News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 19, 2017, 01:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SO of DECLUTTERING - What To Do With Old CDs?  (Read 888 times)

JustCallMePat

SO of DECLUTTERING - What To Do With Old CDs?
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
I recently inherited a CD collection from a relative who passed. He was quite the music fan, but much of it is from an earlier era than I generally prefer.  But it adds variety to my library and I've imported it into my iTunes.  Now, what can I do with all of these old CDs?  They're taking up space, and I don't want to create a time capsule in my closet. Besides, CDs are subject to 'CD Rot' and eventually they will break down if left there long enough.  Ideas? We don't do garage sales. Can I just box them and drop at Goodwill?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:14:36 PM by JustCallMePat »

the girl person

Re: SO of DECLUTTERING - What To Do With Old CDs?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »
I might start with giving relatives or friends of the deceased first dibs. Someone may have some awesome memories of times with your relative that are linked to some of that music. After that I'd suggest listing them on eBay or Amazon if you have an account and are inclined to do it.  I've been excited to find some music online that I'd thought was lost to me forever.  Then I would move on to the main library branch in my city and Goodwill. After that I've got nothing. I didn't realize that CDs break down over time. Do you know, by any chance, how long that takes?

Friday

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »
The license for the music goes with the cd, if you give it away or sell it, you should remove the music from your device.

Get cd wallets, put the cd and the artwork in a smaller space, put in shoe boxes and store in a dry and temperature controlled area (like a closet).

sammycat

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »
I might start with giving relatives or friends of the deceased first dibs. Someone may have some awesome memories of times with your relative that are linked to some of that music. After that I'd suggest listing them on eBay or Amazon if you have an account and are inclined to do it.  I've been excited to find some music online that I'd thought was lost to me forever.  Then I would move on to the main library branch in my city and Goodwill. After that I've got nothing. I didn't realize that CDs break down over time. Do you know, by any chance, how long that takes?

Pod.

Also, if you're handy at arts and crafts, or know someone who is, CDs can be reused in many different ways (made into coasters, windcatchers etc, to name but two). Google would probably have hundreds of ideas in that area.

EMuir

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
That CD is your license to own that music. I would keep them all in a box until you're sure you'll never need them. I've subscribed to Apple music and I enjoy it, but what if Apple decided to stop operating that service next month?

gramma dishes

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
I have never heard of CD rot. 

If these are commercial CDs in their original cases that someone bought at a store (and it sounds like that's what you're talking about), most libraries would love to have them. 

There are also several places in my state that sells older LPs and CDs.  They might be willing to buy them from you, but you won't get rich off the sale. 

Goodwill might be happy to take them.  You might be surprised how many people get nostalgic and will be eager to buy "older" music.

You might also find takers of the whole batch if you offer them for a reasonable price at a garage sale or similar outlet. 

rose red

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 09:03:48 AM »
If you simply want to get rid of them with no fuss and no muss, than donating to a library or Goodwill is the easiest solution.

At my library, they sell CD's (and books) for 50 cents and up. The proceeds go to buying library supplies and equipment. That's how they got their self-service check out machine (love that thing).

magicdomino

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »
A couple of months ago, iTunes suddenly couldn't find any of my many MP-3 files.  As best as I can figure, an update changed the way that iTunes names music; the files were there in the iTunes folder but iTunes ignored them.  I had a choice of laboriously searching and clicking each song, or re-ripping the songs from the CDs.  Having the original CDs came in handy.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
Yes, if you are feeling crafty, there are a lot of ideas on Pinterest for old CDs. One of my favorites is using old photos and making Christmas ornaments out of them.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:26 AM »
Freegle/Freecycle? I got an 80 cd collection of classical music on Freegle from somebody clearing a house after his father died. The deal was that I had to take it all, no picking through for what I knew I wanted, I could sort it on my own time and then re-Freegle what I didn't want, or take it to a charity shop, or whatever. I decided that I would listen to everything at least once, and I'm half way down the box. I've listened to composers I had never even heard of.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
Donate to library?  They might end up sold to raise money instead of entered into the library collection, though.

Take by a place where the older music might be popular - a senior center comes to mind.

Go straight to the Goodwill or Salvation Army?

Listen to them once to see if they bring back any memories and donate if they don't?  Offer to other relatives who (as someone else posted) might have happy memories of listening to that music with the deceased.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 01:40:46 AM »
If you get rid of the CD, you need to get rid of the music on your computer as well. Your digital copy will no longer be legal, if you don't own the physical copy as well.

So I'd keep them, in order not to have pirated music on my computer.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Carotte

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »
When I was looking at selling some of my cds I found a place with a website where you can feed the barcode number and it will tell you if and how much they'll buy it for (they don't always take everything), I had used a barcode scanner on my phone and sent the data to my computer to feed it to the website, now I just have their app on my phone and do everything from it.
It's the kind of place that will give you 1/4 of what you could have sold it for on ebay but without the work of listing and shipping and replying to people.. worth it for me at least.

So you might find something like this in your country?

Friday

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.