Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 271934 times)

greencat

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #1590 on: Yesterday at 05:52:49 PM »
Whenever I hear stories like the above, I have to stop and think "How the heck did you get into university in the first place if you think that's a good idea?"

Their parents did their homework in high schooland filled out the applications for them.

I spent six months at a bible school that had some very specific dress codes and rules about tatoos and piercings and modifying your appearance while a student there.  The number of students who railed against disipinary action when they broke one of the rules always made me shake my head, because we had to sign a very detailed form agreeing to abide by these rules while a student.

I brought it up to a group of people complaining that they had signed the contract and they had no clue what I was talking about. Sigh

This was 20 or so years ago, but a local high school had a dress code that included no visible tattoos.  Two senior girls figured they'd prove how cool they were by getting tattoos the last week of school.  The principal called their bluff and they were not allowed to walk at graduation.

I actually have rather different feelings about dress codes for adults at work or at college, where your presence is voluntary (because you could drop out or quit) than about dress codes at the compulsory education level, where, most of the time, your presence is compelled by law.  I don't really think the high school forcing students to miss a major life event for violating their dress code is equivalent to the college students complaining about disciplinary action.

SheltieMom

« Reply #1591 on: Yesterday at 05:55:40 PM »
Whenever I hear stories like the above, I have to stop and think "How the heck did you get into university in the first place if you think that's a good idea?"

Their parents did their homework in high schooland filled out the applications for them.

I spent six months at a bible school that had some very specific dress codes and rules about tatoos and piercings and modifying your appearance while a student there.  The number of students who railed against disipinary action when they broke one of the rules always made me shake my head, because we had to sign a very detailed form agreeing to abide by these rules while a student.

I brought it up to a group of people complaining that they had signed the contract and they had no clue what I was talking about. Sigh

This was 20 or so years ago, but a local high school had a dress code that included no visible tattoos.  Two senior girls figured they'd prove how cool they were by getting tattoos the last week of school.  The principal called their bluff and they were not allowed to walk at graduation.

I actually have rather different feelings about dress codes for adults at work or at college, where your presence is voluntary (because you could drop out or quit) than about dress codes at the compulsory education level, where, most of the time, your presence is compelled by law.  I don't really think the high school forcing students to miss a major life event for violating their dress code is equivalent to the college students complaining about disciplinary action.
I don't have any sympathy for them. They could have waited a week to get the tattoos, but they deliberately chose to defy the rules.

If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Hillia

« Reply #1592 on: Yesterday at 06:00:17 PM »
That's my feeling.  They were daring him, and he called their bluff.  The consequences were outlined in the handbook (it called for a 3 day suspension, I think) but since that wasn't possible, they were suspended from walking. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

audhs

« Reply #1593 on: Today at 01:41:35 PM »

I understand where your coming from, I personally thought some of the rules were more strict than nessicary for adults but my issue with the complaining was that it neither the rules or the punishment for breaking the rules were a surprise it was all very clearly outlined in the application process.

uts like joining the army and suddenly being shocked that they enforce a dress code.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1594 on: Today at 01:51:28 PM »
Not so much PD cause it's middle school but earlier this week I was sitting in on my middle child's science class (this week they're letting parents see how their child's class is) and the teacher was trying to tell the kids that in 8th grade the'd have to take the MSA's and would need to know this information (rock formation) for that test.

Kids started asking "But what if we move to Pennyslvania? Hawaii? Ohio? New York?"

One kid said "What about Mexico?" She said they have their tests too.  Same kid said "What if you move out of the country?"
"Mexico is another country, hon."

This is 6th grade, btw. Clearly someone's not paying attention on the days they have social studies.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1595 on: Today at 02:06:36 PM »
I remember being in the military and running into people who really were shocked that they really did have to keep their hair clean & cut reasonably short (or put up, if they were female); bathe; clean their dorm room on a regular basis (whether they had a room mate - there were nine people in six rooms in each suite); and show up to work on time & listen to those in a supervisory position.  Whether the supervisor was another military member or a civilian...

Telling the supervisor something insubordinate really did get a few of them in trouble...

For some reason, having a female junior officer read the charges to them, quoting what they'd said, really did enlighten them as to why they were as deeply in trouble as they were - because for some reason, their own use of bad language was no longer something that they noticed.  If a male officer read the charges back...it didn't make quite the same impression.  I checked with a few guys in similar job positions...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1596 on: Today at 02:14:21 PM »
A high school classmate of mine went into the army because he was "sick of people telling him what to do."

I always wondered what happened to him  :P  (I could see it going either way, honestly: either he hated it and washed out, or the army straightened him up and he grew up a lot.)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1597 on: Today at 02:17:30 PM »
I was in the Air Force.  I also ran into people who wanted to "show their family that they were all grown up" - didn't always work out they way they'd expected - I do hope that they learned something!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?