News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 25, 2017, 10:48:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 263611 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #1665 on: June 14, 2017, 02:43:01 PM »
Huge billboard near local eatery:

Internationally Reknow Bloody Marys

doesn't anyone proofread anymore? I assume it was supposed to be renown or maybe renowned.  Nothing like advertising to the world you don't know how to spell...

Attempting a "Devil's Advocate" job, just for the heck of it -- might they possibly be trying to say that the "Bloody Mary" variety of cocktail has of late, undeservedly gone out of favour worldwide: so they are encouraging the world's nations to get acquainted afresh with -- i.e., "re-know"(hyphen optional) -- that variety of drink?

It's always been the best blood marys in the world, so no.  The new manager wanted them to be Renowned for their bloody marys.  I am surprised that the billboard company didn't check the spelling and/or confirm the copy with someone either.   Not blaming them, just wondering why they didn't at least question it. 

I worked in the printing business for over twenty years and if something looked hinky I asked and got a signature on a proof before we went to press. 

jpcher

« Reply #1666 on: June 14, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »

doesn't anyone proofread anymore? I assume it was supposed to be renown or maybe renowned.  Nothing like advertising to the world you don't know how to spell...

Attempting a "Devil's Advocate" job, just for the heck of it -- might they possibly be trying to say that the "Bloody Mary" variety of cocktail has of late, undeservedly gone out of favour worldwide: so they are encouraging the world's nations to get acquainted afresh with -- i.e., "re-know"(hyphen optional) -- that variety of drink?

It's always been the best blood marys in the world, so no.  The new manager wanted them to be Renowned for their bloody marys.  I am surprised that the billboard company didn't check the spelling and/or confirm the copy with someone either.   Not blaming them, just wondering why they didn't at least question it. 

I worked in the printing business for over twenty years and if something looked hinky I asked and got a signature on a proof before we went to press.

Redneck Gravy -- LOL! Awesome attempt! ;D That gave me a good giggle.

cabbageweevilm -- I feel your pain!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1667 on: June 15, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »

jpcher-- I suspect that in addressing the two of us above, you reversed us  ;) ?

Blame my far-fetched try at justifying the ad, on a woman who was a work colleague of mine long ago.  She was a sweet person in many ways; but was extremely talkative, and came out with a lot of the most bizarre stuff.  Reckon that she was basically an "attention hog" -- hence many strange utterances; including various odd ways with the English language, unique to her. One such was, that she never spoke about doing anything "again" / "afresh" / "anew": she always (sometimes grotesquely) coined some verb with the prefix "re-". I recall "re-give", "re-buy", "re-put-back"; and the comment on news about dodgy goings-on in early-1990s Eastern Europe, concerning a certain ideology there "re-rearing its ugly head". Ever since, I have -- perhaps a bit unkindly -- taken pleasure in thinking up a la this lady, new "re-" verbs -- the more outlandish the better...

Chez Miriam

« Reply #1668 on: June 21, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »

jpcher-- I suspect that in addressing the two of us above, you reversed us  ;) ?

Blame my far-fetched try at justifying the ad, on a woman who was a work colleague of mine long ago.  She was a sweet person in many ways; but was extremely talkative, and came out with a lot of the most bizarre stuff.  Reckon that she was basically an "attention hog" -- hence many strange utterances; including various odd ways with the English language, unique to her. One such was, that she never spoke about doing anything "again" / "afresh" / "anew": she always (sometimes grotesquely) coined some verb with the prefix "re-". I recall "re-give", "re-buy", "re-put-back"; and the comment on news about dodgy goings-on in early-1990s Eastern Europe, concerning a certain ideology there "re-rearing its ugly head". Ever since, I have -- perhaps a bit unkindly -- taken pleasure in thinking up a la this lady, new "re-" verbs -- the more outlandish the better...

Cabbageweevil, I offer you re-looking - I saw it on a window of a shop in a small French town, and thought "what on earth do they mean by that?".

Turns out it is a thing: giving a door or piece of furniture a new look is 'relooking' in "French".  Now I know it means there will be shabby-chic furniture or repainted cabinet doors.

It made me smile; I hope it does you, too. :)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

RainyDays

« Reply #1669 on: June 21, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »
A new high school is being built in my town, and the old one being demolished. New high school will have the same name as old high school, which also matches the name of the town. The new stone signs at the entrance have the name misspelled. Fortunately, they have since been removed to be corrected, but really? It's the town name! 

The name is a common one, but the silent letter got forgotten. Think "Christopher" but the mason spelled it "Cristopher".

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1670 on: June 21, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »
A new high school is being built in my town, and the old one being demolished. New high school will have the same name as old high school, which also matches the name of the town. The new stone signs at the entrance have the name misspelled. Fortunately, they have since been removed to be corrected, but really? It's the town name! 

The name is a common one, but the silent letter got forgotten. Think "Christopher" but the mason spelled it "Cristopher".

You must live near me!  I saw a news article about this the other day.  (I'm in a neighboring county)

RainyDays

« Reply #1671 on: June 21, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »

You must live near me!  I saw a news article about this the other day.  (I'm in a neighboring county)

:)  hi, neighbor!

A friend posted a picture online, without the article linked, and I thought it was a photoshop hoax at first!

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #1672 on: June 21, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »
The charter school my friend's daughters attend posted a status last night announcing the return to a fundraising product--"THEIR BACK!"

:-\

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #1673 on: June 21, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »
The charter school my friend's daughters attend posted a status last night announcing the return to a fundraising product--"THEIR BACK!"

What about their front? ;D
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #1674 on: June 21, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »

What about their front? ;D

Does pizza have a front? If so, I bet it's crispy and delicious.