Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1093981 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3870 on: April 10, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »
Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?

The way she went at it with pushing for a 10 and actually writting it would be borderline for me.
Telling people about the survey is fine, joking about the buyers giving a ten is fine, actually writting it is a bit too much.

The problem there is, more likely than not corporate considers anything not a 10 to be a -infinity.  In other words "If you don't get a perfect score, you've failed in some way.  Why would we want a failure?"

Calistoga ~~  Is there any way you could very carefully iron that little part of the cover to make it flat again?

Not without it being obvious... comic books are serious business.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3871 on: April 10, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »
Sophie Jenkins wrote:

"Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?  It's a bookstore- they assume people want to read the things they sell, not keep them pristine for collecting. And I've often written on a piece of paper over magazines and books without leaving the slightest indent in the covers. An honest mistake should not get her a bad survey. In some places a bad survey can get someone written up or fired."

On the flip side of this, inadvertently damaging goods to the point where many purchasers would demand a refund (more than one poster suggested getting their money back, and I'd have said the same thing) is something that the store needs to address.  A cashier who bagged stuff badly and thereby caused damage may have made an honest mistake but it's still a problem.

Sure, it's not their core product, but if you're going to sell a product it's reasonable to figure out what your clientele is going to demand and train your staff.  Calistoga herself said that she hates buying comics from bookstores because of this, and she's far from rare in that regard, so a bookstore that took care with their comic titles would draw in people like her.  If the cashier (and the management) gets the message that what she did was damaging to the comic, one would hope that they'll all be more careful with them in the future and that can easily translate to more business.

Virg

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #3872 on: April 10, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »
Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?

The way she went at it with pushing for a 10 and actually writting it would be borderline for me.
Telling people about the survey is fine, joking about the buyers giving a ten is fine, actually writting it is a bit too much.

At one place I worked we were required by our district manager to specifically request top scores and to write it on the receipts. So it might have been the cashier being too pushy or it might have been a corporate requirement.

That doesn't make it okay to push for high scores, but it does mean that the wrong person can get blamed.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #3873 on: April 10, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »
I canít remember if I posted this here or not.  We went to a mom-n-pop restaurant in a neighboring town I used to live in. The food was fantastic when I lived there before (about 15 years earlier) so I was excited to try it again.   First 2 times we went the food was just as good as I remembered but was a bit surprised at the lack of customers. Oh well, it is near the marina and it is winter, the town kind of dies down during that time of year anyway. 

3rd time we went may have explained the lack of customers. WulfiePartner took a bite of her salad and a huge roach ran across her plate. The worst part was not that they had roaches; it was the way they responded. They did not seem surprised or upset that they had them and that they had come out on her plate. They just offered us a free slice of pie to make up for it.
Last time we went there! 

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #3874 on: April 10, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
Quote from: Sophie Jenkins
"Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?  It's a bookstore- they assume people want to read the things they sell, not keep them pristine for collecting. And I've often written on a piece of paper over magazines and books without leaving the slightest indent in the covers. An honest mistake should not get her a bad survey. In some places a bad survey can get someone written up or fired."

On the flip side of this, inadvertently damaging goods to the point where many purchasers would demand a refund (more than one poster suggested getting their money back, and I'd have said the same thing) is something that the store needs to address.  A cashier who bagged stuff badly and thereby caused damage may have made an honest mistake but it's still a problem.

Sure, it's not their core product, but if you're going to sell a product it's reasonable to figure out what your clientele is going to demand and train your staff.  Calistoga herself said that she hates buying comics from bookstores because of this, and she's far from rare in that regard, so a bookstore that took care with their comic titles would draw in people like her.  If the cashier (and the management) gets the message that what she did was damaging to the comic, one would hope that they'll all be more careful with them in the future and that can easily translate to more business.

Virg

If only corporate decisions were that reasonable and they chose to allow on-the-clock time for training people in things like that... I can dream!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3875 on: April 10, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »
Sophie Jenkins wrote:

"If only corporate decisions were that reasonable and they chose to allow on-the-clock time for training people in things like that... I can dream!"

I agree that corporate policies can be counterproductive sometimes, but that possibility doesn't make it a bad idea to describe what went wrong on a survey and it doesn't make the customer responsible if the company handles it badly.  If Calistoga doesn't say anything, it'll never get any better, and if she does it just might.

Virg

Kariachi

« Reply #3876 on: April 10, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature ó that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3877 on: April 10, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
Sophie Jenkins wrote:

"If only corporate decisions were that reasonable and they chose to allow on-the-clock time for training people in things like that... I can dream!"

I agree that corporate policies can be counterproductive sometimes, but that possibility doesn't make it a bad idea to describe what went wrong on a survey and it doesn't make the customer responsible if the company handles it badly.  If Calistoga doesn't say anything, it'll never get any better, and if she does it just might.

Virg

This.  At my local Arby's drive-through, the speaker would ask a question and, before giving you time to answer, would tell you to hold on.  I hated it, so I called and complained to a manager.  I said that I realize it is probably corporate forcing them to do this, but please let corporate know that I am complaining because I think it's rude.  A week later, the manager called me back; corporate had received many complaints and had directed them to stop doing it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Amara

« Reply #3878 on: April 10, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
Never heard of coconut crabs before. Lord, but they are LARGE. Wikipedia has a photograph of two climbing the trunks of coconut trees and ... they take up at least half the trunk without their claws extended!

That said, Wikipedia also had this, which I found extremely interesting: Coconut crabs may be responsible for the disappearance of Amelia Earhart's remains, consuming them after her death and hoarding her skeletal remnants in their burrows.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3879 on: April 10, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »
Yes, the tropical version of giant spider! I have read about them for years and they are fascinating, but scary too.

Cami

« Reply #3880 on: April 10, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »

At one place I worked we were required by our district manager to specifically request top scores and to write it on the receipts. So it might have been the cashier being too pushy or it might have been a corporate requirement.

That doesn't make it okay to push for high scores, but it does mean that the wrong person can get blamed.
My dd worked retail and was required to point out the survey and required to ask for a 10. Failing to do so would get the employee a reprimand. Failing to do so five times would get the employee fired.

Hillia

« Reply #3881 on: April 10, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »

My dd worked retail and was required to point out the survey and required to ask for a 10. Failing to do so would get the employee a reprimand. Failing to do so five times would get the employee fired.

So, wow, those surveys really provided useful feedback.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Iris

« Reply #3882 on: April 10, 2013, 05:13:42 PM »
Huntsman spiders aren't that poisonous from what I understand. I had a friend from Australia that said he would sometimes have to take a broom to shoo a particularly large one out of his house before his cats could get it, but they weren't aggressive.

Yet they can be teased to the point where they will attack you. Quite funny as they rear up on their four back legs, wave their four front legs at you and charge menacingly. My brother deserved that for terrorizing the poor thing. He ran away screaming and after I stopped laughing I caught the (not so little) little guy and put him in the garden.

Mind you, in all my 30+ ears of dealing with huntsmans that has been the only time one has ever acted aggressively. Usually they are a benefit to household bug control but they are the kings of surprise spiders as they are most active at night so midnight toilet use can get a little startling sometimes. They are fine to be left alone to wander but stay away from mamas with babies as they do get very protective of their young.

Sydney funnelwebs on the other hand are kill on sight they are so aggressive and dangerous. Same with redbacks and wolf spiders are 50/50. Mostly wolf spiders will leave you alone but relocate them away from your house and pets ASAP as they do have a nasty streak. Orb weavers are sci fi scary but if out of human or pet range leave them be. Trapdoor spiders are the scariest to me and the fastest things I have ever seen when they hunt.

I'm not too fond of spiders but giant moths scare me more especially after the shirt incident which had about 8 hand sized moths zooming about the house and I completely lost my mind. The dog thought it was the best night ever. I refused to hang laundry outside for a month after that.

This? Is why I will never, ever go to Australia.

shivers

:)

Ditto.

*runs screaming into the night*

Shall we all go somewhere nice and tropical then, WITHOUT any giant, icky spiders????? I'm so happy to know that my reluctance to visit Australia because of the creepy crawlies is not mine alone. I know its silly, but I am terrified of spiders and snakes.

I was at a wedding with a bunch of USians (in Australia) one time. Although in general they were lovely and interesting people they went on (and ON) about the spiders and snakes thing. My two responses were

1. Yes, we do have poisonous spiders and snakes, but it:'s not like they hang out on the street corner and hassle you when you go past. I share an area with two types of venomous snake another last time I actually saw one was a good decade ago. And I walk through the bush often.

2. You have BEARS! AND random crazy people are allowed to buy guns (this is hyperbole, please don't get political at me). From the outside that looks pretty scary and yet millions and millions and millions of you manage to survive. Despite the bears! We all just learn to live with our own local dangers, I guess.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #3883 on: April 10, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »
I hear you!  I walked out of my apartment building late last summer and there was a rattlesnake in the rose bushes that started rattling at me.  Lucky for me I knew the sound. 

Diamondbacks have the right of way.

I'm right in the middle of the business district in a good sized city. 

I've also encountered deer, moose, and very ticked off raccoons.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3884 on: April 10, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »
My aunt woke up some 20 years ago to a fight in her back yard - the feral cat that had kittens in their backyard (and her kids had adopted the kittens already) was having a fight with skunk.  (Butyl mercaptin is a very effective wake up call - even without the noises of the fight).

This was near Dallas, in a large development, no "open country" nearby....so they hadn't gotten the cat any rabies shots......

She ended up hand raising the kittens.  One of them went to Ambrosia Hino - Princess (gray long hair but without the cobby Persian build or face) lived for about seventeen years and was always a very gentle, loving cat.

We made sure to get her the various vaccinations even though we lived in developed areas.

And the only way to relate this to "I'm never shopping there again" was we didn't take her back to one vet after he put his foot in it putting our other cat down........Bandit was alone when he died, even though the staff was requested by phone and in person to wait until VorGuy and Ambrosia Hino got back.  I had a seven month old infant on my hands and could not arrange to be either at the vet's office or dig the grave.  I did find a blanket or towel for wrapping him up - they came back and spent maybe about fifteen to twenty minutes driving there, getting the wrappings, then driving back, and they got back to the office to find him gone. 

And the vet and his staff tried to tell them that it didn't matter.......
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:21:25 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?