News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 25, 2017, 09:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions about sports lessons  (Read 496 times)

Lulubelle

Questions about sports lessons
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »
Background
My DD (13) is going to be practicing with her school's tennis team until August.  Practice will be once a week at a place that one would normally have to be a member to use the facilities.  We are not members.  In August, she will have the opportunity to tryout for the school JV team.  She has played a little, but she is still a beginner.  In order to get some more play in, I have looked into group lessons at the YMCA.  The only group that meets on a day we can attend is an intermediate group.  I spoke with the tennis coach at the Y, and I was told that she could take a private lesson to see what level she is.  He would be able to determine if she can keep up the intermediate group.  She is very keen to play tennis, and I would like to do as much as I can (without being a helicopter mom) to help her. 
End of background

I will be paying the tennis coach at the Y an hourly fee at the rate that is established by the organization.  Should I tip him?  Would it depend on the quality of the lesson? He told me that he wants me to stay for the lesson so that I can learn to assist her with her skill drills between lessons.  I am fine with this, but I'm afraid of stepping in too much.  I'm kind of torn between what is enough and what is too much. 

Redneck Gravy

Re: Questions about sports lessons
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
I took tennis lessons for years, some private and some group - no you do not tip the pro/teacher.  It is nice to give a small gift (money or product) a few times a year or at Christmas but certainly not required. 

I usually did $20 cash a few times a year in a small envelope but also went in on a set of golf clubs for our tennis pro one Christmas and one year I think we gave him a set of really nice towels for his home (post divorce).   

jpcher

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »
The only way you'll be a helicopter mom would be if you butted in and told the instructor he was wrong, or telling your DD "Listen to him, what he said is important, remember that." Don't ask questions for her. Maybe she'll understand but you don't. Ask her later in the car. If she needs an answer she should ask the instructor at the next session.

It's great that the instructor will allow you to sit in. Please sit quietly and pay attention (don't bring bills or chat on your phone.) He wants you there so that you can help your DD.

Ask your DD how she feels about you attending the classes with her. Right now what you're doing is 'enough'. She may not even be in the private classes for all that long, so enjoy it while you can.

These are just some thoughts, many I'm sure you already know. ;)

You're a great mom, Lulubelle, for thinking about these things and asking for thoughts when you're unsure of how to best handle the situation.

Good luck to your DD! ;D

miranova

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
I agree, you do not tip teachers or coaches who are being paid for their time, but if you use them regularly throughout the year, a modest end of year gift is appropriate (but not necessary).

andi

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:13:34 PM »
No tip - you're paying for a service.  I had private music lessons growing up and my son has sports lessons - never tipped. But we do a nice Christmas or eve of season gift

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »
One of the things he will probably want you to know is how to feed her balls.  For example: he may want her to hit 25 forehands, then 25 backhands but doesn't want you feeding her overheads until he has taught her the proper technique so that she doesn't develop bad habits that have to be broken and then retaught.

Or he may want her running a specific drill: forehand, backhand, volley, overhead to work on her footwork and timing.  Not forehand, forehand, overhead and the point is ended.  He will have a reason for wanting things done in a certain order. 

Watching and learning is not helicoptering. 

Lulubelle

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
Thank you for the information.  It has been very helpful.  Redneck Gravy, he mentioned that he would teach me the proper technique during the lesson. I wasn't sure what he meant, but you made that make sense.  Thank you again.
I have a follow up question, should I ask permission to record drills on my phone.  I want to be able to remember exactly what they are supposed to look like so I can help her practice them.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
I would ask first but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to record them.

Enjoy your time together.  My DD2 and I played a little bit together and it wasn't always great but I have some wonderful memories of us spending time together.