Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1273825 times)

wheeitsme

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3885 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »

I was at a wedding with a bunch of USians (in Australia) one time. Although in general they were lovely and interesting people they went on (and ON) about the spiders and snakes thing. My two responses were

1. Yes, we do have poisonous spiders and snakes, but it:'s not like they hang out on the street corner and hassle you when you go past. I share an area with two types of venomous snake another last time I actually saw one was a good decade ago. And I walk through the bush often.

2. You have BEARS! AND random crazy people are allowed to buy guns (this is hyperbole, please don't get political at me). From the outside that looks pretty scary and yet millions and millions and millions of you manage to survive. Despite the bears! We all just learn to live with our own local dangers, I guess.

(trimming the quote tree)

LOL, I used to live in Yosemite.  Bears are fine.  The only bears that need worrying about are mainly in Alaska and Colorado.  Polar bears and Grizzly bears.  Almost everywhere else are just brown and blacks.  And as long as you don't bug momma and her babes, or come between them and bacon, you're fine. 

No, in Yosemite what I always worried about were the mountain lions and coyotes in large packs. 

And the only animal that ever killed a human in Yosemite Valley was a mule deer.

...and as Lorelei_Evil mentioned them, ticked off raccoons can be seriously scary.

I tend to believe that because Australia can be such a unique and diversely harsh environment, it's creatures have evolved in ways that surprise and startle the rest of us.

mmswm

« Reply #3886 on: April 10, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »

I was at a wedding with a bunch of USians (in Australia) one time. Although in general they were lovely and interesting people they went on (and ON) about the spiders and snakes thing. My two responses were

1. Yes, we do have poisonous spiders and snakes, but it:'s not like they hang out on the street corner and hassle you when you go past. I share an area with two types of venomous snake another last time I actually saw one was a good decade ago. And I walk through the bush often.

2. You have BEARS! AND random crazy people are allowed to buy guns (this is hyperbole, please don't get political at me). From the outside that looks pretty scary and yet millions and millions and millions of you manage to survive. Despite the bears! We all just learn to live with our own local dangers, I guess.

LOL, I used to live in Yosemite.  Bears are fine.  The only bears that need worrying about are mainly in Alaska and Colorado.  Polar bears and Grizzly bears.  Almost everywhere else are just brown and blacks.  And as long as you don't bug momma and her babes, or come between them and bacon, you're fine. 

No, in Yosemite what I always worried about were the mountain lions and coyotes in large packs. 

And the only animal that ever killed a human in Yosemite Valley was a mule deer.

...and as Lorelei_Evil mentioned them, ticked off raccoons can be seriously scary.

I tend to believe that because Australia can be such a unique and diversely harsh environment, it's creatures have evolved in ways that surprise and startle the rest of us.

Don't forget the crocodiles and alligators and coral snakes in South Florida.

When I was in grad school we had what we thought was a single crocodile take up residence in the lake in the middle of campus.  On a nice day, if the fountain wasn't running, you could see him up on the platform in the middle of the lake sunning himself, ignoring everybody.  This was at The U of Miami, in the middle of a very large city. Turns out it wasn't a single croc, it was a mated pair. We didn't do much about it until they got fairly large.  Then they tried to get rid of them, but they kept coming back.  We always told new students that the crocodiles were more than welcome, since the weren't 'gators. (For those that don't know, one of UM's major rivals is the University of Florida, and their mascot is the Gators).

/end threadjack.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3887 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3888 on: April 10, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
I first saw coconuts crabs in a LOL picture. It's the one of the crab on the garbage can, with the caption: "Honey, it's your turn to take out the trash. I've never been more certain of anything in my life."

ETA: Click on link at your own risk. Giant crab.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:41:21 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Amara

« Reply #3889 on: April 10, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
AAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

Don't--I repeat DON'T--click that link unless you want nightmares for a year. Or love giant things.

On the other hand, that could probably feed a dozen people--if you could find a pot large enough for it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3890 on: April 10, 2013, 06:37:12 PM »
Heck with the pot, I want a LEASH!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #3891 on: April 10, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »
I was thinking whip and chair, but you could probably just distract it with a mango.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #3892 on: April 10, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
Huntsman spiders aren't that poisonous from what I understand. I had a friend from Australia that said he would sometimes have to take a broom to shoo a particularly large one out of his house before his cats could get it, but they weren't aggressive.

Yet they can be teased to the point where they will attack you. Quite funny as they rear up on their four back legs, wave their four front legs at you and charge menacingly. My brother deserved that for terrorizing the poor thing. He ran away screaming and after I stopped laughing I caught the (not so little) little guy and put him in the garden.

Mind you, in all my 30+ ears of dealing with huntsmans that has been the only time one has ever acted aggressively. Usually they are a benefit to household bug control but they are the kings of surprise spiders as they are most active at night so midnight toilet use can get a little startling sometimes. They are fine to be left alone to wander but stay away from mamas with babies as they do get very protective of their young.

Sydney funnelwebs on the other hand are kill on sight they are so aggressive and dangerous. Same with redbacks and wolf spiders are 50/50. Mostly wolf spiders will leave you alone but relocate them away from your house and pets ASAP as they do have a nasty streak. Orb weavers are sci fi scary but if out of human or pet range leave them be. Trapdoor spiders are the scariest to me and the fastest things I have ever seen when they hunt.

I'm not too fond of spiders but giant moths scare me more especially after the shirt incident which had about 8 hand sized moths zooming about the house and I completely lost my mind. The dog thought it was the best night ever. I refused to hang laundry outside for a month after that.

I wonder how a few huntsmen would like to live at our house... Any aussies wanna send me a care package? I can offer ratsnakes and texas taratula's in return...  :P

Probably too cold for the little dears though.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #3893 on: April 10, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
Huntsman spiders aren't that poisonous from what I understand. I had a friend from Australia that said he would sometimes have to take a broom to shoo a particularly large one out of his house before his cats could get it, but they weren't aggressive.

Yet they can be teased to the point where they will attack you. Quite funny as they rear up on their four back legs, wave their four front legs at you and charge menacingly. My brother deserved that for terrorizing the poor thing. He ran away screaming and after I stopped laughing I caught the (not so little) little guy and put him in the garden.

Mind you, in all my 30+ ears of dealing with huntsmans that has been the only time one has ever acted aggressively. Usually they are a benefit to household bug control but they are the kings of surprise spiders as they are most active at night so midnight toilet use can get a little startling sometimes. They are fine to be left alone to wander but stay away from mamas with babies as they do get very protective of their young.

Sydney funnelwebs on the other hand are kill on sight they are so aggressive and dangerous. Same with redbacks and wolf spiders are 50/50. Mostly wolf spiders will leave you alone but relocate them away from your house and pets ASAP as they do have a nasty streak. Orb weavers are sci fi scary but if out of human or pet range leave them be. Trapdoor spiders are the scariest to me and the fastest things I have ever seen when they hunt.

I'm not too fond of spiders but giant moths scare me more especially after the shirt incident which had about 8 hand sized moths zooming about the house and I completely lost my mind. The dog thought it was the best night ever. I refused to hang laundry outside for a month after that.

This? Is why I will never, ever go to Australia.

shivers

:)

Ditto.

*runs screaming into the night*

That's one country off my 'Places to Eat' list. *goes in search of cute, fuzzy pictures*

Like this one?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lynfrzwYzV1r1r981.jpg

Its cute, fuzzy AND thoughtful.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Kariachi

« Reply #3894 on: April 10, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »

Lived in Colorado, never worried about any of the bears. Worried about my cat, who kept trying to go out and throw the mama bears out of the carport...

And yes, we have bears, but ya know what? At no point have I ever got up in the middle of the night, walked to the bathroom, flicked on the light, and seen a grizzly hanging out on the toilet seat. And I sure as hedge have never looked down to find one crawling up my arm or leg. Bears are chainsaw-maniac scary, spiders are "the calls are coming from inside the house" scary.

Like this one?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lynfrzwYzV1r1r981.jpg

Its cute, fuzzy AND thoughtful.

Awwww! Give me a tiny jumping spider over kittens any day!

Yes, I know, I'm horrible at being scared of spiders.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3895 on: April 10, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »
LOL! That's exactly the kind of scary they are! I live in Colorado and have, in fact, seen a bear near my house. I also encountered a baby bear on the road a mile or so from my house. I'd much rather that than checking my slippers for scorpions or spiders.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Minmom3

« Reply #3896 on: April 10, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »
My sister moved to Arizona 8 years ago.  She has been trying to get me to visit ever since.  However, one remark she made, "when you come down, make sure you bring slippers."  When I inquired why, she said that her carpet is the same color as the scorpions, and, oh yeah, you have to check your slippers and shoes before you put them on.
Nuh-uh.  Not happening.

I lived in Tucson for 2.5 years - in 8th, 9th, and half of 10th grade.  We never had bug life in the house.  That may have been because the cat chased them out or ate them, but, no, not once did we find bugs inside.  Cat brought in field mice more than once that I had to catch and get back outside.  The only place I ever saw the ginormous scorpions and centipedes was out at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.  Creepy but fascinating place.  I did, however, regularly see and crunch big damned tarantulas on my bicycle...  Couldn't always avoid them, no matter how hard I tried.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3897 on: April 10, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »
That was actually something that took a lot of adjustment moving from the northern US to the southern US - where I grew up, you just don't get vermin in your house unless you or someone else in your building (if you're in a townhouse/apartment/condo) is a really bad housekeeper, because rats and cockroaches can't live outside for most of the year.  Here in Alabama we get occasional cockroaches all the time, even with pest control coming once a month, because they live very happily outdoors as well as indoors.  Even if everyone in my neighborhood keeps perfectly clean houses, there are plenty of woodpiles, drainage ditches, and *shudder* valve access holes for them to hide in.

(Around here, every house has a ~1' hole somewhere in the front yard with a metal lid on it, under which is the shutoff valve for the water and whatnot.  They're an ideal place for creepy crawlies to live in.  Our current one is infested with cockroaches, but our last house had black widows  :-[)

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #3898 on: April 11, 2013, 01:08:03 AM »
As interesting as creepy and cuty animals are, can we please stop it and give it its own thread? It becomes kina derailing.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3899 on: April 11, 2013, 01:10:42 AM »
Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?

The way she went at it with pushing for a 10 and actually writting it would be borderline for me.
Telling people about the survey is fine, joking about the buyers giving a ten is fine, actually writting it is a bit too much.

At one place I worked we were required by our district manager to specifically request top scores and to write it on the receipts. So it might have been the cashier being too pushy or it might have been a corporate requirement.

That doesn't make it okay to push for high scores, but it does mean that the wrong person can get blamed.
My dd worked retail and was required to point out the survey and required to ask for a 10. Failing to do so would get the employee a reprimand. Failing to do so five times would get the employee fired.
Whenever that happens I check out the survey to see if it's one where I can leave a comment as well. If not, I don't fill it out. If so, I give a low score (how low depends on the general transaction. Generally I subtract 1-2 from my original score) and leave a comment saying that it would have been a @whatever if I hadn't been pushed to give a perfect score.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice