Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1102252 times)

Cami

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3915 on: April 11, 2013, 12:22:25 PM »
Because she wasn't aware that it was meant to be a collectible and that writing on a receipt +bag over the comic would do so much damage?

The way she went at it with pushing for a 10 and actually writting it would be borderline for me.
Telling people about the survey is fine, joking about the buyers giving a ten is fine, actually writting it is a bit too much.

At one place I worked we were required by our district manager to specifically request top scores and to write it on the receipts. So it might have been the cashier being too pushy or it might have been a corporate requirement.

That doesn't make it okay to push for high scores, but it does mean that the wrong person can get blamed.
My dd worked retail and was required to point out the survey and required to ask for a 10. Failing to do so would get the employee a reprimand. Failing to do so five times would get the employee fired.

Which would be counterproductive for me, because I pretty much automatically downgrade anyone who asks for a 10.

Rob
You need to keep in mind that you're punishing the cashier for doing as they are required.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3916 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
I had one today. I use a CPAP machine, and the masks you use with them are a prescription item. I thought I had to go through the medical goods firm that my insurance company recommends - and they charge me, until I've met my deductible, aprox $400US for a mask kit. Exorbitant, but I was OK with it - thought that was my only option, service was reasonable, etc. Then I had an issue with something being billed incorrectly, and they got very snarky with me. So I started looking around. Found that I could just buy the masks, without the insurance, for less than 25% of what I was paying. Thought I'd check with the DME and see if they would price match - after all, I'd be saving myself $$$ and my insurance company $$$ -  they pretty much told me to pound sand. So I bought them from a wholesaler instead of through the insurance people.

Shame - we'd been buying $$$$$ from the medical goods firm since DP got out of the hospital, and will continue to buy $$$$$ from someone - but I don't think it'll be that company, after the way they treated me. I mean, tell me it's not possible, that's one thing, but to be snarky over their mistake and then over a simple, routine request?? No thanks.

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #3917 on: April 11, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »
And the thing is, I'm not going to give 10s across the board if the company doesn't actually deserve the 10s. 10s to me indicate that you went well above and beyond -- the equivalent of a server earning a 25% tip or better. 20% tip service, good to very good service, does not earn a 10, and I'm not going to be guilted in to giving a 10 because of poor corporate policy.

Rob

If what you're hoping to effect with your surveys is actual change within a company, you'd be far better off contacting corporate directly. Poor surveys don't send any message to corporate other than telling them who they need to punish for following their own ridiculous corporate requirements.

Nothing cashiers do lets them win- follow corporate guidelines and customers are unhappy and get them in trouble. Don't follow corporate guidelines to keep the customers happy and they get in trouble for not following guidelines.

Better to not fill out a survey at all than get someone in trouble for something they have no control over.

Carotte

« Reply #3918 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
Well, I think my bank will soon get the boot, depending on how they are going to explain how it came to be that I'm making a transfer to myself now  :o.
Background: for the past ten years or so my mom has made a monthly deposit of 15 every months, it's called "permanent transfer LASTNAME". This month (havent checked las month statement yet), I have a "permanet transfer LASTNAME" in my debit and one in my credit line.
Checked online, both are from/to my account, with my name (we have the same LASTNAME). And none from my mother.

Unless they appologize and bend backward while serving me maccarons I'm leaving, pronto. I was already thinking about since some of their charges are much higher than other banks.

They messed two peoples account (we do have the same lastname and bank, and my mothers has a right to handle mine if I'm away or unable but that's not a reason!), made her deposit vanish and created a new monthly deposit that I never agreed upon.
And it takes them 14 days to have the deposit appear in the depositee account? I might be wrong but I bet other banks are faster than that!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3919 on: April 11, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »
I started a spin-off thread for the customer survey discussion.

Jocelyn

« Reply #3920 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:50 PM »
I had one today. I use a CPAP machine, and the masks you use with them are a prescription item. I thought I had to go through the medical goods firm that my insurance company recommends - and they charge me, until I've met my deductible, aprox $400US for a mask kit. Exorbitant, but I was OK with it - thought that was my only option, service was reasonable, etc. Then I had an issue with something being billed incorrectly, and they got very snarky with me. So I started looking around. Found that I could just buy the masks, without the insurance, for less than 25% of what I was paying. Thought I'd check with the DME and see if they would price match - after all, I'd be saving myself $$$ and my insurance company $$$ -  they pretty much told me to pound sand. So I bought them from a wholesaler instead of through the insurance people.

Shame - we'd been buying $$$$$ from the medical goods firm since DP got out of the hospital, and will continue to buy $$$$$ from someone - but I don't think it'll be that company, after the way they treated me. I mean, tell me it's not possible, that's one thing, but to be snarky over their mistake and then over a simple, routine request?? No thanks.

CPAP.com
A friend gave me the referral, and I've been happy with the things I've bought from them. Huge selection, and much cheaper than my previous provider.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3921 on: April 11, 2013, 11:42:13 PM »
This is kind of more like a product review  ;) but I was really disappointed.  I was intrigued by the concept of getting our phone line via our DSL - right now we pay for local calls and DSL through our phone company and long-distance through a 3rd party.  The phone company won't give us a bundle discount because apparently local doesn't count for that, so we pay ~$40/month between the two phone bills (not counting our cell phones, which we use minimally).  There are a few companies which offer devices that do this - MagicJack advertised the most, but I read some reviews and thought NetDUO sounded the best.  ~$80 covered the gear and the first year, then it would be $30/YEAR after that (instead of $40/month).  Huge savings, right?

I've gone back and forth on this, but my conclusion is that the call quality varies between "slightly better than adequate" and "completely useless."  As in, I was all ready to call our phone company and cancel our regular landline, but the interference on the call was so bad the phone tree couldn't figure out what buttons I was pressing.  It seems like most of the time, the call will be reasonably clear on one end and staticky on the other.

As much as I'd love to save $450/year on my phone bill, I want my phone to actually be useful as a phone!  I guess the next step is to add up how much time DH and I actually spend on our phones and see whether that $450/year would pay for us to have phones we could use for more than just emergencies . . .

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3922 on: April 12, 2013, 12:04:23 AM »
A friend of mine bought a MagicJack to take to England when she moved, so she'd have a US number available for family & friends to call her. Works like a charm, I can't hear the difference.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3923 on: April 12, 2013, 01:20:22 AM »
Grr, just spent the last half an hour perusing my phone company's website.  On a whim, I decided to check the company-assigned email address they won't let me change and which I've never actually checked since I first became a customer in 2003.  Apparently sometime between when I signed up for "unlimited" DSL and now, they a) put a cap on bandwidth, and b) started sending me threatening emails that I was getting close to going over it.  To the email address I have never read and only marginally knew existed.  Oh, and the notice that they're raising my DSL bill by $3/month starting with my next bill?  Yeah, that went to the phantom email address too.

I would switch companies if I could - and since I'm not 100% tied to the idea of a landline, I might actually have the freedom to do so.  Nothing makes you feel like a chump quite like seeing an advertised rate for new customers at less than half what you're getting charged for the same exact service  :-\

Carotte

« Reply #3924 on: April 12, 2013, 05:49:49 AM »

I would switch companies if I could - and since I'm not 100% tied to the idea of a landline, I might actually have the freedom to do so.  Nothing makes you feel like a chump quite like seeing an advertised rate for new customers at less than half what you're getting charged for the same exact service  :-\

Same goes for banks and what mine charges vs. what others have free... You do have to excavate the info as to what/when it is free, but I'm eligible for most anyway if i move my two accounts.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3925 on: April 12, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
I won't stop shopping at Whittards, but I'm seriously considering doing all my purchases online from now on.

The last few times I've been to my local branch, the sales assistants have been quite "enthusiastic", to say the least, but today was utter nuts.

I just popped in there to get another jar of my favourite instant coffee. Between picking up the jar and getting to the till (approximately 5 metres, if that), I was asked by two separate shop assistants if I needed any help. Fair enough. I held up the jar and said "Just this, thanks" to both of them, and they backed off.

However, when I got to the till, the cashier:

- asked me if I was sure I only wanted one jar. (Well, duh, if I'd wanted more, I would have picked up more. Surely?)
- tried to persuade me into buying ground coffee instead of instant. (I don't have a coffee maker.)
- tried to persuade me into buying a coffee maker / percolator. (I don't want a coffee maker. I am a heathen who likes instant!)
- asked me if I'd considered buying any tea or hot chocolate products. (I came in for the coffee, dude.)
- asked me if I'd had a chance to look at their china cups/mugs. (Seriously, I just came in for the coffee.)
- asked me if I wanted to buy some single-serve-sachets of their new instant tea flavours - "only 1 today!". (There is a massive sign, and no, I don't.)
- asked me if I wanted to be on their mailing list, and sounded quite put out when I said I already was. (Which I am.)
- started on a clearly practised lecture on the evils of plastic bags. (At this point, I had to interrupt him, and tell him that I didn't need a bag, but that I was in a bit of a hurry.)

After all this, he then finally got around to actually scanning my jar of coffee, and letting me pay, but I could tell that he wasn't happy that I hadn't taken any of his other suggestions. All in all, a quite uncomfortable experience, which lasted almost 15 minutes when it could have been done in 2.

So yeah, I think I'm going to shop online from now on. :(

Please consider contacting corporate with a generic complaint about the employees trying to up-sell you (I say generic because if the man you were dealing with was, in fact, doing what he was directed to do then I'd hate to see him get complained about personally).

At my last job we had to treat customers like that and believe me, we hated it as much as they did. Unfortunately getting caught not offering "selling suggestions" was a big deal and would get you called into the manager's office for a lecture. We not only had secret shoppers but they'd send employees from other stores around to act like customers and check up on us. Finally after enough customers complained they put a stop to it.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3926 on: April 12, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
CPAP.com
A friend gave me the referral, and I've been happy with the things I've bought from them. Huge selection, and much cheaper than my previous provider.
Actually, that's who I went with! I've also now recommended them to my mother - they have been great so far. :-)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3927 on: April 12, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
This is kind of more like a product review  ;) but I was really disappointed.  I was intrigued by the concept of getting our phone line via our DSL - right now we pay for local calls and DSL through our phone company and long-distance through a 3rd party.  The phone company won't give us a bundle discount because apparently local doesn't count for that, so we pay ~$40/month between the two phone bills (not counting our cell phones, which we use minimally).  There are a few companies which offer devices that do this - MagicJack advertised the most, but I read some reviews and thought NetDUO sounded the best.  ~$80 covered the gear and the first year, then it would be $30/YEAR after that (instead of $40/month).  Huge savings, right?

I've gone back and forth on this, but my conclusion is that the call quality varies between "slightly better than adequate" and "completely useless."  As in, I was all ready to call our phone company and cancel our regular landline, but the interference on the call was so bad the phone tree couldn't figure out what buttons I was pressing.  It seems like most of the time, the call will be reasonably clear on one end and staticky on the other.

As much as I'd love to save $450/year on my phone bill, I want my phone to actually be useful as a phone!  I guess the next step is to add up how much time DH and I actually spend on our phones and see whether that $450/year would pay for us to have phones we could use for more than just emergencies . . .

For work, I have Voice Over IP (VOIP), which is what you're doing here. Call quality stinks, especially if someone in the house looks at YouTube video or browses a web site. It also sends calls directly to voice mail; I just missed a call from by boss even though I was sitting right next to the phone the whole time. I knew about the call because the phone happily beeped telling me that I had a message.  >:(
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

GSNW

« Reply #3928 on: April 12, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »
We ordered a new sink from Lowe's.  Our old one was junk and I really wanted a nice DEEP single-basin sink.  I found just the one I wanted (available special order only) and a good faucet to go with.  Ordered both together and verified that both could be picked up together at Lowe's when the sink came in.  Paid at time of order.

1.  Got a call two days later informing that the faucet was in stock, would I come get it?  No, I said, I don't want it until the sink comes in.  Verified again that I could pick up both together.

2.  Got an email informing that the sink would be shipped to the store that is about 25 miles from my home.  Reiterated that I needed it shipped to the store 2 miles from my home, yes, that's where I want it, that's where it needs to go.  Order had to be canceled and re-processed for this to happen.

3.  Got a call informing me that sink had arrived.  Yay!

4.  Drove to store to get sink the day after the phone call.  Advised by CS desk that sink was at the 25-mile away store.  No apology, the guy could not have cared less.  Basically... go get your sink and get out of my face.

5.  Drove to far away store in Saturday traffic.  Fun.  Arrived and caused mass confusion as they searched high and low for sink.  Turns out sink WAS AT THE STORE CLOSE TO MY HOUSE THAT I HAD ALREADY BEEN AT.

6.  Went back.  It took them an hour to find the sink, at which point I was hoping would be big enough to drown myself in.  Again, no apologies or "sorry you've been wasting your time all day..."

7.  Sink comes out.  No faucet.  Apparently since I didn't pick up the faucet when they asked, they returned it and refunded the cost on my card (which I should have noticed, but that's hardly the point).

I WILL NEVER GIVE THEM ANOTHER DIME, EVER.  This was in January.  I didn't even bother writing a letter, because literally nothing they could do short of a free lifetime charge account would make me want to deal with their employees again.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3929 on: April 12, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »
The other issue with VOIP, at least here in Ontario, is that it doesn't necessarily register the address correctly when you dial 911.  A Bell landline call will automatically bring up the address for the 911 operators.  A Rogers Cable (in my area) VOIP call will bring up the address but most of the other smaller companies don't bring up the address right away.  There is an extra step involved and if the address isn't correct on the account, EMS could start heading to the wrong address before this is determined.

I still have a landline with Bell.  Mainly because I talked them down in price so it is comparable to switching to Rogers.  I play the two of them off each other all the time, trying to get the best deal.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario