Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 974660 times)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3195 on: November 06, 2012, 01:16:45 AM »
I think that's pretty common. In fact, I remember reading a thread that was almost exactly the same story on a different forum. I hope they get things straight without causing any more issues.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #3196 on: November 06, 2012, 01:32:05 AM »
Hillia that is CRAZY.  Please keep us up to date!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3197 on: November 06, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »
Hyundai dealership in Phoenix.

19 yr old DS is trying to buy a car.  He has a good income...but has only been at his job 2  months.  He has no credit, zero.  He has a tradein worth between 3-4k, depending on which dealership is looking at it.

Last Monday he went to the Hyundai dealership after having no luck with Toyota.  The salesguy puts together this deal for a 2013 Elantra Coupe (the sports model) at 19k, using some magical first time buyer financing, supposedly at 8.9%.  I am skeptical but whatever.  DS drives off with the car and spends $600 the next day putting insurance on it (19 yr old single male, has a total loss on his record, in a little black sports car...yeah, that's gonna cost).

As the week goes along, the sales guy calls a few times - seems he's having trouble selling the deal (ya think?).  He keeps insisting that 'the next bank' will pick it up, but suggests that it will be easier if DS falsifies his pay stub to show 8 months at his employer instead of 2.  DS declines, but that's ok, sales guy will make it work.

Today - 7 days later - sales guy calls to say he can't put the deal through, bring the car back.  Oh, and DS owes money for mileage.  DS declines to pay mileage - he didn't cancel the deal, the dealership released a vehicle without having financing arranged.  DS shows up at the dealership and guess what - they can't find his truck.  After 45 minutes of fooling around, someone discovers that the truck has already been sent to auction.  Fortunately, it's just on the transport or something, because they promise it will be available at 6 am tomorrow.  Yeah, I believe that.  And through all this, not an apology, not the slightest indication that they've done anything wrong.

We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.  DS can't take time off work; his days off are Sunday and Monday, so he doesn't have the time to be fooling around with all this.  I live 2 states away, so I can't help him.  Well, I am working on a very strongly worded letter to be sent to the dealership manager, the dealership owner, Hyundai corporate, the BBB, and every review website I can think of.

Is this the new ploy in car sales?

This happened to my best friend's son (different dealership/different state).  He also had to return a car (when financing didn't go through) then they wanted him to pay for mileage on new car, he declined to do so.  They then offered to mail him the down payment, he stopped payment on his check instead of waiting for the turnaround on the refund (letting them know this in advance).  He was afraid they would run his check through and then mail him what they considered the difference between down payment and mileage. 

I know my deal is done before I ever drive off the lot!   How do others operate?

HorseFreak

« Reply #3198 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »
Hyundai dealership in Phoenix.

19 yr old DS is trying to buy a car.  He has a good income...but has only been at his job 2  months.  He has no credit, zero.  He has a tradein worth between 3-4k, depending on which dealership is looking at it.

Last Monday he went to the Hyundai dealership after having no luck with Toyota.  The salesguy puts together this deal for a 2013 Elantra Coupe (the sports model) at 19k, using some magical first time buyer financing, supposedly at 8.9%.  I am skeptical but whatever.  DS drives off with the car and spends $600 the next day putting insurance on it (19 yr old single male, has a total loss on his record, in a little black sports car...yeah, that's gonna cost).

As the week goes along, the sales guy calls a few times - seems he's having trouble selling the deal (ya think?).  He keeps insisting that 'the next bank' will pick it up, but suggests that it will be easier if DS falsifies his pay stub to show 8 months at his employer instead of 2.  DS declines, but that's ok, sales guy will make it work.

Today - 7 days later - sales guy calls to say he can't put the deal through, bring the car back.  Oh, and DS owes money for mileage.  DS declines to pay mileage - he didn't cancel the deal, the dealership released a vehicle without having financing arranged.  DS shows up at the dealership and guess what - they can't find his truck.  After 45 minutes of fooling around, someone discovers that the truck has already been sent to auction.  Fortunately, it's just on the transport or something, because they promise it will be available at 6 am tomorrow.  Yeah, I believe that.  And through all this, not an apology, not the slightest indication that they've done anything wrong.

We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.  DS can't take time off work; his days off are Sunday and Monday, so he doesn't have the time to be fooling around with all this.  I live 2 states away, so I can't help him.  Well, I am working on a very strongly worded letter to be sent to the dealership manager, the dealership owner, Hyundai corporate, the BBB, and every review website I can think of.

Is this the new ploy in car sales?

This happened to my best friend's son (different dealership/different state).  He also had to return a car (when financing didn't go through) then they wanted him to pay for mileage on new car, he declined to do so.  They then offered to mail him the down payment, he stopped payment on his check instead of waiting for the turnaround on the refund (letting them know this in advance).  He was afraid they would run his check through and then mail him what they considered the difference between down payment and mileage. 

I know my deal is done before I ever drive off the lot!   How do others operate?

It's a nasty scam called spot delivery. From Edmund's:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-loan/dont-fall-prey-to-spot-delivery-scams-and-yo-yo-financing.html

Jones

« Reply #3199 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »
Something similar occured with my coworker too. In her case they "made it work" though, the dollar amount changed, she's had to pull out and fax paperwork several times, and her insurance tried to drop her twice due to discrepancies in the dealer's paperwork. I think it's straight as of 2 weeks ago, but considering she purchased the vehicle in May, it's ridiculous.

Yes, I know way too much about my coworker's life. As do quite a few other people who have also sworn off that vehicle dealer at this point.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3200 on: November 06, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
Thanks for the link - this is something I want to avoid and I want to make sure my kids are aware of it also.

I think car buying is a nightmare!  I never buy new anymore, I feel like no matter how much research I do or how careful I am that I am getting taken advantage of by the dealership.

If I absolutely have to finance a vehicle I have my financing in place with my credit union before I go shopping. 

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3201 on: November 06, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
We probably will never be inclined to shop there again, but this still makes us angry and we want to share with our other friends who will:

A year ago, we sold some recreational property - about 30K USD. The buyers were very friendly - we had a couple of beers and talked enthusiastically about their planned improvements.

After the closing, we received a letter from the agent (not a Realtor!) stating that we owed some more funds.

After two clear, nicely formal letters to them, we never heard back. I even avoided the comment, "What part of 'closing' do you not understand?" (Yea! me)

OK. So much for that bank and that agent. Done.

Sadly, we went out to the property while visiting friends. The present owners recognized us and were very, very cold to us. (I wanted to see what they had done with the property, so they were polite, but cool.) We can only surmise that the buyers were sent the same 'bill' after we had refused to pay it, they paid it, and then didn't have the nerve to say, "What part of CLOSING do you not understand?) [I love that phrase!]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:32:48 PM by Luci45 »

Hillia

« Reply #3202 on: November 06, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
While helping him file complaints with the BBB, we discovered that the second nasty part (couldn't find his tradein) has happened to several other people who had the same experience.  In some cases, by the time the tradein vehicle was returned, it was missing various removable items like console organizers, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3203 on: November 06, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »
Thanks for the link - this is something I want to avoid and I want to make sure my kids are aware of it also.

I think car buying is a nightmare!  I never buy new anymore, I feel like no matter how much research I do or how careful I am that I am getting taken advantage of by the dealership.

If I absolutely have to finance a vehicle I have my financing in place with my credit union before I go shopping.

When I bought my Metro in 1997 (that I'm still driving) I went in with guaranteed financing through my credit union.  However, the car dealership wouldn't let me have the car until I had insurance on it in place.  Since I was already an established customer with an insurance company I had no problem getting it, but I was 39 years old with a good credit rating and close to 20 years on my job and over 10 years at the same address, so I thought that was excessive in my case.  I wonder if it was because I was a single woman...

Hillia

« Reply #3204 on: November 06, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
DS just got a call from teh customer service manager at the dealership wanting to apologize and 'make it right'.  Amazing what a BBB complaint, a Yelp review, a FB posting, a ripoffreport posting, and reviews on the dealership website will do.  And Hyundai corporate hasn't gotten their letter yet...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3205 on: November 06, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »

When I bought my Metro in 1997 (that I'm still driving) I went in with guaranteed financing through my credit union.  However, the car dealership wouldn't let me have the car until I had insurance on it in place.  Since I was already an established customer with an insurance company I had no problem getting it, but I was 39 years old with a good credit rating and close to 20 years on my job and over 10 years at the same address, so I thought that was excessive in my case.  I wonder if it was because I was a single woman...

I thought that was fairly common? Last time I bought a car, I had to have insurance in place before I took it off the lot. DH had to do the same when he bought his truck last year.

Firecat

« Reply #3206 on: November 06, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »

I thought that was fairly common? Last time I bought a car, I had to have insurance in place before I took it off the lot. DH had to do the same when he bought his truck last year.

We had to do the same when we bought our car a couple of years ago.

CakeBeret

« Reply #3207 on: November 06, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »
When MIL bought a car (DH and I were with her) the deal wasn't completed until late in the evening (probably 9pm) and she couldn't get coverage that late, so she drove it home uninsured.

When DH and I bought our car, we did have to have insurance in place before taking it home. It was also late at that point (past 9pm) and I was thrilled that our insurance company had 24/7 service to get coverage in place immediately.

"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #3208 on: November 06, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
WOW. I am glad I live in Washington. You have 30 days to add a new car to your current insurance policy.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3209 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »

When DF & I bought him a new truck in January, we had to show proof of insurance for at least 1 of us (we weren't on the same insurance then, but are now). It may simply be a requirement in your area. Or I suppose it could be dodgy way to push you into expensive insurance with a lousy company that gives the dealer a kickback. Who knows? Not I.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture