Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1212838 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3900 on: April 11, 2013, 02:17:55 AM »
Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?

The way she went at it with pushing for a 10 and actually writting it would be borderline for me.
Telling people about the survey is fine, joking about the buyers giving a ten is fine, actually writting it is a bit too much.

At one place I worked we were required by our district manager to specifically request top scores and to write it on the receipts. So it might have been the cashier being too pushy or it might have been a corporate requirement.

That doesn't make it okay to push for high scores, but it does mean that the wrong person can get blamed.
My dd worked retail and was required to point out the survey and required to ask for a 10. Failing to do so would get the employee a reprimand. Failing to do so five times would get the employee fired.
Whenever that happens I check out the survey to see if it's one where I can leave a comment as well. If not, I don't fill it out. If so, I give a low score (how low depends on the general transaction. Generally I subtract 1-2 from my original score) and leave a comment saying that it would have been a @whatever if I hadn't been pushed to give a perfect score.

Where M used to work, enough non-10 scores would cause a visit from the District Manager, and no one wanted that.  Reasons didn't matter, it was just any score other than a 10.

mmswm

« Reply #3901 on: April 11, 2013, 03:37:59 AM »
I don't understand that mentality.  There's always room for improvement somewhere within a store, and not everybody likes the same things, so not everybody will think that any given set up is wonderful. Any corporate belief that their customers are robots who will all like the same things are headed for low morale and high turnover in the rank and file.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #3902 on: April 11, 2013, 06:40:42 AM »
I don't understand that mentality.  There's always room for improvement somewhere within a store, and not everybody likes the same things, so not everybody will think that any given set up is wonderful. Any corporate belief that their customers are robots who will all like the same things are headed for low morale and high turnover in the rank and file.

I did mention M *used* to work there, yes?  :)

And it's actually very common when these things are done, as I'm led to believe.

Hillia

« Reply #3903 on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:18 AM »

I did mention M *used* to work there, yes?  :)

And it's actually very common when these things are done, as I'm led to believe.

I was talking to DH about this; he worked for 5 years for a major retailer and they were required to push these surveys.  He said corporate isn't looking for any useful feedback, they just want to be able to say how high the customer satisfaction score is.  They would sift through the surveys and use any justification to discard a negative review: situation out of their control, unique situation, etc, then use the handpicked positive results to give themselves a 4 star rating.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #3904 on: April 11, 2013, 08:31:33 AM »
Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?

The way she went at it with pushing for a 10 and actually writting it would be borderline for me.
Telling people about the survey is fine, joking about the buyers giving a ten is fine, actually writting it is a bit too much.

At one place I worked we were required by our district manager to specifically request top scores and to write it on the receipts. So it might have been the cashier being too pushy or it might have been a corporate requirement.

That doesn't make it okay to push for high scores, but it does mean that the wrong person can get blamed.
My dd worked retail and was required to point out the survey and required to ask for a 10. Failing to do so would get the employee a reprimand. Failing to do so five times would get the employee fired.

Which would be counterproductive for me, because I pretty much automatically downgrade anyone who asks for a 10.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #3905 on: April 11, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »

Which would be counterproductive for me, because I pretty much automatically downgrade anyone who asks for a 10.

Rob

Usually, they're required to be corporate, which means punishing the branch and cashier for corporate policy.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #3906 on: April 11, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
When my DH sold cars, he had to ask customers to fill out those surveys. If he got back a survey with anything other than 'Excellent' across the board, his paycheck got docked $25. Yep, even if it was 9 Excellents and 1 Very Good. Yep, even if the less than Excellent score was about the financing person or cleanliness of the restroom or something else out of his control.

It was infuriating.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3907 on: April 11, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
I no longer fill those surveys out because unless you walked on water to take care of me, I'm not giving you a 10 out of 10.

If it is normal, good service, I'll rate you a 7 or 8.  If it was above and beyond service, I'll rate you an 8 or 9.  The only way you'd get a 10 is if you anticipated what I wanted before I even knew that was what I wanted!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mediancat

« Reply #3908 on: April 11, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
Quite possibly, but it still annoys me, and I'm grading on whether or not I received good service, and this isn't good service. I always mention that that's why in the comments, if comments are allowed, but I'm not going to let this kind of thing slide.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Mediancat

« Reply #3909 on: April 11, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »
And the thing is, I'm not going to give 10s across the board if the company doesn't actually deserve the 10s. 10s to me indicate that you went well above and beyond -- the equivalent of a server earning a 25% tip or better. 20% tip service, good to very good service, does not earn a 10, and I'm not going to be guilted in to giving a 10 because of poor corporate policy.

Rob

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #3910 on: April 11, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
The thing is though, the way it's structured, 10 isn't "exceptional", 10 is "adequate".

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3911 on: April 11, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
Can we move the survey discussion to it's own thread please :)

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #3912 on: April 11, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
Sorry, it didn't seem terribly off-topic to me, given that these surveys might (and in one case, did!) prompt someone to avid a business.

Mediancat

« Reply #3913 on: April 11, 2013, 11:32:18 AM »
The thing is though, the way it's structured, 10 isn't "exceptional", 10 is "adequate".

Maybe; but then that's the company's fault for having unrealistic expectations and a skewed grading system.

And now I will move away from the topic, per request.

Rob

faithlessone

« Reply #3914 on: April 11, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
I won't stop shopping at Whittards, but I'm seriously considering doing all my purchases online from now on.

The last few times I've been to my local branch, the sales assistants have been quite "enthusiastic", to say the least, but today was utter nuts.

I just popped in there to get another jar of my favourite instant coffee. Between picking up the jar and getting to the till (approximately 5 metres, if that), I was asked by two separate shop assistants if I needed any help. Fair enough. I held up the jar and said "Just this, thanks" to both of them, and they backed off.

However, when I got to the till, the cashier:

- asked me if I was sure I only wanted one jar. (Well, duh, if I'd wanted more, I would have picked up more. Surely?)
- tried to persuade me into buying ground coffee instead of instant. (I don't have a coffee maker.)
- tried to persuade me into buying a coffee maker / percolator. (I don't want a coffee maker. I am a heathen who likes instant!)
- asked me if I'd considered buying any tea or hot chocolate products. (I came in for the coffee, dude.)
- asked me if I'd had a chance to look at their china cups/mugs. (Seriously, I just came in for the coffee.)
- asked me if I wanted to buy some single-serve-sachets of their new instant tea flavours - "only 1 today!". (There is a massive sign, and no, I don't.)
- asked me if I wanted to be on their mailing list, and sounded quite put out when I said I already was. (Which I am.)
- started on a clearly practised lecture on the evils of plastic bags. (At this point, I had to interrupt him, and tell him that I didn't need a bag, but that I was in a bit of a hurry.)

After all this, he then finally got around to actually scanning my jar of coffee, and letting me pay, but I could tell that he wasn't happy that I hadn't taken any of his other suggestions. All in all, a quite uncomfortable experience, which lasted almost 15 minutes when it could have been done in 2.

So yeah, I think I'm going to shop online from now on. :(