Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1175076 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3855 on: April 10, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »
DH and I are currently looking at houses - not buying yet, but getting a feel for the market. I've noticed that the male real estate agents talk to DH and the female ones talk to me.

We got lucky in that we had a male agent but he talked to both of us and listened to what we both wanted, though fortunately we both wanted the same thing.  The only spot we differed in was number of bathrooms.  He wanted two full, didn't want to settle for 1.5.  I fell in love with this house, and it only had 1.5 baths.  Dh liked it too, but the 1.5 baths made him hem and haw quite a bit.  In the end we bought it, partly because the realtor pointed out that the downstairs bathroom was big enough that it could be made into a full bath. 

Only thing that puzzled me was that he'd show us houses he didn't think we'd want.

I suppose, in his experience, every now and then a customer goes "Well, that's not what I was lo ... WAIT! That's FABULOUS!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Otterpop

« Reply #3856 on: April 10, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »
DH and I are currently looking at houses - not buying yet, but getting a feel for the market. I've noticed that the male real estate agents talk to DH and the female ones talk to me.

We got lucky in that we had a male agent but he talked to both of us and listened to what we both wanted, though fortunately we both wanted the same thing.  The only spot we differed in was number of bathrooms.  He wanted two full, didn't want to settle for 1.5.  I fell in love with this house, and it only had 1.5 baths.  Dh liked it too, but the 1.5 baths made him hem and haw quite a bit.  In the end we bought it, partly because the realtor pointed out that the downstairs bathroom was big enough that it could be made into a full bath. 

Only thing that puzzled me was that he'd show us houses he didn't think we'd want.

I suppose, in his experience, every now and then a customer goes "Well, that's not what I was lo ... WAIT! That's FABULOUS!"

That's exactly how we bought our current house.   You just never know.

Gyburc

« Reply #3857 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
Huntsman spiders aren't that poisonous from what I understand. I had a friend from Australia that said he would sometimes have to take a broom to shoo a particularly large one out of his house before his cats could get it, but they weren't aggressive.

Yet they can be teased to the point where they will attack you. Quite funny as they rear up on their four back legs, wave their four front legs at you and charge menacingly. My brother deserved that for terrorizing the poor thing. He ran away screaming and after I stopped laughing I caught the (not so little) little guy and put him in the garden.

Mind you, in all my 30+ ears of dealing with huntsmans that has been the only time one has ever acted aggressively. Usually they are a benefit to household bug control but they are the kings of surprise spiders as they are most active at night so midnight toilet use can get a little startling sometimes. They are fine to be left alone to wander but stay away from mamas with babies as they do get very protective of their young.

Sydney funnelwebs on the other hand are kill on sight they are so aggressive and dangerous. Same with redbacks and wolf spiders are 50/50. Mostly wolf spiders will leave you alone but relocate them away from your house and pets ASAP as they do have a nasty streak. Orb weavers are sci fi scary but if out of human or pet range leave them be. Trapdoor spiders are the scariest to me and the fastest things I have ever seen when they hunt.

I'm not too fond of spiders but giant moths scare me more especially after the shirt incident which had about 8 hand sized moths zooming about the house and I completely lost my mind. The dog thought it was the best night ever. I refused to hang laundry outside for a month after that.

This? Is why I will never, ever go to Australia.

shivers

:)

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #3858 on: April 10, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »
Huntsman spiders aren't that poisonous from what I understand. I had a friend from Australia that said he would sometimes have to take a broom to shoo a particularly large one out of his house before his cats could get it, but they weren't aggressive.

Yet they can be teased to the point where they will attack you. Quite funny as they rear up on their four back legs, wave their four front legs at you and charge menacingly. My brother deserved that for terrorizing the poor thing. He ran away screaming and after I stopped laughing I caught the (not so little) little guy and put him in the garden.

Mind you, in all my 30+ ears of dealing with huntsmans that has been the only time one has ever acted aggressively. Usually they are a benefit to household bug control but they are the kings of surprise spiders as they are most active at night so midnight toilet use can get a little startling sometimes. They are fine to be left alone to wander but stay away from mamas with babies as they do get very protective of their young.

Sydney funnelwebs on the other hand are kill on sight they are so aggressive and dangerous. Same with redbacks and wolf spiders are 50/50. Mostly wolf spiders will leave you alone but relocate them away from your house and pets ASAP as they do have a nasty streak. Orb weavers are sci fi scary but if out of human or pet range leave them be. Trapdoor spiders are the scariest to me and the fastest things I have ever seen when they hunt.

I'm not too fond of spiders but giant moths scare me more especially after the shirt incident which had about 8 hand sized moths zooming about the house and I completely lost my mind. The dog thought it was the best night ever. I refused to hang laundry outside for a month after that.

shivers

Ditto.

*runs screaming into the night*

Kariachi

« Reply #3859 on: April 10, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »

shivers

Ditto.

That's one country off my 'Places to Eat' list. *goes in search of cute, fuzzy pictures*
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

NyaChan

« Reply #3860 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
I have a question about buying a car for a child.  My husband and I bought our then 16-year-old daughter a used car after she got her license (it was partly a birthday present, too).  We got the overwhelming feeling that the salesperson jacked up the cost when he realized the car was for a much-loved and somewhat indulged daughter.  :)    Our second daughter is hoping to get her license this summer, at which time we're going to buy HER a car - would it make sense to keep it quiet that the car is for her until we've agreed on a price?

For the record, the car we bought Daughter #1 was a 2008 Yaris, priced at $8,900 Canadian.  By the time all the taxes and fees were included, the cost was almost $15,000.    Does that sound exorbitant to anyone else?

I'm in the US so my perception may be skewed, but $6000 in fees and taxes seems like A LOT. Is that including interest paid on an auto loan or did you pay cash?

We paid 16K for a 2008 Versa in winter of 2007 and it was brand new.  Still that was in the US so I don't know what extra fees might be at issue in Canada

BarensMom

« Reply #3861 on: April 10, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »
My sister moved to Arizona 8 years ago.  She has been trying to get me to visit ever since.  However, one remark she made, "when you come down, make sure you bring slippers."  When I inquired why, she said that her carpet is the same color as the scorpions, and, oh yeah, you have to check your slippers and shoes before you put them on.
Nuh-uh.  Not happening.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3862 on: April 10, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »

That's exactly how we bought our current house.   You just never know.

Well one house we would have liked if not for the amount of work needed done to it before we could even move in.  Would have been a fabulous Victorian home but there were some holes in the indoor brickwork and floor of what they called the dining room, and there was a big ol' carriage house out back that would have been great but a fire had damaged it to the point of not being safe. 

Another house had a ceiling that had caved in.  The realtor knew what we had to work with, knew repairs for these homes would be out of our budget and that we wanted to be able to move in as soon as the house was built.  We made it clear we weren't afraid of a little work that was mostly cosmetic and could be done over time, even if we had decided to just bar the kids.   

Plus we were dealing with the VA for a loan and they dragged their feet on approving the loan for this house and it barely had anything wrong with it!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3863 on: April 10, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »
My husband and I collect comic books. The closest shop is about 40 miles away, but a local book store stocks News stand covers. These are usually worth a bit more than the other first prints for the book, so we'll go in there and pick up any that are still in good condition- the book store is rough on their comics, so more often than not, we leave without getting anything.

One day we went in and found a really nice copy of one comic and decided to pick it up. We took it up to the cashier and she rang us up, put the book in the bag, and grabbed our receipt.

She then proceeded to put the receipt on top of the bag to show up the link to a survey at the bottom. It was one of those "rate the service" kind of things...

And she took her pen...

And said "make sure you give me a 10!"

And drew the number 10 and circled it on top of the comic book.

Which effectively left a giant 10 indent on the front of the book.

Comic book grading is incredibly strict...and her drawing on the book had severely reduced the value of the book because it had put a dent/crease in the cover :(

We still go in there, but if we see her working, we walk right back out.

I'd have returned it on the spot.

We tried, but even with the 10 on the cover it was still the best book they had left. I hate buying comics from book stores because they really don't seem to understand that comic books are something that people collect and agonize over.

Did you at least fill out the survey and give her bad marks?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3864 on: April 10, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »

shivers

Ditto.

Shall we all go somewhere nice and tropical then, WITHOUT any giant, icky spiders????? I'm so happy to know that my reluctance to visit Australia because of the creepy crawlies is not mine alone. I know its silly, but I am terrified of spiders and snakes.

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #3865 on: April 10, 2013, 12:44:19 PM »
My husband and I collect comic books. The closest shop is about 40 miles away, but a local book store stocks News stand covers. These are usually worth a bit more than the other first prints for the book, so we'll go in there and pick up any that are still in good condition- the book store is rough on their comics, so more often than not, we leave without getting anything.

One day we went in and found a really nice copy of one comic and decided to pick it up. We took it up to the cashier and she rang us up, put the book in the bag, and grabbed our receipt.

She then proceeded to put the receipt on top of the bag to show up the link to a survey at the bottom. It was one of those "rate the service" kind of things...

And she took her pen...

And said "make sure you give me a 10!"

And drew the number 10 and circled it on top of the comic book.

Which effectively left a giant 10 indent on the front of the book.

Comic book grading is incredibly strict...and her drawing on the book had severely reduced the value of the book because it had put a dent/crease in the cover :(

We still go in there, but if we see her working, we walk right back out.

I'd have returned it on the spot.

We tried, but even with the 10 on the cover it was still the best book they had left. I hate buying comics from book stores because they really don't seem to understand that comic books are something that people collect and agonize over.

Did you at least fill out the survey and give her bad marks?

Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?

It's a bookstore- they assume people want to read the things they sell, not keep them pristine for collecting. And I've often written on a piece of paper over magazines and books without leaving the slightest indent in the covers. An honest mistake should not get her a bad survey. In some places a bad survey can get someone written up or fired.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3866 on: April 10, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »

Carotte

« Reply #3867 on: April 10, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?

The way she went at it with pushing for a 10 and actually writting it would be borderline for me.
Telling people about the survey is fine, joking about the buyers giving a ten is fine, actually writting it is a bit too much.

NyaChan

« Reply #3868 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
I'd also point out that you already knew that this store was rough on its books, so she likely hasn't been trained to be cautious of standards necessary for collecting.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3869 on: April 10, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »
Calistoga ~~  Is there any way you could very carefully iron that little part of the cover to make it flat again?