News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 20, 2017, 03:11:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!  (Read 263897 times)

o_gal

Re: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!
« Reply #1725 on: September 18, 2017, 06:39:14 AM »
Saturday was the Tour De Donut in Ohio. 5 minutes off your time for every donut you eat at the multiple Donut Stops (16 mile race has 1, 32 mile race has 2, 64 mile race has 3.)

On the way to my stop (16 mile route), I started chatting with a fellow rider. We were passed by 2 large grey SUVs and a white van. We were on a 2 lane country road going north, and after they passed us, they then wouldn't pass anyone else, and continued going about 10 MPH behind the next group of riders. There was a double yellow line, but in Ohio you are allowed to pass slower moving vehicles (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.31). They were definitely moving at less than half the posted speed limit, and there were no vehicles coming the opposite direction. They could have frog-hopped to pass groups of riders, because by this point the riders were pretty strung out in groups. And so then my temporary riding partner and I passed them, definitely without exceeding the speed limit  ;D  I think we passed them doing about 20 MPH. We weren't the only ones who passed them.

They weren't official vehicles for the race - they were doing this to get to the first stop so they could hold up motivational signs and ring cowbells for some riders. So since I'm friends with the race director, I found him after the finish to let him know. Hopefully next year he'll come up with a crew map with alternate routes, emphasize that drivers should not impede the other riders just so they can get to a spot to cheer.