Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1426042 times)

Gelliebean

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #6615 on: November 26, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Professional Darwinism before you even get the job:

The task is to write a how-to essay in 30 minutes as a writing sample.  I was calling applicants to schedule a time.

One person never answered and had no voice mail.
One had a voice mail that was full.
One had a phone that was disconnected.
One had, apparently, specifically arranged with their provider that the phone did not accept incoming calls.

Why would you put a phone number on a job application at which you cannot be contacted?

Once I scheduled everybody that I could contact, about half of them sent back a recipe with a bulleted checklist instead of an essay with, you know, full sentences and paragraphs and groovy stuff like that.

The one that took the cake: was 5 and a half hours late; submitted an essay in the wrong file format, which had nothing to do with the writing prompt and was full of highly academic language in direct contrast to the verbiage on the application; and when I googled a random sentence from the essay, I found it was part of a much longer work written by a professor of education in another country.

With all of that, I think what offended me the most was that the applicant removed all the parenthetical citations from the work before submitting it.   :P

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #6616 on: November 26, 2014, 12:15:15 PM »
This happened at my last company before I started working there. Amazingly, the person who caused this to happen wasn't fired, which just solidified in the minds of all workers that the company plays favorites (given that some people are fired when they slip up a tiny bit, and other people can do the below & keep their job).

What did she do? Well, she was an HR person, and she accidentally sent out an email that had an attachment that listed the salary of every. single. person. in the corporate office.

On a similar note, at another previous job, I found out the salary of every single person in my department. What happened was totally not my fault. When my boss was forced out of the company (they eliminated her position because they were planning on selling the company, so they were getting rid of as many expenses as possible, and put my department under someone else), nobody cleaned out her office. I needed the form to submit payment for a freelancer that I had. When I asked an Executive Assistant about it, she told me that it should be in my bosses office, in one of her desk drawers & that I could just get it myself. It didn't occur to me that they wouldn't have cleaned out the confidential stuff (and her old office was always open & accessible). As I was going through looking for the forms I found the sheet with all the salaries.

I didn't know what to do, and I really didn't want to tell HR what I found, so I put it back, and then sent an email to HR asking if/when someone was going to clean out her desk, because of possible confidential information left behind. Someone did it the next day.

Seeing the salaries was an eye-opening experience. It left a nasty taste in my mouth, because some of my coworkers were *really* get screwed. Definitely a lot of favoritism at that company, too.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #6617 on: November 26, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »
This happened at my last company before I started working there. Amazingly, the person who caused this to happen wasn't fired, which just solidified in the minds of all workers that the company plays favorites (given that some people are fired when they slip up a tiny bit, and other people can do the below & keep their job).

What did she do? Well, she was an HR person, and she accidentally sent out an email that had an attachment that listed the salary of every. single. person. in the corporate office.

On a similar note, at another previous job, I found out the salary of every single person in my department. What happened was totally not my fault. When my boss was forced out of the company (they eliminated her position because they were planning on selling the company, so they were getting rid of as many expenses as possible, and put my department under someone else), nobody cleaned out her office. I needed the form to submit payment for a freelancer that I had. When I asked an Executive Assistant about it, she told me that it should be in my bosses office, in one of her desk drawers & that I could just get it myself. It didn't occur to me that they wouldn't have cleaned out the confidential stuff (and her old office was always open & accessible). As I was going through looking for the forms I found the sheet with all the salaries.

I didn't know what to do, and I really didn't want to tell HR what I found, so I put it back, and then sent an email to HR asking if/when someone was going to clean out her desk, because of possible confidential information left behind. Someone did it the next day.

Seeing the salaries was an eye-opening experience. It left a nasty taste in my mouth, because some of my coworkers were *really* get screwed. Definitely a lot of favoritism at that company, too.

Did this happen in Ohio? Something VERY similar happened at a previous workplace.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #6618 on: November 26, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
Noooooo, but the second company that I mentioned does have their home base in Ohio, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened there too - I got the feeling that there is a whole blizzard of entitled snowflakes at the top of that food chain.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #6619 on: November 26, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
Noooooo, but the second company that I mentioned does have their home base in Ohio, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened there too - I got the feeling that there is a whole blizzard of entitled snowflakes at the top of that food chain.

When our company was bought out, the blizzard was fired. Honestly, in a company of less than 300 people, we had almost two dozen VPs, which is a little overboard. I don't even think we had that many departments, and a few of them were multiples (does the contract department consisting of eight people really need two VPs?). I'm fairly certain half of them were made up positions and the company that bought us apparently thought so as well.

This was a few years ago, mid to late 90's. I can't tell you how much fun it was to teach these retired military men how to use blackberrys.

We did have one female VP. I can't remember her name, but it was probably "Token". Her title was "VP of Facilities", which meant she was the office manager, but her only employee was titled "Office Manager" and did all of the work. Token mostly stood around and looked professional during conferences so we could brag about how progressive we were, risking cooties by having a girl with her own office nearby.

I swear, I sound bitter but I'm not. It was a great job for my place in life at the time, and I'd probably still be there if we hadn't been bought out. Military contractors are a definite boy's club though.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

SoCalVal

« Reply #6620 on: November 26, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »

When our company was bought out, the blizzard was fired. Honestly, in a company of less than 300 people, we had almost two dozen VPs, which is a little overboard. I don't even think we had that many departments, and a few of them were multiples (does the contract department consisting of eight people really need two VPs?). I'm fairly certain half of them were made up positions and the company that bought us apparently thought so as well.

This was a few years ago, mid to late 90's. I can't tell you how much fun it was to teach these retired military men how to use blackberrys.

We did have one female VP. I can't remember her name, but it was probably "Token". Her title was "VP of Facilities", which meant she was the office manager, but her only employee was titled "Office Manager" and did all of the work. Token mostly stood around and looked professional during conferences so we could brag about how progressive we were, risking cooties by having a girl with her own office nearby.

I swear, I sound bitter but I'm not. It was a great job for my place in life at the time, and I'd probably still be there if we hadn't been bought out. Military contractors are a definite boy's club though.

Commercial real estate's also mostly one ethnicity/one gender and, until the last 15-20 years or so, quite elitist so you couldn't even get your foot in the door unless a) you were already wealthy and b) you knew someone who would give you a shot.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #6621 on: Yesterday at 01:53:36 AM »
Not sure if this is going to turn into PD or not, but still very unlucky.

Coworker1 goes for job interview. Interviewer turns out to be the spouse of Coworker2. Coworker1 was trying to keep her job hunting on the sly. Whoopsy....
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6622 on: Yesterday at 02:28:22 AM »
If it does turn into PD, then it's a good thing CW1 is moving on.  From both the company and CW2

Margo

« Reply #6623 on: Yesterday at 06:43:30 AM »
Not sure if this is going to turn into PD or not, but still very unlucky.

Coworker1 goes for job interview. Interviewer turns out to be the spouse of Coworker2. Coworker1 was trying to keep her job hunting on the sly. Whoopsy....

I'd see that as bad luck, not PD, unless of course CW1 went for the interview while calling in sick.
CW2's spouse should surely not be discussing applicants with their spouse and CW2 should not say anything about it at work (again, unless CW1 had lied about being sick, or otherwise behaved badly in relation to the application)

TBH, if CW2 gossiped about this then I would see that as more of an issue for them than for CW1.