Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1130860 times)

CakeBeret

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3285 on: November 08, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »
That reminds me of when I decided to buy Eminem's latest CD.  The very young male clerk said politely "Your son is gonna love this!". I raised an eyebrow. "Your daughter ... ?". "Nope.   It's for me.". Blew his mind.

For the record, I was 45 at the time (and a woman, in case that part isn't clear).

LOL. You should have seen the look on my young, hip cousin's face when he realized that boring, frumpy, responsible ol' me loves rock concerts just as much as he does. Sometimes teenagers don't realize that adults are cool people too. 8)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

mmswm

« Reply #3286 on: November 08, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »
That reminds me of when I decided to buy Eminem's latest CD.  The very young male clerk said politely "Your son is gonna love this!". I raised an eyebrow. "Your daughter ... ?". "Nope.   It's for me.". Blew his mind.

For the record, I was 45 at the time (and a woman, in case that part isn't clear).

I had a similar experience when Grand Theft Auto IV came out.  Actually, it was that game that made me finally decide to upgrade to an Xbox 360, since it couldn't be played on an old Xbox.  I wanted Halo 3 as well, so when deciding whether to upgrade my playstation or the xbox, the xbox won out at that time.  The sales guy kept insisting that I couldn't possibly be interested in the games and they had to be for my husband/boyfriend.  Come to think of it, that was the last thing I bought at that store, as I was so put off by the attitude of the salesperson.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Barensaunt

« Reply #3287 on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
In my case, I did, because the one girl was threatening to call security for theft if I didn't.  The rest of the haircut was... OK - shorter than I liked but the only real complaint was the bangs part, and I settled for paying ($8) without a tip (she tried to give me guff for that too)  and I was relying on the whole... getting in touch with the manager thing, thinking they'd give me a refund or something. That never materialized, of course.

But now you have just told an entire forum not to go to the Regis inside a Walmart.  Even though you didn't get your money back, you just saved us all from bad haircuts and cost them $$$ in bad publicity.

This won't keep me from going to one in an emergency. The poster had problems with people - the stylist and the salon manager. If she had notified Regis corporate and had not gotten satisfaction, I might be influenced. As it is, if I were in her area, I would want to know which branch not to go to.

I like my town's Regis. I go in nervious with no clue what I want, and I leave with my hair pretty and perfect. AND they listen to me when I say "There's no way I'm going to use any product regularly, so this needs to be nice even without." Other than one of them, once telling me that if I want long hair I need to be very careful when brushing and use a leave in conditioner to give it "weight" so it doesn;t blow around and get damaged, I've never gotten an upsell either.

I will never go back to our town's ProCuts though. I have been trying to grow my hair out for years and they not only cut it to my chin (no flattering) they put the dreaded layers back in so i had to go almost a year of trims before I was back to all of it chin length.

We used to travel a lot and often Walmart was the only place available for a cut/color/style without an appointment.   I was able to get in with a stylist while husband took care of other errands on our way through a town.  When the stylist was done, I wasn't thrilled with the style, but at least I had a much needed cut and color.  When were on the road totally out of that town, I realized my hair wasn't fully dry in the back.  Oh well!  When we arrived at our destination, before going out to dinner, I went to touch up the back of my hair and found there was still a lot of hair color product in the back of my hair, so I had to wash my hair.  When I began to style it, I realized the hair cut was so uneven and full of holes it was ridiculous.  I was very thankful that I had kept her from cutting what I call my bangs.  Since we were not going back through that town, I filed a complaint with Regis by e-mail then followed up by regular mail, including a copy of my receipt. I received no response at all!  The absolute last time I ever went to Regis because obviously they don't care if their customers are satisfied or not. 

nuit93

« Reply #3288 on: November 09, 2012, 01:32:22 AM »
Back to the thread.

Years ago I went into an auto parts store to buy a spark plug socket wrench.  I had learned how to do my own tune-ups, and since I didn't have a lot of money during that era anything I could do for myself helped. 

I got up to the cash register, and the cashier, who appeared to be a 17-year-old guy, asked me, "Are you sure you know how to use that?"  I assured him I did, all the while thinking that it made a good weapon to smack someone with.  Not that I would have done it, but it wasn't his place to ask me if I knew what I was buying.  I don't think I ever went back to that store, as I was referred to a store where the personnel never treated me as though I was stupid just because I was a woman.

I still have that socket wrench, by the way.

I got that one buying motor oil for my car (older vehicle, so it leaked).  The guy at the checkout offered to do it for me.  When I told him "No thanks, I can do it", he said "you sure?  my girlfriend once put motor oil in the radiator by mistake." :o

I gave him a big smile and said, "well, my MOM taught me how to do this years ago, so I'm fine".

What kills me is the statement would be leagues better if he replaced "girlfriend" with "brother".

Well, to give him the benefit of the doubt...he actually knew somebody who had put motor oil in the radiator(!).  If you didn't know someone and wanted to be nice, and you realized that something like that could actually happen, it was nice of him to offer.  If the fella accepted your response in good humor, then I'd say he's in the clear.

Well, if not for the fact that it had happened to me before (different employee but similar situation) and the guy I was seeing at the time knew NOTHING about cars (and yet the auto shop employees never offered him extra assistance)...I was a bit punchy.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3289 on: November 09, 2012, 06:34:08 AM »

I had a similar experience when Grand Theft Auto IV came out.  Actually, it was that game that made me finally decide to upgrade to an Xbox 360, since it couldn't be played on an old Xbox.  I wanted Halo 3 as well, so when deciding whether to upgrade my playstation or the xbox, the xbox won out at that time.  The sales guy kept insisting that I couldn't possibly be interested in the games and they had to be for my husband/boyfriend.  Come to think of it, that was the last thing I bought at that store, as I was so put off by the attitude of the salesperson.

Same story, substitute a Wii and Toys R Us.  Though the guy in line behind me was just as confused as to why a well dressed (and by that I mean I had on slacks, blouse, blazer and heels vs. ratty torn out jeans and a T-shirt) 30 year old woman would be buying a Wii for herself.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3290 on: November 09, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »

I had some similar when I switched from cable to FIOS. When I called to cancel my cable service, they tried to keep me, which was fine, but the funny part was I said one of the reasons was that FIOS offered a better channel selection, close to 15-20 more than what I had.  So he asked which ones, and I said well, the NFL Network.  I love football, and am a die hard NY Giants fan.  He then said, oh, we're getting that soon too, and then said "the men will love that"  Um excuse me? It was all I could do not to laugh in his face.  I have plenty of friends, female who love football, and plenty of male friends who could care less about it.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3291 on: November 09, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »

My 57 year old mother loves Eminem. She also loves Nine Inch Nails.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3292 on: November 09, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
We used to travel a lot and often Walmart was the only place available for a cut/color/style without an appointment.   I was able to get in with a stylist while husband took care of other errands on our way through a town.  When the stylist was done, I wasn't thrilled with the style, but at least I had a much needed cut and color.  When were on the road totally out of that town, I realized my hair wasn't fully dry in the back.  Oh well!  When we arrived at our destination, before going out to dinner, I went to touch up the back of my hair and found there was still a lot of hair color product in the back of my hair, so I had to wash my hair.  When I began to style it, I realized the hair cut was so uneven and full of holes it was ridiculous.  I was very thankful that I had kept her from cutting what I call my bangs.  Since we were not going back through that town, I filed a complaint with Regis by e-mail then followed up by regular mail, including a copy of my receipt. I received no response at all!  The absolute last time I ever went to Regis because obviously they don't care if their customers are satisfied or not.

I once filed a complaint with Regis about a really awful experience I had. They sent me a gift card and a letter of apology. So I figured I'd give them another shot, went and got my haircut, tried to pay with the gift card, and was told it hadn't been activated and so I couldn't use it.

THAT was the last time I went back to Regis.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3293 on: November 10, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
I have two places I'm never shopping from again.

The first is a restaurant, Granite City Brewery.  We've been there three times to try it out, and every single time, something about our order has been wrong.  The first time, our appetizer arrived literally two minutes before our entrees did, and they had the wrong description of a dessert on their menu, so what we thought we ordered was VERY different from what we got (think "chocolate chip cookie with ice cream" vs "toffee almond cookie with ice cream").  The second time, our appetizer didn't arrive until the end of our meal.  The manager who brought it out gave us the choice of not paying for it or having them box it up so we could take it home.  We chose to take it home, and when we tried it the next day, it was undercooked!  This last time, I ordered waffle-fries with my chicken sandwich.  The waffle fries were not described as seasoned, or spicy, or anything like that.  Just waffle fries.  Well, they came out and were so seasoned and spicy that I couldn't eat them, and my DH could only eat a couple.  DH's macaroni and cheese seemed to consist of more sauce than either noodles or chicken.  Three strikes and you're out - we will not be going back there in the future!

Also, I'm never shopping at the Michael's near my house ever again.  I've had some problems with them in previous years; they once told me that a poster I was framing was going to be three weeks late because "we had a sale the week after you dropped it off, and we need to get those people their frames first".  The problem I had last night, just made me realize I never want to go there again!  I went in, looking for a couple things I wasn't sure they had (a bone folder, and some acetate sheets) and a few things I knew they did have (different size molds for soap).  After twenty minutes of searching, I found the soap molds and the bone folder, but couldn't find the acetate sheets.  So I started trying to find someone to help me.  I saw three different associates, but every time I started walking towards them to ask a question, they'd look up, see me, and then turn and walk away.  All three of them!  I finally put my stuff down and walked out.  A store like that obviously doesn't need my business!  There's a few independent framing stores around as well as at least one art store around - I'll be checking them out instead. 

Shalamar

« Reply #3294 on: November 10, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »
When my husband and I got engaged, we ordered our wedding rings in January for a September wedding.  The jeweller teased us for being so early, but we liked getting details squared away in good time.   

We called in March, but they weren't ready.  Once again, we got attitude from the jeweller - "Don't WORRY!  You've got LOTS of time!"

They weren't ready in July, either.  "We got really busy with all the June weddings."

August.   Still not ready.  At this point we were getting very anxious, which is exactly what we'd wanted to avoid.

Finally, they were done a week before the wedding, and ... they'd screwed up my fiance's band, so they had to do a rush order to get it corrected.

We've never been back since.

HorseFreak

« Reply #3295 on: November 10, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »

Also, I'm never shopping at the Michael's near my house ever again.  I've had some problems with them in previous years; they once told me that a poster I was framing was going to be three weeks late because "we had a sale the week after you dropped it off, and we need to get those people their frames first".  The problem I had last night, just made me realize I never want to go there again!  I went in, looking for a couple things I wasn't sure they had (a bone folder, and some acetate sheets) and a few things I knew they did have (different size molds for soap).  After twenty minutes of searching, I found the soap molds and the bone folder, but couldn't find the acetate sheets.  So I started trying to find someone to help me.  I saw three different associates, but every time I started walking towards them to ask a question, they'd look up, see me, and then turn and walk away.  All three of them!  I finally put my stuff down and walked out.  A store like that obviously doesn't need my business!  There's a few independent framing stores around as well as at least one art store around - I'll be checking them out instead. 

I worked at a Michael's in the frame shop as a teenager and I would never get anything done there. One guy told me a story of a textured oil painting (large globs of paint making the surface stand away from the canvas) that they "fixed" creatively. Apparently some of the larger paint globs got sheared off when the glass was slid into the frame over the painting and they just smoothed it over with framing putty in the right color! He was very proud of himself and I was horrified.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #3296 on: November 10, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
I worked at a Michael's in the frame shop as a teenager and I would never get anything done there. One guy told me a story of a textured oil painting (large globs of paint making the surface stand away from the canvas) that they "fixed" creatively. Apparently some of the larger paint globs got sheared off when the glass was slid into the frame over the painting and they just smoothed it over with framing putty in the right color! He was very proud of himself and I was horrified.

As I understand it, one should never put glass over an oil painting anyway.  Seems like the guy at Michaels should have known that, and advised the customer accordingly.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3297 on: November 10, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
My MIL paints - we have several oil paintings that we love - she usually frames them to suit herself and her "vision" of the painting.  None of them have glass in there...except the one where the paint was applied on the glass with colored burlap (rough woven sacking fabric for those not immediately familar with fabric names) allowed to show through as the backing.  Glass over oil & canvas is supposed to be bad for the life of the painting........

Photographs are glassed to protect the photograph from UV & moisture....but not oil paintings, in my experience.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

HorseFreak

« Reply #3298 on: November 10, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »

As I understand it, one should never put glass over an oil painting anyway.  Seems like the guy at Michaels should have known that, and advised the customer accordingly.

Yeah, I honestly don't know why they put glass over it, though some customers wanted funny things.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #3299 on: November 10, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
Well, I went shopping today with middle son (my baseball player).  He's doing workouts now w/ the high school team (try outs are in Feb, but do not expect to make the team if you haven't been doing the workouts).  Oldest son is the only one willing to play catch with middle son, except that his glove is shot.  So I went shopping for a new glove w/ middle son as advisor (oldest declined to come on the shopping excursion).

Shop A is at the end of the mall with an exterior entrance and you can't continue into the mall itself from that store. We walk in, head for the baseball equipment and start looking through the gloves (which are very poorly organized).  Baseball equipment is loosely organized as when you walk down the aisle the bins on the left have gloves, the bats are on your right.  As we're picking out gloves and middle son is slipping his hand into some to check the feel, I hear on the overhead "Baseball line 1".  Shortly after that, a female clerk comes into the aisle, doesn't even speak to us, and just starts twisting bats around in their display holders. I was somewhat interested in looking at bats too and when I asked middle son about looking at bats, she seemed to hover *right* in my personal space (I mean, less than 12 inches from touching me).  Both middle son and I felt like we were being suspected of being potential shoplifters.  So we left, and I said out loud as we're leaving "Let's go, I don't appreciate being treated like I might be a thief."

So we go out of Shop A, and walk to the mall entrance.  Shop B is inside the mall (no exterior entrance).  We walk in, and are greeted by a female clerk who asks if we're looking for anything particular.  I tell her we're looking for a glove for a left-handed player.  She then directs us over to the area, and tells us that there is no back stock, but that if we see a style we like in the wrong size, she can call another store and see if they've got the one we need.  Then she backs off and lets us browse.  We look over about five gloves and find one that felt really nice, and decide that we'll get that one.  Then we're walking by the bats, and decide to look at them.  Clerk comes over and asks if we're interested in bats and says the display is locked but she can get the key if we want to look at a bat.  We're still browsing, but she then goes off and does other stuff and lets us consider the bats until we decide there is one that we might want to get today.  Another clerk (a guy, taller than the female clerks) comes over and asks if there's a particular bat we're liking, we id it, he gets it unlocked and hands the bat to middle son who moves over to a slightly open spot to give it a little bit of swing.  Male clerk talks to us a little bit more about what was going on w/ the bat and whether it'd be the right one for middle son.  We decide yes on the bat, the glove, and a heavy ball (some sort of training thing, it weighs 10oz, so basically double a regulation ball).

Unsurprisingly, Shop B made the sale today.

Shop A had only one glove that we thought might be suitable.  Surprisingly, it wasn't any cheaper (though it wasn't as nice as the one we did buy) than the one we found in Shop B.  I don't think I'll ever go back to Shop A even if they're giving stuff away.