Author Topic: Holiday Newsletters  (Read 1351 times)

poundcake

Re: Holiday Newsletters
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
So many of them are exactly the same. Kids! Sporting Event! Disney! Birthday party with bouncy house! Frozen/Whatever Pop Culture Thing is Huge That the Kids Love! Snarky comment about husband and his manly hobby! Hangin' with my girls! Family Christmas photo, dogs included! Lather, rinse, repeat. It's almost like there is a checklist or something. The all-time worst is when it includes a description of the new family at-home business, with an appeal/link for purchasing something.

I've really enjoyed the ones that do something even a little different: kid draws a cartoon, or it's a snarky recap from the family cat. We did one for a couple years that was a bit of a send-up of the above generic letter, but with fake kids with twee names. Think Roald Dahl scenarios. However, one of my cousins was morally outraged that we mentioned keeping the kids in the basement in lieu of "daycare," and complained about how "mean-spirited" we were and it wasn't keeping with the holiday spirit and all. So we scrapped it.

mime

Re: Holiday Newsletters
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
Some family friends did a letter every year that I really enjoyed. They had 2 kids who are now in their late 20s. While the kids were growing up, they were asked a series of questions for the letter (what do you want to do when you grow up? What is your favorite thing to do now? etc).

Each year the questions were very similar to the prior years, so those of us reading the letters got a fun look at how they grew up over the years. I remember that when the daughter was 3 she wanted to be Batman. When she was 14 she wanted to be a missionary. Now (at 28) she does something art-related.