Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1249683 times)

Bluenomi

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3705 on: March 25, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »
So I was buying DH's easter egg yesterday and since his favourite company went out of business I had to look everywhere to find what I wanted to get him. Finally I found it in a department store. I then walked around the ground floor, waiting and looking for staff at 5 different registers, before I finally found a staff member near the 6th. She was most put out that I asked her to serve me and interupped her tidying. I wasn't the only person who was looking lost wanting to pay for things either.

And the company is complaining that they are loosing business to the internet. Well at least online stores will take my money!

AnnaT

« Reply #3706 on: March 26, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »
So I was buying DH's easter egg yesterday and since his favourite company went out of business I had to look everywhere to find what I wanted to get him. Finally I found it in a department store. I then walked around the ground floor, waiting and looking for staff at 5 different registers, before I finally found a staff member near the 6th. She was most put out that I asked her to serve me and interupped her tidying. I wasn't the only person who was looking lost wanting to pay for things either.

And the company is complaining that they are loosing business to the internet. Well at least online stores will take my money!
I have had that exact same problem with what used to be Grace Bros in Australia - they changed their name a few years ago.  You wander around a whole (very large) floor (with many different departments) and noone wants to take your money!

Bluenomi

« Reply #3707 on: March 26, 2013, 12:42:24 AM »

I have had that exact same problem with what used to be Grace Bros in Australia - they changed their name a few years ago.  You wander around a whole (very large) floor (with many different departments) and noone wants to take your money!

Lol, it was Myers! How ever did you guess  :P

Iris

« Reply #3708 on: March 26, 2013, 02:18:25 AM »

Lol, it was Myers! How ever did you guess  :P

I also have found this with Myers. I used to shop there a LOT, but since they changed their staffing policy it's a bit like a ghost town on occasion. I bought a lot of my work clothes there as well, which really adds up. Although really they've done me a favour because I am not shopping online instead, I'm just buying less stuff!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Hillia

« Reply #3709 on: March 26, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
This is a hypothetical situation for me, since the store is in Australia and I'm in the US, but:
http://now.msn.com/just-looking-fee-charged-by-australian-store

The store is going to charge a $5 'just looking' fee which is deducted from your purchase at checkout.  They say they're tired of people coming in just to comparison shop and not buying anything.  If the picture with the article is the actual store, they are a gluten-free food shop.

Do they station someone at the front door and sell tickets or something?  I can't imagine this is going to do them any good at all; the ill-will generated will drive away any customers they might have.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Coralreef

« Reply #3710 on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
This is a hypothetical situation for me, since the store is in Australia and I'm in the US, but:

The store is going to charge a $5 'just looking' fee which is deducted from your purchase at checkout.  They say they're tired of people coming in just to comparison shop and not buying anything.  If the picture with the article is the actual store, they are a gluten-free food shop.

Do they station someone at the front door and sell tickets or something?  I can't imagine this is going to do them any good at all; the ill-will generated will drive away any customers they might have.

:o  That should go into either Brain Hurt or Professionnal Darwinism. 

[/right

alkira6

« Reply #3711 on: March 26, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »

While I completely understand ( I have been guilty of "showrooming" before), this is going to alienate those who do come in, window shop, and then wind up coming back later.

mmswm

« Reply #3712 on: March 26, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »

While I completely understand ( I have been guilty of "showrooming" before), this is going to alienate those who do come in, window shop, and then wind up coming back later.

They would completely lose me as a customer, even if they had the best price for whatever item I wanted to buy.  I would pay more at a different store because I would absolutely refuse to shop at a store with such awful policies.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3713 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »

They would completely lose me as a customer, even if they had the best price for whatever item I wanted to buy.  I would pay more at a different store because I would absolutely refuse to shop at a store with such awful policies.

You and me both. Half the fun of shopping is looking! Alrthough if I do look one place, but know I'm buying elsewhere, I will never advertise that fact. I'll just look, leave adn then do my thing.  I'm going to get it for the best price I can, and if that means seeing it in person in one store, but buying online to get the best deal, so be it.

snowdragon

« Reply #3714 on: March 26, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
 There is a little Café not far from my college, that I used to go to three or four times a week, to get tea before a class or a meal  and relax between classes or when I am in there area. They used to have friendly staff and good service. All that changed a bout two weeks ago, when I bought a book at Traveling Leaves  book store that is physically attached to this Cafe ( there is even a door in between to facilitate travel back and forth between the businesses) ordered  a tea and started my book.  When they put my tea on the counter, I walked up and asked the barista if I could have a slice of lemon. His response was "We have it in the kitchen, but I am not going to go get it for you."  The other two baristas backed him on this.
   I walked out and will not ever go back.   

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3715 on: March 26, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
What a bizarre thing for the barista to say.   :o   Were you supposed to go back to the kitchen and get it for yourself?  Most places don't allow customers back there.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3716 on: March 26, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »

Wait a minute... they have a COVER CHARGE?!  Do they also have a two muffin minimum?!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3717 on: March 26, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »
Care.com.  You can sign up for free and they will let you post babysitting jobs for free, but you can't respond to any of them for free and any phone #'s the potential sitters send you are x'd out in the emails, ie xxx-xxx-xxxx.   You have to upgrade in order to get any info, you can't even email the people back.  Actually I didn't even realize my request went through because after I filled out the info for the job I got a "upgrade your membership" so I figured you had to have a paid membership for the job posting to go through, and at that I decided I had enough of that site. 

You know, I'd be okay if they wanted to charge but I really detest when sites do that kind of thing, claim you can sign up for "free" but you get absolutely no good out of the site unless you want to upgrade.   That ticks me off.

We don't go out often, DH and I.  We've gone out together just the two of us twice since we've moved here.  Once we left the older two with a neighbor when the first part of Deathly Hallows was released,  The second time was this past summer when we got a sitter to watch the 3 boys so DH and I could go bowling and unfortunately that girl is busy.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3718 on: March 26, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
Care.com.  You can sign up for free and they will let you post babysitting jobs for free, but you can't respond to any of them for free and any phone #'s the potential sitters send you are x'd out in the emails, ie xxx-xxx-xxxx.   You have to upgrade in order to get any info, you can't even email the people back.  Actually I didn't even realize my request went through because after I filled out the info for the job I got a "upgrade your membership" so I figured you had to have a paid membership for the job posting to go through, and at that I decided I had enough of that site. 

You know, I'd be okay if they wanted to charge but I really detest when sites do that kind of thing, claim you can sign up for "free" but you get absolutely no good out of the site unless you want to upgrade.   That ticks me off.

We don't go out often, DH and I.  We've gone out together just the two of us twice since we've moved here.  Once we left the older two with a neighbor when the first part of Deathly Hallows was released,  The second time was this past summer when we got a sitter to watch the 3 boys so DH and I could go bowling and unfortunately that girl is busy.

I'm surprised no one's figured out how to get around that yet. I see on Craigslist all the time people typing out their numbers, like "Call me at five 5 five, eight twenty-three 4." That's to keep bots from getting the numbers, but it would also work to bypass number filters as long as you spelled everything out.

Years ago, I met DH on match.com. I had the paid membership so I could send him email, but if he didn't have a membership he couldn't reply or something like that. So I typed my email address in the email, as in "mail me back at my name at email, with a period and com on the end" because I think it would censor any of the standard formatted email addresses out.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3719 on: March 26, 2013, 06:01:10 PM »
I refuse to pay for sites like care_dot_com (when I was looking for a pet sitter) and Angie's list (looking for a dentist) because I find the idea of paying for information like that is ridiculous.

I do pay an annual subscription to the websites for Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country, since it is worth it to me, but no other pay sites get my $$.