News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 04, 2015, 07:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Should I get Amazon Prime?  (Read 2371 times)

CharlieBraun

Re: Should I get Amazon Prime?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
I've more than made up for the $$$ for Amazon Prime in streaming Jane Austen adaptations from all eras.  Throw on top of that, the dog food I can only get there (my local pet stores no longer handle it,) the food choices, and the fact that they've always bailed me out on last minute Xmas scrums, I'd pay for it twice over.
"We ate the pies."

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2015, 12:19:51 AM »
Update: I haven't subscribed very long and it has already paid for itself. Dog and cat food, toothpaste, pressure washer, most things I would get at a grocery store or a pet store and some things for DH (tools, etc), and even USPS forever stamps.

My trips to the grocery store will now be much faster since I'll really only need to get perishables. It really has saved me quite a bit of time. Not enough time to chech out the movies but I have a day off work coming soon so we shall see.

CuriousParty

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2015, 12:28:48 AM »
You can get stamps on Amazon?!????! (Wanders off...)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2015, 12:37:08 AM »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

FauxFoodist

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:59 AM »
If you have a .edu email address, you can get Prime for half price for up to 5 (I think ) years.  So that's helpful.

It's up to four years.  I know because I have a student account (due to the fact I'm still a student) and noticed it tells me I get to have the student price no more than four years from now.

After reading the first page of this thread, I thought I'd check out Prime Pantry.  Didn't see anything worth my while.  DH then managed to break his phone (iPhone 6) last Friday that we've only had for 4-5 months so we're still 19-20 months away from paying it off (his might be four months as it was a Christmas present from me; I've had my 6+ for five months).  Anyway, I needed to get him a new case for his replacement iPhone as quickly as possible so I figured $49/year would be worth it for the 2-day shipping and to be able to watch the latest episodes of "Mad Men."  Well, the episodes cost extra outside of the Prime membership so that was one strike.  However, you can watch the latest episodes of "Mr. Selfridge" and "Wolf Hall."  Okay, so I checked and even with a season pass for both "Mr. Selfridge" and "Wolf Hall" *and* paying for two-day shipping by itself, I still would've spent $10 less than for that Prime membership.  I canceled it a few minutes ago.

For someone like me, it's not worth having so I may have unlimited two-day shipping.  It is a rarity when I need something that quickly because, busy as I am, I spend a ton of time online so I'm usually already in place to purchase things far enough in advance not to need faster shipping.  Our house is well-stocked enough that there's nothing I need to order through Amazon I can't get much easier and faster by going to the grocery stores that are pretty close to our house (we drive by one every day to/from work).  In the case of the cell phone cases, I needed those as fast as possible without having to search stores finding the specific ones I wanted and two-day shipping was the fastest option online with Amazon (DH was the one to break his phone so I think he's the one who should have to physically call around and go to stores to replace the case, but I was willing to order them online to protect his phone faster -- the screen protector and case I had for his first phone actually did protect his phone for a few months because he was constantly dropping it; he finally dropped it once too many times after he'd already done serious damage to the screen protector and shattered his iPhone screen).  I learned and ordered an anti-slip impact-absorbing case which arrived one day after the phone arrived (so I prayed that he wouldn't drop the phone again in that 24-hour period).

Anyway, I was really hoping that Prime would turn out to be a great benefit for us, but it really isn't (we have Netflix and Hulu so having access to yet another company's video library isn't worth it).  We also already have a lot of stuff so I'll typically save for later things I'd like to obtain (because they're usually not things we need -- just things I want to have) and when I'm buying stuff through Amazon, I'll check my list and see if there's anything I want to add in order to either a) qualify for free shipping or b) not have to pay for shipping since the item I'm ordering initially already has free shipping covered.

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
I have to admit, I'm not impressed with Prime Pantry.  Most of the stuff isn't things that interest me; for instance, there are only a few brands of cat food, not the ones I feed my cats.  Other stuff, I buy elsewhere on sale.  It took over $100 to finally scare up enough items to use my $5.99 credit.  Yeah, I don't think so.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 12:24:30 PM »
I have to admit, I'm not impressed with Prime Pantry.  Most of the stuff isn't things that interest me; for instance, there are only a few brands of cat food, not the ones I feed my cats.  Other stuff, I buy elsewhere on sale.  It took over $100 to finally scare up enough items to use my $5.99 credit.  Yeah, I don't think so.

Slightly OT but i felt the same way about Peapod grocery delivery. I used it a couple of times, but they either didn't have the flavors of something I normally get, or the brand or variety, so I had to go out and get it anyway, myself. My mom, on the other hand, uses Harris Teeter's service, but there, they gather her order from the actual store, and she just goes and picks it up when ready.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »
We are now ordering our coffee subscribe and save. It's far cheaper than the same brand, smaller size at our local store. YMMV

Another Sarah

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 09:36:09 AM »
I really really hate amazon prime movies. I think it's such a scam.
I only got it by accident - I used to have Lovefilm until Amazon took it over and that triggered Prime for me.
What happened then was that about 70-75% of the titles I liked on Lovefilm that Amazon bought were given an additional charge for leasing - which I really object to when I already pay a premium that is slightly more expensive than I pay for Netflix. What is free on amazon in the UK is not a particularly great offering - a few classics, the odd new release, but most of the mainstream popular stuff you end up paying more for.
I took my prime subscription off and use Netflix - it's much much better and the selection of films I actually want to watch without paying a fortune for is wider.