News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 01, 2015, 04:47:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proud kitchen moments, anyone? .  (Read 8608 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Proud kitchen moments, anyone? .
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
Cabbage, Pork, and Blackeyed Peas are NYD tradition in my region/family. However, my sis had been visiting for 2 weeks and had been begging for me to make Paella, so I decided to do that (has a pork sausage) blackeyed peas (cooked with a hamhock), and sweet and sour cabbage (cooked with bacon). That morning I learned an additional guest was invited who does not eat pork.

So I made a small serving of the paella without the sausage (it was ok), a portion of the peas cooked in beef broth (was good) and switched the cabbage to something I made up on the spot. I had a couple of links of turkey italian sausage so browned it with some onion, added some diced apple, and shredded cabbage and a little chicken stock. It was seriously some of the best cabbage I've made. All the guests went back for seconds.

Then I realized it was really close to my recipe for cabbage soup, so became less impressed with my efforts. :(

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »
I dislike cooking and I'm not good at it.  But for the first time in my entire life I cooked a Christmas dinner this year.  We had my parents over for dinner and I cooked a Tofurkey with heirloom carrots, roasted yams, broccoli, coleslaw with homemade dressing, that bread you warm up in the oven, and (store-bought) pumpkin pie with Haagen-Daz vanilla ice cream for dessert.  The only thing I had my husband do was cut the veggies because I hate knives.  Dinner turned out GREAT and I was so proud of myself.

CakeBeret

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
I dislike cooking and I'm not good at it.  But for the first time in my entire life I cooked a Christmas dinner this year.  We had my parents over for dinner and I cooked a Tofurkey with heirloom carrots, roasted yams, broccoli, coleslaw with homemade dressing, that bread you warm up in the oven, and (store-bought) pumpkin pie with Haagen-Daz vanilla ice cream for dessert.  The only thing I had my husband do was cut the veggies because I hate knives.  Dinner turned out GREAT and I was so proud of myself.

That sounds delicious! Congrats!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

lilfox

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2015, 12:50:59 AM »
Tarragon is for chicken.  It's pretty good in chicken salad!

Yes, and anything that might ask for fennel or anise.  Tarragon also has a slight licorice flavor.  I make a mushroom salad with sour cream and tarragon.  I love it's Italian name:  Dragoncello.

Ahh, thanks!  That explains the fit with the chicken soup but clashing with the beefy tomato pasta dish.

My other recent kitchen success is finding a lentil and rice recipe that is great for leftovers to take to work and DS just loves it so it's easy for his lunches too.  Unfortunately, for this last batch, I forgot to add salt while it was still cooking and despite the other spices (curry, cumin, etc) it is unbelievably bland.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2015, 03:31:23 AM »
Tarragon is for chicken.  It's pretty good in chicken salad!
last trip to NY i had a bagel with chicken and tarragon salad - t'was excellent!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SDG31000

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »
A couple of years ago my DS's were really into playing WarHammer 40K, so we spent a lot of time in the local shop.  I was asked by the manager to make a cake to celebrate the release of new models.  I don't think he was expecting this-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/89963681@N06/8175764463/

It was HUGE....about 24" by 18" and I was very proud of it, if sick of the sight of fondant by the end of it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »
I just get a Flickr login page when I click the link.

greencat

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »
I managed to cook an entire Thanksgiving's worth of food in a toaster oven and a microwave.  I was only cooking for one, but considering how many leftovers I had, I think I made enough food to feed 4 people.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »
Awesome! I love decorating, but get tired of it about an hour in.

Last night, made what will be our standard hands off dinner. A whole chicken, quartered or halved red potatoes, peeled carrots cut into chunks and an onion, cooked in a large skillet in the oven with herbs and Vermouth. Divine!

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2015, 12:38:12 PM »
I had some pastry left over from christmas so I turned it into a batch of jam tarts and cheese balls today. DH is already halfway through them.