News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 25, 2016, 02:09:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O: Hardest Thing... - Hardest Job  (Read 911 times)

Outdoor Girl

S/O: Hardest Thing... - Hardest Job
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:44:26 AM »
The 'Hardest Thing You've Ever Done Thing' got me thinking about what the hardest jobs are.  I'm sure it is different for everyone but for me?  I think being a hospice worker, in whatever capacity, has to be one of the most difficult jobs to have.  Knowing that the person you are caring for is going to die sooner than later but maintaining a good disposition and keeping them as comfortable as possible has to be one of the most difficult things there is.

A close second for me would be a child care worker.  Yes, there is the joy of working with children but the little darlings would wear me out so much, I'd have to sleep for a week after each day of work!

What job(s) would you consider the hardest one to do?
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: S/O: Hardest Thing... - Hardest Job
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 08:13:17 AM »
The hardest job I have done was as a 411 operator, where I did not know if my next call was going to be a normal one or a profanity/innuendo laden one. Half the time, the normal ones did not have the name of the business they wanted and would hang up or get mad.

The hardest jobs I can think of (in no particular order):
Janitorial
Military on deployment
Hospital/hospice/nursing home staff
First responders - police, fire, ambulance
Medical Examiners office staff
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:15:19 AM »
I know a number of 911 dispatchers.  That's not an easy job, either.

And teachers!  No way could I handle a class full of teenagers every day.  Not without copious amounts of alcohol or medication...  ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Roodabega

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »
For me, my hardest job was working on a dairy farm as a teen.  Working with the cows wasn't too bad, but I am extremely allergic to hay (didn't know how bad it was at the time).   Worked with the cows for about a week before we hit the fields for the hay. (surprisingly I was only minorly affected in the barn)   

I spent the whole day we were loading hay bales with my eyes running constantly, my nose running constantly, my body in a drenching sweat, and wheezing.  The day out in the field was my last day working for the farmer.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »
The hardest job was actually working at a fancy pre-k. The woman who ran the school was really mean and intimidating and the entire staff was afraid of her and always on edge. It created a really toxic environment. She had weird rules and one of them was that she didn't want the staff to be friends (seriously!) so everyone was very standoffish of each other and she singled out this one teacher's aid to be horrible to all the time. We were also very understaffed so I sometimes couldn't even use the bathroom when I needed to because the children would have been left unsupervised. She paid us by the hour and would send people home as soon as the kids started to get picked up so there was never a lighter or easier part of the day because we would only ever have the legal minimum of staff on the premises.

Right before I left, one of the teachers who had worked at the school for five years, had a family tragedy on a Thursday night. She came into work on Friday and was a wreck, a few of us encouraged her to go home and be with her family but she said that the owner would either not let her take the day off or hold a grudge against her for asking for it so she was too afraid to ask. I had previously thought that I was just having a rough time because I was new but when I realized that a veteran teacher would be treated so badly, I knew I would not stay there.

sandisadie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
From personal experience I think the hardest job a person can have is one that you grow to hate (for a variety of reasons) but feel that you have no choice but to continue to work at it.  Maybe it's because your husband isn't doing so good providing the basics for the family.  Or the job market where you live is in the tank.  Or your skills won't allow you to get a better job, or one more suited to you.  Sometimes it could be that you are not treated right on the job but need to put up with whatever the problem is because not having that paycheck will spell disaster for you.

guihong

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »
The hardest job I've had wasn't so much the job (I was an office worker for a landscaper, but got the job through a temporary agency) but the situations he put me in.  I was the only other employee besides him in this small building or trailer.  He insisted on hanging up pictures of pretty bare girls posing with power tools, and worse.  This was way back, so young and dumb me didn't know anything of "hostile work conditions" and such.  He was horrifically behind on bills, so I was fending off creditors and suppliers dunning him for payment.  He put me in charge of organizing the office/trailer, which I did love but it was an awful mess.  The last straw came when there was a windstorm.  A client of his way overstated the damages done to his property to the insurance company, so he could take the excess and pay for his landscaping  :o.  My boss wanted me to sign some papers with this overstatement on it, but I refused.  He and the client were furious with me because I was holding up the work.  I went to the agency and told them the story, and yep, that was my last day and his company didn't last much longer once the AG got involved ;).

miredrose326

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
The hardest jobs that I have had:

Mom (specifically single mom of teenagers)
Active duty Navy
Navy wife
Corn detasseling
My beautiful babies 

VorFemme

• I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 02:15:39 PM »
Heat exhaustion from working in the family garden (I did like the food - but it was *hot* in the Texas Panhandle and the garden was large).

Plucking chickens after Dad beheaded them & then dipped them in boiling water to "loosen the feathers".  At least I didn't have to help Mom gut them.

The good smell of cooking chicken is inversely related to the smell of getting the animal cleaned & ready to cook.  Seriously, it is really bad...

As an adult, working for a car insurance company and listening to or reading about car accidents all day - sometimes you just couldn't help the person Reasons included but were not limited to: they didn't have the correct coverage on their policy to get their vehicle fixed based on what happened (no theft coverage - called "comprehensive" in a policy); they didn't have medical coverage enough to cover what had happened (minimum coverage & really bad accident); or the person who hit them had presented false papers & there was no insurance coverage for the accident...not from the other person who caused the accident and not on their own policy as they hadn't paid for the extra "uninsured/under-insured" coverage.   

And I no longer dream that I'm in a car accident every night...which was a huge relief a few days after I no longer worked there.  I was getting a lot more rest from the same amount of sleep...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

lilfox

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 02:41:30 PM »
I've never held what I would consider a truly difficult job, since they were mostly office jobs and rarely customer facing.

The hardest jobs, to me, would be the ones that require non-stop empathy and very low pay.  Hospice, nursing home, social work, outreach programs, fostering children, charity work.  Anything that causes your heart and soul to burn out before your body does, that's the hardest in my book.

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
For me it was mentally exhausting and pushed me to a mental breakdown, working as the office manager for a company that had no working owner. The owner was diagnosed with early onset dementia about four years after I started. He was very good to me and a wonderful man, so I was determined to keep his business running. However the crew was awful, unreliable, messy, fighting all the time (grown men, old enough to be my father...bickering and wanting me to play interference). The owners family were out of touch and were just like "Keep doing what you're doing!". When I decided to finally leave, gave them long advance notice, since I had to move out of town as well...they melted down and begged me to stay so they could get the business sold. Only it's a garbage dumpster business and the crew wasn't even working full time for over 3 years, the owners hadn't taken a paycheck in 5 years at that point.

The only way I could escape the circle of abuse to myself was to block everyone's number from my phone and then even a few months after that I got a text (stupid phone!!) asking if I wanted to do some freelance work for them -.- I ignored it because I was finally out of my depression and back from the ledge, no way was I going towards that again. That was the hardest to deal with on all levels because I was juggling the owners jobs and my own, the only thing I couldn't do was physically build what was being manufactured.

And the owner's kid who was supposed to take over the front office duties was a diagnosed alcoholic who was prone to coming in reeking of drink and started having seizers due to trying to detox himself :(

It's what I'm good at and love but it was devastating on a personal level because the company itself was a shambles. They had me over a barrel too because I didn't know how I'd escape and explain why I was leaving after 10 years. I got that question often and thankfully could somewhat sweep it under the "I'm relocating" that wasn't enough for a lot of folks though.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 07:47:28 PM »
Any job where I have to work with the public is a hard one for me.  I do my best work in a room by myself, which is one reason why I did so well with medical transcription.  I put in two years as a medical clinic receptionist, a job I detested, but there was one good thing about this job:  I had an excellent boss.  He not only had everyone's back, he made it very clear to other hospital providers and patients that there would be no mistreatment of his subordinates.  He also made sure his subordinates were doing the best they could at their jobs.  He was also an outstanding physical therapist, and was the local expert on back care.  He and one of my co-workers who had an engineering degree revamped my work station, which was very badly designed, and he taught me some exercises to treat the sciatica I got from the badly-designed work station.  While I really didn't like the job, I liked and respected my boss, which made the whole situation much more tolerable. 

MrTango

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »
For me, the hardest job was definitely 911 Dispatcher.

I've been a security guard and an EMT, and for me the hardest thing about being the dispatcher was not being able to actually be at the scene and do something.

Roodabega

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 08:23:04 AM »

Plucking chickens after Dad beheaded them & then dipped them in boiling water to "loosen the feathers".  At least I didn't have to help Mom gut them.

The good smell of cooking chicken is inversely related to the smell of getting the animal cleaned & ready to cook.  Seriously, it is really bad...

Dang.  I had hidden that memory in the deep recesses of my mind.  Getting all of the pinfeathers off was awful, and like you said, the smell was indescribably bad.

VorFemme

• I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »

Dang.  I had hidden that memory in the deep recesses of my mind.  Getting all of the pinfeathers off was awful, and like you said, the smell was indescribably bad.

For those of you who cannot imagine it - skunk smells "better".  It is a big part the smell I imagine when the smell of a battlefield full of the dead is mentioned (historical fiction or whatever) - even if it might be the wrong species and a real battlefield could *possibly* smell worse (gunpowder smoke would add something to a battlefield after the invention of cannons & guns) - I can't imagine something worse without experiencing "something worse".

Yes, I have used outhouses and the modern plastic alternative, the Porta-Potty.  The Porta-Potties smell better than the inside of a dead chicken...at least as long as they're getting emptied on a regular basis.  An outhouse, on the other hand, does not smell much better, I will admit, but there is an edge to a dead chicken's innards that isn't present in an outhouse...especially if there's been quicklime or other substances used to cut down on the smell...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?