Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1273021 times)

Sebastienne

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3645 on: March 07, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
Last week, I made an appointment to take my car into a local shop for an oil change/tire rotation/state inspection. The owner gave me a call when it was done (except, apparently for the inspection, because I'd made an appointment on the inspector's day off. Which--huh.). He asked about the car "shuddering." I thought he was talking about how it was a little choppy when changing gears, but when I got the car back (after paying over $80 for the oil change/rotation),  I understood what he meant. It was obviously misfiring, and in the three block drive back to my house, it stalled twice, and the check engine light came on.

I brought it back to the shop, he ran diagnostics (for $90), and said that the problem was with the air intake sensor on the engine, and repairs would be around $500. And this couldn't possibly be caused by the oil change, even though my car (with 6,000 whole miles on it) has never shown symptoms of this before.

The car is still under warranty, so instead, I had it towed to the nearest dealer. The problem? The oil cap wasn't tight enough. Which caused oil to leak. Which caused airflow problems. Which caused the misfiring.

Hulk smash.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3646 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:31 PM »
Pen^2 wrote:

"I should have done this, I know, but I wasn't quite functioning at 100% at the time. Although if I am ever in this situation again, I won't even bother trying for a response after the first attempt. Money on counter. Take water. Forget the change. Leave."

It would even work to just put the money on the counter and drink while you wait.  It shows you're willing and able to pay.

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3647 on: March 07, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
Last week, I made an appointment to take my car into a local shop for an oil change/tire rotation/state inspection. The owner gave me a call when it was done (except, apparently for the inspection, because I'd made an appointment on the inspector's day off. Which--huh.). He asked about the car "shuddering." I thought he was talking about how it was a little choppy when changing gears, but when I got the car back (after paying over $80 for the oil change/rotation),  I understood what he meant. It was obviously misfiring, and in the three block drive back to my house, it stalled twice, and the check engine light came on.

I brought it back to the shop, he ran diagnostics (for $90), and said that the problem was with the air intake sensor on the engine, and repairs would be around $500. And this couldn't possibly be caused by the oil change, even though my car (with 6,000 whole miles on it) has never shown symptoms of this before.

The car is still under warranty, so instead, I had it towed to the nearest dealer. The problem? The oil cap wasn't tight enough. Which caused oil to leak. Which caused airflow problems. Which caused the misfiring.

Hulk smash.

Hulk smash indeed!  Reminds me of a bad experience I had with the Jiffy Lube near our old place.  We haven't had the issue at other locations, I'm told because they're individually owned.   My car shook so bad it felt like it was going to fall apart around me and I'd be like a cartoon sitting in mid-air and holding a steering wheel in my hands. 

It had NEVER done that before, ever, and this was 2 days after I'd taken it in for an oil change.  I'm convinced they did something with the spark plugs that caused it though they insist they don't do any maintenance wrt spark plugs.  Suure.   ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3648 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »
Piratelvr1121 wrote:

"It had NEVER done that before, ever, and this was 2 days after I'd taken it in for an oil change.  I'm convinced they did something with the spark plugs that caused it though they insist they don't do any maintenance wrt spark plugs.  Suure."

They might be right about not touching your spark plugs, but at the same time Sabastienne's story shows that there are many other ways to mess up a car's engine during an oil change than that.  That's one reason I never speculate what's wrong unless I know for certain.  It just gives them a handle to say, "no, it can't be that" when it could be something else that they caused.  I just take it in and say, "it's obviously broken after the service" and let them come back with their reply, and then work from there.

Virg

Asharah

« Reply #3649 on: March 07, 2013, 02:26:40 PM »

Hulk smash.

Hulk smash indeed!  Reminds me of a bad experience I had with the Jiffy Lube near our old place.  We haven't had the issue at other locations, I'm told because they're individually owned.   My car shook so bad it felt like it was going to fall apart around me and I'd be like a cartoon sitting in mid-air and holding a steering wheel in my hands. 

It had NEVER done that before, ever, and this was 2 days after I'd taken it in for an oil change.  I'm convinced they did something with the spark plugs that caused it though they insist they don't do any maintenance wrt spark plugs.  Suure.   ::)
Off topic, but I saw Lou Ferigno on TV not long ago talking about playing The Incredible Hulk on television. Remember the scene in the opening credits where Hulk pushes the car over. When they were filming the scene, the wire that was supposed to pull the car over for him broke. It was like 2am, pouring rain, he was wet, miserable, tired and didn't want to wait for the wire to be fixed to get the scene, so he actually summoned the strength to push the car over without the wire.  ;D
End of hijack
Asharah

Shalamar

« Reply #3650 on: March 07, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
Ooh!  That's cool.  I loved that show. 

mmswm

« Reply #3651 on: March 07, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »

Hulk smash.

And this is why the only two people who are allowed to touch my are are me and my father.  I'm starting to allow my oldest two sons to help me, but even then I'm a bit of a dictator when it comes to what they're allowed to touch.  Thankfully, my father has a bit more patience while teaching auto mechanics and went to a junk yard and towed home a junker van, parked it at the edge of the driveway, handed my son a tool set and said "have fun"!

If figure if I'm the one that screws up my car then I really can't complain.  Now to brace myself for the clutch replacement I've been avoiding for the last few weeks...
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3652 on: March 07, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
Joann's craft store is getting there for me. I will still shop there for fabric and cake decorating items, but their jewelry section is like a high security prison. It is surrounded with cameras and cctv monitors, and the crystals have plexiglass over them with a sign that says "To select item, raise plexiglass. Alarm will sound.". I have gone to purchasing my jewelry supplies 99% online, but I will not buy any jewelry products at Joann's.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3653 on: March 07, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
Yikes, they're not like that around here, or at least not the last time I was there, maybe they've changed?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3654 on: March 07, 2013, 07:10:39 PM »
I wonder if yours just has a high loss rate - I don't spend much time in the jewelry section, but I've never seen anything like that at my local store.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nuit93

« Reply #3655 on: March 07, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
Joann's craft store is getting there for me. I will still shop there for fabric and cake decorating items, but their jewelry section is like a high security prison. It is surrounded with cameras and cctv monitors, and the crystals have plexiglass over them with a sign that says "To select item, raise plexiglass. Alarm will sound.". I have gone to purchasing my jewelry supplies 99% online, but I will not buy any jewelry products at Joann's.

Mine's not like that either, but I think it depends on the layout.  If the jewelry section (which consists of lots of small, relatively expensive parts) is hard to supervise I can see taking those kinds of measures.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3656 on: March 07, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »
You can find most of the same things on eBay for a tiny fraction of the price that JoAnn's sells - as in, the EXACT same bead and pendant designs.  I rarely pay more than a buck apiece for pendants and I often get strings of beads for less than a dime (all with free shipping).  It takes quite a bit of digging through eBay listings at odd hours, and it takes a few weeks for things to arrive because they're almost all shipped from China, but it's worth it if I'm not in a time crunch.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3657 on: March 07, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
They have reformatted the two local stores in the last three months. The jewelry section is straight in front of the entrance and diagonal from the desk. I had noticed signage and security increasing every time I went in there.

I buy my large orders from Fire Mountain Gems and smaller ones from Fusionbeads.com, Artbeads.com, and Beadaholique. Free shipping, no tax, and no security alarms.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3658 on: March 07, 2013, 11:21:46 PM »
Pen, after she didn't serve you when she was finished the glass she was working on, I think I would have taken the bottle, opened it and taken my pills.  And if she still didn't acknowledge you, turned around and started walking out.  Betcha she would have acknowledged you then!

(I would never actually leave without paying, even if I wasn't acknowledged.  I'd turn around and place a dollar on the counter and then walk out.)

I should have done this, I know, but I wasn't quite functioning at 100% at the time. Although if I am ever in this situation again, I won't even bother trying for a response after the first attempt. Money on counter. Take water. Forget the change. Leave.
Yes, it sounds like your headaches are migraines or migraine-like.  Get those pills down ASAP, because if you wait too long, they aren't effective at all.  (Been there, done that, needed injection because the pills were taken too late.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3659 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »
Pen, after she didn't serve you when she was finished the glass she was working on, I think I would have taken the bottle, opened it and taken my pills.  And if she still didn't acknowledge you, turned around and started walking out.  Betcha she would have acknowledged you then!

(I would never actually leave without paying, even if I wasn't acknowledged.  I'd turn around and place a dollar on the counter and then walk out.)

I should have done this, I know, but I wasn't quite functioning at 100% at the time. Although if I am ever in this situation again, I won't even bother trying for a response after the first attempt. Money on counter. Take water. Forget the change. Leave.
Yes, it sounds like your headaches are migraines or migraine-like.  Get those pills down ASAP, because if you wait too long, they aren't effective at all.  (Been there, done that, needed injection because the pills were taken too late.)
I second what ElfMama says