News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone using Natural Cycles app?  (Read 981 times)

flowerhill

Anyone using Natural Cycles app?
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
Has anyone tried the Natural Cycles app for contraceptive purposes? I have been on the Pill for many, many years and am tired of the weight gain and other side effects. I am considering a copper IUD but am also afraid of possible side effects.

Natural Cycles has glowing reviews but I am interested in hearing opinions on both sides of the spectrum. Has anyone found it to be unreliable?

https://www.naturalcycles.com/en/contraception

gollymolly2

Re: Anyone using Natural Cycles app?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »
No, but I do know a bunch of natural family planning babies :)

For what it's worth, I've had few side effects from the Mirena.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »
I didn't use an app, just paper charting, but I was only surprised by one baby (conceiving twins, a singleton wouldn't have been a surprise).  The science looks sound, as long as both halves of the couple are on board.

Cor

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »
No, but I do know a bunch of natural family planning babies :)
[snip]

I'd be curious to know how many of those couples were just following the old school "Rhythm Method" (based on a the average cycle length of an average woman...who does not exist rendering the method useless) or who were just going through the motions without researching and doing the science.  From what I heard from a mutual friend, my friend told her husband they were practicing NFP but really wasn't because she wanted to get pregnant and he didn't.  (Not. Cool.)  They recently got pregnant again after her husband was using an app and it gave them the wrong dates for her fertile window.  I don't understand how he was the one responsible for knowing her fertile signs in the first place.  So big shock they got pregnant again.  But these are typical of people who tell you their "NFP" failed, in my experience.

I used NFP myself to avoid pregnancy for a short time and then to finally achieve pregnancy after a long time trying.  There are several signs your body gives off when you're fertile, you have to learn to pay attention to them with these methods.  The app appears to use the Sympto-Thermal method (highly accurate thermometer, same time of day every day--your temperature spikes the slightest bit when you're ovulating) and then to add even more science which probably can't hurt.  I used an app that tracked the temperature as well as other signs (cervical mucus, and some use the angle of the cervix ).  The Marquette Method uses these other signs and then uses test strips to check when you're ovulating.

I used the TCOYF App, from the Taking Charge of Your Fertility book's authors.  It tracks all kinds of data and then helps you figure out when you need to abstain to avoid (or the opposite to conceive).  It's not as cut and dried (red/green) like the app, which looks pretty nifty.  But TCOYF is free (just buy your own basal thermometer from Amazon--it's more accurate than just a regular thermometer, which won't work for this).

You definitely have to have your partner on board to practice NFP, like HoneyBee42 said.  It can be really good for the rel@tionship to know that your partner supports you enough to abstain on certain days because the alternative is for you to be on medication that does bad things to your body/how you feel.

LonniesMom

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
It is probably effective if used properly but once I went off birth control (same reasons as you) I downloaded and tracked my cycle with one of those apps... but admittedly did not use it properly and got pregnant right away (to my surprise, as I thought it took 2-3 months for hormones to regulate)... but my situation comes down to user error (or rather, indifference, lol). So, if not on a BC method, I think depends on how serious you are about the tracking/abstaining when necessary etc.

mime

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:18:41 PM »
IME, very few people are taking advantage of all the science available to the them and use the very old and unreliable rhythm method instead, and think it is the same thing.

I've used the symptoms and temperatures for over 20 years, to successfully avoid and to achieve. When TTC, it took only  3 to 10 weeks, even after I was 40. Then I got lazy and stopped tracking anything and had a surprise pregnancy at 42. So, my experience is that it is very effective as long as you stay on top of it!

I have to agree very strongly that both partners have to be on board with it. I think it would have been very difficult if DH and I weren't well-aligned in our goals.

Ryuugan80

• AO3 Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:31 AM »
I use the Clue app to track my periods and from what I see it also tracks fertility, so that might help?
"Yo, those kids are straight up liars, man. All I told them to do was run product. And by product, I mean chewing gum."  - Lie to Me

oogyda

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 07:38:07 AM »

snip

From what I heard from a mutual friend, my friend told her husband they were practicing NFP but really wasn't because she wanted to get pregnant and he didn't.  (Not. Cool.)  They recently got pregnant again after her husband was using an app and it gave them the wrong dates for her fertile window.  I don't understand how he was the one responsible for knowing her fertile signs in the first place.  So big shock they got pregnant again.   

Maybe he was the one "responsible" since he was the one who didn't want a pregnancy. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »
I downloaded the free Ela app for tracking, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it if I were trying to prevent pregnancy, rather than trying to encourage it. It doesn't seem very precise.

I began using it the day after I went off the pill. But the first thing it requires you to enter is how long your cycle is. How 'bout "no clue, since I've been using some form of pill or Mirena for a long time"? I just used the pill cycle as a guess.

Maybe it's just me, though. It has great reviews.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 12:27:31 PM »
I have used NFP a long time ago for about a decade. It is as safe as the pill if you play by the rules. Rules are:

Use a conventional analogue thermometer, no digital.

Measure temperature before getting up at exactly the same time every morning after having been in bed for at least six hours  and not been up (bathroom, etc.) for at least an hour (really hard if you really, really need to pee).

Also measure position and texture of cervix and presence and viscosity of mucus.

Use barrier methods or abstinence during the days you are (possibly) fertile.

Cor

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »

snip

From what I heard from a mutual friend, my friend told her husband they were practicing NFP but really wasn't because she wanted to get pregnant and he didn't.  (Not. Cool.)  They recently got pregnant again after her husband was using an app and it gave them the wrong dates for her fertile window.  I don't understand how he was the one responsible for knowing her fertile signs in the first place.  So big shock they got pregnant again.   

Maybe he was the one "responsible" since he was the one who didn't want a pregnancy.

What I meant was, only the woman can figure out the information that needs to be charted (her temperature and other signs).  So unless she was telling him the info and he was just "responsible" for recording it, the app he had would be useless.  My best guess knowing them is they were using rhythm method and he was using an app that simply assumed all her cycles were the same length and would tell him her presumed fertile time based off LMP rather than science.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.