Author Topic: Costume for Halloween party  (Read 404 times)

veronaz

Costume for Halloween party
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
I’m going to a friend’s Halloween party next month.  Everyone will be in costume, and it’s been soooo long since I’ve even thought of wearing a ‘costume’ anyplace.

I decided to go as a “Flapper” – 1920s Charleston dancer!

This is what I’ve put together:

Sleeveless black dress, not mini but above the knees
Long fake pearl necklace and dangling earrings (thrift shop)
Black stockings
Black pumps (3” – ouch – but I can stand them for a few hours)

I’m going heavy on the makeup, bright red lipstick
(No false eyelashes – I just can’t deal with those)
Red nail polish – something I never wear

But the piece de resistance is something I found yesterday:
I bought a black wig I found at a strip-mall wig shop for $22.00.  I tried it on and “modeled” for a few people.  They went nuts!  Said I should wear it all the time. :D  Chin length, tapered at sides, bangs.  I love it!

The only thing I need is a head band with a feather, and a boa (!) if I can find a cheap one.  Maybe a costume shop?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:23:18 PM by veronaz »

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
Re: Costume for Halloween party
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
amazon.com? they often have very inexpensive things like that.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:22:10 PM »
Michael's stocks boas in the children's craft areas. And I'll bet you can find a head band there too
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

MissNomer

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
If there aren't any Halloween store nearby (there's always a Spirit store that opens near me around this time of year) I recommend Party City.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
I don't know where you live but, if it's fairly urban there may still be street fairs.  You can get cheap feather boas at these dos.  It's also easy to make a feathered headband  Buy some very ornate ribbon.  Craft stores almost always have feathers around at reasonable prices. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
You can find a boa at any party store for pretty cheap. Craft stores are also a good supply for both boas and feathers for your headband. Sounds like a cute outfit!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
sounds lovely! Black stockings? i thought it was neutral (or the ones with the seam in the back? or am i mixing up my eras?)

Pics please!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:02:43 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

veronaz

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Bijou, I looked @ Amazon and the headband prices aren't bad.  I'll look around in a few stores, too.  I still have a month to put things together.

Meanwhile, a friend's daughter wore a boa in a dance group performance.  She's gonna see if I can borrow it - it's hot pink, which is perfect to offset all the black. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »
For more verisimilitude don't worry about the three inch heels.  Shoes then were not quite so high.  T-straps about two inches high would be perfect and more comfortable. 

Also, I second the lighter colored stocking idea.  So much the better if you can find a pair with seams and/or clocks.   For the full effect they should be rolled down neatly and tightly  to just below the knee. A bit of rouge applied to your knees would also be consistent with the period and add a saucy touch. 

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your costume.  Apart from the three inch heels, it sounds comfortable and fun.  IME putting together a good Halloween costume can be at least as much fun as actually wearing it.       

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
For more verisimilitude don't worry about the three inch heels.  Shoes then were not quite so high.  T-straps about two inches high would be perfect and more comfortable. 

Also, I second the lighter colored stocking idea.  So much the better if you can find a pair with seams and/or clocks.   For the full effect they should be rolled down neatly and tightly  to just below the knee. A bit of rouge applied to your knees would also be consistent with the period and add a saucy touch. 

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your costume.  Apart from the three inch heels, it sounds comfortable and fun.  IME putting together a good Halloween costume can be at least as much fun as actually wearing it.       
More fun, actually.  One year at work our department of women all came dressed as 'ladies of the evening'.  We really gave the thrift stores a work out and had so much fun putting our costumes together.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

veronaz

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
I agree about the hose - nude color would be better.

Gonna have to think about those heels.  Last time I wore them I could not wait to get home and take them off.  T-straps would be good, but I don't have any.