News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 29, 2016, 10:49:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What to do with personalized artwork I can no longer give because of divorce?  (Read 1450 times)

Lady Tempest

OK E-hellions, I need your suggestions.  Back in 2000 a childhood friend of DH got married.  He is one of a group of friends that don't see each other very often, but they are still tight and pick up right where they left off. 
At the time, I did a personalized cross stitch memorializing the marriage. It took about six months to complete.  However, we didn't see the friend again until 10 years later at a birthday party for another one of DH'S group.  At the time, I brought along the cross stitch to give to him, but left it in the car until we'd spoken to him, as we weren't certain as to his continued marital status.  (Let's just say, he had a history).  Sure enough, we found out he had just split from his wife and there was no chance of reconciliation.  So we never gave him the piece.
So my question is, now what do I do with this thing?  It's a piece I'm quite proud of, as it's an original design, and it came out really well; it's also professionally framed.  It's not like I can donate it, and I don't want to just throw it out.  But I don't want to store it forever either.  Please help!  :-\

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
How hard would it be to remove the names and replace them with something else? 

dawnfire

I'd say it would be more time consuming than anything else but it depends on how it is framed

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
I'd say it would be more time consuming than anything else but it depends on how it is framed

Depending on the design, I guess OP could stitch something over the names as well.  It's hard to say without seeing it.

Lady Tempest

I didn't think of that but it might be an idea.  Might be a bit of a challenge, though.  The whole piece is very personal and I created the design from their wedding invitation.  (Also, metallic thread!  >:( )
I wish I could figure out how to add a picture to my post because it occurs to me that actually seeing a picture of it would help!

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Take it out of the frame and put it in a scrapbook of your work?

AnnaT

Does it have a date on it?  No?  Find another Frank and Alice to give it to?...

asb8

Salvage what materials you can, maybe take a photo first for your portfolio. Then toss.

jpcher

Definitely save the frame for your next masterpiece.

Keep the item in your portfolio (do you use actual pieces or just photos? An actual item that is really impressive would be very good to include.)

Yeah, it really stinks when you have something that you are so very proud of and it can't be used for the original intention. I say keep it in your box of treasures and get rid of it when you are ready.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
I think after 16 years or so of storing it, I'd cut my losses and reuse the frame for something else. Does the design allow you to cut it down to remove the personalised bits and keep/reframe a smaller decorative piece you can use yourself or gift elsewhere? Could you cut several greeting cards' worth of pieces from it and set yourself up with enough birthday cards for the year -- albeit perhaps of 'abstract' designs, if cut from a larger whole? They would still be pretty! Or use to make pincushions for a craft fair or donate?
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Lady Tempest

Wow, these are some awesome ideas; thank you everyone!  I was really at a loss because I really don't want to trash it but didn't know what else to do.  Apparently I don't think outside the box very well; never occured to me to remove the personalized side and keep the artwork  ::) which I can do because the design is on the left and the personalized stuff is on the right.

JPCher, in answer to your question, I don't really have a portfolio per se because I've only done a couple of pieces for gifts, the rest are on display at home.  And I have a lot of projects to finish  :-[  Perhaps one of them will suit the African theme of the frame and I can reuse it.

E-hellions to the rescue, thanks!

Gwywnnydd

And I have a lot of projects to finish  :-[  Perhaps one of them will suit the African theme of the frame and I can reuse it.

If not, then a new one will present itself. They do that :).