News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2629540 times)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #2145 on: April 24, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »
The story about staff making you feel uncomfortable reminded me of a local antique mall that we haven't stepped foot in since this incident. It was when one of our boys (I can't remember which one, but they're now 5 and 7) was a baby. We went in with a stroller and diaper bag, walked around for a while and didn't see anything we liked so were going to leave. As we were walking toward the door, the owner, who had been chatting on the phone (personal call, from the sound of it) the entire half hour or so we'd been in there, moved the receiver away from his mouth and said, "By the way, I'm going to let it go this time but next time you can't bring the stroller and diaper bag or I'll take them away from you." We stared at him in shock for a minute then left. If he wants to ban bags or strollers that's his choice, and I wouldn't blame him--it was a big warehouse with lots of little stuff sitting out unattended--but it was just the tone. Like "I know you came in to shoplift and I'll do you a favor and let it go this time, but next time you thieves come in I'm not going to stand for it." Yeah, I don't need to shop at an overpriced store where I'm going to be treated like a criminal.

Xandraea

« Reply #2146 on: April 24, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
Jiffy Lube tries that all the time with women.  They try to sell you a new air filter, windshield wipers, coolant flushes.  I tried not to go there, but they give 30% discounts to hospital employees where we live.

Mechanic:  "Well, Ma'm, you can see you need a new air filter."  He shows me a really dirty one. "And new wind shield wipers"
Me:  "Really, because I changed my air filter last month when I changed my windshield wipers."
Mechanic:  "I don't think they replaced them.  Some places try to cheat you."
Me: "No, I did it myself.  There air filter on this car is square, not rectangle and way smaller then the one in your hand."
He tried to slink away, but I called a manager over and made it clear I was calling the DMV since they also inspect cars.  I've never been back."

*APPLAUSE*  I love stories where someone trying to pull something over on someone else gets called out on it and realizes (with embarrassment) the scheming didn't work!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #2147 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »
Jiffy Lube tries that all the time with women.  They try to sell you a new air filter, windshield wipers, coolant flushes.  I tried not to go there, but they give 30% discounts to hospital employees where we live.

Mechanic:  "Well, Ma'm, you can see you need a new air filter."  He shows me a really dirty one. "And new wind shield wipers"
Me:  "Really, because I changed my air filter last month when I changed my windshield wipers."
Mechanic:  "I don't think they replaced them.  Some places try to cheat you."
Me: "No, I did it myself.  There air filter on this car is square, not rectangle and way smaller then the one in your hand."
He tried to slink away, but I called a manager over and made it clear I was calling the DMV since they also inspect cars.  I've never been back."

*APPLAUSE*  I love stories where someone trying to pull something over on someone else gets called out on it and realizes (with embarrassment) the scheming didn't work!

I love it!  And that is why I don't take my car to any place like that.  I know not all do it, but I'm much more comfortable taking my car to my mechanic, who will tell me what I need, and if I need to do it now, or if it can wait. 

EmmaJ.

« Reply #2148 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »
Went to a restaurant this weekend and ordered a dish that's suppose to come with certain toppings.  When it came, some main toppings were missing.  When asked, the waitress curtly said they ran out.  I felt she should have informed us when we ordered which gives us a chance to either say that's fine, or to order something else.  Her attitude also told us it would not be wise to send it back.  Therefore, we will not be back.
Several years ago, I went to Subway and ordered my favorite - a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.  Got home, opened it up to add more salt and pepper and noticed there was no tomato.  Well, that's 1/3 of the sandwich so back I go to get it corrected.

The employees told me they'd run out of tomatoes hours earlier.  I asked well, why didn't you tell me that when I ordered a BLT?  The answer was a tomato is just a condiment so it doesn't matter and by the way, no one else complained.

I said no, in a BLT the tomato is essential to the sandwich and therefore it's important you tell the customers when you're out.  All I got from them was "deer in headlights" look and a halfhearted offer to make a different sandwich. 

I'm sure they laughed about me after I left - they probably still tell the story about the crazy lady who complained that there was no tomato on her BLT.

Xandraea

« Reply #2149 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
I hate Best Buy, for experiences not so different from those described here. I am the techie person in my family. DH can't even work the DVD player. I am proficient with computers, scanners, printers, cameras, entertainment systems, etc. My Dad LOVES Best Buy and tends to get us gift certificates there for all occasions, despite our frequent reminders that we hate our local store. Too many times, we'll go into the store and the sales people will FLOCK to DH to serve his every whim, while ignoring my existence. The last time we were there, last year, DH finally said, "Look, I have no clue what you're talking about.  If you want to make any sale at all today, you have to talk to my wife. I don't appreciate the fact that you're ignoring her very clear request for what we want."

OK So this post is a couple years old but, I had to reply and say BRAVO to your husband!!

Petticoats

« Reply #2150 on: April 24, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
Went to a restaurant this weekend and ordered a dish that's suppose to come with certain toppings.  When it came, some main toppings were missing.  When asked, the waitress curtly said they ran out.  I felt she should have informed us when we ordered which gives us a chance to either say that's fine, or to order something else.  Her attitude also told us it would not be wise to send it back.  Therefore, we will not be back.
Several years ago, I went to Subway and ordered my favorite - a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.  Got home, opened it up to add more salt and pepper and noticed there was no tomato.  Well, that's 1/3 of the sandwich so back I go to get it corrected.

The employees told me they'd run out of tomatoes hours earlier.  I asked well, why didn't you tell me that when I ordered a BLT?  The answer was a tomato is just a condiment so it doesn't matter and by the way, no one else complained.

I said no, in a BLT the tomato is essential to the sandwich and therefore it's important you tell the customers when you're out.  All I got from them was "deer in headlights" look and a halfhearted offer to make a different sandwich. 

I'm sure they laughed about me after I left - they probably still tell the story about the crazy lady who complained that there was no tomato on her BLT.

A friend of mine got a meatball sub to go, and when he got back to work and unwrapped it, he found that there were no meatballs in it--just sauce. He phoned them, and sure enough, they had run out and just opted not to tell him that when he placed his order. I think they offered him a replacement, but he didn't have time to make another trip there and back before his lunch hour ended. Absolutely boggling.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2151 on: April 24, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »

A friend of mine got a meatball sub to go, and when he got back to work and unwrapped it, he found that there were no meatballs in it--just sauce. He phoned them, and sure enough, they had run out and just opted not to tell him that when he placed his order. I think they offered him a replacement, but he didn't have time to make another trip there and back before his lunch hour ended. Absolutely boggling.

It's really this simple: if leaving off an ingredient would force you to rename the dish, it's an essential ingredient.  He didn't order "a sub", and she didn't order "a BL"!

GreenHall

« Reply #2152 on: April 24, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »
...I generally have the opposite problem at Subway...I don't like tomato (have finally stopped retching if I accidently find some in my meal...), I DO like bacon.  Subway gets confused if you order a 'BL'.  Also look at you funny if you get a vegetarian and add bacon.

Steve

« Reply #2153 on: April 24, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
I am pretty loyal to my local hardware store, they offer great service, reasonable prices and a large assortment. At the moment we are re-doing the DD's rooms, they get new walls, carpets, curtains, furniture, the works. So, for DD1's room I needed wallpaint. She had picked out wallpaper in pink and purple, but these walls have just been replastered, paint is cheaper and I like painting better :) so we compromised. :) One wall to be wallpapered with huge pink and purple flowers, and 2 walls painted in the correct color instead of walpapering them.
We went to the store where she had picked out the carpet, wallpaper and other stuff, and now all I needed was my paint. We picked up 2 colorsamples for the walls so I could take them to my hardware store, when I noticed a hardwarestore just next door. I figured I would just go there to get the paint as I was already so close with 2 DD's in tow that really could care less about hardware stores. It seemed like the less painfull option.

I went in and got to the paint-counter with my two samples. Ther was no-one there so I waited for a few minutes, and when no-one showed up I searched for an employee. I found a young looking kid (maybe 18-19 years old) at work in a nearby isle and asked for assistence. He got up, walked with me to the counter and tried to call someone. He was probably told that no-one was available, because he put down the phone and started to assist me.
While I was telling him what I needed, I was interupted by two guys asking a question about somthing totally unrelated, upon which he left the counter (and me) and went to help them first. I waited for about 10 minutes for him to return. (getting peeved) When he got back I explained to him what I needed to which his reply was that "he could not do anything with my samples". So I suggested taking out the color-range and matching them, then him mixing them, so that I could buy them. Well he obviously was not very enthousiastic with my idea, but he climbed over the counter (not to elegantly at that) and got me the colorrange. Then he left.

I stood there for a good 30 seconds, then I recollected my wits, packed up my kids, my samples and left too. If my kids had not been with me (complaining and bickering at this point) I would have complained to a manager.

CakeBeret

« Reply #2154 on: April 24, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
I just remembered this incident from a few years back.

I was at a local, authentic Mexican place and ordered a cheese quesadilla. The quesadilla came nearly dry with only a little bit of cheese inside. I don't expect it to be gushing with cheese, but I would like more than 20% of the interior to have cheese on it! I snagged one of the owners, who was out on the floor, and showed it to him. Without a word, he took my plate away. He came back with my quesadilla with some cheese sauce dumped on top. He set the plate down and walked away without a word.

The real mind-boggler came when I got the bill. I had been charged $3.25 for the quesadilla...and $2.95 for a side of cheese sauce. :o

Rather than argue with the owner over (a) why dumping cheese sauce on top of my quesadilla was not an acceptable solution, and (b) why subsequently charging me for the cheese sauce was even more unacceptable, I just paid and left. I haven't been back. There are other authentic Mexican places in my town with equally good food and far better service (and cheesier quesadillas!).
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

CoffeeLover

« Reply #2155 on: April 24, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »
The post above reminded me of a story!   One night DH and I went to a local Mexican restaurant after a movie.  We sat at the bar and ordered a few apps and margaritas.  Later, as we were eating - we noticed a bartender (fortunately, not the one that served us) take a tissue out of his pocket, blow his nose, replace said tissue to his pocket then walked over to the margarita glasses (which were stored on an overhead rack so they hung upside down), grabbed a margarita glass by putting his hands on the glass and his thumb INSIDE THE GLASS and proceeded to make a margarita and serve it to a table! 

We asked for the check...never went back. 

Amara

« Reply #2156 on: April 24, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
Secret Squirrel, your story just reminded me of one place. I was in London on holiday (I'm American) back in the late 1980s. Naturally, I had to check out their stores. I forget the name of the top London store, above Marks & Sparks in terms of quality, but it is a *big* name. I wander around eventually getting to the top floor where all the food eateries are. Oh my, the choices! It was wonderful. Until I came to one place where the food looked especially appealing. There were counters and a couple were free, but as I am preparing to claim one the cook behind the counter coughed and sneezed--loudly, violently, in a free range kind of motion. I think he used his arm to wipe his nose. I nearly lost it, but none of the suited businessmen sitting there seemed phased. I turned and was gone before any of them could blink, I would wager.

Obscene!

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2157 on: April 24, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »
Harrod's?

BarensMom

« Reply #2158 on: April 24, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »
The post above reminded me of a story!   One night DH and I went to a local Mexican restaurant after a movie.  We sat at the bar and ordered a few apps and margaritas.  Later, as we were eating - we noticed a bartender (fortunately, not the one that served us) take a tissue out of his pocket, blow his nose, replace said tissue to his pocket then walked over to the margarita glasses (which were stored on an overhead rack so they hung upside down), grabbed a margarita glass by putting his hands on the glass and his thumb INSIDE THE GLASS and proceeded to make a margarita and serve it to a table! 

We asked for the check...never went back.

While we're on the subject of restaurants, DH and I went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and ordered combo plates.  I had eaten half of my plate and I looked down to see a cooked cockroach.  I pushed my plate away, but didn't say anything to DH or the waitress.  I didn't tell DH until we were on the way home.  We've never went back.

DottyG

« Reply #2159 on: April 24, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »
Ewwww ewwwww ewwwwww ewwwww. That gives me shivers.