clicked on the picture - which it said was "specific woodworking site".  Usually that means it will go to the page the picture is on and I am actually really careful about what I click on.

So, instead, it redirects to a full page ad for a woodworking plans scam.  And, it will not let me leave the page.  It has an "are you sure you want to leave this page?" script that every time you say "yes", it just repeats.  I had to ctrl/alt/del just to shut the browser down because it was blocking that as well.

lilfox

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 12:05:56 AM »
I forgot my other internet ad pet peeve: ones with horrifying or gross images that move so they're very eye catching, and there's no way to get that to stop except for scrolling it off the page or closing the tab altogether.  It's like spam, I cannot imagine who that type of thing is supposed to appeal to so how is it a viable money maker?

I have a similar pet peeve about graphic animal cruelty Facebook posts (the ones against animal cruelty of course, but they're pretty awful).  I can't unsee that and I don't think highly of the people who perpetuate those things, particularly when it's more than half their posts (I unfollow when I can).

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 04:25:15 AM »
Today I was looking for closet pictures because I am going to make our closet better and I just want to look at some different closets for ideas.  In all these closet pictures is a picture of a really interesting little chest of drawers and I go "Huh, wonder how they did that!" and clicked on the picture - which it said was "specific woodworking site".  Usually that means it will go to the page the picture is on and I am actually really careful about what I click on.

So, instead, it redirects to a full page ad for a woodworking plans scam.  And, it will not let me leave the page.  It has an "are you sure you want to leave this page?" script that every time you say "yes", it just repeats.  I had to ctrl/alt/del just to shut the browser down because it was blocking that as well.

There are a lot of fake virus warnings like that and it drives me up the wall.  A relative of mine got taken for $500 by one of those.

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 09:57:08 AM »
I have a similar pet peeve about graphic animal cruelty Facebook posts (the ones against animal cruelty of course, but they're pretty awful).  I can't unsee that and I don't think highly of the people who perpetuate those things, particularly when it's more than half their posts (I unfollow when I can).

Yup, I unfollow those people and just accept that I am not going to know as much about their lives.  Because yes, they can use FB how they want.  But I do not have to accept those images spamming my feed.

And when you're in a city 500 miles from me and asking if anyone, please anyone, would be willing to adopt this poor pathetic abused animal that is going to need major intensive help and medical attention -- and you're not limiting this post to the people you know who actually live near said city?  Yes, I consider that spam.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 10:29:46 AM »
Facebook Newsfeed has been annoying me lately by suddenly showing me things that I have set the settings to not see.  Such as people's "Likes" and "So-and-so commented on this."  It seems random who is chosen to appear in my newsfeed and I have zero interest in what people are doing on FB.  I keep clicking "I don't want to see this" but I swear it's showing me more, not less.  I double-checked my settings and I should not be seeing this stuff.  I think it's creepy and intrusive.   

I clean up my FB Wall (Timeline) all the time by hiding posts after a few days.  I keep a few things on there that I really like but for the most part "hide" everything else.  Yesterday my FB app on my phone suddenly made a whole wack of things that I'd previously hidden show up.  I spent a half-hour cleaning everything up again. And then it hid what I wanted to keep on there!  My FB app on my phone has gone wonky a couple of times in the past too. My timeline when I look at it in Safari or on the computer is fine.

I also hate how FB arbitrarily hides things on your timeline, especially in the phone app.  If I wasn't so emotionally invested in FB and it wasn't such a ubiquitous part of society now I'd get rid of it.  I can't bring myself to lose 8 years worth of memories and photos though.

Plus the "Other" Inbox has to go. How many messages don't get read because it's landed in there and people don't see them because you can't access that mailbox in the phone app and people don't always check FB on the computer. 

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »
I use my iPad exclusively for accessing the Internet.

Facebook and walmart.com are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

The W-M site is not sensitive to touch at all. The search feature may or may not accept touch. If it does accept, it may or may not allow me to type in a product name.  >:(

FB is ssooo weirdly sensitive that when I touch "reply", the item below what I want to reply to, comes up. It's almost to the point that I'm half afraid to breathe on the screen for fear of an advertisement coming up.  ::)

jolyan

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 08:02:35 AM »

My android has a sleep mode. It does the same thing.

jolyan

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 08:04:21 AM »
This is about how the technology itself behaves, not the way its users do.  I'll start:

"Slideshow" websites that have so many ads on them the take forever to load.  They also don't allow you to see the entire photo without scrolling down at least half a screen.

Click bait.  You can try this site http://deslide.clusterfake.net/ to see all the slides on one page. It doesn't work with all sites but it is helpful.