Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 310812 times)

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
I had a friend that was throwing out two week old refrigerated apples. I asked her what the heck she was doing and she told me they were "too old"  to eat now. I totally blew her mind when I told her store bought apples are usually already at least a year old  sometimes nearly two years old. Two weeks in a home refrigerator is not going to make them go anymore bad.

Not sure I would've known exactly how old the produce was before it got to me. Was she throwing them out because they didn't look good to her anymore, or because of some arbitrary two-week threshold she'd picked up somewhere? If the former, I don't see anything wrong with that. I live alone, so if I know I'm not going to eat something, I get rid of it. Like milk past the date on the carton--intellectually I know it's just the sell-by date, not the "milk turns into poison" date, but I know I'm not going to drink it past that date, so I might as well pour it down the drain.

It was just a time range she picked out. I could totally see if she left them in a bowl in the counter and they started going soft and mushy.

I frequently ignore sell by dates. My rule of thumb is it depends on what it is, and how does it look/smell? i have a bottle of Siracha in my fridge i just opened. even though the sell by date was in July. It looks fine, and smells and tastes fine. So until it really goes off, I'm using it.

things like milk and yogurt, I go by the smell/taste test. I opened milk i bought a week ago the other day, a day past the sell by date. it smells and tastes fine.

I do recall my mom though, who would throw out tuna salad she had made the next day if not eaten, and I always thought that was the case. Nope, just her quirk.

Thing is, there's three sorts of date:
Sell By
Best Before
Use By

Sell By is something that is (often) used by stores to help with inventory and doesn't/shouldn't have any impact on the article concerned.

Best Before is the date at which the item will (likely) start to be noticably less-than-fresh.

Use By is when something will (likely) expire.

The first two can generally and safely be ignored as they're for guidance. The last one, though, is one you ought to pay a bit more attention to, particularly if it's on a dairy/meat item.

And all of the above should be applied with a judicious amount of common sense - if it looks like you might be able to develop a new antibiotic from it, it's probably not a good idea to eat it!

Margo

A friend in high school was in a very bad car accident and broke his neck. We teens all thought that automatically meant he was going to die. Instead, due to the nature of the break, he was back at school a year later and graduated with the class. Walking.

I can see how people who may have known someone who made a miraculous recovery would post hopes that another would as well.

I personally know three people who have had severe neck breaks that not only survived, but also regained the ability to walk. One was in a car accident, one a horse jump accident, and one got hit by a falling tree. Granted all of them had extremely long recoveries and intensive physical therapy for a very long time.  A neck break doesn't always mean paralysis /death.

My cousin broke his neck last year. He was in hospital for a short while (less than a week) and had a neck brace for several months, but didn't have any paralysis (even temporarily) and made a full recovery. He was only in hospital as long as he was because he was overseas when it happened, and between travel insurance, needing a medical evacuation, and the need to get help **fast** if anything changed, and his not speaking much of the local language, they didn't think sending him back to an hotel was wise.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
A friend in high school was in a very bad car accident and broke his neck. We teens all thought that automatically meant he was going to die. Instead, due to the nature of the break, he was back at school a year later and graduated with the class. Walking.

I can see how people who may have known someone who made a miraculous recovery would post hopes that another would as well.

Yep, I met a man yesterday while at the hospital to visit my sister. He broke his back and a second break in his neck 3 to 4 months ago. He's being released from the hospital Friday and his walking with a walker. They expect an almost full recovery.

perpetua

I personally know three people who have had severe neck breaks that not only survived, but also regained the ability to walk. One was in a car accident, one a horse jump accident, and one got hit by a falling tree. Granted all of them had extremely long recoveries and intensive physical therapy for a very long time.  A neck break doesn't always mean paralysis /death.

My cousin broke his neck last year. He was in hospital for a short while (less than a week) and had a neck brace for several months, but didn't have any paralysis (even temporarily) and made a full recovery. He was only in hospital as long as he was because he was overseas when it happened, and between travel insurance, needing a medical evacuation, and the need to get help **fast** if anything changed, and his not speaking much of the local language, they didn't think sending him back to an hotel was wise.

Excellent, glad he made a recovery.

The guy in the story, however: he was already paralysed when the ride stopped and he's on life support. The description of his injury is a bit too graphic for here - freely available with a google search, I'd imagine - but it doesn't sound good.

Chipmunky

When the sign says "buy one get one free, assorted varieties," it doesn't matter which two you pick, one will be free- I had to explain that to my college roommate our freshman year...she was upset because she wanted to try two kinds of diet brand cereal (one had strawberries, the other had something else for flavor) but was concerned she wouldn't like one of them and she'd have paid for a box of cereal that she didn't want. It took 10 minutes to get it through to her that she could consider the one she didn't like as the "freebie" and foist it off on another girl in the dorms...

She was a pre-pharmacy/biology major at the time.....

Another one: There is more than one entity using the acronym, SEC.

Same gal. I'll partially forgive her, because her family is European and do not follow American Football. I spent an afternoon explaining American football to her, and how our school was part of the South Eastern Conference. She picked it up fairly quickly, all things considered, and wowed her date with her knowledge the following weekend. Fast forward a few weeks, and Kenneth Lay of Enron drops dead. I'm annoyed that he died and thus avoided prison, and eventually end up explaining the Enron mess to roommate (she didn't read many newspapers  ::)).

I got to the point where I said "and then the SEC got involved..." and she jumped in, stating "Chipmunky, I'm ditzy, but I'm not THAT STUPID- Even I KNOW that Football has nothing to do with Wall Street."

??? :o :o ::)

I had to tell her I was so proud of her for remembering our conference acronym, but that there was another SEC, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and yes, they did have something to do with Wall Street.

She was a total sweetie, but man...sometimes I wondered how she survived life...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Yes, there really is a Sheriff of Nottingham.
Well, there *was*. The closest thing now would be the High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire. And it's a ceremonial title, these guys are not law enforcement officers.

When I was a kid I was hanging out in a park in I think Baltimore while my dad did some work thing at the local University. I ended up chatting to a kid about my age (12) who, on finding out I was British, asked if I lived in a castle. Also if we had TV over there.

Ugh. That reminds me of when we had an exchange student from Finland visit my jr. high social studies class. The kids asked questions like, Do you have electricity and Do you have running water:o

I remember we had a Dutch foreign exchange student on the cross country team and one guy asked him "So what are you called if you're from Holland? Hollish?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

katycoo

A friend moved to Austria for school a year ago. You would not believe the number of people who have asked her if she's going to see kangaroos and koalas, or wants them to "put another shrimp on the barbie" and that sort of thing. And when she points out that, no, Austria is quite different from Australia, it isn't even that people misheard/misunderstood. It's that most of them didn't realize there was a country called Austria in the first place.  ???
Many years ago my sister worked as a nanny in Florida. Quite often people would tell her her English was great, considering she was Australian.

My mother got that quite a bit when we moved to California in the mid 80s.  I think it's less likely to be a problem these days.

nutraxfornerves

Another one: There is more than one entity using the acronym, SEC.

Mr. Nutrax passed away last year. When I went through his papers, I found some old appointment calendars from when he had been chief of staff to an elected official. The calendars recorded frequent AA meetings. I was astonished. I never knew.

Then I realized what it was. Nowadays that position is usually called "chief of staff," but back then, an elected official's #1 staff person was the Administrative Assistant or AA.

Those meetings had nothing to do with alcohol and everything to do with staffers getting together to coordinate their bosses' efforts.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
How about this one for my son's art teacher: Parents aren't really going to be terribly impressed when your email to them about your child's missing assignments is misspelled for one and simply says "Please review missign assignmemts for this markign period".  No indication as to which child he's referring to. (any other email correspondence I've ever gotten from teachers of this school always identified the subject they teach, and the child they're referring to.)

It wasn't even signed "Mr. S".  Just struck me as rather unprofessional, honestly. I then went online to the grade book (available online for parents and children to see) and oh lordy, almost the whole description of a missing assignment was misspelled and hard to read. 

Dh agreed I should bring it up to someone, but I don't know how or to whom I should address such concerns. I'm not sure if I should, but it rubbed me the wrong way.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
How about this one for my son's art teacher: Parents aren't really going to be terribly impressed when your email to them about your child's missing assignments is misspelled for one and simply says "Please review missign assignmemts for this markign period".  No indication as to which child he's referring to. (any other email correspondence I've ever gotten from teachers of this school always identified the subject they teach, and the child they're referring to.)

It wasn't even signed "Mr. S".  Just struck me as rather unprofessional, honestly. I then went online to the grade book (available online for parents and children to see) and oh lordy, almost the whole description of a missing assignment was misspelled and hard to read. 

Dh agreed I should bring it up to someone, but I don't know how or to whom I should address such concerns. I'm not sure if I should, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

I called the principal when we received an email from the high school counselor. Not only was the entire email list in To: instead of CC:, so now all 500 other parents have my email address, which was not something I consented to, but there was a misspelling in the subject line and the entire email was in 16 pt papyrus font.

I cringed when I received it. I actually thought it was a student prank or something, but when I called the principal I found out it was legitimate.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.