Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1186621 times)

snowdragon

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3720 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
What a bizarre thing for the barista to say.   :o   Were you supposed to go back to the kitchen and get it for yourself?  Most places don't allow customers back there.

No, He was telling me I would have to drink my tea without lemon because he would not get the lemon for me.  Basically  being a jerk.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3721 on: March 26, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »
I used Care just this summer without paying for it...I dogsat for a couple.  When did they start making you pay?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3722 on: March 26, 2013, 06:33:48 PM »
In August, when I was trying to make arrangements, in order to register I had to give my credit card number for a $19.99 fee. It may be for the person trying to hire a sitter, not the sitter.

ACBNYC

« Reply #3723 on: March 26, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
This is a hypothetical situation for me, since the store is in Australia and I'm in the US, but:
http://now.msn.com/just-looking-fee-charged-by-australian-store

The store is going to charge a $5 'just looking' fee which is deducted from your purchase at checkout.  They say they're tired of people coming in just to comparison shop and not buying anything.  If the picture with the article is the actual store, they are a gluten-free food shop.

Do they station someone at the front door and sell tickets or something?  I can't imagine this is going to do them any good at all; the ill-will generated will drive away any customers they might have.

Showrooming is becoming a big problem. Companies like Best Buy are really hurting because people will go look at merchandise in the store, then go online and find the products cheaper elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if many stores started to move to a model like this one. I don't know that it's the best approach, but I don't blame them for trying.

Bluenomi

« Reply #3724 on: March 26, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »
This is a hypothetical situation for me, since the store is in Australia and I'm in the US, but:

The store is going to charge a $5 'just looking' fee which is deducted from your purchase at checkout.  They say they're tired of people coming in just to comparison shop and not buying anything.  If the picture with the article is the actual store, they are a gluten-free food shop.

Do they station someone at the front door and sell tickets or something?  I can't imagine this is going to do them any good at all; the ill-will generated will drive away any customers they might have.

:o  That should go into either Brain Hurt or Professionnal Darwinism.

While I completely understand ( I have been guilty of "showrooming" before), this is going to alienate those who do come in, window shop, and then wind up coming back later.

They would completely lose me as a customer, even if they had the best price for whatever item I wanted to buy.  I would pay more at a different store because I would absolutely refuse to shop at a store with such awful policies.

You and me both. Half the fun of shopping is looking! Alrthough if I do look one place, but know I'm buying elsewhere, I will never advertise that fact. I'll just look, leave adn then do my thing.  I'm going to get it for the best price I can, and if that means seeing it in person in one store, but buying online to get the best deal, so be it.

Then there is the fact that they might not have what you are looking for so you can't buy anything even if you wanted to. I wouldn't go in unless I knew for sure they had what I needed in stock. Plus what if you wanted to buy something less than $5? Do you still get your $5 back?

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3725 on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
In August, when I was trying to make arrangements, in order to register I had to give my credit card number for a $19.99 fee. It may be for the person trying to hire a sitter, not the sitter.

It's been several years since I've been a job seeker but that's how most job posting sites operate. The employers posting the jobs have to pay to post, job seekers don't pay. That kind of system predates the internet too -- employers paid to print job openings in newspapers. Website businesses have to generate revenue somehow otherwise they go out of business.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #3726 on: March 27, 2013, 08:45:07 AM »

Showrooming is becoming a big problem. Companies like Best Buy are really hurting because people will go look at merchandise in the store, then go online and find the products cheaper elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if many stores started to move to a model like this one. I don't know that it's the best approach, but I don't blame them for trying.

The practice might discourage this, but it's also going to discourage people who might not know whether what they need is there from coming in to check, which guarantees that they'll never buy anything there.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3727 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:02 AM »

The practice might discourage this, but it's also going to discourage people who might not know whether what they need is there from coming in to check, which guarantees that they'll never buy anything there.

Rob

Or people like me. My husband and I work very different schedules and rarely have the same days/times off from work. So often times if we're looking to buy something like a piece of furniture, or a TV or something that requires a joint decision, I will go look at the thing on my lunch break and then text him about it so he can go look on his day off/break/whatever. If he also likes it, he will go ahead and buy it. Or if it's a large thing that only needs me to make the decision, I'll tell him about it so he can go buy it since he has a pick-up truck and I have a tiny sedan.

If a place charged $5 for me just to look, I would not go in, and I would just find what I wanted elsewhere or online.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3728 on: March 27, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »

This is basically why I don't buy a Sam's Membership, I can go in on a free one day pass, if I want to buy something I pay a 10% surcharge or buy the membership at that time.  The idea that I have to pay to shop is ridiculous to me.  After looking for free I can shop online for the best price, they are setting themselves up for failure in my mind.  They have never had the best price on a big ticket item for me.  And for the groceries or other everyday items - I don't buy in bulk, it's just me & DD now and I rarely cook a real meal anymore.   

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3729 on: March 27, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
I have a membership to Sams's Club and BJ's Wholesale Club and save nearly $200 a month over buying the same items at my local grocery store. It is not for everyone, but we buy our meat, dairy, staples and produce there. Also, paper products are much cheaper there. There are three of us, and DS eats like the growing teenager he is.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3730 on: March 27, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »
With how my older two are eating, and them not even teenagers quite yet, I have considered getting a membership to Sam's Club.  We don't have a Costco in town so Sam's is the only wholesale club around.   We have the storage space for that amount of food, so I'm starting to wonder if it would truly be worth it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3731 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
With how my older two are eating, and them not even teenagers quite yet, I have considered getting a membership to Sam's Club.  We don't have a Costco in town so Sam's is the only wholesale club around.   We have the storage space for that amount of food, so I'm starting to wonder if it would truly be worth it.
Absolutely, especially if your kids drink a lot of milk.  Grocery store price hovers about $3.79/gallon; BJ's warehouse club price a few days ago was $2.79. I would guess that Sam's is similar.  DH and I alone go through about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons a week. (We drink milk with supper and our usual breakfast is cereal.) That's over $130 a year that I've saved, close to double the price of a warehouse club membership.  And while 'warehouse club' makes you think that all they have is gigantic sized cans and stuff that will go bad before you eat it all, that isn't so.  Bulk buying tends to be multiple quantities of ordinary size units.  So you might be buying 4 normal jars of peanut butter, all shrink-wrapped together, not a gallon jar of peanut butter. Jam ditto, but it might be an assortment of different flavors.  Whole-wheat bread is 2 loaves for $3.79, grocery store price for that brand is about $2.50.  And I'm sure you know how fast American teen boys can put away pbjs!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3732 on: March 27, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Actually my boys tend to prefer cold cut sandwiches at the moment though they don't dislike peanut butter, and with it being Lent, I send them to school with PB sandwiches on Fridays.  Or make them if we're out of cold cuts. 

They'd drink their weight in chocolate milk though.  And they'd eat their weight in yogurt, string cheese, crackers, etc. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

KarenK

« Reply #3733 on: March 27, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
Assisting in the thread derail. I think we save enough money on gas alone to pay for our yearly membership at Sam's Club. Being able to shop business hours (7-10 am) is an added bonus (DH is self-employed). The warehouse pricing on things is fabulous. Just off the top of my head - 3 dozen eggs for less than $4. There's lots more. You have to watch the fresh fruit closely, however. It's not unusual for there to be some rotten ones. And for some reason, the bananas don't last as long as the ones from the regular grocery store.

snowdragon

« Reply #3734 on: March 27, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
Love, Love, Love my BJ's membership ( similar to Sam's but easier to get to for me) I would recommend either membership to anyone, I've had both. Even as a single person, I save enough over the course of year that I more than pay for the membership.