News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 03, 2016, 01:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 2360366 times)

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #9750 on: Today at 10:33:13 AM »
We saw the R&J scene in 1999-ish English class, but my teacher asked the class a well-timed question right around the time of the blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene (as I recall) and most students missed it. Those who saw it weren't particularly scandalized.

I may have mentioned this before, but one of only two 'professional darwinism' incidents I remember from a teacher was more of a slow burn. She did get banned immediately from teaching "gifted" kids ever again because she wasn't capable (poor non-gifted kids!!). Our sixth-grade Writing and Reading and homeroom teacher, Ms. K, did all of the following:

-- Told a friend that if she told her mom anything else about Ms. K, she'd fail her (friend reported this 20+ years later; she was too scared to admit at the time -- they'd had a meeting the day before with Ms. K that had not gone well for Ms. K)

-- Told other students that they'd be expelled if they complained about her

-- Screamed at the class every day about how incompetent we were. I had her for my last 3 periods of the day, and I came home and cried and cried to my mom every day about how miserable it was, but then begged her not to say anything to the administration because I "knew" she failed or expelled kids whose parents complained.

-- A kid asked her if she would look like a "hot tamale" after she warned us that she'd be taking 2 weeks off for cosmetic surgery and a chemical peel and would come back looking very different. Insensitive, yes, but she managed to get him in-school suspension for 'assaulting' her or something; she left the class after the question and didn't come back for the day.

-- Let her eighth-grader daughter skip class 2-3 periods a day (that I knew about) to hang out in the back of her class and do nothing.

-- Made us administer 'peer spelling tests' where one 6th-grader paired with another in some corner of the room or a hallway to 'test' each other (read: share the list) on spelling for an entire class period every week.

-- Said, "Never ask me about spelling. I know nothing because my mom was deaf. You all have no excuse." Oh, so that's why we're spending a full class period a week on spelling?

-- Believed a classmate when he told her she was mispronouncing "gerund"; she said it as "gruen" for the rest of the year.

-- Accused me of cheating on a project after she told me to share my project idea with another kid because it was good and done early, and then the kid presented his copied project before me. She regularly accused students of cheating without grounds (but never on those peer spelling tests!) and didn't end up punishing them because she couldn't prove it.

3-5 years later, she left the school. I'm surprised it took that long. I did just look her up, and she's teaching elsewhere.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #9751 on: Today at 10:58:42 AM »
One from a freelancer group I am part of.

Our subject (a writer) sent in several written work samples to an editor's call and was commissioned for thirty articles. The articles were submitted remarkably fast, and the slightly suspicious editor shared them with pre-readers. One of the readers thought these looked familiar... 5 minutes with google, and yes all the articles were plagarised: copy-and-pasted from other sites, several of which are large sites using copyscape.

The articles have been removed, and the editor is after their money back. Our subject is very unlikely to ever write again considering just how many people know what they did.

Twik

« Reply #9752 on: Today at 11:40:38 AM »
We saw the R&J scene in 1999-ish English class, but my teacher asked the class a well-timed question right around the time of the blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene (as I recall) and most students missed it. Those who saw it weren't particularly scandalized.

I may have mentioned this before, but one of only two 'professional darwinism' incidents I remember from a teacher was more of a slow burn. She did get banned immediately from teaching "gifted" kids ever again because she wasn't capable (poor non-gifted kids!!). Our sixth-grade Writing and Reading and homeroom teacher, Ms. K, did all of the following: ...

This doesn't surprise me. There's something about the teaching system that seems to drive good teachers out, while leaving some so unstable that they would be impossible for adults to work with, let alone small children. I don't know whether it's pity, or a reluctance for administrators to admit they have a bad egg in their school, or whether these people somehow have blackmail material on all the bigwigs. But I've seen good people passed over for teaching, and seen (and experienced) some truly disturbing teachers who hang on year after year.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #9753 on: Today at 12:36:16 PM »

This doesn't surprise me. There's something about the teaching system that seems to drive good teachers out, while leaving some so unstable that they would be impossible for adults to work with, let alone small children. I don't know whether it's pity, or a reluctance for administrators to admit they have a bad egg in their school, or whether these people somehow have blackmail material on all the bigwigs. But I've seen good people passed over for teaching, and seen (and experienced) some truly disturbing teachers who hang on year after year.
[/quote]

In the fifties and sixties, nursing and teaching were practically the only professional open to educated women, so both got the benefit of women who were in the top quintiles of intelligence and academic achievement. As more (and more lucrative) professions opened to women, and the cost of college education rose, unless they were very attracted to teaching, they opted for more remunerative careers (and many who would have been nurses became doctors). Now, with the issues that teacher accountability, micromanaging how to teach, and the teach to the test regimen that education has become, together with falling pay and shrinking pensions, it is a wonder that there are still people willing to teach, and schools are hard pressed to find basically qualified people for the classrooms. I feel for the good teachers still in the profession, and there are many.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9754 on: Today at 12:46:04 PM »
I don't want this thread to turn to equal pay scales, but I know a lot of teachers and their pay rate is on par with private industry for longevity and education levels.

PD: Our soon to be former office manager has called out two days of her last week of work and is phoning in the rest. Barely functioning. She has left early every day for two weeks that she was in, and is still taking breaks and lunches, so not skipping lunch to leave early. I think she has forgotten her work and reputation here will follow her to her new job with a different department of the same organization.

Guess who gets to take on one of her responsibilities? Yours truly.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

TeamBhakta

« Reply #9755 on: Today at 01:44:19 PM »
We've had two separate violent, tragic, unrelated incidents happen in my area today, which have necessitated lockdowns of numerous schools & some other buildings. A news reporter said parents wanting to get their kids out of the school probably feel "amused" yet disturbed our area has made the news so much today & experienced these tragedies. Pretty sure "amused" would not be the right word, especially since at least two children in the locked down schools are about to learn that *death warning* their father killed their mother & their father took his own life>:(
« Last Edit: Today at 01:48:19 PM by TeamBhakta »

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9756 on: Today at 01:47:03 PM »
^ We've had a rash of that type of incident lately. I'm sorry.  :(
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chipmunky

« Reply #9757 on: Today at 01:47:10 PM »
Have to quietly ask TopGun and SuperStar to check the files before this becomes more PD for SweetPea....

In our line of work/practice, when we receive initial investigation reports, there's supposed to be a file accompanying the report/complaint, with any and all related information (ie, CVs, any product test reports or studies openly available, emails, etc). I've a complaint where I didn't have any of that stuff, (which does happen on occasion), and went to the witness interview.

Where I discovered EVERYONE else (federal counterparts, counterparts in other states) have this file. Either we never received it the way we were supposed to, or someone failed to scan it in electronically and note it into our system (since I'm in a satellite office, I'll rarely see the master report and support file).

It's part of SweetPea's job to scan in and note these things. Checking the online notation system, she's the one listed as having scanned in the complaint report, along with the cover letter and mailing envelope, so unless we are the ONLY ones who didn't receive it, SweetPea just forgot/deliberately didn't do it and just stuck the support documents in the master file.

We had a situation a few years ago where another assistant deliberately failed to notate things for several months, and just stuck materials haphazardly in different files (yes, she was asked to seek work elsewhere, but it wasn't till after she left that this activity was discovered).  It took Awesome Paralegal, SuperStar, Pita, and SugarGirl upwards of 4 months to get the files straightened out and corrected- I cannot see Awesome Paralegal being happy to learn the same behavior is starting again.

In the interim, I've asked TopGun and SuperStar to check the main case file to determine if the hard copy is in fact in there- if it isn't, no harm no foul. If it is, SweetPea will have some explaining to do...