News:

• April 20, 2018, 04:35:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: December Holidays 2017 (including New Year's Day)  (Read 1761 times)

Hmmmmm

Re: December Holidays 2017 (including New Year's Day)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 11:30:04 AM »
Christmas Eve - 6 of us
Tamales
Queso
Corn and Zucchini salad
Christmas cookies & bars

Christmas morning - 4 of us
Cinnamon rolls

Christmas "brunch" - 9
Deviled eggs
Oysters on the half shell & grilled oysters
Assorted dips and spreads
Bloody Mary's & Poinsettia cocktails

Christmas Dinner- 14
Pecan blue cheese green salad
NY Strip Loin with horseradish sauce
Roasted garlic potatoes
Broccoli Souffle
Praline Chiffon Cake

KimberlyM

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
Christmas eve my in-laws are coming. I'm making a turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, rolls and a veggie of some kind.  I bought frozen pies (apple, pumpkin, turtle and chocolate cream) because I'm still exhausted from cooking Thanksgiving and I just don't have it in me to make pies too.

Christmas day I'm making a prime rib and twice baked potatoes and some kind of veggie.  I'm still working on breakfast, but I'm thinking a breakfast casserole and cinnamon rolls.  I'll probably make some biscotti Thursday or Friday too for snacking/breakfasts. 

My husband usually makes us crab cakes for NYE.

L

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »
Ooh, fun holiday thread. Here are my menus:

Christmas Eve Breakfast 2017
Croissant
Herb Omelet
Bacon
Breakfast Banana Split

Christmas Eve Dinner 2017
Dinner Roll
Mosiac Salad
Crockpot Mushrooms
Roasted Endives with Thyme
Dover Sole Meunière
Winter Fruits with Flavored Oil & Vinegar

Christmas Morning Breakfast 2017
Fried Potatoes & Onions
Melon
Toast
Bacon & Sausage
Cilbir
Bloody Mary (Virgin)

Christmas Dinner 2017
Champagne
Shrimp Cocktail
Caesar Salad
T-Bone Steak (Grilled)
Steamed Artichoke
Garlic Bread
Apple or Cherry Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream

New Year's Eve Dinner 2017
Raw Artichoke and Parmigiano Salad
Linguine with Clams

New Year's Day Breakfast 2018: Grazing
Cinnamon Roll
Melon
Breakfast Nachos  (chips, beans, scrambled eggs with veggies, cheese, bacon, green onions, lettuce, tomato, olives, salsa, yogurt, sliced avocado)

New Year's Day Lunch & Dinner 2018
Selection of Trader Joe’s appetizers
Green Salad
Steamed Green Beans

You know what they say about the best laid plans. Due to the Thomas Fire in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, these plans went out the window with the evacuations. Instead, I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and stocked up on frozen food--and probably a frozen pizza is going to serve for Christmas dinner and other frozen foods for the other meals. I am too tired and worn out to consider cooking much if anything. Maybe by New Year's Eve? But there's always next year ...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:20:17 PM by L »

siamesecat2965

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »
Ooh, fun holiday thread. Here are my menus:

Christmas Eve Breakfast 2017
Croissant
Herb Omelet
Bacon
Breakfast Banana Split

Christmas Eve Dinner 2017
Dinner Roll
Mosiac Salad
Crockpot Mushrooms
Roasted Endives with Thyme
Dover Sole Meunière
Winter Fruits with Flavored Oil & Vinegar

Christmas Morning Breakfast 2017
Fried Potatoes & Onions
Melon
Toast
Bacon & Sausage
Cilbir
Bloody Mary (Virgin)

Christmas Dinner 2017
Champagne
Shrimp Cocktail
Caesar Salad
T-Bone Steak (Grilled)
Steamed Artichoke
Garlic Bread
Apple or Cherry Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream

New Year's Eve Dinner 2017
Raw Artichoke and Parmigiano Salad
Linguine with Clams

New Year's Day Breakfast 2018: Grazing
Cinnamon Roll
Melon
Breakfast Nachos  (chips, beans, scrambled eggs with veggies, cheese, bacon, green onions, lettuce, tomato, olives, salsa, yogurt, sliced avocado)

New Year's Day Lunch & Dinner 2018
Selection of Trader Joe’s appetizers
Green Salad
Steamed Green Beans

You know what they say about the best laid plans. Due to the Thomas Fire in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, these plans went out the window with the evacuations. Instead, I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and stocked up on frozen food--and probably a frozen pizza is going to serve for Christmas dinner and other frozen foods for the other meals. I am too tired and worn out to consider cooking much if anything. Maybe by New Year's Eve? But there's always next year ...

Nothing wrong with that at all. Do what works best for you. Trader Joes is my go-to for frozen appys. They have a new one this year, a shrimp and salmon combo, salmon pinwheels, shrimp toast and some kind of shrimp mini egg roll thingy. SOOOO good.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
We go to my mother's for Christmas Eve dinner, which is our big holiday meal.  BeagleBoy does the majority of the cooking with Mom as sous chef now.  I refer to this as our "beige" meal because the majority of the food is in that color group:

Fried fish
Paella (BB added this last year)
Potatoes with butter and onions
Cabbage
Fettucini Alfredo (added for the picky eater)
Corn
Peas
Mom's homemade bread
Mom's homemade cookies and poppy seed roll
Egg Nog cream puffs (BB is attempting these for the first time - fingers crossed)

Christmas Day Breakfast
Baked ham
Mom's homemade bread (she gives everyone several loaves)

Christmas dinner:
Leftovers

New Year's Eve
A variety of appetizers and desserts

New Year's Day is the "Day O'Pork" (supposedly brings good luck for the new year)
Bacon for Breakfast with pastries
Ham sandwiches for lunch
Pork roast with carrots and roasted potatoes for dinner

POF

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
This is so interesting !

Christmas Eve - just the 4 of us

Take Out Chinese

Christmas AM

Sausage Gravy, Overnight Yeasted Waffles, Spiced Apples, Home Fries and Eggs. Maybe biscuits and some bacon .....

Christmas Dinner - 13 of us  ( 4 vegetarians and 2 folks who prefer vegetarian food but do eat meat )

Starters: Taco Dip w/ meat and one without met  (doesn't go with dinner but is a TRADITION ) 
                    Spinach dip with crudite

Entree:  Lasagna Bolognese, Veggie Lasagna w/ bechamel sauce, and homemade cheese manicotti.
                  Sides; Garlic bread, antipasto salad ( served on a large platter and one side is meat free ), roasted broccoli
                   Dessert - cookies !

NYE - steamed shrimp, dips, homemade pizza - just the 2 of us. 

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »
This will be the first Christmas that Mrs.k2002 and I will be by ourselves. My oldest is staying in Reno to celebrate with his GF's family (they came down for T'giving.) My younger son and his mom are visiting his aunt in Hawai'i. Mrs.k2002's eldest is traveling to Israel with her family. The middle son hasn't been seen in years -- lives in the back of beyond in Alaska. The younger son lives in IL and they can't afford to travel.

It's going to be very low key for us. A nice dinner on the 24th, probably salmon Wellington and then the 25th will be small bites, cheeses, charcuterie. We got ourselves the Lego Disney castle and we'll put it together. We'll watch our traditional Christmas Eve film -- the Thin Man. We watch the whole set between Christmas and New Years. Not sure what else will happen NYE -- probably another nice dinner.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

crella

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »
DH is away the 23rd and 24th, but he'll make it home for dinner on the 24th. The 25th is a regular work day, so Christmas is low key this year. I am thinking of making a Sacher torte for dessert on Christmas Eve, and am waffling between steak and roast beef, both of which require a Costco run!  :D

For New Year's Eve I am having a cheese and dried fruit tray, pates, spiced mixed nuts, some lovely bubbly and cookies (DS and family won't be here for Christmas, so their cookies are in the freezer for when they get here), after meatloaf for dinner  :D Meat loaf is uncommon in Japan, and the grandkids love it, so meat loaf for dinner it is. It cracks me up every time...I made it once when I first got married and brought it to the in-laws' for New Years as I didn't know how to make much else, and because it requires a lot of meat (expensive here) they were pleased with the 'zeitaku' (luxurious)addition to the menu....meatloaf....anyway, everyone loves it, so here comes a giant 1-kg meatloaf on New Year's Eve :D

New Year's day is traditional Osechi foods for breakfast, then sukiyaki for dinner.