Author Topic: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?  (Read 176271 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: What weird/outrageous requests have you seen on Freecycle/Craigslist?
« Reply #1275 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
Posted some things to Freecycle (a Yahoo! group) on Monday the last week of March.  Went to post that they were taken later in the week.

That website & list are GONE.  From the Yahoo! website, from my list of groups, and from the search engines...

I had to find another Freecycle list for my area to post the stuff to.  It has a much smaller membership and it has taken several days to get any replies on the listed items.

It is much simpler to post a "Taken" message to, though.  It sends out the email and drops the message off the bulletin board online.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Shalamar

« Reply #1276 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
I've probably told this story before, but I had a similar tale to the laptop saga when I was trying to sell some brand-new china on Craigslist.  I got an e-mail purportedly from some young fellow who was moving out of province, had therefore closed all of his bank accounts, but he really wanted to buy my "items".  Because, naturally, if you're a young guy moving across the country, the thing you need the most is fragile china.   ::) 

I got the same type of "give me your banking info, and I'll pay you, plus I'll throw in some extra $ for your time" nonsense.  I said "Sorry, cash only", whereupon I got a "What?   Are you afraid I'm trying to scam you?  How DARE you?" type of reply. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1277 on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:43 PM »
I still have the "spare" laptop.  I was offered $75 from a reseller...the same laptop line but one model older (same amount of RAM, lower speed #, and smaller hard drive) was a bit over 3X that price on their shelf, right behind me.

Decided for that amount of money, I'd rather have a spare computer on hand (two story house).  Then VorGuy's Windows 7 laptop died in November 2013 (about two months after the $75 "offer") and he used it while I first tried to get his to work, get a backup made (didn't work very well either), and then transferred what I could recover to a new laptop with Windows 8 on it.

Just tried to use that hard drive for a back up of my laptop - it is one very dead hard drive...not recognized by either of my laptops...

But I don't feel like buying a NEW hard drive & trying to set it up at the moment - I've had one minor crisis after another lately, including two leaks under the kitchen sink.  The plumber came back for a second visit in 13 days this morning.  I'm hoping that there will be an interlude in this drama over Easter.

I could use some chocolate and a weekend where nothing breaks down.

snowfire

« Reply #1278 on: April 18, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »
I'll virtually send you the LARGE broken chocolate bunnies I found in the clearance section at Fred Meyer's last weekend.  Ears were broken off.  Bunny foo foos, anyone????  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1279 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:49 AM »
I never turn down a vitual Bunny Foo Foo - or two, when the plumber's been here twice in two weeks....