News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 08:17:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2625387 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #2175 on: April 25, 2012, 02:42:35 PM »
In college, one of the groups had a picnic - the guy in charge of fixing food for it didn't cook much............and it showed when we got to the picnic.  He had made chili (we went to college in Texas) - he hadn't sorted the beans, his mother did tell him to soak them overnight - but for some reason they overflowed the pot and ended up on the floor............so he swept them up & put them back in the pot with more water (midnight trip for a drink of water or something).

The chili was made with packets of seasoning and ground beef.  Fine.  But instead of tomato paste & water or tomato sauce, he used tomato juice because it was cheaper...............and there was a budget.

If there was ever a batch of chili that was worse, I don't want to know about what was done to that batch of chili.  It was bad........the beans were undercooked (hadn't soaked long enough in enough water), gritty (swept off the kitchen floor............), and watery (tomato juice might have eventually concentrated if cooked down long enough.........but he'd skimped on cooking time on every step of the way) - because he really didn't know how to cook?  Because he had poor time management skills?  Because he had other priorities and cooking that chili came at the bottom of the list?  All of the above?

It lasted for three get togethers with college students before  someone managed to get it into the trash, somehow - because he kept bringing the leftovers to the next group party...........and he was about the only person who ever ate the GLOOP (it wasn't chili - has to be called something - gloop was the sound it made when being ladled into a bowl).

Other priorities than chili?  I know those words are English, but I don't recognize the sentence structure.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2176 on: April 25, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
Other priorities than properly preparing the food for the picnic, for which he was the committee member..............in his case, we jokingly nicknamed him after Fritz Leiber's barbarian thief/adventurer from Lankhmar..............which might give you an inkling about where COOKING was on his priority list.  Unless there was wine the recipe............I suppose.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #2177 on: April 25, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Other priorities than properly preparing the food for the picnic, for which he was the committee member..............in his case, we jokingly nicknamed him after Fritz Leiber's barbarian thief/adventurer from Lankhmar..............which might give you an inkling about where COOKING was on his priority list.  Unless there was wine the recipe............I suppose.

Sorry, I was vague.  I was saying you said he had priorities that ranked above chili.  My point is, unless he's with the secret service, that sentence just doesn't make sense.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #2178 on: April 25, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »
Just in case it still isn't clear, Traska (I believe) is making a joke about how important chili is to her...chili doesn't even blip on my radar when my mom's spaghetti is involved  ;D

DottyG

« Reply #2179 on: April 25, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
I'm with Traska!  A good (which I know this wasn't) bowl of chili is DELICIOUS!

Although, beans in chili?!  Perish the thought! ;)  A true Texan knows that beans do not EVER go in real chili!

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #2180 on: April 25, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »
I'm with Traska!  A good (which I know this wasn't) bowl of chili is DELICIOUS!

Although, beans in chili?!  Perish the thought! ;)  A true Texan knows that beans do not EVER go in real chili!

Strewth!

I cannot stand beans in chili.

And in reference to spaghetti... why choose?  Nine times out of ten, when I make spaghetti, chili goes right in (and I use a good taco blend of cheese in place of mozzarella).  Beans would just ruin that.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2181 on: April 25, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
Can we please not get into the Great Chili Debate again?  It's been beaten to death in many a thread.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #2182 on: April 25, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
Not just any spaghetti, my mom's spaghetti; big difference  ;D

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2183 on: April 25, 2012, 04:49:42 PM »
Oh - I didn't realize it was a joke.  Being a third generation Texan - I don't joke about chili.

I joke about what he made because it wasn't chili..........it was a bean & meat mess that didn't qualify as "food" to many people (and we are talking about starving college students - or at least HUNGRY college students) dorm food, even in Texas, isn't nearly as good as "mom's home cooking" - too bad he didn't get more help from his mother.............it really wasn't edible.  I think it was the floor sweeping comment.............or the tomato juice instead of anything with more body...........but the combination of bad ideas added up to a waste of food.

I'm not aware of any food poisoning attributed to it - so even the bacteria in Texas agreed - it was NOT edible............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

DottyG

« Reply #2184 on: April 25, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »
Can we please not get into the Great Chili Debate again?  It's been beaten to death in many a thread.

Not quite remembering this being "beaten to death in many a thread".

It is just a common joke about how "true" (and that is in quotes, you'll notice) Texans feel about certain foods.  There are never any beans in chili, sauce on real BBQ, etc.

I don't really see that it's a problematic post to have made.

DottyG

« Reply #2185 on: April 25, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
The chili was made with packets of seasoning

Wick Fowler's 5 Alarm Chili?!  The absolute BEST! :)

squeakers

« Reply #2186 on: April 25, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »

Not quite remembering this being "beaten to death in many a thread".

It is just a common joke about how "true" (and that is in quotes, you'll notice) Texans feel about certain foods.  There are never any beans in chili, sauce on real BBQ, etc.

I don't really see that it's a problematic post to have made.

Possibly because that thread drift has nothing to do with never shopping somewhere again?
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

DottyG

« Reply #2187 on: April 25, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
If you'll look at the 147 pages in this thread, I'm sure you'll see quite a few thread drifts. :)  It happens in a thread occasionally and isn't something that needed to be chastised, if that's what the problem was.  Nor have any of the drifts harmed the thread from continuing.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #2188 on: April 25, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
If you'll look at the 147 pages in this thread, I'm sure you'll see quite a few thread drifts. :)  It happens in a thread occasionally and isn't something that needed to be chastised, if that's what the problem was.  Nor have any of the drifts harmed the thread from continuing.

I didn't see the request as chastising. The "real" chili debate is something that's been hashed out multiple times.

If you'll look at the 148 pages in this thread, I'm sure you'll see quite a few times where people were asked to get back on track, too :)
Utah

Ticia

« Reply #2189 on: April 25, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
Actually, let's keep this thread on topic as much as possible. If you want to make a new thread about chili, please feel free, but this thread is for sharing bad business experiences.
Utah