Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1184584 times)

Kaymyth

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2010, 01:21:40 AM »
Is Comp USA still in business anywhere?  

Nah, they're defunct.  One of the first store chains to fall after the market crashed.

They were actually failing long before the market crashed.  Their problem was an inability to compete with Best Buy, and with places like Office Depot and Staples that were getting into the electronics market.

The name does, however, continue to exist.  compusa.com is active -- owned by Tiger Direct a long-time e-tailer.  They do list a few brick-and-mortar locations.

True.  The crash simply hastened the death knell.

Meh, I won't shop Tiger Direct anymore, either.  It's a roll of the dice as to whether or not they ship you a complete lemon of a computer.

And while we're on the subject of computers, while this isn't a store specifically, I *refuse* to ever, ever allow Norton antivirus or any of the rest of the Symantec line on any machine of mine ever again.  It isn't that it doesn't work -- it works TOO well.  It blocks programs' internet access without asking you about it.  It blocks programs it's asked you about and you've TOLD it to allow.  It blocks programs from running that don't access the internet at all!  I cannot even begin tell you how many machines I've seen completely borked because of Norton.  Not just my own personal computer, but work computers, school computers -- all held hostage by an antivirus program completely drunk with power.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2010, 02:23:56 AM »
And while we're on the subject of computers, while this isn't a store specifically, I *refuse* to ever, ever allow Norton antivirus or any of the rest of the Symantec line on any machine of mine ever again.  It isn't that it doesn't work -- it works TOO well.  It blocks programs' internet access without asking you about it.  It blocks programs it's asked you about and you've TOLD it to allow.  It blocks programs from running that don't access the internet at all!  I cannot even begin tell you how many machines I've seen completely borked because of Norton.  Not just my own personal computer, but work computers, school computers -- all held hostage by an antivirus program completely drunk with power.

Is that what all that is? I had a horrendous time with my last computer doing all that and I used Norton and never thought it was the problem. You learn something new everyday.
I use c*o*m*o*d*o now, nice little program and no problems. S*p*y*b*o*t too but my system not too happy with it, it slows everything down considerably so it's on run mode when I go to bed.

Now sandbox is being a pain with blocking stuff that I've told to allow. You win some you lose some, at least it's not as bad as Norton was at that.

*edited because the dratted cat sat on the keyboard and submitted before I finished  ::)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:04:19 AM by Zenith »

artisticgal

• Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just 1!
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2010, 03:44:45 AM »

Local Thai place-if you live in Chicago's nothern burbs pm me and I'll give you the name-

Went there after getting off of work at about 11:30 AM, came in and asked to be seated. First words out of the guys mouth were "we don't have any room for you". Note the place was empty. I asked him if all the empty tables were reserved, he replied no they were not but they don't like to seat singles during the lunch rush since they can't make enough revenue off of them to make up for the fact they there is not a second person. I walked out and have not been back since, I let my BFF know about this and she said that it's not uncommon for them to do that.

Whole Foods-

Ordered a carrot cake for my BF's Bday party, got it home and saw what looked like mold on the side of the cake, took a closer look at the cake and half the side was covered in white mold. Took the cake back to the store, manager was convinced that I had switched the cake out with another one since "we would never let a cake in this shape leave the store". It was not until I lifted up the cake and showed him the whole foods sticker that he realized that I was not lying. He then refused to give me my money back and made me take a store credit. Which I still have and it's been 3 years.
Wasabi is a spicy Japanese condiment best enjoyed with sushi, and never, repeat, never enjoyed alone.

JadeAngel

« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2010, 04:48:26 AM »
It's my own fault for getting sucked into these sales parties, but I have finally lost my patience with two party plan suppliers.

The first I can't recall the name of but it was a company which allowed you to order custom shoes, which would be allegedly handmade and delivered to you. I had no problems personally because I ordered one sample shoe which I got cheaply and one which was in stock rather than being made up. However a number of women in the group ordered the custom shoes and these things weren't cheap - you selected the style of the shoe, the fabric and the colors you wanted - between $120 and $150 per pair. It took between four and six weeks for the shoes to be made up and when they were delivered the women opened the boxes to find shoes that were nothing like what they had ordered. Wrong style, wrong color, in a couple of cases completely the wrong size.

We contacted the company and they told us that they had 'run out' of some of the styles and colors we had ordered, so they had just 'made up' something else from what they did have left over, and sent it off in place of the items we had ordered. They tried to force us into taking 'credits' for the shoes we returned in place of refunding our cards, but in the end they refunded our credit cards. Apparently they didn't tell the Sales Rep though, three months later she contacted one of my aunts wanting to know when she was going to book her next party.

The second was Intimo Lingerie, my group of friends had booked several parties and we were good customers of the chain, which did have some quite nice products, but after the experience I had I refuse to attend any sales parties for this company period.

I had booked a party off the back of a close friend's party (which entitled her to some very good discounts, but that's another story) I had confirmed the date with the Sales Rep and was making arrangements to have people there. Two weeks prior to the party I received a card from the Sales Rep which simply read 'Just confirming your party on XX date, looking forward to seeing you there!' I didn't think much of it as I was busy with work, just set it aside.

A week before the party some mutual friends start ringing me out of the blue asking if I've definitely booked a party for the date I was putting out in my invitations. I replied that I had booked it and received confirmation of the date from the Sales Rep. A few days later a friend rang me and said she had been speaking to Sales Rep on an unrelated matter that morning and Sales Rep had told her that I had not confirmed my party booking so she had booked another party on the date.

I phoned Sales Rep immediately and she began telling me that I needed to confirm the date of the party by sending her back the card she had sent. I retrieved the card and read it off to her showing that at no point did it say I had to return the card to confirm the booking. She continued to claim that it was printed at the bottom of the card and I told her that everything at the bottom of the card had been blacked out with black permanent marker - whereupon she asserted that 'someone at the post office' must have done that. She also claimed that despite having my mobile number from when I made the booking that she had asked 'Anna' to follow up with me (who was the sister of a friend of a friend whom I had met exactly once) even though she had spoken to several of my close friends who had my phone number and could have contacted me straight away.

After some discussions amongst our social group it became clear that the Sales Rep had gotten a request from a member of her own family for a party and had booked them on the same night as mine intending to force me to reschedule my party to a later date. I had some reservations about canceling my party since my friend had received some discounted merchandise as a reward which she had since used so it couldn't be returned, but considering the shoddy way the whole thing was handled I said to the Sales Rep that she should honor the booking she had made in place of mine and when she rang a few weeks later wanting to reschedule I informed her politely that I had changed my mind.

It didn't impact on the company, which still trades on but none of my social circle ever booked another party with Intimo.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2010, 04:50:35 AM »

Is it ehell approved to carry my CompTIA A+ cert around to show all those salespeople that I do indeedy know what I'm talking about with computers, and love to build them?  Usually get hassled when I need to buy a new dvd drive intown.  YES, I KNOW HOW TO INSTALL IT

You'd love my local independent computer store. My CD rom drive died around Christmas and I hauled the tower in to them. They said "we can do it for you, but honestly, you can do it yourself and save the labor charge." I said well, I don't have internet access and they assured me it wouldn't be needed and by golly he was right: I could do it and I didn't need the internet.

MC Clapyohanz

« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2010, 05:24:03 AM »

2) I have eczema and it shows up in strange places.  For the past several years, it's been on my eye lid.

Sorry, I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but I just wanted to say me too!  i feel less alone now  ;)

Is getting it on the tops of your feet, the sides, and under your ankles considered weird? Because if so, I'm joining the club. I also had it on my jawline recently. I have lovely discoloration scars on the tops of my feet from scratching, getting scabs, and then the skin healing. They aren't insanely noticeable, but I know they're there.

When I was younger - around 10ish - my mom thought I had ringworm in different areas on my body - mostly my torso, if I remember right. They were circular and itched, so we put Lotramin (spelling?) on the differnt patches that were affected. Didn't work. Maybe cuz it wasn't ringworm? ;)

Back to the topic at hand...

I also get it on my scalp, which is incredibly gross and itchy. It's worse in the summer when it's humid. It doesn't help that I start sweating even when I get out of the shower. I live in Southern CA, so it's only mildly humid here compared to other places, but I get hot easily and quickly.

SkyTalon

« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2010, 05:27:33 AM »
I got a couple, one from me, one from my friend's brother Adam.

Me - Dove was in the market for a new dryer, as the one in her home was borked and at the time no one knew if it could be fixed (as it turns out, it's fixable, but her mother refuses to let anyone fix it). We went to a Tool & Appliance store reviled in this thread. No service. I swear, they were hiding in the washers like gopher holes, and stuffed away in the refrigerators, waiting for an Adult. Finally, the must've drawn straws, because someone approached with a resigned sigh. We talked briefly, and when it was clear Dove would not be purchasing right away, he vanished again.

Adam - Adam has a baby girl. And, as many babies do, she's growing. Ergo, said baby needs new clothes. Adam decided on his way back from work, he might as well pick some stuff up at some Baby Place he passes every day. He knew what size to try and was looking through the girl's section when a well to do associate marched up to him. "Sir! You are to leave the store immediately, or I will call security!" she barked at him. When he asked what the problem was, she did not respond to him, just turning and yelling, "Jane! Call security right away!" So, Adam made a hasty exit, stage left. As near as anyone can tell, the Associate thought he was a certain kind of child abuser because he was shopping without child or wife.
This drill will open a hole in the universe!
And that hole will be a path for those behind us!
The dreams of those who've fallen!
The hopes of those who'll follow!
Those two sets of dreams weave together in a double helix!
Drilling a path towards tomorrow!

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2010, 07:52:21 AM »
The CT story about portions. Sorry for not clarifying. It's a sore spot for me.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »

Adam - Adam has a baby girl. And, as many babies do, she's growing. Ergo, said baby needs new clothes. Adam decided on his way back from work, he might as well pick some stuff up at some Baby Place he passes every day. He knew what size to try and was looking through the girl's section when a well to do associate marched up to him. "Sir! You are to leave the store immediately, or I will call security!" she barked at him. When he asked what the problem was, she did not respond to him, just turning and yelling, "Jane! Call security right away!" So, Adam made a hasty exit, stage left. As near as anyone can tell, the Associate thought he was a certain kind of child abuser because he was shopping without child or wife.

That is wrong on more levels than I can probably count.  I hope he sent off letters to the company about this.    Apparently the Associate lives in a world where men don't pay attention to their kids' needs, aren't primary (and sometimes the only) caregiver, aren't half of a G*a*y couple raising a child, aren't doting uncles who can't wait to give Baby Nephew/Niece new clothes, etc.

J.D.

• Ice Cube Terrorist
« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »
Although I'm currently car-less, I will never again take any vehicle I own to Canadian Tire. Without fail, the reps in their automotive department make me want to pull my hair out every single time.

The first incident occurred when I took my car in for an oil change. The person I was dealing with asked me if I wanted the oil filter changed too. I told him that replacing the filter is part of performing an oil change and should be included in the price, and that running clean oil through a dirty used filter would be ludicrous anyway. 

The second time I took my car there - again for an oil change - the mechanic came out to inform me that, and I quote, "There's condensation on the oil pan." I asked him to clarify what he meant by this. "Well, there's, like, moisture on the outside." Is that moisture oil? "It's wet on the outside." *grit teeth* Is. It. Oil? "Well, no." So the oil pan is intact and not leaking? "Well no, but there's, like, moisture on it, and we need to check that out." I see. Well, is it possible that, because I keep my car outside, and it's January in Ontario, and the car went from being in -30C weather to a nice warm garage that it could be, oh, I don't know, melted snow and condensation from the car warming up from being indoors? "Uh, yeah, maybe." Here's the $45 for the oil change, please return my key. I'm leaving now.

I told the story to the mechanic in my hometown and he just rolled his eyes and told me I was correct and that mechanic I was dealing with was a goof - and my mechanic could very well have lied and said it was a problem, costing me a ton of money.

I realize I'm just a girl  ;) , but believe it or not, I know some stuff about cars too.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
Apple   Bees.  

I have had many bad experiences in this chain restaurant.  I also know dozens of people who have had their own bad experiences.  And the food is not even that good.  It is mediocre at best.

just two of the problems encountered:

-Never served.  We left after an hour wait.  Our drink orders were taken, there was only a few other tables, at least five different people came over to check on us and ask us what our order was and said it was on our way.  But nothing materialized.  Not even the drinks.  Finally we decided to leave.  

-Someone in our party left something in the bathroom during dinner.  She went to get it and it was gone.  She reported the loss to the hostess and waiter and they said they would not look for it, nor would they take her name in case it was found because "if it isn't there we JUST DON'T have it".  They also forgot parts of our meal.

Oh, Applebees. Two visits, two lousy experiences, two thousand miles apart:

In CT, with my mom who ordered senior version of X meal. Apparently served regular version, which we discovered when the bill came. Huge argument with waitress, then with manager, who insisted that we "should have known" mom was served the regular meal, and alerted our waitress "immediately". Umm, excuse me, you're assuming we're regulars and we know how large your portions are? Sorry. Got bill corrected, left no tip.

I stopped reading here , I was too angry. You honestly penalized your waitress for restaurant policy?

Well, I wouldn't have left her NO tip, but the waitress is your communication contact with the restaurant.  SHE should know restaurant policy and she did not tell them what they were getting was not what they had ordered until the bill came.  I haven't been to Applebee's in years (awful food) and I certainly wouldn't know what their different portion sizes should look like, but she should.  If they hadn't corrected the bill, I would have taken the difference between the dishes off whatever tip I would have left her, because it was up to her to get me the right food and she didn't.  That is her main job.  Bring me the food I ordered.   When you can't do that (and don't even tell me) - yeah, you're not getting a good tip.

katycoo

« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2010, 10:05:20 AM »
The second was Intimo Lingerie, my group of friends had booked several parties and we were good customers of the chain, which did have some quite nice products, but after the experience I had I refuse to attend any sales parties for this company period.

I had booked a party off the back of a close friend's party (which entitled her to some very good discounts, but that's another story) I had confirmed the date with the Sales Rep and was making arrangements to have people there. Two weeks prior to the party I received a card from the Sales Rep which simply read 'Just confirming your party on XX date, looking forward to seeing you there!' I didn't think much of it as I was busy with work, just set it aside.

A week before the party some mutual friends start ringing me out of the blue asking if I've definitely booked a party for the date I was putting out in my invitations. I replied that I had booked it and received confirmation of the date from the Sales Rep. A few days later a friend rang me and said she had been speaking to Sales Rep on an unrelated matter that morning and Sales Rep had told her that I had not confirmed my party booking so she had booked another party on the date.

I phoned Sales Rep immediately and she began telling me that I needed to confirm the date of the party by sending her back the card she had sent. I retrieved the card and read it off to her showing that at no point did it say I had to return the card to confirm the booking. She continued to claim that it was printed at the bottom of the card and I told her that everything at the bottom of the card had been blacked out with black permanent marker - whereupon she asserted that 'someone at the post office' must have done that. She also claimed that despite having my mobile number from when I made the booking that she had asked 'Anna' to follow up with me (who was the sister of a friend of a friend whom I had met exactly once) even though she had spoken to several of my close friends who had my phone number and could have contacted me straight away.

After some discussions amongst our social group it became clear that the Sales Rep had gotten a request from a member of her own family for a party and had booked them on the same night as mine intending to force me to reschedule my party to a later date. I had some reservations about canceling my party since my friend had received some discounted merchandise as a reward which she had since used so it couldn't be returned, but considering the shoddy way the whole thing was handled I said to the Sales Rep that she should honor the booking she had made in place of mine and when she rang a few weeks later wanting to reschedule I informed her politely that I had changed my mind.

It didn't impact on the company, which still trades on but none of my social circle ever booked another party with Intimo.

What a shame your Sales Rep was so awful/useless/manipulative.  I've only had fabulous experiences with Intimo and use them often.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
Okay, finally got to the end of the thread.  Now I can include mine.

First is a local pizza place.  We ordered from there frequently.  They had the best cheesesteaks, and really good pizza, and their prices were reasonable.  Too bad the owners weren't..  It was the day after an order, and we get a phone call from them.  They said we gave their driver a counterfeit $20 bill, and we could either give them $20 to make up for it, or they could go to the police to get it.  Well, see, we don't get $20 bills.  The local ATM dispenses $10 bills only, and there's no way we would have had anything larger.  But, I panicked, and let them pressure me into giving them $20 I really didn't have.  Last time I ever ordered from there.  Given the frequency we ordered, and the amount of time it's been, I estimate at least $1000 in lost sales.

EBGames lost my business back when they were Electronics Boutique.  They had a policy, they would refund as long as you had the original materials, as long as it was within seven days, even on PC games (this was very much a long while ago).  Well, I bought a copy of Windows 95 (on floppies!) from there and get it home... dang thing won't install.  Gets to disk 4 of 13, and borks.  We took it back, asked for an exchange (thinking it might be the disc), get a new copy, and try again.  Nope, same problem.  So we take it back, ask for a refund, since I'm not paying for an OS I can't even install.  The manager, as he's writing out the return form in front of us, dictates what he's writing as he's writing it:  "Reason for return... did not like'.  Since I don't appreciate being called a liar, I took my refund, left the store, and never went back.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »
Unfortunately, we can't quit them, but the company that just bought DF mortgage is turning inot a joy to work with, and this is only the first month they've had the contract.

When he called and asked about changing the pay date from the 1st the the 15th of each month the person he talked to on the phone said she would have to ask a supervisor. She calls back and she has to have a fax sent to her that day stating he needs it changed and why. Over the years, I've had many loans, but that was the first time I had ever heard of it being such a problem to change the pay date.

They call on the 16th looking for the payment, it was mailed on the 16th which was payday. He told them this. The caller then wanted the money order number, and was told it should have been over nighted. He was also told he should have westernunioned it. A supervisor gets on the phone and tells him he needs to call on Wednesday to find out if the payment arrived. If it hadn't, he needs to make alternative payment arrangements, and they will send the money order back.

He told the supervisor that we had the other company for 2 1/2 years, with the 15th as a pay date, without any problems. We have your company for one month, and it's being run like a crackerjack company. This is rediculous.

We live in a mobil home park, and almost all of the mobil homes are mortgaged through the same company, which is now the new company. The next few years should be fun...

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »
Yup. Just jabbed me. I'm also surprised that I didn't punch her (Tae Kwon Do training for 2+ years made me just move without thinking at times). Fortunately I was not (and still am not) needle phobic. Otherwise, I probably would have shrieked something along the lines that her parents were never married.

Bill Cosby FTW!
Words mean things.